Author Topic: Do you do your own taxes?  (Read 19465 times)

Honest Abe

• Bristles
  • Emancipate Yourself from Mental Slavery
Do you do your own taxes?
« on: October 31, 2012, 01:24:32 PM »
I just got married so it's the first time I'd have to file taxes for two people.. It seems like tax planning might be a little more complicated now than it used to be with the whole marriage thing. In the past I've used Turbo Tax and from what I can tell it's pretty thorough.

My question: Do any of you use an accountant/tax prep service? Is it worth the money?

madage

• Bristles
Re: Do you do your own taxes?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2012, 01:48:43 PM »
I'd stick with TurboTax or one of the other software options. I use the online version of TaxAct because it's cheaper (locked-in $7.95 2013 Federal return, no state return for me). Married filing jointly isn't any more complicated as long as your wife doesn't bring any rental properties or businesses into the picture. Likewise, planning for taxes isn't that difficult, either. I use a combination of my pay stubs, the withholding calculator on www.irs.gov and a simple google spreadsheet to keep sight of my expected refund or bill and try to get as close to 0 as possible by adjusting my W4 exemptions.

When planning, it's typically advised to keep the lower-earner W4 at zero exemptions and adjust the higher earner's W4 exemptions as appropriate. I messed this up one year and had to write the IRS a $4000 check. I was lucky I paid more in taxes that year than the previous year, or I would've owed a penalty on top - I won't do that again! Also, be careful if you claim state exemptions - those are much trickier to get right, in my experience.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 01:54:44 PM by madage »

skyrefuge

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2012, 01:50:12 PM »
Here is MMM's blog post where he enumerates the multiple benefits of doing things yourself.  I might even be so impertinent as to suggest that DIY is a core Mustachian principle.

Quote from: MMM
I feel that every time you do something for yourself, even if it’s just washing your own car, you learn new things and build a more balanced personality that learns to love hard work even more. And you build diversity into your day, which allows you to work longer without realizing you are working.

With that in mind, of all things subject to the insourcing/outsourcing decision, tax-preparation would seem to be near the very top of the list of things that Mustachians should insource, simply because the very nature of Financial Independence requires an intimate knowledge and familiarity with your money anyway, and doing your own taxes can only improve that knowledge.

Sure, maybe it's a tiny bit harder to do taxes as a couple vs. a singleton, but that just sounds like an exciting opportunity to acquire more knowledge.

I've always done my own taxes (via Turbotax, and you can usually get an online discount via Vanguard), and have gone from pretty basic, to having to learn how to deal with stock options, stock purchase, and even a sole-proprietorship business.  It's never been especially difficult, and I don't think I even upgraded to Turbotax's "Business" package for the year I had business activity. Even more badass would be doing them the old-fashioned way completely for free with pen and paper.

jrhampt

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2012, 02:05:17 PM »
We used an accountant for a couple of years when we were both really busy (I had grad school and full time work, and he was working crazy hours).  I found that he really wasn't worth the extra money, and I much prefer to do them on my own.  It saves money and helps me better understand how the things I do make an impact on the mount of taxes I pay.  I do my taxes and come up with a list of recommendations for us for the upcoming year (examples: max out 401k, might as well pay off student loans since interest isn't deductible anymore, etc.).

igthebold

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2012, 02:08:57 PM »
I did up until I started my own business. Now my accountant does it, and he's found ways to save thousands on taxes (legitimately), so it's been a net win for me.

tooqk4u22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2012, 02:20:48 PM »
Yes.  Turbo tax is fine unless you have overly complicated tax issues. But if you fall into the category of have a job, some stocks/bonds/cds, maybe a rental property or so, second home,  then it will be fine.

Angelfishtitan

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2012, 02:31:10 PM »
I have done my own (and my fiancee's at the time) taxes since I graduated college and will continue now that we are married. I actually enjoy doing my taxes funnily enough.

