Poll

Do you value travel as part of your journey to FIRE?

Yes, of course.  I love to travel.
Yes, but not until I reach FIRE.  Until then my hair is on fire.
Yes, but only budget travel like camping or short driving trips.
No, I tried travelling, but it's not for me.  I can see why some would like it.
No, travelling is a useless waste of money.

Author Topic: Do you value travel?  (Read 19286 times)

JoyBlogette

• Stubble
    • My Journal
Do you value travel?
« on: August 04, 2014, 10:20:33 PM »
Seems like a lot of travel hate going on in the forums.  Just wondering if this is the vocal minority or if the majority of people are anti-travel.

MsRichLife

• Pencil Stache
    • Living My Rich Life
Re: Do you value travel?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2014, 10:51:46 PM »
Seems like a lot of travel hate going on in the forums.  Just wondering if this is the vocal minority or if the majority of people are anti-travel.

I absolutely value travel. It's the one thing I will happily spend a chunk of my budget on. I think there is just so much to be learnt from experiencing other parts of the world, and truly don't think you can put a price tag on those experiences.

Before my son was born, I used to travel cheap. I've backpacked all over the world.

Now that we have a toddler, we travel differently. Usually we rent a cabin, beach house or go on a farmstay. We intend to start camping again once the weather warms up.

When FIRE finally arrives I have dreams of slow, long-term travel around the world. DH is yet to be convinced on that one though!

<Edited to add: We are FI and close to RE and save 50% of our income. If I was in a debt emergency, I'd reconsider how much I spend on travel>
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 11:33:35 PM by MsRichLife »

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2014, 11:02:18 PM »
Travel is fabulous. I love it and do it frequently. I also save 60-65% of my income and am well set for ER in about 10 years.

That said, some people posting here, mostly newbies and case studies, just can't afford it and are harming themselves financially by doing it.

In my personal opinion, if you have any debt or have less than half your income going towards investments, you can't afford travel outside of camping or visiting friends a few hours away.

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2014, 11:33:43 PM »
I ticked the "I tried travel and its not for me box", which was the closest fit.
I spent a lot of time travelling when I was younger, and from time to time travel for work. And I loved every minute of it. But my wander lust seems to have worn off with time. I now have a few select destinations I would like to see, on my bucket list - mainly remote places that are expensive. Surprisingly if I never do them it doesn't really worry me, whereas when I was younger I was really keen.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2014, 11:39:49 PM »
I've just been perusing Home Away for self-catering places in Prague and Sibui/Sighisoura, Romania. Good lord those places are mustachean! I've gotta get FI so that when I spend the money on plane tickets,  I can stay there a while.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2014, 11:42:01 PM »
Before FI I hadn't traveled much - well, I used to travel 6 times a year for work. As it was the "inside a plane, inside a computer room, inside a hotel room..." type of travel, it didn't inspire me much. As my parents live 7 1/2 hours drive away, I have also traveled a number of times a year there - but again, leaving work early on Friday, and leaving their place at lunch on Sunday (or Monday if it was a public holiday) doesn't do much for me. And I have traveled overseas a few times, for special things.

But, like Happy, apart from a couple of things that are really important to me, travel wasn't on my radar. So, travel wasn't on my FI list.

Since FI, my parents have needed visiting more, and I have started to do more than just go up and down the highway. I started by just staying a couple of extra days. Later, I thought - why not come home the long way - and take an extra day or 2, or even a week? And why not try a number of long ways? Australia is certainly a beautiful country, and I could keep on trying different long ways for as long as they are alive.

And then I realised that I could go to places that I had only heard about - Lake Mungo World Heritage area, Brewarrina Fish Traps (thought to be the oldest piece of extant "building" works in the world - and as they were used for 40,000 years, the oldest in continuous use)  even though they really don't look like much, just rock patterns in the river to trap fish - and started to go on month long trips around parts of Australia.

Is this traveling? I'm not sure. But I do it very cheaply, sleeping in my car, and camping in places with few facilities, because National Parks tend to interest me, and tend to be very cheap. It is certainly often out of mobile phone range. And yesterday when I told the people in the camping store about my next trip they were very envious when I told them where I am going. I told them they could retire sooner than they thought if they saved half their income.

