Author Topic: Do you have an Amazon.com side gig?  (Read 4336 times)

MustacheCowboy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Do you have an Amazon.com side gig?
« on: October 08, 2014, 07:14:04 PM »
I'm thinking about starting a side gig reselling products on Amazon. A friend of mine has had a lot of success reselling toys and games. Other than toys and books does anyone have any advice on types of products or other experiences to share?

lysistrata

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Do you have an Amazon.com side gig?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2014, 07:39:46 PM »
Hah, OK, this thread wasn't about what I thought it was going to be about. I do have a side gig on Amazon but it's as an author. I write and sell novels and non-fiction books under a couple of different pennames.

My husband buys really expensive old books about trains from resellers on Amazon. If you have a niche like that people are interested in, they will often fork over 100s for a used book.

Interested to see what other answers you get!

InsourceEverything

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Insource Everything
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2014, 08:34:21 PM »
Hah, OK, this thread wasn't about what I thought it was going to be about. I do have a side gig on Amazon but it's as an author. I write and sell novels and non-fiction books under a couple of different pennames.

My husband buys really expensive old books about trains from resellers on Amazon. If you have a niche like that people are interested in, they will often fork over 100s for a used book.

Interested to see what other answers you get!

Lysistra,   I am trying to get kicked off writing/selling non-fiction books on Amazon.   I haven't had much trouble with the writing, but not luck at all with the selling.

Any tips on how you got off the ground?

InsourceEverything

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Insource Everything
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2014, 06:39:35 AM »
Thanks, I have not read it.

I will give it a read

VirginiaBob

• Bristles
    • LRJ Discounters
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2014, 06:46:31 AM »
My wife sells stuff that she finds on clearance (80-99% off) for profit on both Amazon and ebay.  Nothing huge and not something she spends a lot of time on, but when she sees something really cheap, she'll clear out the shelf at the store (or stock online) and list it for sale.  About $3,000-$5,000 a year profit which she uses to buy more stuff to sell - anything extra, we use as our vacation/fun fund.  If you choose to do this, set it up officially with a business license, sales tax certificate, etc.