Author Topic: Do you have a favorite retirement calculator?  (Read 3345 times)

mustachianteacher

• Stubble
Do you have a favorite retirement calculator?
« on: December 26, 2015, 04:35:11 PM »
I'm familiar with MMM's shockingly simple math behind achieving FI, but I still like playing around with online calculators that try to address all the variables. Thus far, I have used FireCalc several times and really liked it. I've tried I-ORP a couple of times, but I have to confess that I just don't understand its output very well, so I haven't returned to that one in a while. (Yes,  I read all the definitions. I'm still confused.)

Anyone else have any favorites? Suggestions?
« Last Edit: December 26, 2015, 04:46:46 PM by msjd123 »

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
    • Photography by Rich Davis

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
Re: Do you have a favorite retirement calculator?
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2015, 07:39:07 PM »
I've tried I-ORP a couple of times, but I have to confess that I just don't understand its output very well....
It does hit you with a lot of output, that's true, and is more complex than most.  Whether that is good or bad might depend on which saying one believes applicable:
1) William of Occam: Among competing hypotheses, the one with the fewest assumptions should be selected.
2) H.L. Mencken: There is always an easy solution to every human problem—neat, plausible, and wrong.

If you have some specific questions about the i-orp output it might be worthwhile posting here to see if the community can provide a helpful perspective.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2015, 08:17:46 PM »
I prefer Networthify for a quick simple estimate, and cFIREsim for more in-depth calculations.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

mustachianteacher

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2015, 06:44:38 PM »
These are great, thanks! I'll definitely have a closer look at them when I have a good long stretch of time.

MDM, I got the big picture from I-Orp, and the big picture was sufficient, but that's what prompted me to ask for other calculators. Can't hurt to plug my numbers into more than one.

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2015, 06:57:04 PM »
Can't hurt to plug my numbers into more than one.

Very true - we've done exactly that.