Author Topic: Do you really need a couch?  (Read 9379 times)

panda

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Do you really need a couch?
« on: August 01, 2019, 11:13:16 AM »
DELETED
« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 08:37:20 AM by panda »

FIRE@50

• Pencil Stache
Re: Do you really need a couch?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2019, 11:35:34 AM »
What about naps???

dcheesi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2019, 11:36:36 AM »
"Need"? No, you won't die without a couch. Last time I moved, I dumped all of my previous furniture, and used a pair of camping chairs as my "couch" for the first month or two.

However, it is pretty inconvenient in certain situations. The aforementioned "date" scenario is a big one, as is lazily sprawling out for a nap and/or to read or watch TV during the day.

I wound up ordering a cheap futon mattress and frame online, and it worked out pretty well for me. It fills the roles of couch and guest bed equally well (better for the latter than a sleeper sofa), and it's relatively easy to move and deal with. And it only cost me a couple of hundred USD.

slow hand slow plan

• Stubble
  • Living the dream
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2019, 11:39:13 AM »
Just get a couch. They are pretty much free on craigslist , marketplace.... etc. rent a truck from home depot or uhaul for 20$ and move one in. If you end up not using it someone will pick it up for free off craigslist.  have you ever sat on a couch? Everyone has one for a reason.

AMandM

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2019, 12:02:13 PM »
Assuming you have people over from time to time, you need places for them to sit in comfort, but it doesn't *have* to be a couch.  The advantages of a couch over multiple chairs, imo, are (1) space efficiency--three or four comfy chairs take up way more space than one couch and (2) decorating ease/attractiveness--one reasonably attractive couch can serve to anchor your other decorating choices, whereas multiple chairs tend to give the room either a disjointed look (if they're all different) or an institutional one (if they're all alike). But if those aren't important factors to you, and you have enough chairs, then no, you don't need a couch.

slappy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2019, 12:45:21 PM »
I threaten to get rid of my couch on a daily basis. My kids treat it like a jungle gym. So, no I would say you don't need a couch. But my husband hasn't let me get rid of it yet, so clearly I am in minority of believing that.

jfer_rose

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2019, 12:48:37 PM »
You do you! Personally, I love having a couch but if you and anybody else who is frequently in your home are happy without one, the opinions of a bunch of strangers on the internet won't matter.

I follow a blog of a family in NYC and they had a cot instead of a couch and it worked for them.

DeniseNJ

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2019, 12:51:10 PM »
but are there really any compelling arguments to have besides (I was really told this) "where else do you cuddle and and make out"?

Um, that's a legit concern.  Sometimes you don't want to move into the bedroom too quickly.  The couch let's you try it before you buy it, as it were.

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2019, 01:06:36 PM »
I'm considering getting rid of my couch. I'm thinking a love seat or recliners. My couch is too shallow for the type of make out sessions or cuddling I want to do anyway

FIRE@50

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2019, 01:14:55 PM »
but are there really any compelling arguments to have besides (I was really told this) "where else do you cuddle and and make out"?

Um, that's a legit concern.  Sometimes you don't want to move into the bedroom too quickly.  The couch let's you try it before you buy it, as it were.
This genuinely made me laugh. It also made me thing about how long it has been since I was single. The math is hurting my brain.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2019, 01:17:52 PM »
A couple of nice armchairs and footstools would be comfortable and hospitable, easier to transport and more flexible in arrangement in small spaces.  For making out use your words rather than letting the couch do the talking.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2019, 01:21:10 PM »
One decorating trend I have seen i recent years is to have 4 upholstered chairs arranged in a square, around a coffee ta ble.

How many people,do,you regularly need to seat?

