Author Topic: Do mustacians care about performance reviews and raises?  (Read 19364 times)

brute

• Pencil Stache
Re: Do mustacians care about performance reviews and raises?
« Reply #50 on: June 07, 2016, 01:18:07 PM »
This is a long game and 25 is honestly too early to quit while you are ahead. Modeling you are 5 years from RE when you have a net worth of 40k is impossible.

Oh I'm sorry I thought this was an early retirement forum where lots of people planned for extremely short working careers based on their income and spending and savings rate... how is this a long game? I can absolutely model that I am 5 years away from retirement... Are you kidding because reaching financial independence at around 30 or early 30s is what MMM did and tons of other people who fuel this RE movement.

I really don't understand how half the people on these forums don't seemingly even want to retire.

I'll be 33 when I'm done, inclusive of an initial pointless bachelor's degree. Without that, it would have been 30, similar to Comfyfuton's. An 80%+ savings rate certainly approximates a 5 year span. I am slightly ahead of schedule, despite early forays into the delusion that I was smarter than the market.

I find that the crowd at ERE is a little more receptive to extremely short careers. A lot of the people here don't believe in the 4% rule. That being said, there's still a lot of great input here.

No need to be defensive. You can pick and choose which advice to take.

yea... lots of great stuff here and it's why i spend a lot of time reading here but it really irritates me when people directly oppose my plans or ideas... especially when it's because of being lumped into a younger generation.

Don't let anyone discourage you from retiring early. Once you've got enough, pull the trigger. And once you're retired, you'll probably find something do to that can make some extra money too. The main thing I would think about is not being able to access retirement accounts until you're almost 60. You probably already thought about it, but just wanted to make sure.

tonysemail

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #51 on: June 07, 2016, 01:22:00 PM »
Sure... you can model whatever you want. Doesn't mean your model is going to be right.  5 years is such a short time frame that you can't even use a certain ROI number to even somewhat accurately guess what you might have in 5 years.  If you do, you got fucking lucky as shit. 

I have to second this. 
I've found that very few people are static and that the only constant is change.
You may know some older friends and family whom you trust... solicit their advice!
Ask them how accurately they projected their life's path at age 25.

You may find yourself working longer than you think due to children

This was true for me.  Having children fundamentally shifted my values.
comfyfutons, do you plan to not have kids or does your FIRE amount already account for it?
There's a lot of subtle details, so you should build in a lot of margin for error!

If I did put in the work to exceed expectations then I would maybe get 2% more on my yearly raise and maybe get promoted to the next ranks of software engineer a year or two earlier.

Now the people I see in these higher positions end up being experts on the different systems and are the people who are "on call" and the people dealing with critical time sensitive issues and staying late and working overtime and having to deal with crunch times during installs of releases.

You're very lucky (and perhaps talented) to be in SW engineering because its in such high demand. 
It's not ununusual for a badass SW engineer to double their salary in the first 5 years out of college... perhaps your megacorp sucks?
If you're in a HCOL city, then you should be able to job hop to accelerate the promotions and raises.
That would be the mustachian way to show Megacorp who's the boss.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 01:29:10 PM by tonysemail »

CmFtns

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #52 on: June 07, 2016, 01:22:55 PM »
This is a long game and 25 is honestly too early to quit while you are ahead. Modeling you are 5 years from RE when you have a net worth of 40k is impossible.

Oh I'm sorry I thought this was an early retirement forum where lots of people planned for extremely short working careers based on their income and spending and savings rate... how is this a long game? I can absolutely model that I am 5 years away from retirement... Are you kidding because reaching financial independence at around 30 or early 30s is what MMM did and tons of other people who fuel this RE movement.

I really don't understand how half the people on these forums don't seemingly even want to retire.

I'll be 33 when I'm done, inclusive of an initial pointless bachelor's degree. Without that, it would have been 30, similar to Comfyfuton's. An 80%+ savings rate certainly approximates a 5 year span. I am slightly ahead of schedule, despite early forays into the delusion that I was smarter than the market.