Unless you are investing in some non-standard vehicles or have another strange situation, I would always suggest to anyone to do their taxes themselves. It's easy and helps you better understand you finances and keep deductions in mind.

zinnie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2012, 02:38:14 PM »
I always have. I prefer to know how it works, I even used pencil and paper until last year when we tried TurboTax, which I didn't like as much as just filling out the forms. There were some things that TurboTax phrased oddly that made me second-guess if I was picking the right option.

TheDude

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2012, 02:42:37 PM »
I have always done our taxes but they are pretty basic since we don't have a business or anything. I use turbo tax or tax act and would reccomend either of them. I think its important to do them so that you understand how to tax plan appropriately.

This year I have actually set up spreadsheet with all our deductions and income to help estimate our taxes so I can pay the right amount. Of course I set it up to late and we have already paid to much but at least I can stop right now.

I really think tax planning is important. How do you think Mitt only pay 14%? Proper tax planning!

Honest Abe

• Bristles
  • Emancipate Yourself from Mental Slavery
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2012, 02:47:52 PM »
This year I have actually set up spreadsheet with all our deductions and income to help estimate our taxes so I can pay the right amount.

Are such spreadsheets available online?

skyrefuge

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2012, 04:44:37 PM »
I did up until I started my own business. Now my accountant does it, and he's found ways to save thousands on taxes (legitimately), so it's been a net win for me.

How are you measuring the amount of the savings?  Did you once do your business taxes on your own (or with TurboTax's help), and then have your accountant re-do them for comparison?  I'm just curious how TurboTax compares to a live accountant; it seems like it makes all kinds of suggestions to (legitimately) reduce your taxes, but maybe there is still somehow knowledge that only accountants have that's unavailable to tax-preparation software?

TheDude

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2012, 04:53:54 PM »
I am not sure. Mine is pretty basic but it covers all of my stuff I think (or I hope). I only take the standard deduction but then have a minus 401k, IRA, 457, HSA, Pera. etc. If you want  a copy I could probably provide that but like i said its pretty basic.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2012, 06:45:23 PM »
Those of you in the "learning and hard work are good" camps should check out the useful tongue-twister Free File Fillable Forms... it's like pen and paper, but digital. You fill the forms out yourself, the actual forms, and it's free!

jawisco

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2012, 07:26:36 PM »
I think you should do your own or use Turbo Tax if your tax situation is simple.  I find taxes okay to do myself, and I do agree that you learn more about your tax situation if you do them yourself.

I agree that if you have a business or other more complicated situation, hiring a GOOD accountant is money well spent.  You will come out wayyyyy ahead, but again only if you have a good accountant who can look at your return and come up with some ideas to lower your tax burden in the future with better planning today.  Turbo tax is better than a bad one...

James

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2012, 08:22:37 PM »
I've handled pretty complex situations with Turbo Tax over the years.  Income in multiple states, filing with a business, lots of unique deductions from different situations, etc.  Never had a problem, and it's great having it pull all your old info from prior years as needed.

MountainFlower

• Bristles
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2012, 10:21:55 PM »
Taxactonline.com.  I've used it for about 8 years.  It's under $20 for both state and federal.  I don't know why anyone would spend $40 for turbotax.

Will

• Pencil Stache
  • What the deuce?!?!?
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2012, 12:03:26 AM »
Even paying for tax software seems wrong to me, but I can't imagine paying another person to do it.  Maybe someday when I am so wealthy and things are so complicated... meh, I'll probably still do it myself.  The software seems to be very thorough.

Angelfishtitan

• Stubble
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2012, 07:20:16 AM »
Yeah, not sure why everyone here seems to pay for turbotax. I have always used the free version for federal and never had any trouble. I have had jobs in multiple states and investment income that I still do it in the free version. For state taxes I just do them on our State Treasury website, they have a free online tax form you fill out that is really easy.

madage

• Bristles
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2012, 07:40:27 AM »
Yeah, not sure why everyone here seems to pay for turbotax. I have always used the free version for federal and never had any trouble. I have had jobs in multiple states and investment income that I still do it in the free version.

