Author Topic: DIY tooth extraction fr my cat  (Read 52626 times)

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
DIY tooth extraction fr my cat
« on: September 16, 2014, 11:44:40 AM »
OK I know this will infuriate a number of readers but I have to ask.

My 17 year old cat who I love dearly is terrified of being put in a cat carrier and taken for a ride.. She has been to the vets once and the stress it caused was horrible.

Well now she has an infected tooth/teeth. I have been injecting her for 3 days  with penicillin and the swelling is reducing in size and she is a lot more sprightly in herself. Still has some swelling and drooling going on but this is reducing each day.

But of course the root cause is the abscessed tooth... Personally I would rather put her down myself instantly with a well placed shot to the head rather than take her to the vet.. Not to mention the cost of the anesthesia, extractions etc... And believe me the cost is a secondary consideration.

So is there another alternative, wait for the tooth to fall out, abscess to burst etc?

Thanks

Frank

surfhb

Re: DIY tooth extraction fr my cat
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2014, 11:51:54 AM »
You're risking the life, health and well being of your Feline Friend.    Take her to the vet please!!!!

dodojojo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2014, 11:57:51 AM »
Please don't let her suffer with an infected tooth.  The stress of going to the vet will no doubt be terrible, but it can't be worse than living indefinitely with a painful tooth infection.  If she is otherwise healthy, I don't know how you can justify putting her down.

Spray some Feliway in the carrier, give her some Rescue Remedy or theanine or calming treats, etc.

chucklesmcgee

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2014, 11:59:11 AM »
Really, you'd rather kill your cat than put her through an hour of stress? What do you think your cat or you would prefer? Being scared to death or actually dying?

bogart

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2014, 12:09:22 PM »
Depending where you live, absolutely.  There are several vets in my area who will make housecalls.  Some do this only for euthanasia cases, but others have equipped vans/trucks and can provide at least some level of medical care that way -- I'd guess extending to a tooth extraction. 

Random example of a list of such services (no idea where you live):
http://vetdispatch.com/

Costly, sure.  But much less stress for the cat and for you.

shotgunwilly

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2014, 12:10:22 PM »
A 17 year old cat is approaching the age to which if you took her to the vet, they may indeed suggest that euthanasia is the most humane thing to do.  It depends on the overall condition of your cat, obviously.  I understand your dilemma..

Prairie Stash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2014, 12:12:57 PM »
It's doable, if you really want to.  It's not recommended though if you need to ask how. 

Without sedation the cat will hate you. It's better to get someone else to do it so the cat will hate them instead.

Personally I'd wait till the penicillin has run its course and then see if it gets worse/better. Plus it'll be easier to pull without all the swelling, regardless of who's doing it.

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2014, 12:17:58 PM »
Thanks,

At this point I have not ruled out taking her to the vet.. She is responding to the antibiotic and a number of the vet websites say that the vet may even do the antibiotic thing before attempting to remove a tooth anyway..

On the flip side if I take her there and they recommend euthanasia then to be very blunt I would rather take her into the yard with a plate of tuna and apply the 22 caliber slug.  she'll be dead instantly.

it may sound cruel but I think it is about the most humane way out.

Frank

MandyM

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2014, 12:21:57 PM »
As noted above, please check around for a vet making house calls. I'm guessing there is one where you live. In urban areas, they are becoming more popular for house pets. In rural areas they are called in for farm animals and have been the norm forever. And they aren't always more expensive.

(and you deserve a face punch for going with the "don't go to a vet" solution to this years old problem. A better option would have been to slowly build up a tolerance to a carrier. I foster cats and the easiest thing to do is to feed them or give them regular treats in a carrier. Mine practically fight to get in one.)

shotgunwilly

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2014, 12:23:05 PM »
Thanks,

At this point I have not ruled out taking her to the vet.. She is responding to the antibiotic and a number of the vet websites say that the vet may even do the antibiotic thing before attempting to remove a tooth anyway..

On the flip side if I take her there and they recommend euthanasia then to be very blunt I would rather take her into the yard with a plate of tuna and apply the 22 caliber slug.  she'll be dead instantly.

Frank

Not quite sure if you're trolling with the slug comment or not...  But if you're serious, then I agree, IF you have the stomach/heart for it.  I can stomach something like that, but don't think I could do it to a beloved pet.  That's your call.