I find that the crowd at ERE is a little more receptive to extremely short careers. A lot of the people here don't believe in the 4% rule. That being said, there's still a lot of great input here.

yea... lots of great stuff here and it's why i spend a lot of time reading here but it really irritates me when people directly oppose my plans or ideas... especially when it's because of being lumped into a younger generation.

Don't let anyone discourage you from retiring early. Once you've got enough, pull the trigger. And once you're retired, you'll probably find something do to that can make some extra money too. The main thing I would think about is not being able to access retirement accounts until you're almost 60. You probably already thought about it, but just wanted to make sure.

thanks
All planned out through mix of roth conversion ladder and after-tax accounts

Brokenreign

• Stubble
« Reply #53 on: June 07, 2016, 01:24:44 PM »

Fair enough. I think an integral component to early early workforce departure is not giving a shit what others think though. That's the same reason i wear the same pants every day.

index

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #54 on: June 07, 2016, 01:31:56 PM »

Woah. pay attention to the first part please:

I think there is a lot to the work vs. stress ratio. I would just urge you to try and maximize your income, growing your skill set, and saving at this point in your life without forgetting to have some fun and actually spend some money along the way.

I am pointing out that you are 25 and have a net worth of 40k, not that your plan is flawed or you won't achieve your goals. I am stating you are not in the position to say: "To hell with the corporate BS. I don't care about getting raises. I have it all figured out." If you were 29 with 450k in investments and living off the same 13k a year then I would agree a raise probably doesn't mean much to you and you shouldn't kill yourself trying. As it is, you are putting the cart before the horse.   

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #55 on: June 07, 2016, 01:49:54 PM »

you're good projecting out 5 years at an 80% savings rate is fine.  worst case you work 7 more years b/c of a couple down markets and it adds 2 years.  best case you beat it but at 80% savings the markets play almost no roll. and part of me wishes i'd found this site before i graduated college(would have been impossible since it didnt exist) but i'm going to work for 12-15 years b/c i'm not willing to cut some of my life luxuries i've acquired in the 3 years prior to MMM.  we still do save 65% of our income but that extra 15% would be huge!

CmFtns

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #56 on: June 07, 2016, 01:54:44 PM »
I am pointing out that you are 25 and have a net worth of 40k, not that your plan is flawed or you won't achieve your goals. I am stating you are not in the position to say: "To hell with the corporate BS. I don't care about getting raises. I have it all figured out." If you were 29 with 450k in investments and living off the same 13k a year then I would agree a raise probably doesn't mean much to you and you shouldn't kill yourself trying. As it is, you are putting the cart before the horse.   

You are literally saying "you are too young and naive to make plans... Your plan might work in theory but you'll probably fuck it up"

I'm sorry I'm too young to know it all please let us end this conversation since it's going nowhere. I'll report back when i'm 29 and I have it all figured out.

you're good projecting out 5 years at an 80% savings rate is fine.  worst case you work 7 more years b/c of a couple down markets and it adds 2 years.  best case you beat it but at 80% savings the markets play almost no roll.

These are exactly my thoughts on the range of outcomes.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 02:01:33 PM by comfyfutons »

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #57 on: June 07, 2016, 02:05:59 PM »
 Getting back on topic, I do have a hard time caring. I'm not that close, but definitely within five years to FI, though I'll likely work longer by choice. Also, nothing I do, and no review I get, will give me any raise or even a cost-of-living increase.  A promotion to another admin position would probably give me a raise, but for that, I'm not looking at an annual review; I'm looking at an application and interview process done by people other than the people who write my annual reviews. And I'm not sure there's any promotion available that I would accept at this point in my career, either. I can name several that I definitely would not accept, that's for sure.

I play the annual review game, and it is a very involved process that keeps me from doing my job for a couple of weeks, largely because it would cause my department and our chair unnecessary stress if I did not.

