Author Topic: does anybody else have problems sleeping?  (Read 12073 times)

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
does anybody else have problems sleeping?
« on: February 16, 2015, 05:36:37 AM »
     So i've been having this problem for quite a while now and would like any advice on how to fix it. I have absolutely no problem falling asleep. Typically I'm in bed around 10 o'clock and can fall asleep almost instantly. This drives my wife nuts. At that point I am dead to the world and sleep very soundly until ~3 o'clock. After that I am wide awake and cannot fall back asleep. I'll lay there for a few hours and typically fall back asleep right about the time my alarm goes off. This is frustrating because then I don't want to get up when my alarm goes off (5:15a.m.).
     I never feel tired through the day so i don't feel like I'm sleep deprived. I would just like to to sleep continuously until my alarm goes off so I can get my workout done in the morning instead of oversleeping and then having to make it up when I get off work (which sometimes causes scheduling conflict).
a couple things I have considered is
a) staying awake longer in the evening to get my wake up schedule closer to that 5:15 mark.
b) Just getting up at 3 a.m. or whatever time it is when I feel I am fully awake and starting my day at that time hoping that maybe my body will adjust itself as to how long i'm supposed to sleep.
Like I said I'm open for suggestions

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
Re: does anybody else have problems sleeping?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 05:41:28 AM »
I factor numbers in my head when I can't sleep. Generally I fall asleep when I get to an annoying one like 667.

mwulff

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2015, 06:01:16 AM »
As someone who suffers from sleep deprivation I can tell you what works for me:

1. Skip caffeine after 4pm, just don't
2. Give yourself some cool down time before you go to bed. Maybe 15 minutes, no ipad, tv or nothing. Just sit and relax
3. If you do wake up it sometimes helps to just get out of bed and sit in the couch for 5-10 minutes.

I hope that can help :)

lauren_knows

• Pencil Stache
  • Happiness is a choice
    • The Crowdsourced FIRE simulator
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2015, 06:01:38 AM »
My solution: Natural Calm Magnesium before bed.  I've heard smaller doses of melatonin can work too, but I've never tried that.   Natural Calm keeps me asleep quite well.

Also worth cutting back on alcohol, caffiene, and having blackout curtains in your bedroom.

hlflanagan

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2015, 06:13:12 AM »
Boy and howdy, yes. I haven't figured out a solution yet, myself, but I see a naturopathic physician tomorrow and I will pass along any advice.

(I m assuming you already know the usual drill: no afternoon/evening caffeine, no computer-like objects within an hour before sleeping, get plenty of exercise during the day, etc etc etc)

Heather

kathrynd

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2015, 06:19:14 AM »
From what I have read, when you do fall asleep almost instantly, you may be sleep deprived.
Try going to be 15 minutes later, and see if that pushes your sleep ahead.

On the weekends, do you keep to this same sleep routine?

Timmmy

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2015, 06:26:47 AM »
Key thing here is that you don't feel tired throughout the day.  Just get up and get something accomplished.  I wake real well after about 6-6.5 hours of sleep.  Anything 8 or over and I'm groggy. 

Your body is in a nice natural rhythm. Why fight it?

Rezdent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2015, 06:29:30 AM »
I have this sometimes, and if you persistently have this I recommend seeing someone who is knowledgeable about how the body cycles hormones.

Disclaimer:  I'm not a doctor this is just my personal anecdote:

I was told that keeping honey next to the bed would help.  Immediately upon awakening, I take a teaspoon and go back to sleep. It works for me.  It is a short term fix,  though. My real problem was my blood sugar was falling prematurely, and my body was confused into thinking it was time to get up.  Taking honey fixed the issue at the moment but wasn't helping the real issue.
I had 24 hour panel testing done.  It turns out that my body deviates from the normal patterns in several key areas.  So you may not have the same issues I have - you probably don't.

I cut out sweets and alcohol, stopped eating late at night, and moved my exercise to earlier in the day.  All of these were causing late night blood sugar drops.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2015, 06:33:29 AM »
I can relate with your frustration.

I fall asleep pretty easily and for much of the night am immune to all noise, but am a super light sleeper in the morning hours (I have an alarm set for 7:00, normally am up 530-630 range and there is no chance of falling back asleep).

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2015, 07:13:09 AM »
Key thing here is that you don't feel tired throughout the day.  Just get up and get something accomplished.  I wake real well after about 6-6.5 hours of sleep.  Anything 8 or over and I'm groggy. 

