Author Topic: Do you have a collection?  (Read 16776 times)

tylerk

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Do you have a collection?
« on: June 18, 2014, 04:43:28 PM »
"Collections" are, generally speaking, an anti-mustachian concept. That said, do you have any? I have a fairly small collection of signed books, and probably a larger than reasonable collection of board games. I'm pretty attached to the former, and I can see growing it rather than shrinking it. The latter is probably easily shrinkable with only a little effort.

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Do you have a collection?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2014, 05:31:14 PM »
Yes, but of things I use.

- Camera stuff. Bodies, lenses, etc. Anything I don't use either gets sold or given away.
- Electronics components. Everything will hopefully get used at one point or another. Nothing really to sell - nobody buys a bag of resistors from some random guy. Having more electronics components means I can build more whenever I want, without waiting for things to ship; it also means I have spares of commonly used components at all times. (Reels of standard resistors, that sort of thing.)
- Development boards, programmers, etc. Ok, I'm guilty on this one. I have dev boards I got for free years ago and never opened. I have dev boards I actually use. Some are incredibly cheap considering time saved ($2.50 for an arduino nano knockoff - can prototype something in 3 seconds). Some are used all the time (programmers, certain boards) for hobby stuff that hopefully will bring in money, but if not who cares. Some are just there because I never got rid of them.
- Liquor. Guilty. My one expense that serves no purpose other than to make me happy. I have a lot of tequila, bourbon, scotch, rye... maybe some rum, gin, whatever. I went through a buying phase when I turned 21; now I buy a lot less but I still buy more than I drink, so I end up with a collection.

Oscar_C

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2014, 05:35:49 PM »
Children's Trading Cards. While I almost never purchase them, I do spend inordinate amounts of time playing and trading.

): I'VE WASTED MY LIFE! :(

But in all seriousness, yeah mostly card games. Not a collectibles but as an unproductive hobby.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2014, 05:41:46 PM »
I keep whatever foreign currency coins I have at the end of a trip. It's generally very little - I exchange any bills back into Canadian dollars, so generally less than a dollar's worth of any one currency. I have british pounds, euros, Mexican pesos, Guatemalan quetzales, Belize dollars, and Cayman Island dollars right now, though the pounds and euros will probably get spent when I'm in Europe next week.

apfroggy0408

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2014, 05:43:03 PM »
guns hehe

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2014, 05:47:52 PM »
I have a nice little collection of vinyl records.  The benefit being that they're only a few bucks each, give or take.  Although I bought most of them in my pre-mustachian years where I used to think saving 15% was good.  I don't add very often any more, but that's partly because I still have 200 or so (down from 600) which is more than I can regularly listen to.

twbird18

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2014, 08:00:29 PM »
Board games and magic the gathering - large collections, but we play a lot of games. They aren't sitting around collecting dust. We are currently selling most of the MTG Cards, just don't need the amount we have as we aren't as active in the competitive scene anymore.

Care Bears - smaller collection, mainly gifts from my parents picked up from thrifts stores. I have around 25 now

Legos - I build maybe 1 model every other year. I would build more if I had more time and space.

DH - has an extensive video game collection that he will not part with, but is generally purchased used at low prices except for the occasional collectors edition....DH would keep everything he ever had if that was an option lol and so he has a fair collection of posters, figures and  misc items from movies, plays, anime and video games he has purchased or attended

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

socaso

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2014, 08:04:21 PM »
I have a ton of craft stuff. And I've actually given away or donated a lot but some stuff I just can't part with.

brewer12345

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2014, 09:36:25 PM »
guns hehe

Meh.  I have a friend who has an impressive enough collection that he feels the need to insure it.  He has a lot of very pretty stuff that is fun to hold.  However, for the tens of thousands of dollars he has in this collection, most of it is in the form of safe queens.  What the hell is the point?  I have more than a handful myself, but no safe queens.  If I don't use what I have on a regular basis, it will be sold.