I was under the impression you couldn't itemize deductions with the free version. Perhaps I'm misinformed? Free is better than $7.95 for TaxAct.

Edit: After researching, it appears the biggest differences between the free version and the paid version are the importing of prior year's data (appreciated, but it wouldn't take long to re-enter my info) and online valuation of non-cash donations, which I don't use anyway. Are there differences I'm missing?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 07:54:40 AM by madage »

maryofdoom

• Stubble
  • Jeopardy! loser since 2010
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2012, 07:52:45 AM »
I did my own once, when I was in my last year of graduate school, but since marrying my husband, he insists that we go to his accountant. I don't mind too much, because she's really nice and she only charges us $60. It makes him feel better to have an accountant do it, and it was actually really helpful right when we first got married, because we had purchased a house and also had to change our withholding.

I am perfectly willing to do it myself, but if paying the accountant to do it gives my husband greater peace of mind, that's worth the $60 to me.

Angelfishtitan

• Stubble
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2012, 07:56:19 AM »
I was under the impression you couldn't itemize deductions with the free version. Perhaps I'm misinformed? Free is better than $7.95 for TaxAct.

Looking at the list of included forms in the free edition (http://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/forms-free-edition.jsp) looks like itemized deductions are included. I believe it always asked me to list major deductions anyway (like property taxes and mortgage interest) and compares it to the standard. Not entirely sure if that is true though as the last few years the standard deduction was higher for me.

simonsez

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2012, 08:46:43 AM »
Yes, I do my own taxes.  I used TurboTax until my income became too high and complications with state returns (or something like that, can't remember) surfaced.  I like doing it all for free in one place and enjoy the process.  Maybe if Virginia didn't have the hoop(s) to jump through for married couples to get their Spouse Tax Adjustment, I'd pay the money and do it online but for now I like getting all the paperwork/fillable forms together and plowing through it.

madage

• Bristles
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2012, 10:21:11 AM »

Are such spreadsheets available online?

I've attached a simplistic tax planning spreadsheet. The tax calculations are valid for 2012 Married Filing Jointly. It can, of course, be modified to any need.

sibamor

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2012, 10:37:25 AM »
Yes, I do my own taxes.  Though I cheat with help. Military One Source provides military members with free tax counselors.  I run through my numbers at the end with them, to make sure I didn't miss anything.  Thought they are not infallible.  Caught a big mistake in September when I found out my spouse doesn't need to pay state income tax to her Home of Record due to her military status in another one. Just deposited the check for the additional $664.00 yesterday.

I highly encourage anyone to do their own tax filings.  It makes you more aware when local, state, and national politics discuss changes in policies to the tax code.  I have already forecast-ed all income for 2013 and the worst case scenario for taxes (return to pre-Bush era tax cuts) to determine what I should do for withholding calculations and budgeting.

igthebold

• Bristles
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2012, 11:56:10 AM »
How are you measuring the amount of the savings?  Did you once do your business taxes on your own (or with TurboTax's help), and then have your accountant re-do them for comparison?  I'm just curious how TurboTax compares to a live accountant; it seems like it makes all kinds of suggestions to (legitimately) reduce your taxes, but maybe there is still somehow knowledge that only accountants have that's unavailable to tax-preparation software?

In my case it had to do with taking my single-member LLC, filing as a sole proprietorship, and converting it over to filing as an S-corp with me as an employee. The savings comes from the difference between paying FICA on ALL my revenue vs paying FICA on my salary.

I suppose I can go back to doing it myself now, but given how much I *hate* doing filing work and the potential that I would be inadvertently filing incorrectly, I'm sticking to the accountant for now.

