Author Topic: Does anyone else start losing motivation?  (Read 8712 times)

StartingEarly

• Bristles
Does anyone else start losing motivation?
« on: December 06, 2014, 06:45:23 PM »
I have noticed that I don't have as much motivation and feel like I am going through the motions about saving and working.  Knowing that I have years I could go without having to deal with anything seems to lower my sense of need to keep improving things.

matchewed

• Magnum Stache
Re: Does anyone else start losing motivation?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2014, 07:02:31 PM »
I don't always understand this expression. Either you are not living the life you want to live or you're letting other influences decide for you how to live. Saving for FIRE and working are not the only things happening in your life. If they are and you are unhappy then something is wrong that needs to be addressed.

Take some time and introspection and ask yourself some questions.

Where do I want to be or what do I want to do in the future? Really flesh out this answer beyond "Financially Independent". FI will be awesome and all that but you'll get there if you live with an efficient lifestyle. That being said is the life you see ahead of you lived efficiently? If not then the actions you're taking now aren't helping you.

Life and how we live it in the future is an accumulation of all the little things we do in the now and the near future. The person who cultivates skills related to building will probably be someone who can build shit in the future. The person who cultivates skills related to running a business will probably be able run a business in the future. What skills are you building as you work towards FIRE?

All that junk being said if the answer to your question is "there is nothing I want to do, I'm content just sitting here and chilling" then I'd say you're lying given your expressed dissatisfaction.

Take some time and really think about this. The answer that comes to you suddenly may not be the answer. Consider yourself as if you were giving advice to a good friend. What advice would you give to that good friend?

Additionally sometimes our actions move into the realm of habit and stop needing "motivation". Is your savings rate changing or are you just becoming adjusted to your new lifestyle and need to start tackling what I've already gone over? If your savings rate is in flux it may be because you haven't nailed the "sweet spot" for your journey.

StartingEarly

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2014, 07:12:17 PM »
My savings rate is somewhat fluctuating, but it seems more like normal cycles.  I have certain times of the year that have higher expenses than normal or that bring out things overlooked that need money put towards them.  Like this year deer hunting is an expensive time with food and supplies, I also found out my rifle is in desperate need of a trigger job.  I am also spending more this month on things that are a once in a great while items.  My motorcycle suit is wearing out and I found a suitable used replacement, also my hunting gun never found a backup and I found a nice used slug gun I like along with a bird gun both at reasonable prices.

I think some of my unhappiness is the feeling of being stuck.  I am locked into my location for my apprenticeship so I can't move anywhere that I would rather be at.  I don't know that I would due to family, but the feeling of my job and not my family being the cause is less palatable.  I've also had some struggles picking up the ins and outs of my very complicated field lately, so I think some of the stress from that is wearing on me.

matchewed

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2014, 07:19:31 PM »
This will come under the easier said than done category. Focus.

If you're engaging in a complicated field but would rather live somewhere else, focus. Focus on that which would make you happiest. If the job will, then stick it out. Accept the shittiness of the living situation and focus on learning the complications.

If your living situation is what needs the changing then move and switch jobs. The skills you learn as being a person who can live on less the earn will carry you well in a career transition.

Again take some time with this, don't rely on a rattled off response from yourself, and try to perhaps write down some things. Putting it onto paper may help.

I would dig more into the "stuck" feeling. You say you don't like the location, have to for your job. The job is stressful, are you enjoying the work? I'm not going to get too deep into family stuff. That's all going to be based on your values and how you feel around your family. But remember, you only get one shot at this life, if your family relationship is a cause for suffering then that relationship needs to change. That isn't to say you drop the person, but that you reestablish that relationship on terms that makes it one that is beneficial for you and the other family member(s).

Take your time, focus.

StartingEarly

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2014, 07:35:31 PM »
No, the family stuff is what makes me want to stay here.  I have to for the job, I want to for my family, my dad, brother, sister in law, aunts, uncles, cousins, I have a lot of family that is local.

I like what I do, I just know I probably won't like it forever, hence being on this forum.  There's so much that's new right now it's overwhelming, but probably by the time I'm 40 it will just be really boring and I will be done with it.

matchewed

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2014, 07:42:32 PM »
Taking the long view can help. Also finding that in the now which makes you happy can help. What about the job or what things outside of the job do you enjoy or what brings you enjoyment, craft your life around those things.

StartingEarly

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2014, 07:50:36 PM »
I like fixing things at work, sometimes I am able to, sometimes I am working on something that is less than worthless and setting our whole company and ultimately our town backwards.

My hobbies are mainly summer hobbies, I do like ice fishing, but it's a while before that will happen.  This is kinda the time of year that nothing goes on.

Mr. Frugalwoods

• Bristles
    • Frugalwoods
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2014, 08:04:25 PM »
Long term goals have helped my motivation.  While one component of them is financial, I enjoy the non-financial aspects in the short term.  For example:  Mrs. FW and I are planning to eventually move to a rural homestead.  It's going to be great!  In the meantime we're saving money and gathering useful skills.  I've learned to weld, and am studying forestry management principles.

These sorts of short-term education opportunities towards your long term FI goals really keep you going.  Doesn't have to be a homestead... you can easily imagine someone studying to become an open water sailor, or some other such FI entertainment pursuit.

TerriM

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2014, 08:50:53 PM »
I have noticed that I don't have as much motivation and feel like I am going through the motions about saving and working.  Knowing that I have years I could go without having to deal with anything seems to lower my sense of need to keep improving things.