BTW, my buddy is still a wage slave while I have escaped the cube.

NV Teacher

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2014, 10:11:16 PM »
Old jars, mostly blue canning jars.  I use them to store buttons, ribbons, and other crafting bits and pieces.

payitoff

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2014, 10:13:14 PM »
Magnets from the places i've been to, planning to fill up the whole fridge and some :)

mrcheese

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2014, 10:27:18 PM »
I have a 3/4 complete collection of coins. The aim is 1 coin of each denomination for each year of Australian decimal currency (1966 onwards) and they must come to me via ordinary usage of cash. Worth no more than the face value, but its a harmless hobby and I guess it could be used as an emergency stash :) albeit heavy to lug around.

chucklesmcgee

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2014, 12:28:41 AM »
Agree that collections are generally antimustachian. They take up lots of space, usually require maintenance (both time and money) and generally aren't worth much more than you paid for them. Doesn't make you a better person for the spending and usually doesn't generate much enjoyment outside of showing them to other people who usually don't appreciate you have X or Y.

That said I have a "collection" of various rewards credit cards which generates a few thousand dollars in returns a year.

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2014, 02:02:53 AM »
Comics, speakers, bikes.

Polaria

• Stubble
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2014, 02:52:26 AM »
I used to have an extensive collection of astronomy books.
When I left Belgium to live in the UK, I donated about 90% of the books to a local astronomy club. I kept about 40 books, the ones dealing with astronomy history and mathematical astronomy/astrophysics.

I did not get rid of my CD collection though.

Oh and we also have a magnet collection like 2wakefulFlea! Unfortunately the fridge is fully integrated in our kitchen so we can't display them on the door.

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2014, 04:16:36 AM »
I have a collection of beautifully designed journals which I use for one of my major hobbies - writing and sketching. I'm really into Paper Blanks, Daycraft and Peter Pauper products right now.

I used to have a substantial personal library, but I donated or sold about 95% of it when I moved homes.

I treasure all my journals, though, and I can't let them go. Fortunately, I don't collect anything else.

nikki

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2014, 04:50:20 AM »
I had a large collection of cute Japanese stickers, papers, lettersets, etc. I simply stopped acquiring a few years ago and have been using them. I still have some in storage in Texas that I'll pull out whenever I visit family in 2-3 years! So I guess it's not really a collection in the sense that most people treat it because I fully intend to "consume" it.

cakie

• Stubble
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2014, 05:00:48 AM »
I have a 3/4 complete collection of coins. The aim is 1 coin of each denomination for each year of Australian decimal currency (1966 onwards) and they must come to me via ordinary usage of cash.

My partner is doing this too. He's been a collector (coins, cards) since he was little, and this is his way of collecting without spending lots of money. (Though he still collects lots of other stuff too tbh...) It's actually pretty fun getting out the spare change and crossing off different years on his list :)

Kaminoge

• Bristles
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2014, 05:06:44 AM »
Agree that collections are generally antimustachian.

I disagree. If they're giving the person who owns them pleasure and perhaps social interaction with others who have the same passion then there's nothing wrong with them at all. Of course if you see them as an investment there's a chance you have a problem.

I don't collect anything, I don't think I have a collector gene.

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2014, 05:26:13 AM »
Throughout my life I have collected various random things, none of which lasted for too long. 

A an adult I built up a serious collection of sewing supplies, that I was using, but not as fast as new things came in.  When we moved, I got rid of 95% of it! and am still actually using the remaining 5%.  So I would say it is no longer a collection. 

H has CD's he never listens too.  Ugh, he will never part with them.  Makes me crazy.  They fill only one box now, though, so I try not to complain to him.

