Author Topic: Do you trust Progressive home insurance?  (Read 2595 times)

samsonator54321

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Do you trust Progressive home insurance?
« on: November 21, 2017, 06:50:51 AM »
We’ve always had progressive car insurance and they have treated me well. I trust them and have had good service with a claim in the past.

Anyways I use their homeowners insurance because I get a multiple policy discount. However, it’s not actually owned by progressive, they sell it off to a third party that doesn’t have very good reviews.

We own 2/3 equity in our house now so I’m rethinking this decision. My thoughts are that if something were to happen to the house I’d want an insurance company that I can drive down to and deal with them face to face if they are trying to get around paying me what I’m owed. I feel like with the way it’s setup now I’ll be helpless and they can just bump me around on the phone.

On the other hand I’m thinking there has to be some sort of regulations protecting me right? Like even if they are hard to deal with if my house has an issue that is covered then eventually they will have to pay me the money just like any other insurance company?

If I switch to say a State Farm or a Farmers  it will be more expensive but I’m having trouble deciding if that peace of mind is worth the extra money. Anybody else struggle with this?

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
Re: Do you trust Progressive home insurance?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2017, 06:59:07 AM »
Posting to follow. We're in the same situation re: having progressive for both. I didn't know about the contracting out the policy thing. How do you find out the details on that? Thanks.

slappy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2017, 08:02:48 AM »
Honestly, I don't think going down and seeing them face to face would make much of a different. I don't imagine it's the agent making the decision to approve or deny a claim. I have State Farm currently and I'm looking to move because of the cost.

trollwithamustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2017, 08:13:44 AM »
Have  you ever filed a property insurance claim?

It is a very administrative / paperwork process.  Regardless of your insurance company or their sub, if you can document stuff and do it their way, its super easy to get paid. If you think you will just go down face to face with your agent and chit chat will get you a big check then that's probably not gonna happen.  The insurance adjustor is a different person who is supposed to be from somewhere else/uninvolved.

If you are worried about getting paid, look up how/ what insurance adjustors do and what you can do to do their job for them. (i.e. how to make it easy for them to pay you)

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2017, 06:58:36 AM »
I had a terrible experience with Progressive auto insurance a bit over 10 years ago and refuse to do business with them. I'd gotten into an accident that was 100% covered by the other person, yet I was subjected to a 15 minute phone call with an incredibly condescending agent that kept trying to say I'd done something wrong even though I wasn't even making a claim!

We use a local insurance company whose rates are fairly competitive. Initially I went with them because my parents use them for their business insurance, but the few times we've had to make auto claims and one large home claim (a break-in a few years ago) the adjusters were amazing to work with.

For anyone reading this in Wisconsin, it's West Bend Mutual. Don't think they go outside WI though.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2017, 02:32:41 PM »
Following. We have Progressive/contract insurance for both, but I've never had to make a homeowner claim. Have had to with auto and never had a problem there.