MsRichLife

• Pencil Stache
    • Living My Rich Life
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2014, 11:46:47 PM »
Is this traveling? I'm not sure. But I do it very cheaply, sleeping in my car, and camping in places with few facilities, because National Parks tend to interest me, and tend to be very cheap. It is certainly often out of mobile phone range. And yesterday when I told the people in the camping store about my next trip they were very envious when I told them where I am going. I told them they could retire sooner than they thought if they saved half their income.

Of course it is. You don't have to spend $$$ to go travelling :)

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2014, 11:49:37 PM »
And then I realised that I could go to places that I had only heard about - Lake Mungo World Heritage area, Brewarrina Fish Traps (thought to be the oldest piece of extant "building" works in the world - and as they were used for 40,000 years, the oldest in continuous use)  even though they really don't look like much, just rock patterns in the river to trap fish - and started to go on month long trips around parts of Australia.

Sounds wonderful Deborah - that is the sort of travelling I am interested in.

Ian

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2014, 11:52:18 PM »
I voted no. While I do believe that experiencing multiple parts of the world is helpful, I feel as though traveling usually doesn't make you experience anything but the familiar tourist path. No matter how far you get from tourist traps, you're still drifting through a country, engaging with it at a distance instead of actually living anything like a normal life.

Nords

• Magnum Stache
    • Military Retirement & Financial Independence blog
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2014, 12:49:58 AM »
To be clear, I don't particularly enjoy the process of getting from one place to another.  Especially if it involves midwatches and engineering drills.

I enjoy exploring a new place on foot (or by public transportation) and living there like a local.  Three weeks is a start, a couple of months is better.  It was even better when we were stationed there for months or years.

I also enjoy traveling to blogger conferences, and I enjoyed going to my daughter's college weekend events.

I voted no. While I do believe that experiencing multiple parts of the world is helpful, I feel as though traveling usually doesn't make you experience anything but the familiar tourist path. No matter how far you get from tourist traps, you're still drifting through a country, engaging with it at a distance instead of actually living anything like a normal life.
If you're doing it during a few weeks of vacation from a corporate job, then you're not going to be happy.  When you're able to spend months traveling at your own pace, then you can live there like a local and have a more fulfilling experience.

Beric01

• Handlebar Stache
  • Law-abiding cyclist
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2014, 01:33:02 AM »
I budget $2K/year for it, or 10% of my spending. So yes, I really value it.

A big goal behind travel for me is to decide where I want to retire once I reach FIRE (it won't be in the US). This year I went to Japan. Next year it's gonna be Brazil (I have a friend there who'll show me around), and the year after it'll be Malaysia/SE Asia (I have a co-worker from there).

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2014, 01:57:30 AM »
"Value" is an odd word here.  I travel a lot for work now and this lets me tack on personal trips here and there sometimes but they are always poorly planned and short.  I was at the grand canyon for like 5hr.  But dont do a lot of personal travel except to see family for long weekends.  I think in many ways I am normally burnt out from the work travel to much want to go on personal travel.

Deborah / Nords: You sound about right on this.  The short 4-7 day vacations can be 'fun' but you dont really get into the place or know the locals or see the really cool stuff or have the time to go see what is over there for a few days.  I do spend some on travel now, I could see spending more post FIRE.  Campervanning around the south west sounds f-ing awesome.

Did not check a box on the survey, none of the answers really apply.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 01:59:39 AM by AlanStache »

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2014, 04:06:38 AM »
I went for: "No, I tried travelling, but it's not for me.  I can see why some would like it."

I'm in my early/mid-twenties and everyone my age and generation is supposed to LOVE travelling. We're all "Hey, I'm going to Bali for a month!" or "I just love saving turtles in Peru!" It's like travel is necessary to make you an interesting person but most of the people I know who have "travelled" are the most boring people I know because they buy into voluntourism package holidays.

I've been interailing and round a lot of Western Europe with my family, and have discovered that most places are just like home but the weather is slightly different and everyone speaks a different language (but most people speak English too). The life that my OH and I are setting up for ourselves will mean that going on holiday will be a HUGE hassle because we'll need people to cover us for so much and look after the plants and animals, but I'm fine with that. I don't need to go away to find myself, or even just to have a bit of fun. There are enough museums and walks right here at home.