MooreBonds

• Stubble
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2012, 02:26:12 PM »
I do my own taxes with the free IRS .pdfs that you can type your numbers into. My Federal return for 2011 involved 15 different forms (between capital gains, my side job self-employed consulting gig, and various K-1 investments), so it's fairly extensive....but I don't mind doing it all myself to learn the ins and outs, since I would have to check an accountant's preparations line-by-line anyway. As far as deductions go, the IRS website is fairly clear on what is allowable and not allowable for my side job home-based business...so I'd rather pay myself the $400 or so an accountant would charge.

Missouri offers a free .pdf that actually does the calculations for you - all you do is put in the numbers in the different applicable boxes.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 07:03:12 PM by MooreBonds »

twinge

• Bristles
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2012, 06:30:47 PM »
I've always done them myself.  But I find it fun to track down all the ins and outs of various laws etc. if I only have to do it once a year.
Once had to file 30 separate forms due to various international contracting, royalties, multiple states, sole-proprietorship and I started to wonder if I was in over my head.  But now I'm typically down to 10 or less.  I reviewed a colleague who has some similar side businesses as my own who uses a "good" accountant and I didn't see them getting her anything that I hadn't already figured on my own, so I feel confident that I'm doing okay enough.

DoubleDown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2012, 10:54:34 AM »
Agree with the common sentiment above -- do them yourself if at all possible.

Sadly, I think it's rare to find an accountant or tax preparer who can save you more than you can yourself, and it really is no more convenient since you have to gather everything up and provide explanations and documentation for everything to the tax preparer. I've done both ways as have many people I know, and it definitely ends up being better to do them yourself. The knowledge you gain by doing them yourself will continue to pay dividends many years to come and will help you plan your finances appropriately to maximize tax savings. Last year I found a single, legitimate loophole in the tax code that saved me $14,000 -- yes, $14,000 -- that FOUR tax professionals had missed. They did not have the motivation to save that money and read all the fine print, but I did.  Only by poring through the tax code painstakingly by myself was I able to discover the important change to the tax code and save that money.

Also, one huge advantage to using tax preparation software: you can go through lots of different scenarios, changing things here and there, and seeing the resulting change to the bottom line! You might be surprised how not everything is cut and dried in doing taxes, there can be lots of choices to be made. And equally as important, you can see how things you think might be impacting your taxes make no difference at all (such as if you do not qualify for various credits or deductions).

icefr

• Bristles
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2012, 08:56:21 PM »
I used an accountant for the last couple of years and I won't make that mistake again. He made a typo in my address and really didn't end up saving me any time in the long run.

Throughout the year, I adjust my W-4 exemptions and the straight % withheld on my bonuses and try to get my tax liability as close to 0 as possible. It looks like I've been paying too much tax all year and I'm not going to pay any federal income tax on my December paycheck. So clearly there's some room for improvement in adjusting my withholding next year...

My plan for this year is to compare Free File Fillable Forms with TurboTax and then, in the end, I'll probably end up using Free File Fillable Forms if TurboTax still is a huge pain with my RRSPs.

cdngb

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2012, 06:27:59 PM »
If you do taxes for a lot of family members or friends look at the H & R Block Program that you can purchase as I understand that you can do double the number of returns that you can do on others like Turbo.

The idea of taking your prepared return to an accountant or an income tax preparer is a good one as they may find a mistake at little or no charge.

The best way to learn how to prepare an income tax return is to do a paper one versus one on a computer program.  This allows you better understanding of how the return works.  Once you are comfortable then you can do it on line.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2012, 06:18:41 AM »
But why do a paper one when you can fill out the actual forms electronically for free?

AmbystomaOpacum

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2012, 06:48:42 AM »
I do my own... on paper. Then I physically mail it in.

Why paper? It's time-tested. The IRS has been processing paper returns much longer than electronic returns. The instructions for filling out tax forms were all originally written with paper in mind (write this number in this box, etc), so I find they make the most sense on paper. With paper, you can see the whole form at once, or lay two forms side-by-side, however you like. You aren't tied to how the software has decided you should view the questions. You can also proceed in any order you like (obviously assuming you don't need the earlier numbers yet), not just how the software wants you to proceed.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2012, 07:13:34 AM »
Free File Fillable Forms have actual boxes and actual instructions. Even better, for any computer sold since about 1995, you can still view things side by side. I just don't see any compelling reason for paper but Luddism.