I do have one more step of promotion I can undertake in a few years, to full professor. Unless something radical happens to change my mind, I won't be jumping through the hoops for that one. It's a lot more work than the annual review, which I'd also have to do at the same time. My students would suffer tremendously that term.

CmFtns

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #58 on: June 07, 2016, 02:35:27 PM »
Sure... you can model whatever you want. Doesn't mean your model is going to be right.  5 years is such a short time frame that you can't even use a certain ROI number to even somewhat accurately guess what you might have in 5 years.  If you do, you got fucking lucky as shit. 

I have to second this. 
I've found that very few people are static and that the only constant is change.
You may know some older friends and family whom you trust... solicit their advice!
Ask them how accurately they projected their life's path at age 25.

You may find yourself working longer than you think due to children

This was true for me.  Having children fundamentally shifted my values.
comfyfutons, do you plan to not have kids or does your FIRE amount already account for it?
There's a lot of subtle details, so you should build in a lot of margin for error!

If I did put in the work to exceed expectations then I would maybe get 2% more on my yearly raise and maybe get promoted to the next ranks of software engineer a year or two earlier.

Now the people I see in these higher positions end up being experts on the different systems and are the people who are "on call" and the people dealing with critical time sensitive issues and staying late and working overtime and having to deal with crunch times during installs of releases.

You're very lucky (and perhaps talented) to be in SW engineering because its in such high demand. 
It's not ununusual for a badass SW engineer to double their salary in the first 5 years out of college... perhaps your megacorp sucks?
If you're in a HCOL city, then you should be able to job hop to accelerate the promotions and raises.
That would be the mustachian way to show Megacorp who's the boss.

I have talked to a few people and they all say the same thing about "life happens" eluding to the same thing your squiggly line cartoon points out. But it seems like every time I get down into the details of "okay so what went so awry in your life?" it always ends up like this... "Well my car broke down right after college and we got a new car so we had those payments and student loans took us 10 years and and we bought this expensive house and mortgage rates were 15% back then and oh yea kid 1 was a surprise and then kid 2 and 3 happened and we didn't have much to save as we would have liked"

It always comes down to kids and other decisions I am positive won't affect us. I've tried to learn about common hurdles in life and worked hard to put myself in a position where I can minimize the unexpected. My GF and I are in full agreement that we are not having kids anytime soon and taking all precautionary steps necessary... We also both have reliable paid off cars which I do most maintenance on no student loans and I bought a very affordable house which I also do all maintenance on that will take us through our plans...

We live in a low cost of living area that is a hub for government contractors who are basically all megacorps that have significant software engineering positions but they all operate pretty much the same way... no one is going to double my salary for job hopping, I don't want to have a long commute, and I have zero interest in moving far away from family/friends to a HCOL sillicon valley type of place
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 02:46:27 PM by comfyfutons »

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #59 on: June 07, 2016, 02:55:50 PM »
I don't really. I mean, I definitely like the reminder that my employer thinks I add value to the company, and thinks I do a good job. But I have no desire to advance, take on additional responsibilities, or work any harder - I've settled in for a 7/8 year haul, and don't really have any interest in anything except doing a good job of my role until pulling the plug.

doggyfizzle

• Bristles
« Reply #60 on: June 07, 2016, 03:38:31 PM »
But I have no desire to advance, take on additional responsibilities, or work any harder - I've settled in for a 7/8 year haul, and don't really have any interest in anything except doing a good job of my role until pulling the plug.
I couldn't have said it any better myself, although I'm settled in for a 20 year haul so I'll accumulate enough to put my 3 month old for college.  I'm a Fed who hopes his agency has a significant voluntary separation incentive program in the future that I can take part in.  If I can make it to 52, that would give me 25 years of service with a nice pension and healthcare.

I found that once my non-labor income rate (dividends) started growing at 6-10% annually and became a significant source of income, I stopped caring about performance reviews and raises.