Having said that, there are a few places I would love to go to: Switzerland (the lakes and mountains), Japan (but I have to learn Japanese first!), and I'd love to go back to Iceland (I went a few years ago in October and the landscape really was something else - it was the only place I have ever been that was truly 'other').

CJMcF

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2014, 04:25:04 AM »
Yes - I love to travel. I think that all travel is good - seeing new places, getting a different perspective on things, just getting away from my routine - it freshens things up and gives me new ideas. I've never felt that any money that I've spent travelling has been wasted - it's all been part of life

EarlyRetirementGuy

• Stubble
    • Early Retirement Guy
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2014, 05:19:29 AM »
I'm not really a fan of holidays. I suppose travel could be considered different however I really dont have the time to travel properly for months on end like I used to when I was a backpacker... so I'm stuck with holidays mostly to appease my partner.

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2014, 05:47:03 AM »
None of the poll choices really apply, so I didn't check off any. I don't like the touristy travel that so many people do…I don't get it. It's expensive and not relaxing. I think in some circles it's almost obligatory--the minute people get some time off work, they think they have to go somewhere, take a lot of pictures of it, and come home and brag to their friends.  I like to be home, just enjoying day-to-day life and doing whatever I want. Maybe that's what people call a stay-cation. Having said that, if I have a concrete reason for going somewhere, then yes, I like to travel. Some examples: Harp gatherings, or visiting French and Indian War sites. I play the harp, and I am planning a series of novels set during the F&I War. So going to the folk harp festival in Somerset, NJ, or taking a road trip up through northern NY, Montreal, and Quebec would be something I'd like to do. (Actually, I've already done those things--great fun!)

JoyBlogette

• Stubble
    • My Journal
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2014, 08:07:19 AM »
Lots of good responses so far.  Sorry that some didn't feel there was an appropriate choice for them.  I'll be interested to see if the results swing much to the other side after voting is open for a bit longer.

MillenialMustache

• Bristles
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2014, 08:50:13 AM »
My husband always jokes that if we didn't spend money on travel, we wouldn't spend any at all. We save over 50% of our income and probably 25% of what we spend in a year is travel only. We do three week long vacations a year if we can. Some are cheaper, camping-type trips (we met in a camping club), and some are Alaska, Italy, etc.

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2014, 10:26:07 AM »
I am currently at the cusp of a travel sabbatical, so my answer to the question is obviously yes. :)  Plus I really want a long break from work right now, and I can afford to do so. Happy to delay retirement, or just have an early semi-retirement instead of an early full retirement, for the sake of traveling a bit more at this stage. Prior to the sabbatical decision I didn't travel all that extensively. But when I did go overseas I made the most of it - usually the aim is to be away for at least 3 weeks, sometimes 4. Travel also ties in with my love for food. I'm yet to meet a cuisine I didn't like. :D  I guess I am naturally quite curious, I enjoy using more than one language and observing in what ways people are vastly different and yet also the same from place to place, and there are just so many interesting and delicious things in the world.

I am also interested in living (and possibly working) in other countries. I already have two countries I call home, they're very different and yet both so enjoyable, I think there are so many places out there that would be great to experience as well.

rujancified

• Stubble
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2014, 11:45:11 AM »
Travel is my #1 financial priority. I want to RE so I can long/slow travel. I want to live in other parts of the world and deeply experience other cultures.

I know that's not true for everyone, but to each their own. My parents+extended fam are 1k miles away and my brother and his family are 3k, so we spend a chunk of change on travel annually. I don't have a car/clothing/shoes/stuff habit because I have a travel habit.

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2014, 11:55:06 AM »

I think it's a pendulum thing.  Both here and in the real world a lot of people are really gung-ho about traveling.  I think on this forum people got tired of travel seeming like an unquestioned sacred cow.  So it might just be that the travel haters are more vocal.  As I'm writing, travel lovers make up the large majority of voters.  But I think not liking travel begs for explanation so you have more non-travelers weighing in.

