Author Topic: Do you like your job?  (Read 14516 times)

Breadwinner

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Do you like your job?
« on: September 08, 2014, 11:15:22 AM »
I am eager to hear from people who like their jobs. I am pretty stressed a work. I have about 15 years  till FI at the rate I am going. I feel like I should be considering a job/ career change for the last leg of my journey to FI. However, I have lost faith in the "do what you love, and the money will follow" theory. Please, if you like your job or are even somewhat satisfied, let me know what you do for a living.

Thanks!

RichMoose

• Pencil Stache
  • RiskManagement
    • The Rich Moose | A Better Canadian Finance Blog
Re: Do you like your job?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2014, 11:37:57 AM »
Yes I love my job! I currently work in infrastructure / transportation planning and protection for a municipal government and have been doing this for about 1.5 years, before that I was a police officer. My area is currently undergoing a huge economic boom and with that comes companies who just think they can do what they want to "get the job done", destroying millions of dollars of taxpayers infrastructure every year. Essentially I work with a great group of people to plan roads and routes for industrial and commercial traffic and then enforce laws so that our roads don't get destroyed by heavy vehicles. It's a great job and I like seeing the positive outcomes of our work. There is some satisfaction in handing a careless construction company a bill for several hundred thousand dollars for road repairs, protecting taxpayers from that expense. It's amazing how many people in this world think that the government possesses a magic pot of endless money that falls from the sky, not realizing that the money comes from all of us.

That being said, I probably will be tired of this after 15 years because we get a lot of flak from company managers, lawyers, etc who get very upset about the bills we send them. If it wasn't for the people I work with and the support we get from the elected officials and general public, this job would be an easy road to quick burnout.

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2014, 11:44:30 AM »
I do like my job, although I don't want to get into the specifics because it's a pretty small niche. Let's just say a non-profit in the arts/education area. What I like about it, though, is transferable...co-workers who are reasonable people and have similar financial values (no big consumers here), a fair amount of autonomy, and the opportunity to see projects to fruition and know I have accomplished something.

Whether you should change careers is beyond what I can give advice about...but why not look for a new job (unless you really truly hate your whole field or job prospects are really limited?) I am always surprised in these forums when people are looking at whole new careers or other major life changes when a job change might address the issues they are having. (I get that job searches aren't always easy, but the other things people are looking at are usually even harder).

I have an acquaintance who definitely falls in the "work to live" category...likes but doesn't have a passion for his work. It took him four tries to find the job he has now, which he likes a lot. Tried consulting, major corporate, family owned business and now in a smaller, privately owned business over about 15 years, all in the same general field of work.

Jane

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2014, 12:13:39 PM »
I don't hate my job and I'm not miserable right now. I'm never going to like working for someone else so this is the best I can hope for.

What makes this job tolerable, and almost likable, is that I like my environment and coworkers. I work from home most of the time and I like my team. I'm very introverted, and I hate sitting in an office. Plus when I'm done with work I can do other things around the house. I find for me, as long as I'm competent at my job, the environment plays a much bigger part in my work happiness than the actual work.

SpareChange

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2014, 12:44:18 PM »
I like my job and career for the most part. I've been a radiographer in a hospital setting for about 2 years now. It keeps me physically, socially, and mentally active. Very little paperwork involved. Pay is good. Working in a hospital you get to see the best and worst of humanity, I suppose. Shooting xrays is pretty cool. I get lots of story material from the stuff I see :). Flexible work environment too...easy to take off work on short notice, work a different shift, reduce hours, etc. 

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2014, 12:50:29 PM »
I love my job.

In your position, I wouldn't consider 15 years of misery a trade-off for FIRE.  I would consider doing what you enjoy. 15 years is a long time to do something you hate. 

TheGadfly

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2014, 01:17:51 PM »
I love my job.

In your position, I wouldn't consider 15 years of misery a trade-off for FIRE.  I would consider doing what you enjoy. 15 years is a long time to do something you hate. 