DeniseNJ

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2019, 02:07:01 PM »

It might be a legitimate concern, but I'm spending at least $1,000 on a couch (most likely $2,500 since I'm mindful of manufacturing and VOCs in things) because I might have someone over that wants to make out for a bit. Kind of feel likely a bit too old for that, seems too much like playing games. Plus, I was told my last (really nice) couch wasn't good for cuddling or making out anyway. :D

I have TWO couches from IKEA for about $500 each.  We had one couch but the kids would literally sit on top of me when I was napping when they were smaller.  Then when I cleaned out and organized the finished basement room to make it teen friendly, I got them a tv, video game system, and a couch for making out.  Keeps teens out of the bedrooms and off the streets. It was $85 on craigslist, super sturdy, the kind of couch you reupholster instead of throw out.  I clear my throat loudly at the top of the steps every once in a while so things don't get too steamy, ;) but honestly I don't think anyone's made out on it yet.  My kids are 19 and 17--some kids are renting motel rooms by the hour at that age.

stoaX

• Handlebar Stache
  • 'tis nothing good nor bad but thinking makes it so
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2019, 02:14:02 PM »
Just get a couch. They are pretty much free on craigslist , marketplace.... etc. rent a truck from home depot or uhaul for 20$ and move one in.

Another example of being environmentally friendly and a mustachian at the same time!  Now if you could only fit that couch onto your bike trailer...

Fru-Gal

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2019, 02:21:20 PM »
I ditched the couch years ago. Love my vast living room!

dcheesi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2019, 07:43:29 AM »
Not the OP, but I think the sticking point for them on Craigslist (and possibly IKEA) couches is that they're concerned about the chemicals they'd be bringing into their home. And I have to admit, I now have my own concerns about that, after reading things like this:

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/science/this-everyday-chemical-was-cast-aside-its-replacement-might-be-making-cats-sick

One of my own cats was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism within a year of moving to my current location (with the aforementioned addition of new furniture). Prior to that, I'd been living in a house with older carpet and furniture. Obviously I can't say if the new environment and/or furnishings were implicated in her condition (and her sister shows no signs of thyroid issues), but it makes me wonder.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2019, 07:45:09 AM by dcheesi »

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2019, 08:13:23 AM »
Not the OP, but I think the sticking point for them on Craigslist (and possibly IKEA) couches is that they're concerned about the chemicals they'd be bringing into their home.
This is indeed a concern, plus I'm in an area with bedbugs so anything fabric is suspect. With regards to new - a lot of the cheaper couches are for a reason. It seems like the starting point for good materials and worker practices tends to start at around $2,000.

Wow, really? We get “furniture store quality”  sofas that are around $800-$900 and they were made in the United States. Perhaps that doesn’t ensure a quality working environment, but I know they’re not overseas made items. Now I will say that these have uninspired design style but they are solid construction and solid fabric.

januarian

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2019, 09:03:32 AM »
OK, this is a different perspective than the more practical ones that have been shared so far, but if you are at all interested in interior design or style (and you want another interesting way to not justify getting a couch), there are plenty of interesting ways to arrange a living room without a sofa. I used to live in a tiny 100-year-old duplex with old wood floors and high ceilings and the arrangement of doorways and a fireplace just made it hard for me to fit a couch in my small living room without it looking awkward, so I got this pair of cool antique armchairs off Craigslist and they looked awesome in there. People would compliment me on my interior design skills when it was actually an accident. I also find that the quintessential American living room layout of a big sofa facing a TV is kind of boring from an aesthetic perspective, especially if you don't watch much TV (kind of like designing your life for the 1% of times), and isn't that conducive to a group of people sitting around and chatting.

If you google "couchless living room", you can find plenty of inspiration.

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2019, 04:51:09 PM »
Sometimes four comfy stuffed chairs around a low or even a card-playing size table is an excellent choice. Deep purple velvet if I ever get a chance:) or deep bottle green or four different deep, dark colors.
A mish-mash of chairs not so much but as long as the height of the chairs is equal it would be fine.

I've always hated small overstuffed rooms with large couches and mandatory recliner.
Since, I've relented on the recliner because now I have one that's beyond comfortable to the point I can actually rest in it.
Now it has become my favorite reading spot - I added a daylight bulb to my reading lamp - huge difference, doesn't tire your eyes as much.