I love it, but I also totally take to heart the argument that too often it's approached in a shallow way.  'Mona Lisa, check.  Saved some turtles, check.  Pyramids, check.'  Once you start researching trips more extensively so that you can make something really meaningful happen you find a) it's very possible to do closer to home and b) sometimes it's very difficult to do in an exotic locale.

blackomen

• Stubble
  • Antifragile since 1983
    • Gimme Serendipity (a Stumbleupon Clone)
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2014, 12:00:12 PM »
While travel isn't everything in life, its a major priority when it comes to my discretionary spending.

marblejane

• Bristles
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2014, 12:10:04 PM »
I would be curious to see a poll option along the lines of "Travel is important to me for visiting family & friends."

I pretty much only travel to visit family & attend weddings, so I'd be curious to see how many of us use it as a tool to visit family, versus destination travel. Or maybe the poll is only counting destination travel?

MidwestGal

• Stubble
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2014, 12:26:49 PM »
One of my top reasons for FI, so yes, absolutely!  As another poster mentioned, travel differs with the different parts of your life.  We're currently in the more 'touristy' traveling point of our lives with a younger kid.  Right now it's mostly car camping, driving destinations with some overnights, cheaper stuff.  Any overseas trips are just not in the budget right now.

After any and all little ones are gone, and our life goals are achieved, we wouldn't mind WWOOFing around the world, doing Peace Corps, or Medecins Sans Frontieres to help folks and actually get to live in some off these places without the lure of tourist traps.  We're a volunteering family and that would accomplish multiple things at once!

rujancified

• Stubble
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2014, 12:28:13 PM »
I would be curious to see a poll option along the lines of "Travel is important to me for visiting family & friends."

I pretty much only travel to visit family & attend weddings, so I'd be curious to see how many of us use it as a tool to visit family, versus destination travel. Or maybe the poll is only counting destination travel?

My family is all remote from me, so we travel quite a bit for obli-cations (just learned that one last week!). I love my family and making time for them is important. I try to spice up the routine of going to the same places over and over by adding nearby destinations or trying to see other local friends. And this is the first year in the last 14 where I didn't have at least one wedding to attend, so I feel your pain there. I am personally invigorated by destination travel (the planning, the anticipation, and the execution), but not everyone I love enjoys it as much as I do (notably my parents). I've learned to compromise.

So, while I prefer destination traveling for the new experience/other culture factor, I try to soak up the people factor for the more obligatory travel.

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2014, 12:39:09 PM »
Yup.  Very, very much so.  Right now, our travel budget is probably about 20% of our expenses!

DH and I will be living in Europe for about 3 years.  It is much, much easier (and requires far less travel time) for us to see this part of the world while we live here.  I have no doubt that if I posted my travel budget for this year, many people here would gasp and deliver face punches.  We are aware of costs and don't travel lavishly, but nor do we watch every penny.  And mostly, we travel a lot.  In the months of July and August, which are admittedly a bit of an anomaly, we'll have done 4 days in Italy, 12 in Scotland (our longest trip ever and most are 3-4 days), and a 10 day (second longest trip ever!) Baltic cruise. 

It's our hobby, and really the only one we spend significant money on.  Also, this pace is temporary.  In less than a year, we'll have almost no time to travel for a few years, so we know this is shorter term thing.  But we will always be travelers and we'll always have a fairly large travel budget. 

That said, I think that we've done so very much travel, that we'll likely feel the need to do less of it in retirement than we'd planned.  Not only will we have seen many of the places on our wish list, but I think travel is losing a bit of it's luster.  That may change after some time off, but the emotional return is diminishing. We'll see.  But I don't see ever being rid of the travel bug. 

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
  • So Close went fishing on April 1, 2016
    • Journal
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2014, 02:42:37 PM »
Were planning on using about 25% of our ER budget for travel.  The plan is to go international every other year and spend the rest traveling the US to see landmarks, hunt/fish, and visit family/friends.  I can easily see marking off my international destinations after 10 trips or so and being content to travel the US.  Domestically, I prefer to drive vs fly because I enjoy seeing my country, and also enjoy camping not only due to the cost, but also due to the folks you meet.  Tent campers tend to be more mustachian.

Emilyngh

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2014, 02:50:06 PM »
I replied that traveling is not for me.