Your body is in a nice natural rhythm. Why fight it?

thats what i've been considering. I think I may just be an early morning person. At one point in my life I worked a 5:00 a.m.-3:30p.m. shift and it was by far my favorite work schedule.
I don't think my new job is helping me out any either its no where near as physically demanding.
I could probably cut back on the caffeine a little (especially in the winter time) although I rarely have any past 10:00 a.m.
 Alcohol could also be a factor since I do enjoy a fews brews a week about a 6 pack total. (hope not i really like my beers lol)
I'm pretty good on the screen time before bed (normally reading a REAL book).
My weekends are typically on the same schedule. (we'll got a concert or something once every couple of months but its not typical)
I might have to try the honey and see how that works.
As well as the magnesium just a little research shows it is also good for leg cramps which i do get in the middle of the night on occasion.

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2015, 07:23:52 AM »
A popular theory right now is that two-phase sleep, where people spend a couple hours awake at night, is our natural pattern.
http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-16964783

I agree with the person above who said that if you're not tired, don't worry too much about what you're "supposed" to be doing.

tlars699

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2015, 07:33:11 AM »
A popular theory right now is that two-phase sleep, where people spend a couple hours awake at night, is our natural pattern.

I agree with the person above who said that if you're not tired, don't worry too much about what you're "supposed" to be doing.

That explains parenting newborns and the hedonic adaptations therein.

Irishtache

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2015, 07:44:15 AM »
I was diagnosed with Obstructive Sleep Apnoea(OSA) about 3 years ago. I could have slept all day, fell asleep immediately after tea/dinner, i.e 6pm onwards and dozed fitfully in the chair until bedtime. Snoring was also pretty bad. I had to get up to he toilet several times a night. Felt tired every day and started falling asleep at work, driving etc. That's when I decided to get it sorted. Got a CPAP machine and never looked back. Now, I don't nap very often but I will usualy only sleep 6.5 - 8 hrs any night, even if up late. I now feel very refreshed after 7 hrs or so. I also started waking at 5am or so and staying awake for an hour, going through work issues, composing letters and emails and conversations etc. This I relate directly to worries/stress at work.

Everyone is different, but try avoiding caffeine after 4pm, staying off the computer at least an hour before bed, dark, quiet room (my wife's smartphone annoys me when it chirps during the night with the moronic alerts of her Facebook 'friends') and try not to be stressed or worried or develop strategies to deal with these issues.

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2015, 08:06:36 AM »

That explains parenting newborns and the hedonic adaptations therein.
thanks for the article thats an interest ion theory.
Irishtache did you snore a lot if you don't have your cpap? I don't think I have OSA because i don't snore (according to DW). I do need to get some curtains hung on our french doors. there is a streetlight a few blocks away that I don't notice when going to sleep but drives me nuts when I can't sleep.

choppingwood

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2015, 09:10:44 AM »
A few things that have helped me:

Increase your intake of Omega 3. It increases your serotonin during the day, which stimulates the production of melatonin, which will help you sleep through the night. I found this out while taking supplements to reduce pain from arthritis. The supplements turn out to not be good for you, but there are plenty of food sources.

Staying up a little later often helps me sleep through the night, but it isn't 100% effective.

When you wake up in the middle of the night, try drinking some really cold water. This reduces my temperature, and I'm out like a light.

I've really stopped worrying about it, though. I currently have a dog who insists that I get up early and that gets me going, though reluctantly. I am not sure why she does this, because her previous owners said she liked to sleep in. (Maybe they got up early without any prodding?)

surfhb

« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2015, 09:27:13 AM »
Being overweight, not being physically active, too much sugar or carbohydrate intake, caffeine and alcohol will do it.     Anyone of these sound familiar?

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2015, 09:35:11 AM »
Assuming there are no underlying medical or behavioral (like drinking caffeine, watching tv in bed, etc. ) causes - you just likely don't need much more than 6 hours or so of sleep per night. For better quality sleep and not waking up at 3am you should move your going to bed time to approximately midnight. Try for a week and see if you sleep through to 5am. Try to keep your wake and sleep schedule the same on the weekend. If you are sleeping soundly from midnight - 0500, move your bedtime back by 30 minutes or so and see if you are still sleeping well at that point. There is a summary more of less here: http://www.talkaboutsleep.com/sleep-restriction-therapy-when-nothing-else-works/

AllezAllezAllez

« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2015, 09:39:12 AM »
Really interesting question, to which I can contribute only a couple of anecdotes.