I agree.  I just recently left a nice cozy position in the Federal Government doing almost nothing!  The pay and benefits were pretty incredible for the amount of work I was expected to do (~$62k).  If I stayed there for 3 or 4 more years, I could depend on a $90k+ salary for the rest of my life with ironclad job security.  Instead, I took an exciting position at a private social policy research firm ($57k starting).  Best decision I've ever made.

I was lucky, however, since the new job is located in a city that is about 20% cheaper to live in so the pay cut was not that traumatic.  Still, I didn't realize how unhappy I was at my old job until I got a new one.

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
  • Live on minimum wage, earn on maximum
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2014, 01:24:45 PM »
People don't quit jobs,  they quit managers. 

Breadwinner

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2014, 01:28:37 PM »
Funny thing is, I like the work just fine, the people are great, and I work from home 100% of the time. The deadlines are soul-crushing though. I am afraid of putting all my eggs in a new career basket, only to end up in another high stress situation. I thought hearing from others might give me perspective.

I work in the retirement industry, which is why I got interested in FI. I get the impression that my experience is pretty typical.for the industry, i.e. heavy work load, tough deadlines and moderate pay.

MsSindy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2014, 01:30:57 PM »

Absolutely agree with this.  I have had pretty much the same role (project manager) for a number of years and the level of job satisfaction fluctuates with whoever my Manager is.  Last year I was literally getting sick at my stomach at the thought of working another day with this particular woman.  This year, I have the trifecta of 3 awesome bosses!  The work is still the work - I have meetings, make sure people do things when they're suppose to, create status reports, etc.  It's not exciting, but certainly bearable.....and the pay is excellent.  It's absolutely the people you work with that make/break the job.

Helvegen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2014, 01:37:29 PM »
I like my job. It is very low stress, my manager is great, I don't have people over my shoulder all the time. The benefits are wonderful and I'm taking full advantage because I know from terrible experience how bad most places really are in that department.

Most other things I am interested in doing require extensive and expensive retraining/education and still don't make bank, so I just have to be happy with what I have.

I've never been really all that career driven. I work to live, not live to work. 

Johnez

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2014, 01:52:02 PM »
Love my job. It's physical, fast paced, never boring. I've lost 25 pounds in the 3.5 months I've been there. Everyone works hard, there is very little BS to deal with-we really are a team. The pay is nothing to sneeze at either, finally making some coin. Bennies all around, a first for me. Company is great, treats employees like assets and very safety oriented. I'm a warehouse picker at a big beverage company, best job I've ever had.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 01:53:41 PM by Johnez »

Annamal

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2014, 01:57:21 PM »
I really loved my job, relatively stable workforce, a clear sense of purpose and the idea that I was contributing helpfully (or at least very definitely not hurting anyone).

Right now that is changing though.

I am beginning to  think that someone should write a book on the efficiency of having more in the way of employees than you need on paper because to me it seems like if you restructure down to the point of not having any kind of redundancy, not only do you lose exactly the employees that you most want to keep but you also render your organisation very very fragile and prone to continually operating in crisis mode.

Duchess of Stratosphear

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2014, 01:59:30 PM »

This is very true. If I had a better manager, I would be much more content with my job, although I'd still have issues with it (it's not what I really should be doing, but I'm not sure what I really should be doing, so I'll stick with this for now). I am definitely counting down the years to when I don't have to do this anymore.

Sorry, I guess you asked to hear from people who LIKE their jobs....

Emilyngh

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2014, 02:02:44 PM »
I am eager to hear from people who like their jobs. I am pretty stressed a work. I have about 15 years  till FI at the rate I am going. I feel like I should be considering a job/ career change for the last leg of my journey to FI. However, I have lost faith in the "do what you love, and the money will follow" theory. Please, if you like your job or are even somewhat satisfied, let me know what you do for a living.

Thanks!