I've traveled a great bit in my life, and I just am not a fan.   Most of it has wound up being a PITA without experiences that really made it worth it, and I've been all over.   There were only a few places that I enjoyed visiting (Costa Rica and Venice are 2 that come to mind).   So, I don't plan on traveling, traveling, traveling. 

But, we might carefully consider where we really want to go and then maybe take a bigger trip every 3-4 years or so to go somewhere we really want to (with other years being limited to visiting family and day trips).   As of now, I really have no desire to go back to anywhere in Europe (where I've really been all over), nor Mexico, Caribbean, or anywhere in the US East coast or midwest, but am possibly interested in seeing more places in the US South, and possibly Asia.   But, again, no more often than every 3-4 years.

FIence!

• Stubble
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2014, 03:02:38 PM »
It's like travel is necessary to make you an interesting person but most of the people I know who have "travelled" are the most boring people I know because they buy into voluntourism package holidays.

They can then sniff, after hearing of someone's fun holiday at a resort, "Oh, so you didn't see the real Mexico/Thailand/Jamaica/Wherever."

MidwestGal

• Stubble
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2014, 03:09:41 PM »
It's like travel is necessary to make you an interesting person but most of the people I know who have "travelled" are the most boring people I know because they buy into voluntourism package holidays.

They can then sniff, after hearing of someone's fun holiday at a resort, "Oh, so you didn't see the real Mexico/Thailand/Jamaica/Wherever."

Ha!  I know plenty of folks who resemble that remark.  The way I see it, if you care enough to spend and go, then it counts.

Peach Fuzz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2014, 05:59:33 PM »
Most definitely. If I could swing it, I'd quit my job, buy a truck with a camper bed and travel the country. I'm pretty adventurous and would love to explore other countries/cultures too. I've only been overseas once, but it was amazing. Wanted to go back ever since.

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2014, 07:16:35 PM »
I LOVE travel, and a major chunk of my annual expenses is spent on travel.  My spreadsheet shows that I have spent an average of $6700 per year on travel over the last 5 years but that has included:
* 2.5 weeks cruise around the horn of south america & antarctica
* 4 weeks in philippines & palau
* 2 weeks cruising the caribbean
* 12 weeks traveling across central asia from Nepal to Armenia
* 2.5 weeks in Paris and Norway
* 4 weeks of travel on the transsiberian railway from St Petersburg to Bejing via Mongolia
* Shorter trips near the US - florida, grand canyon and Las Vegas, Canadian Rockies
* 3 weeks in Romania and Turkey
I would say I got my money worth!

Weedy Acres

• Bristles
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2014, 08:10:55 PM »
Absolutely love and value travel, especially the Mustachean-friendly meandering around 3rd world countries with a backpack.  Been doing it for over 25 years, 40+ countries and counting.  I'd love to see them all. I'm saving Europe for when I'm an old fart and need a bit more comfort and convenience.

JustTrying

• Stubble
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2014, 09:13:16 PM »
My main reason for wanting to retire early is so that I can travel!!!

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2014, 09:19:45 PM »
i love to travel.. thats my wife and I's primary reason for ER... i want to travel the world slowly... we may RV around the states and then do 3+ months in different areas of the world... i like how gocurrycracker does it alot...

jennifers

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2014, 10:37:56 PM »
I used to love traveling.  Then I got a real job. 
Now all I can do on vacation is worry about what I'm missing at work.  It's also become a huge pain to plan things around my busy work schedule and my boyfriend's nearly opposite schedule.  (He has to work holidays at the hospital, but around holidays is the best time for me to take off). 

Also, my longest 'vacation' ever at this job starts tomorrow.  3 days at a work-related conference!!

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2014, 11:48:23 PM »
" Yes, but only budget travel like camping or short driving trips."

This poll option makes it sound like camping is some sort of sacrifice in order to save money.  On the contrary, even if it were 10x as expensive, it would still be the way to go for me.  The natural splendor, the campfire in the middle of nowhere, the vast constellations, and everything else dwarf even the nicest hotel to me.