1) Maybe late-night/early morning sleep gets discontinuous with age? I can remember a great-aunt saying she only slept about 4 hours a night, from 11 to 3....and this happens to my mom now sometimes as well. I'm still in my 40s and this does not yet happen to me, but....

2) In the last couple of years I think I have become really sensitive to temperature changes while I'm asleep. I have the wintertime thermostat set to 60 at night, and on weekdays at 68 from 6:30-7:30 am for the morning routine. The heat goes on at about  5:45 or 6 apparently, because I've been waking up early during the week, and I've noticed that when I do, the furnace is on. Cool, steady temps = good sleep, for me, so that's something you might want to consider.

SingleMomDebt

« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2015, 09:42:00 AM »
Well it could be MANopause ;)
Kidding aside I have the same issue. Started taking Magnesium 200-300mg about 2 weeks ago. Sleeping through the night so far. Best to you finding resolve and slumber.

Prepube

• Stubble
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2015, 01:28:21 PM »
Ambien.

trailrated

• Handlebar Stache
  • a smooth sea never made a skilled sailor
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2015, 02:57:13 PM »
Ambien.

I got hooked on it, would sleepwalk and send random text messages (including but not limited to, a picture of my toe, and random thoughts that had nothing to do with anything) Also realized I had raided the fridge a few times while sleepwalking. The strangest was when I was visiting Germany. I "came to" walking on the third floor of a parking garage a block and a half away from the hotel I was staying at only in my boxers. Needless to say the front desk people found it funny when I wandered back in around 3 in the morning. I bet they thought I was drunk, I can't believe they didn't stop me on the way out. Needless to say I stopped taking it shortly thereafter but it was awful to try and sleep for those first few weeks without it. 

aj_yooper

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2015, 03:53:10 PM »
I occasionally have this issue too.  It's not bad if you have stuff to do earlier in the day.

Falling asleep toooo quickly is a tell.  But I agree, if you don't feel tired during the day when you awaken earlier than usual, it might be that you don't need more sleep that day.  Follow the rules about screen time, alcohol, eating, and exercise before bed.  Good luck.

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2015, 04:10:29 PM »
Ambien.

Would really like  to avoid this if possible. I feel like since I am awake and alert all day I'm not ready to go there yet.

Allez I'll have to try lowering the temperature. Now that you mention it I do notice that the nights I have more trouble sleeping are the nights the heater runs more. The thermostat is in a different room and our bedroom always feels a little warmer than any other room.

Thanks everybody for the advice. I'll guess I'll just start changing variables and see what helps.

Letj

• Bristles
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2015, 06:05:37 PM »
I occasionally have this issue too.  It's not bad if you have stuff to do earlier in the day.

Falling asleep toooo quickly is a tell.  But I agree, if you don't feel tired during the day when you awaken earlier than usual, it might be that you don't need more sleep that day.  Follow the rules about screen time, alcohol, eating, and exercise before bed.  Good luck.

RTFLMAO, sorry but this is too funny!

Letj

• Bristles
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2015, 06:06:39 PM »
Ambien.

I got hooked on it, would sleepwalk and send random text messages (including but not limited to, a picture of my toe, and random thoughts that had nothing to do with anything) Also realized I had raided the fridge a few times while sleepwalking. The strangest was when I was visiting Germany. I "came to" walking on the third floor of a parking garage a block and a half away from the hotel I was staying at only in my boxers. Needless to say the front desk people found it funny when I wandered back in around 3 in the morning. I bet they thought I was drunk, I can't believe they didn't stop me on the way out. Needless to say I stopped taking it shortly thereafter but it was awful to try and sleep for those first few weeks without it.

RTFLMAO, sorry but this is too funny!!

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2015, 06:15:58 PM »
Melatonin works really well for me.  I also added the Flux program to my computer, which cuts out the bright blue light at night.

MikeBear

• Bristles
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2015, 07:14:25 PM »
Melatonin works really well for me.  I also added the Flux program to my computer, which cuts out the bright blue light at night.

I recently switched from Tylenol PM every night (I heard it can cause Alzheimer's, and I've taken two each night for YEARS), to Melatonin, and I get massive dreams with Melatonin. I mean dreams that make me feel like I've been worked over by a baseball bat after waking up! I need to find something else with no side effects, but it's not easy. I work permanent 12 hour nights and sleep days. I have OSA, use a C-pap (for 18 years), and chronic headaches due to nerve damage from my neck being broken twice (snowmobile accident, followed by a Chiropractor breaking it again years later during an adjustment) it was finally surgically fused in 2007)

Anyway, I've been functioning for years in sort of a slightly dazed Twilight-zone, so you aren't alone.

jba302

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2015, 07:40:36 PM »
I take melatonin, guanfacine, sometimes ibuprofen. I have ADD so the guanfacine is a script. Also used to smoke pot solely for sleep purposes which worked ridiculously well but now I'm married so no longer an option.