Couches are fine too as long as they work as intended, right sort of fabric, right length and depth - comfy enough to sleep on it.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2019, 06:20:47 AM by Rosy »

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2019, 05:04:21 PM »
Wow, really? We get “furniture store quality”  sofas that are around $800-$900 and they were made in the United States. Perhaps that doesn’t ensure a quality working environment, but I know they’re not overseas made items. Now I will say that these have uninspired design style but they are solid construction and solid fabric.
True, but my experience has been that if I'm looking for a wool fabric, hardwood frame, and are mindful of the stuffing,  the prices tend to start around $1,000 on the low-end / on sale. Once you start factoring in design - let's face it, if you buying something you will be living with for years you should be happy with it - the prices end up starting at about $2,000. Perhaps it's not fair to say prices start at $2,000, but most of the couches I have bookmarked as prospects are all around that price point.

Oh, wool—nope. I am happy with poly. We allow our dogsto get on furniture so we swap out every few years due to dog smells.

mountain mustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2019, 06:10:51 PM »
I couldn't live in my house without a couch. I have crazy back problems, and sitting sucks/is painful for more than 10-15 min, so I spend a lot of time laying sideways or all the way down on the couch (I'm an athlete and train a ton, and don't just spend all day on the couch, I promise, but when it's time to rest, it's nice to be comfortable) I try not to spend tons of my time hanging in my bedroom, or else I find it really hard to get good sleep in there, so it's important to me to have a comfortable place when I want to rest. Also if I have more than 4-5 people over, it's nice to have a couple couches that everyone can fit on. I recently went over to a newer friends house and they had 3 big recliner chairs in their living room, and that was it....there were about 6 people over and some had to sit on the floor. I kept thinking if there was just a couch in addition, we'd all have a comfy place!

I should edit to add...I am a "comfy house" type of person. When I have friends over, they lay on the couch too...my house is warm and inviting and I'm not big on what the "style or design" is, and instead more focused on it being comfortable, welcoming, and a place I want to hang all the time. So that is just my personal preference, and why I really like having a big comfy couch!

afterthedark

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2019, 11:48:39 PM »
I have a couch, but it is on my list of things I would donate when I move. Whether I’d replace with another couch, an armchair, or something else, I’m waiting till the situation happens. Obviously couches are optional, many people round the world manage without.

I like to treat situations like you are in at the moment as an experiment. Why not see how you get on without the couch for a few weeks. I did that when my fridge/freezer went wrong 5 years ago and still haven’t replaced it.

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2019, 05:41:23 AM »
I lie on the couch in the afternoons when I read. At night, I sit on the couch for some TV watching. (Currently binging on Longmire.) I live alone, but like having a couch because there is plenty of room for both me and the dog on it. Hmmmm--not sure about making out on it--my husband has been gone since 2014, and would be a pretty hard act to follow. I suppose if I hooked up (I'm almost 70) at this late date, I could always buy a bigger couch--to fit myself, my dog, and the hypothetical new guy.  : D

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2019, 06:48:41 AM »
About six months ago, a former student of mine (I used to be a college professor) reminded me of something I used to say to students about taking advantage of their relatively free, unattached lives in their early twenties: “Don’t buy a couch.”

A couch, in my experience, is an article of furniture that ties you down more than most. It’s not easy to move, not easy to dump. It’s anchor furniture, meaning once you buy a couch, you’re likely o buy other expensive pieces of furniture to go with it. Then before you know it, you’re loathe to pick up and leave the country or something because moving represents such an effort.

My student, who had a great time traveling the world and then moving to NYC on a whim and building a career, told me my advice was true. After she was done doing all the fun, ambitious stuff, she found her partner, they moved to Chicago, and now they have settled down and started a family.

And bought a couch.

Chickadee

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2019, 10:22:22 AM »
We got a couch from Costco (leather) - great quality.

I do not know if YOU need a couch. We get time on ours. I am online from it and we nap on it. We also have friends over quite a bit :)

I really enjoy reading on it - as opposed to at my desk in a chair or in bed.