The Hamster

• Stubble
  • Vivere intus vestri mediis
« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2014, 12:04:53 AM »
I am torn between the first option and the last option which are complete opposites.  While I love the idea of travelling I can't help but think that it is all such a waste of money once I am back.  I haven't done a lot of travelling in comparison to most people my age, and while I enjoy the experience I always question whether or not it was the best use of my money.  I also find travelling on a "holiday" quite stressful and exhausting and usually look forward to coming home after 2 or 3 weeks.  My ideal travel would be to just roam around the country on my own time without a planned destination. 

That said, I am looking forward to my upcoming trip to Nepal and really want to visit Greece and Turkey as well.

Phil_Moore

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2014, 05:35:35 AM »
I ticked the "I tried travel and its not for me box", which was the closest fit.
I spent a lot of time travelling when I was younger, and from time to time travel for work. And I loved every minute of it. But my wander lust seems to have worn off with time. I now have a few select destinations I would like to see, on my bucket list - mainly remote places that are expensive. Surprisingly if I never do them it doesn't really worry me, whereas when I was younger I was really keen.

That saved me some typing. Exactly this.

Oldsmobile

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2014, 05:42:31 AM »
Guess I'm in the minority here.  Don't like traveling and have no desire to go piss away money on a trip when I've got things to do at home.  Flying terrifies me.  Driving is a chore.

And like Homer says, "What's the point in going out?  We're just going to end up back here anyway."

simonsez

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2014, 07:10:19 AM »
Yep, I value it, I value the hell out of it.  It has many short-term and long-term benefits to me.

I very much enjoy the planning phase.  Don't have to nail it down to the minute or even that specific but it is very satisfying to thoroughly enjoy various experiences after doing homework and setting up the requisite logistics to do them.

I also enjoy the traveling itself.  Well mostly, except for unpacking.  But everything else, packing, driving, flying, riding, walking to/fro just to get to and from destinations is cherished.  The technology and ability to travel to locations in hours* rather than weeks or months always easily trumps any minor inconveniences of the travel itself.

*-whenever I fly, just after takeoff, I usually lean over to my wife and whisper something like "We're fucking flying!  Can you believe it?!  We're humans, we're not supposed to be up here, this is awesome!" or "this sure beats walking there".

Then obviously you get to what you were traveling for, be that meeting up with friends and family at a beach house or cabin, enjoying your honeymoon, camping next to a pristine lake, immersing in culture, rocking out at a music festival, cruising the tropics, carousing on a bachelor/ette party, hiking in national parks, celebrating a friend's wedding, whatever the case.  To me, the memories you create with loved ones (including yourself) while experiencing something outside your normal day to day life last a lot longer than the duration of the trip and in doing so, keep making that ROI better as time goes on and you reflect on it or get together with people and reminisce.  Plus, the more you travel, the more savvy you get and are usually able to get more bang for your buck.

Definitely a topic that is highly subjective and I can envision where others might not like it so much, I probably won't enjoy travel as much when I am older and/or have young children and cannot do all the activities or plan something at the drop of a hat anymore.  It can be a financial and time drain, but there have been many trips that I would still consider worth the effort and cost even if the price increased by a factor of 2 or 3.

Basenji

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2014, 07:44:26 AM »
*-whenever I fly, just after takeoff, I usually lean over to my wife and whisper something like "We're fucking flying!  Can you believe it?!"
Awesome. We quote Louis C.K., "You're sitting in a chair in the sky. You're like a Greek myth right now."
http://youtu.be/b3dYS7PcAG4

pachnik

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #42 on: August 06, 2014, 07:52:16 AM »

I am very similar to Happy in this.  Travelled and loved it while younger, now I prefer going to places a few hours drive away for a long weekend.

Plus I agree with Zikoris for myself - I am not saving 50% (close to 40% though) so I don't really feel that I have the $ to spend on travel other than short inexpensive trips.  FIRE is more important to me than travel.

lakemom

• Bristles
« Reply #43 on: August 06, 2014, 08:40:51 AM »