Brian Fellows

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2014, 07:00:30 AM »
I have approximately a billion DVDs and Blu Rays.  I don't intend to stop any time soon, either.  Space is definitely an issue - I did the math on graph paper and with the books and video games I have (those collections pale in comparison to the DVDs), I COULD fit in a smaller apartment, but it'd be tight.  So the cost of my collection is a measurable monthly number: Cost of new DVDs + Rent difference between smaller apartment ($100).  Ouch, but hey, I watch them a ton and it's waaay cheaper than going to the movies.

Nowadays, since I have so many, I'll only buy anything if they're incredibly cheap.  So between sales and Netflix + Hulu I save a lot more money on DVDs than when I was a poor college student. And I'm definitely not a poor college student anymore.

apfroggy0408

• Stubble
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2014, 07:04:33 AM »
guns hehe

Meh.  I have a friend who has an impressive enough collection that he feels the need to insure it.  He has a lot of very pretty stuff that is fun to hold.  However, for the tens of thousands of dollars he has in this collection, most of it is in the form of safe queens.  What the hell is the point?  I have more than a handful myself, but no safe queens.  If I don't use what I have on a regular basis, it will be sold.

Yes my collection is quite small compared to others'. Just what I deem as "essential".

shotgunwilly

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2014, 07:08:02 AM »
Fishing equipment.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2014, 07:10:20 AM »
I have a large music stuff collection . . . four electric guitars, two acoustic guitar, a tenor guitar, a mandolin, a violin, a bass guitar, a piano, a harmonica, three tube amps, some drums, a couple mics, two preamps, about a dozen effects pedals.  I've slowly collected most of this stuff cheaply over a long period of time, but there's certainly too much at the moment.  I like to fix up old stuff and sell it.

The violin, a couple of the electric guitars, an acoustic guitar, many effects pedals, and at least one amp will have to go this year.  My music room is getting too crowded.

Timmmy

• Bristles
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2014, 07:20:11 AM »
guns hehe

I never understood the safe queens.  I know a guy who has an extensive collection and I'm always asking him to come shoot with me and he never wants to actually shoot any of them. 

I also don't understand the garage queens of the car world.  Sweet cars that only come out 2x a year to wash them in the driveway and then promptly stick them back in the garage. 

What's the point of owning awesome stuff if you never use it? 

sleepyguy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2014, 07:40:50 AM »
I got some bad habbit's but that's ok... nothing that is going to sacrifice my FIRE

1. Blu-Rays... I haven't bough one in 2.5yrs but my collection is pretty big.  No point in selling that as they get nothing in the market.  I've rewatched a few but with Netflix so mainstream the generally sit on the shelf 99% of the time.

2. Video games... specifically PS3 and Xbox360 games.  Generally pick them up when they are less then $10 so it isn't so bad.  I hardly play nowadays though, maybe 1-2hrs per week max.  Of course I also own tons of systems/controllers/accessories etc.  I think i got quite a few bins stored somewhere.

3. Gadgets... just too many, tablets, laptops, pcs, monitors, mice, keyboards... you name I probably have multiples of each.  Already looking to buy a Quad LCD stand next, lol.

4. Tennis equipment... what guy needs 16 racquets... apparently I do, lol.  Along with a personal stringing machine, accessories, etc... quite expensive.

Well that's about it... I've cut back ALOT the past 3 yrs and still selling/donating gear all the time.  Who knows, once I'm FIRE I may purge EVERYTHING... single phone, single laptop/tablet... maybe :)

Jamesqf

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2014, 04:01:40 PM »
Do gardens count?  I have maybe 50 varieties of old roses (the really fragrant ones), fairly uncommon species lilies (ever smelled L. parryi?  Heaven!), a bunch of uncommon fruits (like quince, elderberry, mulberry...), drought-tolerant plants...

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2014, 04:09:22 PM »
James' collection of plants is my favorite on this list, with the blue jar collection as a second runner up.

I collect index funds and memories of time with my children. 