Cellista

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #61 on: June 08, 2016, 08:24:28 AM »
Performance reviews are important to me only in the sense that I want to be an asset to my organization and be recognized as a team player. Beyond that, I don't care.

I have 5.5 years until my minimum retirement age.

Where I work (federal government), I have effectively topped out in that any additional salary would require moving into management.  God help me, no.  Many extra hours and high stress.  Always being on call.  It's not worth it.

We get "bonuses" but they are tiny and it's not clear what you have to do to earn one.

Our salaries are in the hands of the President and Congress, neither of whom is a friend to federal workers.  In estimating my income over the next six years, I assume three years of 1% raise and three with zero.  I do get two in-grade boosts, which will help.

index

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #62 on: June 08, 2016, 09:37:57 AM »

You are literally saying "you are too young and naive to make plans... Your plan might work in theory but you'll probably fuck it up"

I'm sorry I'm too young to know it all please let us end this conversation since it's going nowhere. I'll report back when i'm 29 and I have it all figured out.

you're good projecting out 5 years at an 80% savings rate is fine.  worst case you work 7 more years b/c of a couple down markets and it adds 2 years.  best case you beat it but at 80% savings the markets play almost no roll.

Chill out dude. I was giving you the advice that you are 25 and saying you don't care about raises because you already have it all figured out is premature.

The difference between 25 and 35 is similar to the gap between a 25 and 15. Your life is going to change A LOT in the next 10 years. You have all your 25 year old priorities figured out, but priorities change. There are many people who said they were never having kids that have 3 now, said they found their life partner and are now divorced and gave half their savings to their ex, or are spending 10k more per year than they had thought they would. A lot of good things can happen too - you may be making double what you do now in 5 or 6 years, you could start a blog that brings in 400k per year, or your house could appreciate 3 fold.

Have a plan and try to stick to it, but invest in yourself constantly. You are naive. Admit that to yourself! Anyone can look back at themselves 10 or 15 years ago and say "I wish I had known!" The best you can do is to keep your options open and that means caring about your career, how ever short it ends up!

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #63 on: June 08, 2016, 10:04:48 AM »

Chill out dude. I was giving you the advice that you are 25 and saying you don't care about raises because you already have it all figured out is premature.

The difference between 25 and 35 is similar to the gap between a 25 and 15. Your life is going to change A LOT in the next 10 years. You have all your 25 year old priorities figured out, but priorities change. There are many people who said they were never having kids that have 3 now, said they found their life partner and are now divorced and gave half their savings to their ex, or are spending 10k more per year than they had thought they would. A lot of good things can happen too - you may be making double what you do now in 5 or 6 years, you could start a blog that brings in 400k per year, or your house could appreciate 3 fold.

Have a plan and try to stick to it, but invest in yourself constantly. You are naive. Admit that to yourself! Anyone can look back at themselves 10 or 15 years ago and say "I wish I had known!" The best you can do is to keep your options open and that means caring about your career, how ever short it ends up!

everything you just put in that anti comment about someone's plan is a life choice.  we make these cognitively they dont really just happen.  having a child is a cognitive decision you dont just wake up walk outside and there's a stork dropping off a baby.  getting married and divorced are both coginitive. deciding to spend 10k per year more.. again cognitive.  your dooming and glooming a younger guy b/c WHY exactly b/c you are gonna have to work til you're in your 50s or what? are you trying to feel better about yourself.  i dont really see the point in trying to shoot hypothetical holes in someone else's FIRE plans. 

he knows how much he makes now and doesnt want to inflate his lifestyle and doesnt need more money to do it.  when you get to ~5 years or less away from FIRE you start to have feelings that they dont matter he hasnt once said he was going to actively do nothing just that he doesnt really care about the reviews or the raises.  which is a perfectly acceptable feeling to have, as long as it doesnt show up in his work.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #64 on: June 08, 2016, 10:10:44 AM »

