Author Topic: Do it myself bumper replacement?  (Read 2933 times)

sieben

• Stubble
Do it myself bumper replacement?
« on: December 31, 2014, 05:38:08 PM »
Hi everyone!

I live in the middle of the frozen Canadian prairies and between the ice and snow managed to bust up the corner of the rear bumper on my 2007 Chevy Malibu. I got a quote to replace the bumper and it was over $1000.00 Canadian. I'm wondering if anyone here has replaced their own bumper in the past and has any advice? I was thinking about trying to find one at a near by salvage yard or failing that trying to get one online?

My other option is to leave the bumper as is for now and replace it whenever/if ever I get around to it. Anyone have an opinion on that?

Thanks!

Grid

• Bristles
  • I kept dreaming of a world I thought I'd never see
Re: Do it myself bumper replacement?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2014, 05:49:50 PM »
Yeah, I bought my Honda Fit totaled and had to fix up the whole front end (not engine stuff though thankfully).  I bought the new bumper wholesale from a Honda parts dealer in the US (I'm in the US as well).  It didn't come painted, however, so I had to take it to Maaco and have it painted.  They thankfully had a sale at the time of $150 for painting bumpers at the time.  The bumper was like $250 shipped, and the snap connectors were an extra $20 maybe USD.  So, that's a $420 estimate just for new parts - I have no idea if you have foam underneath that needs to be replaced as well. 

You really should be able to get cheaper than that.  Just check http://www.car-part.com/ for Chevy Malibu bumpers in your area.

And if you don't have anything against just leaving it be, that's the easiest way to go!  It's the back corner, so mostly cosmetic, since the rear bumper is meant as a protection against direct rear impacts.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2014, 05:52:04 PM »
Do you just need the bumper cover, or is there underlying damage to the actual bumper or any sheet metal? It would be frustrating to buy a new cover and then find that it's damaged underneath to where a new one won't bolt on.

Grid

• Bristles
  • I kept dreaming of a world I thought I'd never see
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2014, 05:55:38 PM »
Do you just need the bumper cover, or is there underlying damage to the actual bumper or any sheet metal? It would be frustrating to buy a new cover and then find that it's damaged underneath to where a new one won't bolt on.

Yes!  How bad is the damage?  Hopefully any frame damage can be knocked back into place.

sieben

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2015, 04:38:30 PM »
Hey guys,

Thanks for the responses!  Yeah the damage is 100% cosmetic which is why it bugged me that it was going to cost so much. The bumper took a very small bump on the far corner,  if it hadn't been over 30 degrees Celsius below zero nothing would have happened.  Instead the corner shattered on me.  There is no damage other then some missing plastic.

I think I'll hold of till it warms up a bit and then find a replacement myself and do what I can myself.

Thanks for the insight!

TerriM

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2015, 06:21:16 PM »
I replaced my bumper using a bumper from these guys:

Online Part Bin www.onlinepartbin.com [onlinepartssales@gmail.com]

The color wasn't an exact match, but I was very pleased none-the-less with doing it myself.  Unfortunately, they no longer seem to have a net-presence :(

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!