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2012, 08:39:21 AM »
I just don't see any compelling reason for paper but Luddism.

I use paper for the figuring-everything-out stage because handwriting notes in the margin is usually faster and more convenient than taking notes in whatever document editing program I'm in. Paper is also a whole bunch more portable than my laptop wtih its 30-minute battery life, so I can work on it wherever.

Electronic all the way for final copies though.

cthulhu

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2012, 10:41:12 AM »
I buck the trend here - i pay someone - and don't have overly complicated returns.

I think it really comes down to your own mathematical prowess, and ability to understand the ins and outs of tax law.  I am NOT that person, I'm an english major who can handle a monthly budget and has no desire to challenge myself in mathematical ways.

In the scenario of taxes, having them done correctly, and ontime, is a large priority with legal implications if you fail - therefore i chose to have someone who is good at that sort of thing handle them, and the peace of mind is worth the relatively minimal cost (cause, as mentioned, my returns aren't the complicated).  This year it will be even more helpful as this is the first year i have to account for rental income and I have neither an idea, nor the desire to learn, how to do that right.

I submit that paying a minimal amount for tax prep is mustachian when compared with the cost of being pursued for tax fraud :)

Al

Nords

• Magnum Stache
    • Military Retirement & Financial Independence blog
« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2012, 12:57:29 PM »
The best way to learn how to prepare an income tax return is to do a paper one versus one on a computer program.  This allows you better understanding of how the return works.  Once you are comfortable then you can do it on line.
I think that's the best way to learn how to prepare an income tax return... on paper.  My 20-year-old daughter wouldn't think that method is any more relevant than learning how to "dial" a phone or use a manual automobile transmission.

I much prefer TurboTax's "interview" approach, which is more analogous to talking to a CPA.  I think it's also easier to go through the big areas and then dive down in any order, which is a little more challenging to keep together on paper. 

I also heavily use TurboTax's flag approach (or whatever they're calling it this year) to make notes as I go.  But I also end up making a bunch of handwritten notes on the 1099s and other forms, too.

blinky

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2012, 01:08:41 PM »
We have two jobs, two businesses, and four houses including our own. We use an accountant *only* because we found someone fantastic by accident, and he has been a wealth of information over the past three years or so. We pay about $200, but I would say we get far more value than that. He is a real estate investor (and agent) also, and the whole time he does our taxes, we pick his brain about strategies and long-term planning for real estate and other tax issues. He has also referred us to a very good and very reasonably-priced financial adviser, whom we visit about once a year, and who has helped save us a lot of time and energy prioritizing and getting things in order. Our lives are kind of crazy now, and our incomes are decent, so I feel like a few hundred dollars a year is a price I'm willing to pay for all the help we get.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2012, 01:19:27 PM »
I think that's the best way to learn how to prepare an income tax return... on paper.  My 20-year-old daughter wouldn't think that method is any more relevant than learning how to "dial" a phone or use a manual automobile transmission.
You guys are still both setting up a false dichotomy. You can fill out digital forms online that have the exact same line by line instructions as a paper 1040. You don't magically learn less because the postage is free and the processing is fast.

chucklesmcgee

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2012, 07:09:50 PM »
I did my own when I was just by myself getting a salary and socking it in an Roth IRA. It's not too terribly hard for most people and families who have salaries, contribute to a few retirement accounts, kids and a mortgage. Just punch in what's on your W-2s, take the pretty run of the mill deductions and go from there. More complicated than that and it gets tricky quickly, especially when you run into questions that haven't really been directly answered by the IRS.