Kind of patronizing. There are people who know what they want in life from a very early age (myself included), and I would bet it's way more common among Mustachians than the general population because of our unnaturally good ability to think ahead by more than the next five minutes, and make rational decisions.

index

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #65 on: June 08, 2016, 10:57:02 AM »
everything you just put in that anti comment about someone's plan is a life choice.  we make these cognitively they dont really just happen.  having a child is a cognitive decision you dont just wake up walk outside and there's a stork dropping off a baby.  getting married and divorced are both coginitive. deciding to spend 10k per year more.. again cognitive.  your dooming and glooming a younger guy b/c WHY exactly b/c you are gonna have to work til you're in your 50s or what? are you trying to feel better about yourself.  i dont really see the point in trying to shoot hypothetical holes in someone else's FIRE plans. 

he knows how much he makes now and doesnt want to inflate his lifestyle and doesnt need more money to do it.  when you get to ~5 years or less away from FIRE you start to have feelings that they dont matter he hasnt once said he was going to actively do nothing just that he doesnt really care about the reviews or the raises.  which is a perfectly acceptable feeling to have, as long as it doesnt show up in his work.

This is not an anti-comment on someones life choice. I am just advising:

He posted in - Ask a Mustachian
Do you need advice? Do you like helping others? Post your financial or life dilemma here and see if MMM or one of the other readers can help!

I took the time and looked at his journal. He is 25 and has now held his first job for 15 months and saved 40k. He is doing great! Is he 5 years from retiring? If he stays on the same path and continues spending 13k a year then absolutely. If my friend in the same situation had said to me:

So I find myself in FY16 review season and while I BSed by way through the review process I can't help but feel that none of it matters so long as I don't get bad enough scores to get fired.

I would say - you are going to be working at least the next 5 years regardless so you may as well be a bad ass to leave yourself some options. I.e. more money, possibility to work PT after 5 years, establish yourself as an expert so you can consult later, etc. 

I don't think my posts have been doom and gloom or shooting down plans. The advice has been to keep your options open and care about your career.   

If the post was just to brag then maybe it should be in -    Share Your Badassity
Who has something dialed down? Describe a tip, trick or technique that you have discovered, and would like to share with your friends.

If the post was here I would have said - I can totally see how you feel that way. When I sign into mint I see my retirement accounts move more in a day than I make in a month; the income from work feels kind of secondary. I have had spending and saving dialed in for 10 years to feel like that.

I would have face punched myself 10 years ago if I had said: "I have a model, I've got it all figured out!"

CmFtns

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #66 on: June 08, 2016, 11:46:07 AM »
Index,

I felt that ask a mustacian was the appropriate section because I was asking a question to other mustacians... the question was: Do other people feel the same way I do?

I didn't ask for advice on if or why I should care but was just wondering how other people felt about the work and Corporate game playing required for incremental raises and promotions when you plan for a short career path.

I also said in my first post that I have played the game so far... so I am already taking your advice trying to leave my options open but that doesn't change the fact that I feel that it is worthless.

therefore why I took some of your comments in a bad way.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 11:48:14 AM by CmFtns »

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #67 on: June 08, 2016, 02:41:43 PM »
with your wealth of advice Index i assume you must be FIREd already and did so around 30 to be such a wealth of information on the subject.

index

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #68 on: June 08, 2016, 03:24:15 PM »
with your wealth of advice Index i assume you must be FIREd already and did so around 30 to be such a wealth of information on the subject.

It's not rocket science to give a damn about their career when starting their accumulation phase.

The more money I have invested, the less I care about getting a raise or promotion.

correct.  i think this is really the point here.  i think most of us care about our jobs to some extent and want to do well but just like "senioritis" from high school or college.  it reaches a point of diminishing returns and you're really just waiting for the time to come /// all that compounding just takes time.  once you have made it 50% in years not dollars til FIRE there isnt alot a few extra grand will do.