We do not get back in bed after we make it in the morning till bedtime so couch is our "comfy" seat.

noplaceliketheroad

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2019, 08:17:45 PM »
COUCH IS LIFE!

But in all seriousness, my life is better because of my big, awesome, fluffy, aesthetically pleasing couch. Where else to plop after a monstrously long day? Where else to recuperate during a cold? Where else to spontaneously fire up some romance with your significant other (or new romantic partner)? Where else to cuddle the pup? Where else to burst into tears after receiving bad, heart-wrenching news? Where else to laugh your ass off at a new binge-able comedy?

It's the couch. The answer to all is couch.

Don't get me started being invited to someone's house for an intimate gathering, and the only seating option being floor. My god, the horror.

MrThatsDifferent

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2019, 08:20:44 PM »
Don’t be one of those guys that barely has furniture except a video game system. Get a couch, be adult. It can be super cheap, but have one, that’s what the space is for.

Gail2000

• Stubble
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2019, 08:34:58 PM »
A couple of nice armchairs and footstools would be comfortable and hospitable, easier to transport and more flexible in arrangement in small spaces.  For making out use your words rather than letting the couch do the talking.

I see wing back chairs and the intro to master pice theatre playing. Perhaps a smoking jacket and a bubble pipe ( I hate smoking that much to replace it even in theoretical daydreaming).

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2019, 05:21:36 AM »
Okay, so if the only type of sofa you are willing to own is solid wood and wool, then no, don't bother spending on an expensive sofa that you don't even really want.

There are no rules, you don't need a sofa, it doesn't make you less of an adult. Do whatever the hell you want.

I don't have any sofas or chairs in my living room. I have two large chaise lounges facing opposite ways so that two people can lounge facing each other and chatting. No TV in the room so that's not a factor.

My chaises are modular though, so they can be converted into sofas, two twin beds, or one king bed. We rarely have much company over, but our furniture can adapt if needed.

Do whatever you want, it's your house.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2019, 06:34:01 AM by Malkynn »

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2019, 06:15:31 AM »
Personally, I prefer couches to armchairs . . . but you do you.  All furniture is optional . . . although I'd probably recommend that you throw some blankets or a rug of some sort down on a concrete floor as a concession to comfort.

KBecks

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2019, 06:22:08 AM »
Of course not.  You should have chairs, though.   Make out in the kitchen.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2019, 06:25:44 AM by KBecks »

mtnrider

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2019, 07:12:51 PM »
I've lived for a long while without a couch.  I don't miss it.  I wouldn't buy one on my own accord.

But they're not awful.  If you are going to live somewhere for a while and you have a significant other that prefers one, get an inexpensive one.

I wouldn't buy a couch from a yard sale, and I certainly wouldn't dumpster dive for one.  Bedbugs love them.

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2019, 09:59:41 PM »

Couches are great.  I usually find 10X more spare change under the couch cushions than any of the chairs, so a couch will often pay for itself in a short time.  I've never found a TV remote in a chair, so if we didn't have a couch I'd have had to go out and buy a lot of new remotes too. 

I think if a person had enough couches he could probably retire on the spare change they produce.  ;)

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2019, 10:07:37 PM »
Generally, a coach is needed for kids or if you're an elite athlete. Or maybe if you're starting weight training. Otherwise, skip it.

;)

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2019, 11:10:56 PM »
We don't have one. We would have to make serious sacrifices in order to free up enough space for one, due to the size of our apartment - namely, we wouldn't be able to do home exercise videos anymore, vacuuming would be much slower, and we would just basically have no space to walk around or do anything else.

Also, I think having a couch encourages sitting more and being more passive, and basically I don't want being in front of a television to be too comfortable - it's good to have a bit of discomfort there so we do less of it.

nmitb

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2019, 03:37:24 AM »
Where are you going to lay around all day?

And think of all the money you find down the sofa!

