Author Topic: Do you find yourself enjoying your job more knowing you don't need it?  (Read 2871 times)

ender

• Walrus Stache
I'm not even close to FI at this point but I do have, even conservatively estimating, well over a year living expenses in cash right now.

In an engineering position with somewhat more vaguely defined responsibilities, I have found this to give me a lot of freedom to be very honest and clear about what my interests and career aspirations are and not care how that affects me from a career perspective. Interestingly, the net effect is probably positive on my career anyways because I am more likely to take risks or focus on things I view as important, both personally and professionally.

Do others find this? I see a lot of people who seem to really dislike their job and see FI as a means to quit it. I seem to be finding pursuing FI to actually significantly increase my overall enjoyment of my job.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
Re: Do you find yourself enjoying your job more knowing you don't need it?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2013, 04:20:51 PM »
Oh, definitely, and I know it has helped me in my career. I know that I'm doing them more good than they're doing me, and I act like it (nicely). The only downside is they keep trying to promote me out of where I want to be. I do enjoy it, and I have significant responsibility and autonomy, mostly because I act like I have significant responsibility and autonomy.

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2013, 05:46:20 AM »
I'm not sure if I enjoy the actual work more, but I'm more relaxed about things in general, because I don't worry about getting fired, or laid off. In fact, more than once I've said to a colleague that I wouldn't mind being made redundant, especially if there was a decent payout!

StaceStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2013, 08:01:45 AM »
My husband is working his last day at his job today (got a better job), and he said that he enjoyed the job more after he put in his 2 weeks notice, simply because he knew he didn't HAVE to be there, and didn't feel trapped there.