I noticed you're in Wisconsin.  Do you find your motivation fluctuates with the seasons?  If you are less motivated in the winter, could be a lack of Vitamin D.

senecando

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2014, 09:06:19 PM »
I like fixing things at work, sometimes I am able to, sometimes I am working on something that is less than worthless and setting our whole company and ultimately our town backwards.

My hobbies are mainly summer hobbies, I do like ice fishing, but it's a while before that will happen.  This is kinda the time of year that nothing goes on.

Wanted to write to say my best wishes are with ya and that I've recently picked up whittling, which is a great, cheap wintertime hobby. Also, people have started ice fishing down here on some of the small bays and lakes.

StartingEarly

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2014, 09:07:30 PM »
I think it's more of a lack of vitamins C B and R.  It's one of my favorite things and I can't do it half the year.  Maybe regular vitamins would help too.

dodojojo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2014, 10:50:32 PM »
I have to admit I was a bit downhearted this evening after I fiddled with Firecalc.  I must have been inputting some iffy numbers previously because I thought I had a chance of being FI at 55ish.  Tonight, I was getting 60.  And this is even if I invest over 30K for the next 20 years.  Once I get into the late 40's and early 50's, I could also face age/wage discrimination too.  I don't know if I can sock away 30K for the next 20 years. So yeah, I'm a little bit bummed.

And yes, I could lower my expenses, but my FI number is at a certain point because I expect to support an elderly parent.  She is still working, but will likely retire in the next couple of years and has about 40-50K in savings.  We both live in high COLAs.

matchewed

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2014, 06:51:15 AM »
I have to admit I was a bit downhearted this evening after I fiddled with Firecalc.  I must have been inputting some iffy numbers previously because I thought I had a chance of being FI at 55ish.  Tonight, I was getting 60.  And this is even if I invest over 30K for the next 20 years.  Once I get into the late 40's and early 50's, I could also face age/wage discrimination too.  I don't know if I can sock away 30K for the next 20 years. So yeah, I'm a little bit bummed.

And yes, I could lower my expenses, but my FI number is at a certain point because I expect to support an elderly parent.  She is still working, but will likely retire in the next couple of years and has about 40-50K in savings.  We both live in high COLAs.

If all you can put away is 1500 a year then you need to cut your expenses. You're not looking at FIRE at this point but regular old fashioned retirement. 30k over 20 years is nothing. Cut your expenses and get in control of your finances. Also age discrimination for 40's to 50's... unless you're a model or a professional sports figure I'm not sure what job starts thinking 40-50 year olds are old.

neophyte

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2014, 08:29:38 AM »
The way I read that was that dodojojo was talking about saving 30k per year for 20 years.

dodojojo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2014, 09:00:39 AM »
Sorry if that wasn't clear but yes it's 30k every year.

fartface

• Bristles
    • money apple
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2014, 09:14:03 AM »
Write shit down - that's what I do - and it motivates me to stay the course.

Last night I scratched down in my "finance notebook" my savings, DRiPs, Brokerage, IRA's, Roths, and 403b balances from December 2013 then compared them with December 2014 numbers. Yes, I have all this in electronic spreadsheet form, but there was something very therapeutic about writing these numbers down in my little composition book.

I amazed even myself b/c we spent much of 2014 killing our mortgage and my husband has been FIRE'd since June 2013.

End result: we contributed $43,800 into the aforementioned accounts and they gained $22,900 for a total increase of nearly $67,000. That's my annual gross salary! Holy cow. The power of compounding is remarkable.

Try it, it might help you refocus, re-energize, and re-commit to FIRE. Plus these message boards and encouragement from fellow mustachios keeps me going!

Good luck!

matchewed

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2014, 09:22:05 AM »
My bad. :)

Reading comprehension FTW

SporeSpawn

« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2014, 09:34:39 AM »
I've never really lost motivation for the basics of life (eating, sleeping, wearing clothes, moving), and I think of work and saving as basics.

I can't really think of a time I'd lose my "motivation" to be careful with my resources and put them to best use unless I gained the power to create anything I ever need without any input at all.

So, nah.

dodojojo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2014, 02:21:04 PM »
Tinkering again and I feel a little better in that I could retire from FT work in 10 years IF I then work PT until 65.  I'd have to earn a little over a 1/3 of my current income.  I don't actually mind work, I just mind that it takes up to 45-50 hours of my week (getting ready/commuting included), 50 weeks of the year.  Working 15-20 hours a week wouldn't be bad.  The trick is finding PT work that will pay me 35K a year.  I'm not in IT.  Walmart greeter probably won't cut it.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2014, 01:08:31 PM »
I don't always understand this expression. Either you are not living the life you want to live or you're letting other influences decide for you how to live. Saving for FIRE and working are not the only things happening in your life. If they are and you are unhappy then something is wrong that needs to be addressed.

YAY matchewed!

Big +1!

You shouldn't be "motivated" and living differently - you should set your lifestyle to maximize everything you want, and enjoy living.  No motivation is needed for that, you're just constantly in that state.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Beric01

• Handlebar Stache
  • Law-abiding cyclist
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2014, 03:30:22 PM »

YAY matchewed!

Big +1!

You shouldn't be "motivated" and living differently - you should set your lifestyle to maximize everything you want, and enjoy living.  No motivation is needed for that, you're just constantly in that state.

Exactly!

In the past I've found it impossible to stay motivated to keep going on new habits due to my lack of end goals. What I thought I wanted to do and what I really wanted were two different things. Now that I've identified my goals, that's no longer an issue and new habits are incredibly easy (as long as they align with my goals).

5 months into MMM and going strong!