Author Topic: Do I get a GoPro?  (Read 6469 times)

Mr One Wheel Drive

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Do I get a GoPro?
« on: July 23, 2014, 02:22:29 PM »
I'd love to film while I'm biking with something like a helmet cam. Fun stuff, like my daughter riding along, doing wheelies, whatever, but also maybe for evidence as I commute into work.

I'm wondering if I should get a GoPro. It seems really expensive for what it is but everyone that I've talked to that has one says that it's worth the money. Currently I use my cell phone to film and it's really hard to film with the phone in one hand while I'm biking, and it can hold a very limited amount of video. I also tried using cheap digital cameras that I can mount on my handlebars using the camera's tripod screw-on thingy but the results were disappointing.

I've looked at other alternatives like the Sony action cam and they look ok, with their own pros and cons.

Anyone else have any experience? Are they worth the steep price?

shotgunwilly

• Pencil Stache
Re: Do I get a GoPro?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 02:40:40 PM »
IMO they are amazing cameras for their price.

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 02:52:38 PM »
Would this go out of your hobby budget, or your transportation budget, and why? That might help you decide.

Shor

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2014, 03:53:22 PM »
The cameras themselves are definitely great quality, and definitely very expensive.
Look to get one second hand as you can easily get an earlier generation model for a much cheaper price. These usually work just fine, but the person either doesn't do all of their amazing stuff anymore, or they got a newer generation because of XYZ reasons which will hardly matter to you.
Another thing you can do is look to share it amongst a group of buddies, where you all cycle it out for whoever is doing their big trip / hike / biking etc. This works really well since most people only really want to use it that one week in the year they go on an amazing adventure.

Denarius

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2014, 04:43:12 PM »
Consider the Drift HD cameras as well, alot of motovloggers use em.

The_Dude

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2014, 05:35:26 PM »
I have an older GoPro and they are fun cameras to use.  One thing I would recommend if you are serious about recording your commute for safety reasons is ensuring any camera you get has a looping mode.  The newer GoPro cameras have this but mine does not.

The looping mode allows you to video continuously but it will only save recent footage and after a certain amount of time it will record over earlier footage.  Other cameras let you hit a button on the camera and then it will save the last X minutes.  That way you don't have to keep deleting useless footage or manage huge video files.

RetireAbroadAt35

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2014, 09:23:16 AM »
The Contour is a nice alternative.  Only one button so it is really easy to operate, which I think is important when you're in the midst of bicycling, etc.

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2014, 10:41:00 AM »
I'd love to film while I'm biking with something like a helmet cam. Fun stuff, like my daughter riding along, doing wheelies, whatever, but also maybe for evidence as I commute into work.

See if you can borrow one to see if it's worthwhile.  I've had similar desires, bought the stuff, then the interest quickly faded.  Make sure you won't waste your money.

As far as evidence collection, well, that's a personal choice, but I wouldn't.  I understand the desire to have video proof of when somebody wrongs you.  However, if you're like a normal person you violate many laws throughout the day (and you're probably unaware of what many of those laws ever are).  That evidence is also recorded...

My rules for life in the USA (maybe it's different elsewhere):
1) Don't invite "the man" into your life (Once they start sniffing around, even normal activities can be twisted to make you look like a terrorist)
2) Don't collect your own data that "the man" can use against you (Everyday errors can be taken out of context and twisted in a story that may be factually true, but totally wrong about a person)

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2014, 05:26:30 PM »
In past threads, a lot of folks have said GoPros were too clunky for use as a helmet cam.

This_Is_My_Username

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2014, 12:39:43 AM »
but also maybe for evidence as I commute into work.

I have two helmet cameras, one forwards and one backwards, and it is definitely worth it. 

I got hit by a car recently, and the insurance company initially denied the claim.  But the footage ensured that the property damage to the bike was paid for.  And also ensured that my medical costs were paid for. 

It saved me several thousands of dollars. 

Definitely get one.

JDarnell

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2014, 12:50:45 PM »
I purchased a first generation one at a pawn shop for $100.  It works great and I use it a lot on my Harley!

JDARNELL

Mr One Wheel Drive

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2014, 03:39:50 PM »
Thanks for all the feedback - it sounds like it's not a bad idea.

I did find an alternative that sounds like a smart way to go, the TCL SVC 200, as far as I can tell it's like a no-name go-pro with very similar performance, a screen, for a lot cheaper.

http://www.amazon.com/SVC200-Waterproof-Surveillance-FHD1920X1080-Accessories/dp/B00BTWAO0O/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1402419775&sr=8-8&keywords=tlc+action+camera

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!