I am a college prof (tenure track) at a small school.   My particular job requires a PhD, is very competitive to get even beyond that, and doesn't pay wonderfully.   But, if one can get such work and is Mustachian enough to make the pay workable in a lower COL area, it's the very best in terms of flexibility, autonomy, ability to do interesting and fulfilling work, work-life balance, IME.    Absolutely love it.

CabinetGuy

• Stubble
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2014, 02:06:42 PM »
Self employed cabinet maker/high end residential cabinet installer.  Been in the business for 15 years, self employed for 4 years (or is it 5?)

Love it.  Never the same day, new clients, new locations in town.  I work alone for the most part, and pretty autonomous. And decent pay to boot. 

As far a FI...got a late start, so I will be doing this for a while, at least as long as my body holds up.

Jon

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2014, 02:19:08 PM »

People repeat this a lot and I absolutely disagree with it as a blanket rule. People in my field tend to move around every two to five years, give or take, in order to take on new challenges and  further their careers. If they're very happy with their company, they may move internally instead of externally. Sometimes it's just time to move on, because the job isn't fulfilling anymore.

Really good managers find a way to keep their people by letting them change their job without leaving, but that requires a lot of resources and ability to accomplish internally.

Public Hermit

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2014, 02:56:55 PM »
I tolerate my job.

My side job is soul crushing. I hate it. I am trying to work on finding another side job doing something I actually enjoy.

TheDude

• Bristles
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2014, 04:06:54 PM »
I dont hate my job but I dont love it either. Its more the time commitment than anything else. I'm hopefully starting a new on soon I am looking forward to new challenges. The manager seemed nice but who knows. Its also a huge company so its a googd uptick in benefits and pay. That should keep me happy for what like six months? Beyond that I know I will enjoy watching our net worth go up.

StartingEarly

• Bristles
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2014, 06:33:33 PM »
I like my job but I'm not in love with it.  The people can be a bit much at times and the managers are horrible and two faced.  It's a very interesting career and I'm learning more every day.  I think by the time I'm 10 years in though I'll be majorly burned out and looking for an exit soon.  That's why I started getting into stockpiling money.  It's made me slightly less stressed out about working in a volatile industry where I could lose my job at any time, but I'm having a hard time relaxing even with well over a year's pay put away.

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2014, 06:46:39 PM »
I do not like or dislike my job. I'm one of those people who doesn't feel "passion" for work. I'm passionate about reading, and whistling. Neither of which pay the bills. I'm in a good career for passionless people: accounting. No one ever asks me what my professional goals are. That said, I need two things to do well in a job. Respect and something to do. I currently have neither so I'm struggling. I'm hoping that the new job I am starting soon will have both.

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2014, 06:48:32 PM »

MsRichLife

• Pencil Stache
    • Living My Rich Life
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2014, 06:54:42 PM »
I love what I'm currently doing for my job, which is a masters degree by research. I feel like I'm living my FIRE life already.

Next year, I have to go back to a 'real job', so we'll see how I feel then. For me, I never really mind the work I'm doing. The things that have the potential to get me down are the people I work with, or the requirement to sit at a desk from 9-5. If I work with good people, and I can build in flexibility to my schedule then I'm usually happy.

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2014, 06:57:02 PM »
I really loved my job, relatively stable workforce, a clear sense of purpose and the idea that I was contributing helpfully (or at least very definitely not hurting anyone).

Right now that is changing though.

I am beginning to  think that someone should write a book on the efficiency of having more in the way of employees than you need on paper because to me it seems like if you restructure down to the point of not having any kind of redundancy, not only do you lose exactly the employees that you most want to keep but you also render your organisation very very fragile and prone to continually operating in crisis mode.

This--or at least 98% of this.

Dr. Doom

• Bristles
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2014, 07:10:02 PM »
>>However, I have lost faith in the "do what you love, and the money will follow" theory.