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2014, 04:12:09 PM »
Ebooks. At one or two megabyte a pop, I don't expect running out of space anytime soon.

daveydinner

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2014, 04:12:52 PM »
About $8k worth of guitar and other music equipment. All purchased used so I could probably get what I paid, some of the older vintage guitars and amps have appreciated. I stopped spending on music though when I hit a certain threshold that covered all the sonic bases and venue needs.

Also fine touring bicycles. Guilty.

darkadams00

• Bristles
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2014, 06:35:10 PM »
Books and books and books, but more for reading rather than collecting. I do have a handful of 19th century first editions and a couple from the early 1900's. Along a short patch about 20 years ago, I picked up all of the books Zane Gray published in three or four cheap sales (mostly thin Westerns). This was during a time when I was contemplating an extremely rural lifestyle outside of a town of 600 in another state. In retrospect, I don't even recognize me sometimes.

LostInTheWoods

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Which Way is North?
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2014, 11:56:00 AM »
ART, Good art.  Target older artist at the end of their career, after their death you can see 500% increase in value.

Or touch base with local estate lawyers. In my local small towns I have two that call me first when a deceased client has passed away as there is no local market for high end art and collections are too small for the dealers.

LibrarIan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2014, 12:09:15 PM »
I have a small collection of retro video games, though I do not actively pursue more games. I have a NES, Atari 2600, Sega Genesis and a Dreamcast. I have been considering letting some of these go, but my friends and I enjoy them.

I also have a small CD collection (maybe 60-70 discs). 20 percent of these are from one artist though.

I do collect things related to the show Twin Peaks. Books, the upcoming Blu Ray compilation, soundtracks, etc.

I don't think collecting is necessarily anti-mustachian. I think it really depends on a few factors that you may find acceptable, like how much joy it brings, if you use the items, if they're accumulating value, etc. Obviously there is a point of having and spending too much, but I would imagine most people here are very selective.

KeroKat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2014, 12:19:26 PM »
One of my favorite hobbies is genealogy.  I often joke that I collect dead people.

DeepEllumStache

• Magnum Stache
  • I came, I saw, I made it awkward
« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2014, 01:10:00 PM »
Sigh... guilty.  My collections are -

• Pictures of sunrises/sunsets of places I've traveled around the world.  Recently moved but I'll be hanging this collection up again in a semi-geographically correct layout.
  • Ebooks... I even use the library too but I just love owning certain authors.

ivyhedge

• Bristles
« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2014, 01:10:47 PM »
- ebooks
- bourbons & peaty single malts
- gracefully aging electronics
- a/v media
- investments (my fave)

mrcheese

• Stubble
« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2014, 07:23:24 PM »
"It's actually pretty fun getting out the spare change and crossing off different years on his list :)"
Yep, it's nice to know I'm not the only one!

jjquantz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2014, 07:58:09 PM »
Musical Instruments here.  Harpsichord, clavichord, fortepiano, upright piano, reed organ, 3 baroque flutes, 3 alto recorders, bass recorder and miscellaneous other inexpensive things.

However, as a few have mentioned, these are items that are used regularly and give me immense pleasure.  The harpsichord and fortepiano are played every morning before I go to work.  The other keyboards are used less regularly, but are essential (to me) to playing specific genres of music. In the past I  have performed on the flutes and recorders well enough to earn a few dollars of spending money by performing and giving lessons.  No way have I recouped the cost, but there is no way that these instruments are leaving my possession.

imustachemystash

• Bristles
« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2014, 08:17:19 PM »
I collected the "states" quarters and put them in a big map.  Otherwise no because  I hate clutter.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2014, 08:19:36 PM »
I would like to collect artwork but have limited space and not going to spend a ton, right now I own 3 paintings. For me it is more fun to look.