You are making the same point I am. When you are 50% of the way there then you tend to care less. Well the OP posted in the advice section and wasn't 50% of the way there; he was just starting out.

Go troll somewhere else.

jjcamembert

• Stubble
« Reply #69 on: June 08, 2016, 03:25:46 PM »
I think the standard performance review system that most companies use is broken (bell curve, everyone gets a % raise system). If it's intended as a performance incentive, I agree 2-5% isn't enough incentive for me to work extra hours, take more responsibility, etc. In many cases, a newer person starting with a low salary eventually increases their skill level to a market rate far higher than when they started, and the company eventually loses people who they were underpaying. Conversely, there can be a lot of older workers who are overpaid just because they've stayed in one place for so long, and aren't necessarily contributing significantly more than their lower-paid coworkers. I think I'd rather my salary be tied to an index based on the job I'm performing, but even that's nebulous. Not saying I know of a better solution ;)

I value my work based on learning new skills (marketability), having a positive work-life balance, and contributing value to my projects. If I increase my marketability above the value the current company places on my head, I can ask for a bigger raise or leave for a job that pays me market rate.

I also know of workplaces where there have been zero raises in the past several years, but people still stick around because they are one of few employers who still offer a pension plan.

JZinCO

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #70 on: June 08, 2016, 04:16:51 PM »
I could have opined...

but I just received a 1.8% raise today so I'll share my reaction. I asked my supervisor:
"Did you do this?"
him: "Yeah.. it's piddly but all I was allowed to give"
"But it's X more than before!"
"And then there's taxes..."
"Even with X% state & federal, it's still $Y more! Thanks, I appreciate."

He and I must've had a different take on this. Sure it's a small number. I might not recognize its impact on my pay advices, but..when life gives you lemons be fucking grateful that you have a lemon!
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 04:18:22 PM by JZinCO »

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #71 on: June 08, 2016, 04:21:35 PM »
Getting back on topic, I do have a hard time caring. I'm not that close, but definitely within five years to FI, though I'll likely work longer by choice. Also, nothing I do, and no review I get, will give me any raise or even a cost-of-living increase. 

Apparently, I should make blanket statements like the bolded one above more frequently. It seems the state legislature came off of an incredibly tiny amount of merit raise money at the last minute this year, and I just found out today that I'm getting a big chunk of what came to our college. Now, that doesn't mean that my pay increase will match inflation for the year, don't give me wrong, but still…

SeaEhm

• Bristles
  • The Guilt is Real
« Reply #72 on: June 08, 2016, 04:32:53 PM »
Speaking as an employer.  Someone that doesn't care and can't be motivated by money likely won't be much of a contributor and I'd be looking to replace them or stick them in a corner somewhere that they couldn't hurt the bottom line or screw up a client relationship.
You should switch jobs to something you enjoy.

http://www.ted.com/talks/dan_pink_on_motivation?language=en

My wife likes to spend money.  My wife doesn't even know how much she makes.  So I guess it can go both ways. 

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #73 on: June 08, 2016, 04:50:44 PM »
It's a trivial amount of effort for the overall value it adds to me financially.

So yes, I do care.

aschmidt2930

• Bristles
« Reply #74 on: June 08, 2016, 04:53:26 PM »
Absolutely.  Why wouldn't someone trying to stash away huge sums of money care about raises?  A couple percent extra salary bump is significant when you look at how it compound s if invested.

