Author Topic: document old PO Box  (Read 1083 times)

bogart

• Handlebar Stache
document old PO Box
« on: March 19, 2021, 06:13:11 PM »
My dad died in 2015, leaving a very modest estate and no will.  I settled the estate. 

I've recently discovered there is some unclaimed cash in his name and have filed paperwork to claim it.  Most of this is pretty straightforward, but he used a PO Box for some mail and I have no ready way to document that the PO Box was his (unlike his other address, for which I can provide documentation).  I do know it was genuinely his; I remember it and know he used it for stuff he didn't want my mom to know about. 

I've been asked to provide documentation ("... such as a past utility bill, bank statement, credit report, etc...") and would not at this point know from whom to request such documentation. 

The unclaimed cash (it's just 1 amount, I don't know how much) associated with that address was reported in the year 2000.  I don't know how long he kept the PO Box; I really don't remember.

Does anyone know if the Post Office itself can provide documentation of the previous owner of a PO Box?  Any other ideas for how I might obtain documentation related to this? 

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
Re: document old PO Box
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2021, 06:19:05 PM »
Did you check his credit report?  If listed, that should work.

I had an unclaimed money situation with my own PO box years ago.  However, the state was able to verify it through their searches.  (I assume through my credit report).

Hope this helps some!

bogart

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2021, 06:30:21 PM »
Thanks!  I thought of that but wasn't able to access any reports for him online -- given that he passed away almost 6 years ago I'm not sure credit reports would still exist.  The system didn't show me any but did say they might be available via mail, so that may be worth digging into.

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2021, 01:12:28 PM »
You can also try background check websites like Intellius.com. They tend to have as much info on a person as you can get and it goes back quite a ways. I think a single report is about $35 but they'll show you some stuff for free as a "teaser" to buy the full report.

bogart

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2021, 09:06:18 PM »
Thanks!  Intellius isn't giving me any info. for free at this point, but does report it has info. (seems plausible based on the sorts it's saying) and will sell it to me for $12, which is a subscription I can then cancel.  I may do that.