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2014, 09:22:30 PM »
I have Toby jugs. My grandmother was English, and she collected them. I always liked hers when I was a child--I have some of hers now (Winston Churchill is my favorite), and have purchased some more over the years. Mine are all made in England, but are not particularly expensive. I probably should have sent them to the auction when we moved from NY to the Heartland, but I forgot, and they were packed and came down in the moving van with everything else. I am majorly anti-clutter and anti-"stuff". I display three of the Tobys at a time--sort of a rotating collection. I used to display all of them all of the time on the mantel in NY, but I'm such a minimalist now that I couldn't stand that anymore.

expatartist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2014, 10:12:48 PM »
ART, Good art.  Target older artist at the end of their career, after their death you can see 500% increase in value.

Or touch base with local estate lawyers. In my local small towns I have two that call me first when a deceased client has passed away as there is no local market for high end art and collections are too small for the dealers.

^^Excellent advice on the art front.

My collecting habits are:
* Cheap Chinese repro furniture, bought from the Beijing equivalent of Craigslist. Eventually we'll ship them over to our holiday rentals in Sicily -- non-Ikea furniture on the island is insanely expensive.
* Blue-and-white (esp. indigo batik) fabrics, mostly from Asia so far. Hope to expand to Africa someday.

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #42 on: June 21, 2014, 05:54:48 AM »
Tools.. Lots and lots of tool..:)

Frank

pachnik

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #43 on: June 21, 2014, 07:20:03 AM »
I was never really a collector but I do have 3 fancy tea cups - the kind that are made in England and have a saucer.  I never use them since I prefer to drink from mugs.  But 2 of them are from my grandma and one is from my best friend.  Both of these people passed away years ago.  The sentimental value is very high. 

No collections - I don't like clutter and I have lived in a small space for a long time - so no room either really. 

rusty

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • My Medigap Consultant
« Reply #44 on: June 21, 2014, 07:32:16 AM »
stocks, bonds, rentals, etc.. LOL

Dr. Doom

• Bristles
« Reply #45 on: June 21, 2014, 07:43:16 AM »
Video games are my weak spot.  I don't actively collect but when I buy a cheap game for a console, I tend to hold on to it, so I've ended up with probably 300 or so cartridges and discs over the past 20 years. 

That's really only 15 games a year or so when distributed over time, a bit over one a month, and I still play lots of them.  I give myself a pass on this behavior, it's not like I'm collecting for the sake of collecting.  Plus I wouldn't make any serious money selling them anyway.

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
    • Photography by Rich Davis
« Reply #46 on: June 22, 2014, 04:15:01 AM »
I have a few collections

2 boxes of comic books I used to collect.  They are worth more to me than they are worth to anyone else.

Paperbacks - lots of books that are out of print, Sci-Fi/Fantasy

Vintage Double Edge Razors - maybe a dozen

Rumidor Humidors, I have about a half dozen

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #47 on: June 22, 2014, 04:44:32 AM »
A couple hundred comic books. Some are old and look like hell, while others are in great condition.  I haven't added to the collection since probably 1995.  They just sit in a couple boxes in the top of my closet.  DW has a spoon collection from the places she and her family have traveled to.  She hasn't added to it since we got married.  I have a library of a couple hundred books.  Some are fiction I read in high school, but most are academic and professional reading that are still relevant and/or difficult to find.  A lot of the stuff I want and/or need to read cannot be found in e-book form.  The only time I have a problem with the book collection is every 2-3 years when we have to move.

Lutra

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Otterly frugal.
    • Classic Ranger Rick
« Reply #48 on: June 22, 2014, 07:50:26 AM »
I have old magazines from my youth, lots of CDs, novels, fantasy books, Disney items.  The inner pack rat lives within me.  The collections are kept at bay in boxes, binders, or otherwise displayed on the entertainment center.  When I run out of room in my small apartment, then I know I have a problem.

rusty

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • My Medigap Consultant
« Reply #49 on: June 22, 2014, 09:30:08 AM »
I do have some old baseball cards (late 1980's), but they are from the time after many companies started to enter the market.  Not worth much now, but I need to sell some of the few valuable ones now.  Thinking of that now, it was my first exposure to a bubble market.  Demand was there and supply was starting to outpace demand.