Author Topic: Do you get points if you return something on a rewards card? (+best UK card?)  (Read 2458 times)

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
I'm going to be spending a couple of thousand in the next few months for work, but it's stuff that I'll have to buy options for and return the ones that aren't right. It'll work out at £1000 total spend. However, if I buy something and return it, do I still get the points from the original purchase?

Also, I'm struggling to find the card that looks right for me. I'm not interested (at the moment) in cards with a minimum spend for bonus points - just something that will offer reasonable cashback/rewards points. We are not planning to travel in the next few years, so airline points that expire are no good to me. However, I am not sure what a reasonable rate of return is - I am finding about 1% to be the best and am considering this card: http://www.mbna.co.uk/credit-cards/mbna-more-rewards Thoughts?

NewbieFrugalUK

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
I have no idea about whether you still get points if the goods are returned,  but IMO the Santander 123 credit card is pretty good, if your spending is mainly petrol and groceries :)

mrigney

• Stubble
    • Running of the Fools
You won't get points for things you return. I take that back...you will get the points when you buy the item, but you'll lose the points when you return it. E.g. I buy $1,000 worth of goods in month 1. I receive 1,000 points. Month 2, I buy $1,000 of goods and return $500 of goods from the first month's purchases. Net spending for month 2 = $500. I receive 500 points. Total points after the two months would be 1,500, not 2,000.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
Ah, I see. Not that I was intending to, but I was wondering why people didn't use it for manufactured spending if you could return things and still get points.

We don't have a car, so don't buy petrol, and I've also been looking at getting one without an annual fee, even if the cashback is lower, because I'm just not sure at the moment how much spending we would normally put through the card. When I go over the results in a year's time I might change my mind, but I'd like to start cautiously.

mveill1

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
One Amex cashback, and the tesco clubcard would be my suggestion. No annual fees, and tesco run good promotions, and have voucher booster deals that sometime cover things you may actually need.

Overall we don't have a great range of choices.

Why not go stoozing for a while? There are plenty of 0% purchase cards.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!