Author Topic: Do you keep store credit cards to get coupons?  (Read 5451 times)

KBecks

• Handlebar Stache
Do you keep store credit cards to get coupons?
« on: February 15, 2014, 11:02:33 AM »
I have several department store credit cards.  I used to just carry one card, but then started signing up for a few to get the coupons.  This means I am often inundated with mail flyers and coupons.

I wonder if you Mustachians keep department store credit cards for savings and if you have any organizational tips. 

My store cards are Target (5% back),  Boston Store, Macy's, Kohls and Gap.  I have a Toys R Us that I will cancel.

I do not use the cards all the time, but like to have a sale coupon when I shop.

Thanks for your advice!

Tacosrocket

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Stop looking at my personal text, gosh
Re: Do you keep store credit cards to get coupons?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2014, 09:51:33 PM »
I have to tell you - I don't think it's a good idea at all. You'll go spend money on something you wouldn't have otherwise thought you needed until you could get 15% off. Why not get 100% off and not buy it?

Now let me point something else out here.. um.. KHOLS?? MACYS?? WHy are you going to those places? D: It's just a bunch of overpriced cotton!

You don't have to wear ripped jeans and stained t-shirts like MMM does. Especially if you're a young lady like me, that wouldn't be good!

Ross, Tjmaxx, and consignment stores are a frugal girls best friend!! http://www.shop-bellas.com/topics/what-is-consignment-how-does-it-work/ Also, at my Ross right now, there is a $345 dress for $60. You could buy it, enjoy it, then resell it for an easy $200 or more. (Ross also has fresh from the factory children's cloths, shoes and even toys and home goods for crazy cheap)

Cut up those department store cards asap! only use coupons for things you already buy and don't let other good deals temp you into buying things you otherwise wouldn't. So if the store cards gives you a good deal on something you already need to live, great! Otherwise, it's just another temptation on your mustache.

If you get the news paper or take the free coupon things grocery stores usually have in a basket near the entrance, they'll have tons of good deals on the things you need.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 10:13:45 PM by Tobi »

Greg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2014, 10:10:18 PM »
You don't have to wear ripped jeans and stained t-shirts like MMM does. Especially if you're a young lady like me, that wouldn't be good!

Actually on a woman it's a good look.  Totally badass.

Anyway I used to have a few hardware store cards, and they used to send out lots of coupons, but not anymore. Now it's just "sales" and seasonal push stuff.  No real coupons or deals.  It's like they got wise to our shenanigans.

chucklesmcgee

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2014, 10:18:45 PM »
The Target card was/is great at 5% back.

Generally though I haven't found store cards to be worth it. The benefits are often pretty minimal and just encourage you to spend more.

Tacosrocket

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Stop looking at my personal text, gosh
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2014, 10:19:40 PM »

Actually on a woman it's a good look.  Totally badass.

Oh I would agree :D (as long as they don't look butch or like a hobo or something Lol). But it can get depressing looking one way all the time, and resale potential for a fashionista is incredible!

~It is slightly off topic, so we'll continue that discussion elsewhere if you want =P

Anyway, I'll bet there are a lot of coupon websites that are useful. We should hunt them down and post them on here.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 05:15:49 AM by Tobi »

imustachemystash

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2014, 10:33:59 PM »
I used to keep them when I graduated from college and needed a professional wardrobe and home furnishings, but I find myself not shopping as much anymore so I don't think they are worth the hassle. I also disliked getting all the junk mail!

KBecks

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2014, 06:00:46 AM »
Thanks so much for the replies.   The cards are all zero balance, and the typical coupon is like  20% off any item and good for a couple months.  Sometimes these are good when you can take a clearance or sale item and get another 20% off.    Kohls routinely sends out mystery coupons that are 10%, 20% or 30% off.   

It is like a game.  I prefer not to shop, yes.  We all have mostly enough clothes.  (Right now I think the oldest has 1 pair of PJs that fit, it would be better to have 2 or 3, and the middle son could use another pair of shoes, but I think I can get him to wear ones we have at home already.)  I have 3 boys and they are at the ages where stuff in the resale shop is not easy to come by and the stuff at the resale shops is cheap looking, unattractive or close to worn out.  They also wear slim pants but I am learning where to find less expensive things that fit.  Kohl's store brand is good for this,  Lands End is very expensive, and Gap sometimes has good sales on slims. 

I don't like the deluge of mail flyers.  I find myself with all this paper and then a ton of coupons that I put in my purse and most don't get used.  But the game is that you have to have  a store credit account to get the coupon.  Sometimes a cashier will give you a coupon, sometimes, if you get a nice cashier.

Right now we need very little and probably won't until my oldest grows into the next size up. 

I do get some groceries at Target and sometimes they are the lowest price.

I like TJMaxx and those types of stores, but I don't go shopping for myself that much.  They do have good prices.

I know that the less I go shopping the better off we are! 

Fireman

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2014, 06:27:47 AM »
I'm reading this thread and realize that it's been a while since I went shopping.  I have a Target card, a Lowe's card, and a Best Buy card. 

Target is good for the 5% off and if you get prescription medicine a lot (I don't), you get an extra 5% off (total 10%) for a day.
Lowe's also offers 5% off at the register and they often have 0% financing.
Best Buy offers increased rewards points (that you end up spending back at Best Buy) or 0% financing. 

I don't buy a lot at Lowe's (renting) or Best Buy (don't need anything) but if I do, I like the option of using their money.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2014, 06:49:01 AM »
The Kohl's card isn't too bad if you only use it when they send a 30% off coupon and do the Kohl's Cash thing on top ($10 voucher for each $50 spent) and then only use it to buy stuff you actually need, and already on sale/clearance.  If the coupon is for less than 30% it goes straight into the fire. 

pipercat

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2014, 07:27:11 AM »
I have the Target debit card, which I use for the 5% discount.  I also keep the Kohl's card, but it is mostly used for the coupons during the holidays.  The rest of the year, I only use it if I need something, which is rare.  I used to make a point of always using my 30%, even if I only bought K cups, but I've stopped doing that.  If I don't need to buy something, I just toss the coupon.

I have a 30% off right now, but my sister's birthday is coming, so it will be used for that.

I also think it's silly to ever shop at Kohl's without a coupon.

KBecks

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2014, 05:34:58 AM »
Thanks Fireman for noting about prescription medications at Target.  In the past our family has needed very little medication, but my oldest was diagnosed with ADHD and we will likely do a trial of meds to see if it helps him.   I am sure the trick to filling prescriptions at Target is only coming out of the store with what you need and not a lot of "extras".  Since the meds will be a monthly fill,  if they work well, I should price check between Target and Walgreens to see if they are the same. 

I think I can shift to waiting until I need something and then waiting for a coupon to arrive in the mail.  If I don't need anything I should be able to chuck all the coupons.

Mortgage Free Mike

• Stubble
    • Save on Almost Everything
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2014, 07:19:42 AM »
If you are not tempted to spend more than you normally would because of the cards/coupons, I see no problem with it. I have one for Bloomingdale's but I rarely use it. Try logging into your account and adjusting your promotional email settings or call the 800 number on the back of the card.  Maybe they can ease up on the ads.