I lost faith in that platitude a long time ago, too.  Internally I've revised it to read: "Do what you love for too many hours a week for the profit of someone else and you'll inevitably come to hate it."

I am completely OK with what I do most of the time (software/IT).  On days when I'm able to push away politics and I don't have many meetings, it can even be fun for short bursts.

But short bursts are the key.  I went from the private sector to academia in order to chop my hours and get decent work-life balance.  This has had a big impact on my day-to-day levels of satisfaction.  (I'm capped at 35/wk now which is so terrific it's hard to describe... prior to that I'd been conditioned myself to 55+ hour weeks which included off-hours/on-call/weekend project work). 

Yes, I took a pay cut in order to make this move.  But that's OK.  The life improvement is worth it.  If you are 100% miserable at all times, I don't recommend you tough it out for 15 years -- that's way too long to wait for relief.   You deserve to have a life worth living while you're working.  Start looking.  There's wide variation of employers and cultures, even within the same industry.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 07:43:57 PM by Dr. Doom »

expatartist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2014, 07:12:13 PM »
Here is an article about how "do what you love" is folly:
http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/technology/2014/01/do_what_you_love_love_what_you_do_an_omnipresent_mantra_that_s_bad_for_work.html

"Doing what you love", if you love the kind of things which many other people do, skews supply and demand, so these fields are A) low-paying and B) extremely competitive. To succeed requires an immense amount of work, sacrifice, and most importantly, networking.

After over a decade of the above, I have stumbled on an independent position in a creative field which suits my background, personality, and skills perfectly. And my salary/benefits allow me to save the majority of my income. I feel lucky to live a lifestyle I choose in a region which is exciting - and exhausting too. This kind of job isn't for most people, and I could've gone for a higher status job/higher degrees, but I am very happy with where I've landed. After several contracts with this (or a similar org) in different cities, I plan to move on to more research-based projects once FI.

Abe

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2014, 07:24:55 PM »
I'm training to be a general surgeon, and it is great. My colleagues are for the most part very nice and interesting to talk with. The patients are also mostly nice and appreciative. There's enough routine that it isn't always stressful, but enough variety that things don't get dull with time. There is a shortage of general surgeons and physician assistants, consider the latter if considering a career switch (the former requires a minimum of 9 years training).

Emilyngh

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2014, 10:09:47 PM »
Here is an article about how "do what you love" is folly:
http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/technology/2014/01/do_what_you_love_love_what_you_do_an_omnipresent_mantra_that_s_bad_for_work.html

I think that this article raises some very good points.   I do think that one of the important ones is that just b/c you are lucky enough to love your work, doesn't mean that you don't deserve to be adequately compensated for it.   This issue comes up often where I work.   I have a 9 month contract and as such, only work during the other 3 months if paid to (eg., through a grant).   I've gotten the impression that others where I work would not admit such publicly, b/c if you love your work, you'd do it for free.   Yeah, no.   

I do think that the views on MMM are generally supportive of recognizing the limits of one's love of their job, in that there is encouragement to retire once one reaches FI, even if one loves her work.  I often read on here things along the lines of "I love my job, but don't want to commit to anything for 40+ hrs a week."

I totally agree with the article, though, that it is an extremely privileged position to have the option of having a job that you could love, and as such, while one can be happy if they happen to love their job, it's not something that everyone can expect to be able to do.   And we should be careful about blaming/admonishing others if they don't happen to have a job they love.

brizna

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2014, 11:31:47 PM »
Eh, it's ok. Not terrible. Not awesome.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2014, 02:05:46 AM »
Since, at present, I have to have a job, I'm very glad with the one I've got! In generally, I really like it, and am very grateful for it.

I've been at the same place for 10 years though, and it hasn't always been this way. I HATED my job, wanted to quit, considered quitting every Sunday night for a long time. What changed isn't the actual work I do (the executable work I mean, I enjoy that), but previously I had to manage people. I hated it. But with the level of responsibility and pay I had, there was no choice.