Scnrn

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2015, 08:36:55 PM »
Have to second it on the melatonin dreams.I tried it because it helps my Mom with apparently no ill effects. For me,horrid,vivid nightmares.Darn!Will look into the Mag.

trailrated

• Handlebar Stache
  • a smooth sea never made a skilled sailor
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2015, 08:36:34 AM »
Have to second it on the melatonin dreams.I tried it because it helps my Mom with apparently no ill effects. For me,horrid,vivid nightmares.

+1 on that, like severed heads floating and screaming... fucked up shit. Not trying that again. I have just settled on not sleeping overly well and waking up a few times in the middle of the night. You get used to it.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2015, 02:01:16 PM »
Yeah, I noticed a few years ago that I had bad insomnia that came and went - separate from the pregnancy insomnia that plagued me during the first and third trimesters.

After paying attention to it a few times, I noticed a few things:
1.  Stress-induced insomnia from work
2.  Hormonal induced insomnia.  I noticed that I don't get it every month, but when I do, it's 3 days, and it happens when I am ovulating (sorry if TMI, but this is, in fact, why we have a second child. Because the first night of insomnia I went to the gym at 3 am.  The second night I didn't.)

I've worked really hard over the last couple of years to reduce the work-related stress as much as possible (in my office, this is VERY difficult).  I also simply started taking Unisom nightly - this allows me to fall back asleep within 1/2 hour instead of being up for 2-3 hours.

I'm in a bad hormonal spell right now (don't worry, no third child) AND a bad stress spell AND I have a cold AND my toddler was sick last week.  So I had a few days of bad sleep from the toddler and it just rolled over to the bad hormone streak.  So the last two nights I didn't sleep well and didn't even fall asleep until after midnight 1 am, despite the Unisom and the Nyquil for the cold. It's some stubborn stuff.  And it's annoying.  At least I know that at worst, I only have one more night.

My neighbor up the street (two of them) are women in their 50's who have insomnia also from 1 to 3 am or so every night.  They just get up and do things and then go back to bed.  That leads me to believe it might be somewhat "natural" to our bodies (and maybe even hormonal). I  would totally do that and not stress about it if I weren't working 8 hours a day.

As it is, I figure I can handle a few days of no sleep. I  really try to sleep and force it, but last two nights I just have been reading.  Other times, depending, I may knit/ crochet or yes, go to the gym at 3 am.  Our house is small - if i could figure out how to get out my quilting gear or cook without waking everyone, I would do that. I figure I might as well be useful if I'm awake. I would have done work last night except I don't bring my computer home anymore.  Maybe I should do PTA stuff. Hmmmm.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2015, 04:21:22 PM »

I've done both of these in the past year. For those suffering from Melatonin dreams, perhaps a lesser dosage would solve this problem? Or a different brand?

I try to stop drinking caffeinated tea by 12 or 1pm every single day! Same goes for sugar anything and chocolate.

I also sleep best in a very cool bedroom. We have the ceiling fan on pretty much every night of the year, and the windows open a crack, even in the dead of winter.  My husband piles on the extra blankets on his side of the bed :-)

When I find myself awake and unable to sleep in the middle of the night, if it lasts for longer than 5-10 minutes and I find my mind starting to race, I take a melatonin right away.

ETA: pm

AJ

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2015, 04:45:23 PM »
I also use Melatonin to help me stay asleep. It gives me dreams at higher doses, but not at 3 mg or less. I suggest starting with 1 mg and see if that helps (in pill form, that is - there is a sub-lingual form that is much more potent).

Irishtache

• Stubble
« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2015, 05:03:01 AM »
Being overweight, not being physically active, too much sugar or carbohydrate intake, caffeine and alcohol will do it.     Anyone of these sound familiar?

Yep, that's me!

To earlier poster, my snoring was very bad for many years, even as a newly wed and a lot lighter! No more snoring, wife sleeps much better now too!

projekt

• Bristles
« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2015, 02:28:31 PM »
I can't sleep through the night unless the room is really DARK. Also, white noise helps - an air purifier or fan does fine. I would not want to try nightly pills of any kind until I had tried the lifestyle and environment advice people have given.