Now that I've got my own business and a nice stash, I've got an S-Corp, self-directed Roth IRA LLC which I rolled a traditional IRA into after converting it to a Roth , self-administered 401k trust, 529, HSA, taxable investment accounts, etc, etc. Federal taxes, state taxes, local taxes, reporting forms and requirements, and the fact I moved in the middle of the year really all make my headache. While I think I'm capable of filing my own income taxes, it's a question as to whether I'm capable of determining the LOWEST amount of tax I legally need to pay without taking deductions I shouldn't and accidentally doing something illegal. Also, as my income's grown I think I become a bigger target for an audit, so the chance a mistake comes back to bite me is also greater. Also with a higher income, missing a single deduction can easily exceed the cost of the entire preparation service. So to each his own.

ruthiegirl

• Bristles
« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2012, 01:51:28 PM »
Taxactonline.com.  I've used it for about 8 years.  It's under $20 for both state and federal.  I don't know why anyone would spend $40 for turbotax.

Me too

skandrae

• Stubble
« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2012, 09:37:53 PM »
I go to a tax preparation service - There's exemptions and allowances for living in the North that get complicated, and the year I tried to do my own taxes was the year I got audited by the CRA. Things seem to go more smoothly when C does them for me :)

iamlindoro

• Handlebar Stache
    • The Earth Awaits
« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2012, 09:57:02 PM »
I do my own, though I am the tiniest bit anxious about their complexity this year with regular income, partial unemployment income, investment returns, estimated taxes, Schedule C self employment income all in the mix.  I imagine I'll get it figured out :)

I'll have to check out taxactonline... is the wizard as clear and intuitive as the TurboTax one?

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #42 on: November 29, 2012, 09:12:39 AM »
One of the things I've thought would be interesting (for a couple of definitions of interesting) is to take the HR Block training to become a part time tax preparer.  If all I ever do is my own taxes I'd feel pretty good about it however complex they were, and it would open up a potential job Jan-April every year.  There was a woman on one of the forums I frequent (Simple Living, I think) who had that as her main job, and had 9 months off to spend with her daughter.  They did live a spartan lifestyle, I believe, but it worked for them.

tomsang

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #43 on: November 29, 2012, 10:26:26 AM »
As a CPA who does not do individual taxes the vast majority of people should be able to do their own taxes.  If you have rentals and businesses then you have to be careful to claim all the deductions that are available. I see a lot of people give up legitimate deductions because they are worried about the IRS or the state auditing them. If this is you then hiring someone to hold your hand and assure you that you will not go to jail, then you make money paying a CPA. On a regular basis I saw people  losing $100's or thousands because they are capitalizing assets that could be expensed, they are not capturing depreciation correctly, not taking advantage of tax credits, not planning, etc.  if you have a w-2 and a home do the return yourself. If you have a business, rentals, stock options, etc. then it makes sense to do your return, but have a CPA do a thorough review. Once you feel comfortable then do it yourself. Turbo Tax and others sometimes give you a false sense of security, but are great for simple returns. Many years ago I had a w-2 individual who also was receiving stock options. He did his return, but came in after filing for many years. He didn't make the correct elections and it cost him $200k+. He was on the verge of tears. That is the extreme but when I was doing taxes, it was rare where I couldn't find savings that offset my fees.

illy5603

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #44 on: November 29, 2012, 11:26:17 AM »
I have had "a dude" for taxes for past 10 years. I have rentals and used to own my own business so I trust him to depreciate everything correctly. I mostly enjoy not having that deadline and paperwork looming over my head every year. Unlike mustachianism where we are encouraged to mow our own lawns and exercise, taxes are just another desk duty like the one I do every day at work and I am happy to get it off of my plate.

madage

• Bristles
« Reply #45 on: December 04, 2012, 03:28:53 PM »
I'll have to check out taxactonline... is the wizard as clear and intuitive as the TurboTax one?

In my opinion, the wizard does not hold your hand as much as TurboTax did the last time I used it (2009?). If you're familiar with doing your taxes, you should have no problems with TaxAct.