Unfortunately the company downsized, but fortunately for me, I retained my pay and position without having any direct reports. This changed my working environment completely, I just have to do the work I enjoy now, with no-one to manage. And that's why I love my job.

So I would say the actual work is important, but how you are spending the majority of your time is more important. I just didn't enjoy telling people what to do (ironic, I know, I love to boss people around on the forums), and I didn't like having to lead by example. Now I can leave early if the work is done, without worrying about 'how it looks'. Flexible hours (ie only working when there is work to be done, not playing 'who can stay the latest') and autonomy are the most important things to me.

nottoolatetostart

• Bristles
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2014, 03:39:51 AM »
It's an ok job. I love that I work from home 100% (my colleagues are scattered throughout the country), have awesome benefits, and I make 6 figures with a nice bonus. The work is fairly easy overall.

Metta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2014, 06:26:07 AM »

Thanks!

I am a college prof (tenure track) at a small school.   My particular job requires a PhD, is very competitive to get even beyond that, and doesn't pay wonderfully.   But, if one can get such work and is Mustachian enough to make the pay workable in a lower COL area, it's the very best in terms of flexibility, autonomy, ability to do interesting and fulfilling work, work-life balance, IME.    Absolutely love it.

I'm so glad you love your work! My husband is also a professor in the field he loves most and recently got tenure. Up to that point he was adamant that we must have the money to retire early, to make work optional. I interpreted this as meaning that he wanted to retire early. So we are now pretty much there financially and once the house is paid off (less than a year away) we will definitely be there. I asked him about retiring and he said that he doesn't want to and gave me the look that means "Duh! Who would want to retire from this?" So now I am wondering about this whole "need to make work optional" statement.

You are in the same position that he is, more or less. Why are you a mustachian? Do you see yourself as retiring early? Or is mustacianism about something different for academics? (It's been interesting to note how many academics there are here.)

Emilyngh

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2014, 07:59:24 AM »
I asked him about retiring and he said that he doesn't want to and gave me the look that means "Duh! Who would want to retire from this?" So now I am wondering about this whole "need to make work optional" statement.

You are in the same position that he is, more or less. Why are you a mustachian? Do you see yourself as retiring early? Or is mustacianism about something different for academics? (It's been interesting to note how many academics there are here.)

I do not know if I will retire early.   And, while I love my job (for a job), I want the freedom of knowing that I am completely free and *could* say "see ya" anytime I want.   Even with tenure, there can be background stress regarding being stuck in a job one grows to hate.   Eg., right now I can come and go as I please, what if things change and I have to be chained to my desk more?   Or what if teaching loads are increased, or my colleagues just start to drive me crazy, or if the tenure system disappears/changes, or my major is cut and I'm left teaching all courses for non-majors, or a family member gets very sick, or I just want to sit on my porch all day?

I'm in my young 30s.   A lot can happen between now and 65.   We are currently on a path to be FI in about 10 years (DH is a SAHD, so we aren't staching a ton, but this may or may not change when DD goes to school).   My best guess is that I won't retire as soon as FI hits (young 40s), but who knows.   

Also, I think that FU money changes one's outlook in a way that is priceless.   B/c getting the type of job I have is so difficult, and a job in industry, etc, sounds so very horrible to me now (which means I really, really don't want to risk losing my current job, regardless if I can live for a year or two without it), I don't really feel like we'll truly be in an "FU" state until very close to FI.

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2014, 08:29:17 AM »
Nottoolatetostart, what industry and position do you work in? I'm curious

oinkette

• Stubble
  • Well behaved women rarely make history.
« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2014, 09:28:33 AM »

I'm echoing everyone else with agreeing on this. As far as my job goes, it's great.  There are really too, too many great things about it to list, from my office with a window, to the mental stimulation, to the bad-ass super-duper scanner I get to use on a daily basis for personal use.

But the administration here sucks.