Davids

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #75 on: June 08, 2016, 07:44:23 PM »
Extra money is always good but at what cost. I think about my current employment and I am fairly happy in my position. I would not mind being in my boss's position but I would not want to be in my boss's boss position so I am willing to only go to a certain level before I know the work/life balance takes a significant hit and the extra money is not worth it.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #76 on: June 09, 2016, 05:56:03 AM »
Absolutely.  Why wouldn't someone trying to stash away huge sums of money care about raises?  A couple percent extra salary bump is significant when you look at how it compound s if invested.

a couple percent salary bump doesnt keep up with inflation on avg. its beat it the last couple years but if you avg your annual raises and they arent around 3% for your career you havent even kept up with inflation.  so yippy youre getting paid less compared to the value of a dollar???  so you're technically compounding negatively in respect to your value at work.  i'd be looking for a new job at that point.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #77 on: June 09, 2016, 07:01:44 AM »
I only care about performance reviews if I learn something useful from them. The best one I ever had was a brutal 360 where I was evaluated by bosses, peers and staff. Turned out my peers hated me. I completely changed the way I worked with them and ended up making some good friends. Their honest evaluations set me up for a lot of success later.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #78 on: June 09, 2016, 12:11:40 PM »

a couple percent salary bump doesnt keep up with inflation on avg. its beat it the last couple years but if you avg your annual raises and they arent around 3% for your career you havent even kept up with inflation.  so yippy youre getting paid less compared to the value of a dollar???  so you're technically compounding negatively in respect to your value at work.  i'd be looking for a new job at that point.

This argument appears to assume that you can't get raises and also look for new opportunities.  If you're arguing that a 2-3% raise is effectively worth less than nothing, what's so superior about no raise at all?  You might as well go buy coffee every morning -- that costs even less than a 2% raise would get me after tax, so it doesn't matter right?
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 12:19:36 PM by JLee »

Slee_stack

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #79 on: June 09, 2016, 12:22:47 PM »
We just had our annual reviews.  Raises were underwhelming this year.  A top performer gets 3.5%.  A below average one, 0%.

Personally, I won't put in extra time for 3.5%.  Hourly, that amounts to an extra 1.33 hrs per week based on 40.  (Counting inflation probably +0 hrs)

So many salaried people chase 10's of extra hours a week and get rewarded with a measly x% raise netting them a significant hourly pay drop.  You truly have to desperate for the extra money and really have nothing you'd rather do in your 'free' time.  In the past I've seen many salaried Engineers net lower compensation than a Maintenance Tech paid hourly with the same amount of OT.

My #1 interest is work-life balance (skewing towards 100% life!).  I suspect everyone on this forum shares the same.

Any kind of raise (vs none) reduces the time to FIRE, all else equal, but if additional time is required to get that raise, no thanks!

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #80 on: June 09, 2016, 12:54:02 PM »
We just had our annual reviews.  Raises were underwhelming this year.  A top performer gets 3.5%.  A below average one, 0%.

Personally, I won't put in extra time for 3.5%.  Hourly, that amounts to an extra 1.33 hrs per week based on 40.  (Counting inflation probably +0 hrs)

So many salaried people chase 10's of extra hours a week and get rewarded with a measly x% raise netting them a significant hourly pay drop.  You truly have to desperate for the extra money and really have nothing you'd rather do in your 'free' time.  In the past I've seen many salaried Engineers net lower compensation than a Maintenance Tech paid hourly with the same amount of OT.

My #1 interest is work-life balance (skewing towards 100% life!).  I suspect everyone on this forum shares the same.

Any kind of raise (vs none) reduces the time to FIRE, all else equal, but if additional time is required to get that raise, no thanks!

I started my IT career just under four years ago and was told by a friend/coworker that 50-60hr weeks are normal, expected, and to get used to it if you want to move up.  While working for the same company (where he was always busting his ass working long hours), I made sure to track and take comp time if I worked over 40.  We did have different job roles at the time (we both were promoted several times as well), but I maintained my ~40hr work week.  I've since moved on to another company and have surpassed my friend's income substantially, while still doing the best I can to stick around 40.  Sometimes there's no choice and I have to work more (though my boss is great about giving me time off to compensate), but I absolutely agree - I'm not going to chase raises by working absurd hours. It has not been necessary, in my experience.  YMMV, of course! :)

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #81 on: June 09, 2016, 03:29:55 PM »
Yup, Biggest raises come by moving companies.

Sad but true!