Author Topic: Do I have to file multiple state tax?  (Read 2226 times)

hope2retire

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Do I have to file multiple state tax?
« on: January 27, 2017, 05:59:38 PM »
Hi All,
I stayed and worked in State1 the whole year. During the year I received a check for patent from my previous employer from State2; not much < $1k. Do i have to submit 2 state returns because of this?
A. One for State 1 excluding the amount and one for state 2 including the amount (or)
B. submit just one State return in State1 including the amount?
I am confused. I used option B last year as the same amount was less than $250 and they did not issue the 1099 Misc.
Any ideas?

Thanks
H2R

Ursus Major

• Stubble
Re: Do I have to file multiple state tax?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2017, 06:07:26 PM »
Hi All,
I stayed and worked in State1 the whole year. During the year I received a check for patent from my previous employer from State2; not much < $1k. Do i have to submit 2 state returns because of this?
A. One for State 1 excluding the amount and one for state 2 including the amount (or)
B. submit just one State return in State1 including the amount?
I am confused. I used option B last year as the same amount was less than $250 and they did not issue the 1099 Misc.
Any ideas?

Thanks
H2R
I would venture a guess that in principle it is A. However state2 may have a lower threshold on non-resident returns. you'll need to check the tax website of state 2.

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2017, 06:15:47 PM »
Is it just a 1099-MISC or did they send you a W-2? If it's only a 1099-MISC then you should not need to file a separate state return for it.

hope2retire

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2017, 06:45:52 PM »
thanks Dave and Ursus Major,
It is just 1099 Misc, No W2 or anything.  Actually, I just checked State2, and it said i am eligible to file if i have State 2 drivers license which i don't have. So it falls in line with what you said. Any links that would throw more light on this would greatly help.

Thanks
H2R

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!