I really need to get over my resentment (less pay than my less qualified colleagues, the head honcho basically ignoring my emails) and be OK with a really great work environment.   But I find it hard.  Especially since I'm paid just enough for me not to be able to find a similar position for the same amount or more elsewhere.  The dream that keeps me going is being to one day be able to walk up to HR with my middle finger stuck straight up in the air.   And of course being able to draw, cook, and garden all day. :)

Philociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
  • Eat. Sleep. Invest. Repeat.
« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2014, 09:48:40 AM »
Currently in my first job out of school, but I have a sinking suspicion that I just don't like working in general.  I don't have enough work to fill my day but have to be here from 8-5. Flex-time is unheardof around here and the only people working abbreviated schedules are near retirement. I have a mechanical engineering degreee and every job description I see related to that degree sounds BORING. But work is close to home and pays pretty well, so I've managed to stay sane so far.

Spartana

« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2014, 10:58:46 AM »
I'm RE now but I really liked both my 2 different jobs/careers. If I didn't have to deal with the "other" issues that come with being employed I probably would have stayed with one of my jobs until they kicked me out.

historienne

• Bristles
« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2014, 11:18:13 AM »
I asked him about retiring and he said that he doesn't want to and gave me the look that means "Duh! Who would want to retire from this?" So now I am wondering about this whole "need to make work optional" statement.

I do not know if I will retire early.   And, while I love my job (for a job), I want the freedom of knowing that I am completely free and *could* say "see ya" anytime I want.   Even with tenure, there can be background stress regarding being stuck in a job one grows to hate.   Eg., right now I can come and go as I please, what if things change and I have to be chained to my desk more?   Or what if teaching loads are increased, or my colleagues just start to drive me crazy, or if the tenure system disappears/changes, or my major is cut and I'm left teaching all courses for non-majors, or a family member gets very sick, or I just want to sit on my porch all day?

I'm in my young 30s.   A lot can happen between now and 65.   We are currently on a path to be FI in about 10 years (DH is a SAHD, so we aren't staching a ton, but this may or may not change when DD goes to school).   My best guess is that I won't retire as soon as FI hits (young 40s), but who knows.   

I can speak to this too - I am a tenure-track professor at a small school as well.  I plan to work through to my 60s, but our "FI" goal is for my husband to quit his job, which he should be able to do in another few years.  I do agree that it will be very nice to have the money to quit if needed.  The tradeoff for the awesomeness of my job is the terribleness of the job market, at least in my field.  If I wanted to leave my job, I couldn't count on getting another one in my field; and if I did, we'd definitely have to move for it.  So it will be nice to have the option of quitting if things ever did become dire.

Emilyngh, I think we may end up with similar lives - my husband would LOVE to be a SAHD.  So far he is still working because he is paid ridiculously well and we are therefore able to save very rapidly, but we look forward to the day when he can stop and do the childcare and housework.  He is on the end of his paternity leave now (using up FMLA before our daughter turns one) and is having so much fun!

Emilyngh

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2014, 11:32:02 AM »

Emilyngh, I think we may end up with similar lives - my husband would LOVE to be a SAHD.  So far he is still working because he is paid ridiculously well and we are therefore able to save very rapidly, but we look forward to the day when he can stop and do the childcare and housework.  He is on the end of his paternity leave now (using up FMLA before our daughter turns one) and is having so much fun!

It has cost us a shit-ton financially (he also had a well-paying job), but 3 years in, I can say with confidence that it has been one of the very best decisions we've ever made.   Best ever.

With that said, he's currently pondering something to do part-time when DD is in school to speed up reaching FI and get him out of the house some.   I'll have tenure by then and can probably arrange to be home with her myself 2-3 days a week after school, so he could work part time and I don't think it'd negatively affect our lovely current work-life balance.    Plus, if he isn't happy doing it or begins to cut into things, he could just quit and do something else PT, or not :)

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!