Author Topic: Do you try for earned income after FIRE?  (Read 2066 times)

Roland of Gilead

• Handlebar Stache
Do you try for earned income after FIRE?
« on: May 24, 2015, 07:24:42 AM »
We retired this year (end of March) and maxed 401K, HSA, and two deductible IRAs.    Spending next year will be about $40k which is covered by our portfolio earnings.

We are still youngish (mid 40s) and could do some work next year (skills: software engineering, electrical engineering, welding, construction) to gain earned income such that we can contribute to IRAs for 2016 tax year.

Curious if any of you who are retired bother to do this?   I would like to get the saver's credit just one time, for the hell of it.   I am trying to think of the laziest way to get $2000 of earned income.   A software contract would get way more money than we need but likely would be 6 months long.   Writing a app and trying to sell it leads to uncertain income.  Mowing grass for money is not fun.

The best I can come up with right now is to try and get the shortest possible software contract starting in fall 2016 and ending in spring 2017, giving us earned income across both tax years.

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: Do you try for earned income after FIRE?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2015, 07:40:26 AM »
I'm planning to. Both for some extra cushion and because the jobs may be interesting and for charitable purposes. Plenty of people here make money after being retired. MMM is just one example. They seem to make much more money per unit of effort than when they had to work for a living.