Even based off the responses in this thread, there seems to be a HUGE discrepency in the definition of "travel."  IMO it means leaving your place of residence to visit/sleep in a different place.  Be that across the state or across the world.  Many seem to think that grabing the family and heading to a state park 3 hours away isn't "traveling" but if not, what is it then?  We LOVE to travel whether it be 3 hours by car or 5 hours by jet.  The more expensive vacations are only once every 5-6 years but the hop in the car and take a "vacation" happens 3-4 times per year.  Sometimes just the hubby and I, sometimes us and the 2 kids still at home full time, and sometimes everyone and their SO rent a place somewhere and spend time all together away from the demands of home and hearth.  I really think most of the "hate" comes from defining travel as an all or nothing, no holds barred, expensive trip to somewhere exotic.

simonsez

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #44 on: August 06, 2014, 08:44:19 AM »

...definition of "travel."  IMO it means leaving your place of residence to visit/sleep in a different place.  Be that across the state or across the world.
Yup!

rocketpj

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #45 on: August 06, 2014, 08:58:41 AM »
I love travelling, though I haven't done it 'seriously' in many years.  I did a lot of it in my 20s - at the time I rationalized it as enjoying part of my retirement while I was still young enough to appreciate it (I still think it was worth it).

It is much harder and more costly with kids.  We can't just show up in a city at 10 pm with no accommodation and 'figure it out', we have twice as many plane or train tickets to buy.  So we haven't done very much of it outside of family trips - but I have zero doubt that my future will include travel.

That said, I am pretty much done with backpacking - basically hostel and restaurant trudging on the gringo trail.  When I go places I will stay for awhile and get to know them - that could be 2 months or it could be a year.

Albert

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #46 on: August 06, 2014, 11:16:17 AM »
Certainly, it's by far the biggest item on my discretionary budget. My parents live 2 1/2 h flight time away and I visit them at least twice a year, but I also love traveling to all kinds of other places. Some trips are only a long weekend in some big city not too far away or two days of hiking in the mountains, others could be several weeks in some far away destination. Including bank holidays and overtime I have about 8 weeks of time off work and I spend very little of it (1-2 weeks) without going somewhere or having visitors from abroad.

dcheesi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #47 on: August 06, 2014, 12:31:02 PM »
I definitely value travel, but I'm not sure where I stand at the moment. I've been doing less and cheaper travel the past few years, but more by accident than design. The people I would normally travel with haven't had a lot of time or money lately, so the grand vacation plans have been curtailed in favor of smaller events and shorter trips (or just events around town).

Yet somehow, I still manage to spend a mind-boggling amount over the course of a year. It really makes me wonder how much I was spending in the old days, before I was Mustachian enough to really keep track of it.

I'm itching for another big international trip next year, and I know my travel companions are as well. But I just don't see how they're going to pull it off without me paying for everything, which I'm not ready to do.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #48 on: August 06, 2014, 09:14:38 PM »
on the hierarchy of smart life and well being decisions travel ranks above buying stuff so it is of little surprise a forum full of frugal people value something that is higher on the totem pole than buying stuff. 

MMM wrote an article about it.  in the end i think it you answer YES to number 1 the most mustachian thing to do is be a nomad with very litlle possessions besides trip memories and photos as you travel the globe. 

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #49 on: August 06, 2014, 09:53:49 PM »
I love to travel - trying new cuisines, hearing different languages, seeing natural wonders. Time seems to expand when not in your natural surroundings - it seems like a week away on vacation lasts a lot longer than a week at work.

But I am starting to question my FIRE travel plans. It's such a big part of my budget (which doubles as an emergency safety margin), that I wonder if I was forced into FIRE this year by a layoff if I would be OK with a slightly smaller travel budget. I think the answer is yes.

I've travelled a lot already, but I've noticed my travel tastes have changed now that I'm in my 40s. I'm focusing more on nature, athletic pursuits (skiing, week-long cycling trips through beautiful country, strenuous hikes), visiting friends and generally more of the slow travel type of activities. I expect this to further change as I get older.

I've always thought that I wanted to pack my travelling years in my 50s and 60s. By the time you are in your 70s, the type of travel you can do or be interested in would be very different, if at all. That's why I always say I am perfectly content with retiring early and enjoying my 50s and 60s travelling and doing other interesting things, even if that leaves me with less money in my 70s. If I have surplus money, health, and energy in my 70s then that is a bonus. But if due to health or dwindling funds I cannot continue this in my 70s, well then I'd be perfectly happy spending those years reminiscing about my exploits in my earlier years.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!