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2019, 08:21:57 AM »
I use the hell out of the couch. It is a comfy place to flop down and read, watch TV, or nap. The kids and dog can snuggle there. I have a couch in the family room that was shockingly expensive (down cushions, etc.) which is 20 years old and looks great and is so comfortable. LOOKS GREAT - and has made it through 4 moves, 2 children from infancy to age 16 (so far), multiple cats and dogs. Second couch was purchased 2nd hand and is also at least 20 years old and is a fantastic piece of comfortable furniture.

I mean, you don't *need* one in the sense that you won't die w/o one - but why wouldn't you want one?

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2019, 09:00:16 AM »
I use the hell out of the couch. It is a comfy place to flop down and read, watch TV, or nap. The kids and dog can snuggle there. I have a couch in the family room that was shockingly expensive (down cushions, etc.) which is 20 years old and looks great and is so comfortable. LOOKS GREAT - and has made it through 4 moves, 2 children from infancy to age 16 (so far), multiple cats and dogs. Second couch was purchased 2nd hand and is also at least 20 years old and is a fantastic piece of comfortable furniture.

I mean, you don't *need* one in the sense that you won't die w/o one - but why wouldn't you want one?

IDK, if I only had the option of buying sofas for thousands of dollars (as per OP's stated requirements), I wouldn't buy one either. Some things are worth the cost, some aren't, it depends on the person. It sounds like it's super well worth it for you, but is it really all that surprising that it isn't worth it for others? Especially maybe those of us who don't have TVs in the living room, or kids, or a lifestyle where we would ever "use the hell out of the couch"?

Why wouldn't I want a $2500 couch?? Because I don't see $2500 of value in it.
It's not that I'm all that frugal either, there are plenty of things I would spend $2500 on for 20+ years of joyful use, a couch just isn't one of them.

Different strokes for different folks.
Isn't that the whole point of this place???

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2019, 09:44:28 AM »
We don't have a "proper" couch right now, just a smallish "loveseat" style couch upstairs (and it was $25 at a thrift store last year).  Large enough for two people, but not large enough for a 5'11" guy to sleep on without bent legs.  It does the job.

Though despite being in a relationship and cohabitating for eight years, I don't think we've ever made out on the couch, even when we had one before.

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #39 on: August 07, 2019, 11:15:59 AM »
We have the Ektorp from IKEA and it is the best thing since sliced bread.  Nothing better than lying one it after the kids are in bed with a glass of wine and a book or laptop with Netflix. 

When I first visited my inlaws I remember that there just seemed to be something off about their house but I coudn't put my finger on it.  It was only later that I realized that they didn't have a couch - just lots of chairs.  So weird.

renata ricotta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #40 on: August 07, 2019, 02:21:05 PM »

It might be a legitimate concern, but I'm spending at least $1,000 on a couch (most likely $2,500 since I'm mindful of manufacturing and VOCs in things) because I might have someone over that wants to make out for a bit. Kind of feel likely a bit too old for that, seems too much like playing games. Plus, I was told my last (really nice) couch wasn't good for cuddling or making out anyway. :D

What games are these? The games whereby you mutually enjoy physical affection with a person you are getting to know better? Masters of manipulation, I'm sure -- any serious dating candidate would immediately jump to the true intimacy of being too tired for sex and bickering about each other's relatives.

My formal decree is that especially if you're too old for making out, you're too old not to have a couch. If I went to a date's house (for any activity) and they didn't have a couch I would assume, fairly or not, that they're still in the maturity phase of not being able to let go of their frat boy years. Triple that if your "guest seating" incorporates bean bag chairs.

meghan88

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #41 on: August 07, 2019, 03:07:18 PM »

My formal decree is that especially if you're too old for making out, you're too old not to have a couch. If I went to a date's house (for any activity) and they didn't have a couch I would assume, fairly or not, that they're still in the maturity phase of not being able to let go of their frat boy years. Triple that if your "guest seating" incorporates bean bag chairs.

LOL ... so true.  Have you considered a modular sofa?  Easy to move, easy to split up into chairs.

Radagast

• Magnum Stache
  • One Does Not Simply Work Into Mordor
« Reply #42 on: August 08, 2019, 12:17:59 AM »
I lived for about 8 months in an apartment with no couch, and never again! I realized it is to me about the least optional furniture. Anything could become a table. Especially when I was single, a couch have doubled as a bed. Even now, the couch and coffee table are top of the list, alongside a bed.

Ironic thing is so far I have never paid for a couch, and right now we only have a love seat, which is pushing the limit! :D

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #43 on: August 08, 2019, 04:54:14 AM »
OP, looking at that Eames chair, I just realized that my parents don't have a sofa. They have some larger rattan chairs off the kitchen that fit two people, but cannot be lounged on by a single person, and they have only Eames type chairs in the living room.

Growing up we also only had chairs in our family room. We had sofas in the more formal living room, but we only used them with company.

If you don't have a lot of guests and are comfortable lounging in an Eames type or Lazy Boy type chair, then who cares if you have a sofa?

The issue I would take with your setup is that you only have one lounge/comfortable chair, which means you have nowhere cozy for a single guest to sit. When there's a group of people, they tend not to be too picky about seating, but for me, when I have a single guest over, it's usually to settle in for awhile and talk etc, so I want them to be optimally comfortable.

Even just a nice plush ottoman with a comfortable sitting chair would do.

dcheesi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #44 on: August 08, 2019, 05:36:56 AM »
Yeah, I really feel like there's a lack of comfy furniture there. The arms on those director's chairs don't look very inviting.

Also the furniture is just a little sparse for the size of the living room.

A couch would fix both issues.

insufFIcientfunds

• Stubble
« Reply #45 on: August 08, 2019, 05:38:10 AM »
Not sure if you are going for free chemical, male/female bodily fluid infused, bug infested CL (I picked one up from a dumpster once) couch, but if you plan to buy a decently priced couch, it will cost you much less than buying two arm chairs in most cases. Especially if that arm chair has an ottoman.

If not, buy a love couch. Smaller, cheaper, and forces her to be close to you from the start. Who makes out on the couch? She's all stuck in the middle cushion?? Maybe try the dryer (running preferably.) Makes you look responsible for actually cleaning your things, and I'm sure she wouldn’t complain either! :)

Or just sit on the floor....

Ann

• Bristles
« Reply #46 on: August 08, 2019, 06:59:48 AM »
While there are several reasons to get a couch, it sounds like none of them strike a chord with the OP.  If you don’t want a couch for  sprawling, napping, making out and accommodating a more variable number of guests .. then don’t bothering getting a couch.  Especially since the OP’s standards make couch purchasing start in the $2000 range.

If you have comfortable seating for guests they will be accommodated.  It really sounds like you, OP, just don’t *want* a couch.  It appears as though some people will judge but that’s a peculiar point to get hung up on.

Me?  I love my couch.  I love it when other people have couches.  I wouldn’t hold it against anyone as long as they can comfortably seat me.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 07:11:07 AM by Ann »

DeniseNJ

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #47 on: August 08, 2019, 08:10:48 AM »
For the record and to quash any "frat boy" comparisons, this is what my living room currently looks like.

* 68567807_402118573756859_1511760138082451456_n.jpg (385.76 kB, 2048x1536 - viewed 11 times.)

lol  Even your cat doesn't want to sit on those chiars.  Get a couch.

mountain mustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #48 on: August 08, 2019, 08:39:55 AM »
For the record and to quash any "frat boy" comparisons, this is what my living room currently looks like.

* 68567807_402118573756859_1511760138082451456_n.jpg (385.76 kB, 2048x1536 - viewed 11 times.)

lol  Even your cat doesn't want to sit on those chiars.  Get a couch.

Yes, or just some comfier chairs. Your living room may not say "frat boy" but it certainly doesn't say "stay awhile and make yourself at home"

index

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #49 on: August 08, 2019, 09:59:31 AM »
Get a loveseat. You can get something decent quality from Joybird etc. for 12 to 15 hundred. 

That room would look nice with a love seat, the nicer chair and one of your two coffee tables.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!