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2014, 12:28:13 PM »
Nope not trolling, I don't expect it to be a popular position though

dodojojo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2014, 01:02:37 PM »

I'd rather pay for the vet to determine if euthanasia is the best course of action for the cat than to guess if killing my beloved cat is the way to go.  Would I want to put down my cat if an infected tooth was fixable?  It's not like your cat has terminal cancer.

she'll be dead instantly.

Do you think the vet is going to put down your cat inhumanely?

I'm sorry but what comes across from your posts is that you don't want to pay for the vet visit if it turns out euthanasia is recommended.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2014, 01:11:50 PM »
Depending where you live, absolutely.  There are several vets in my area who will make housecalls.  Some do this only for euthanasia cases, but others have equipped vans/trucks and can provide at least some level of medical care that way -- I'd guess extending to a tooth extraction. 

Random example of a list of such services (no idea where you live):
http://vetdispatch.com/

Costly, sure.  But much less stress for the cat and for you.

I'll re-iterate this.   We used a mobile vet for several years and it was a really well done, slick operation.  Animals were much less stressed and really dealt with it well. 

In the end we stopped using her, not because it cost more (and it did) but because we wanted a vet with a brick and mortar office we could go to in emergencies.  Scheduling with the mobile vet was much less flexible.  But it sounds like it might be ideal in this situation.

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2014, 01:12:17 PM »

Frank
Is this method any less humane?  Probably not.  A little more gruesome? To me yes, but I know a lot of farmers that have done the same thing to cows, horses, and cats.

Really, all that comes to mind is the scene from Me, Myself, and Irene. 

Me, Myself, and Irene

frugaliknowit

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2014, 01:18:48 PM »
"She has been to the vets once..."

These are not wild animals.  They are creatures living within your captivity.  If you are too cheap to give an animal basic medical care, then do yourself and everyone a favor:  When this one dies, DO NOT GET ANOTHER!

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
  • So Close went fishing on April 1, 2016
    • Journal
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2014, 01:32:36 PM »
An extraction could solve the problem and pulling a tooth is not rocket science.  Where you will run into problems is with anesthesia.  I doubt you could get what you need over the counter, and an older animal will have less tolerance (think Joan Rivers), necessitating close monitoring of vitals during the procedure.  Although if the cat did pass due to the anesthesia during the procedure, it would likely be painless.  Post op may be a concern as well.  My dog had a canine removed and the vet sutured the gum shut, presumably to keep food out of the wound until it healed. 

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2014, 01:34:21 PM »
Hang on a minute... Basic medical care?.. She has had all her shots and never had any health issues.. I cleaned her teeth etc

I wouldn't call that denying her care.

Timmmy

• Bristles
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2014, 01:49:20 PM »
"She has been to the vets once..."

These are not wild animals.  They are creatures living within your captivity.  If you are too cheap to give an animal basic medical care, then do yourself and everyone a favor:  When this one dies, DO NOT GET ANOTHER!

My adult dogs go to the vet about as frequently as I go to the doctor...  Never...  GASP!!!!  How are my dogs and I surviving?

Flyboy - Start putting treats in the carrier now.  You still may want to take her to the vet at some point.  Your pet so you can choose to do whatever you want.  At 17, dealing with the tooth may be the same as euthanasia.  If it's my cat, she would be making a one way trip to the vets office.  If you're ok with doing it yourself, I don't see the problem. 

MrFrugalChicago

• Bristles
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2014, 02:05:30 PM »

My adult dogs go to the vet about as frequently as I go to the doctor...  Never...  GASP!!!!  How are my dogs and I surviving?

It may work our great for both of you. Or you may have a failing liver or kidney that a routine blood-screen could have picked up, and you will die 20 or 30 years before your time.

I generally think that is your choice to make for yourself. I generally thing it is not your choice to make for children - as they are too young to make their own choices - and all children should get routine medical care. Pets are somewhere in the middle. They can't make their own choices... but they are just pets, not people.

We make very different choices on pets vs people all the time, but it makes people uncomfortable. Person is 600 pounds overweight and has a ton of medical problems, spend millions of dollars on cancer treatment to try and get a year more of life. Pet is totally healthy but requires a $3000 hip replacement - vet would have no problem putting down.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2014, 03:12:23 PM »
Just because the cat needs a tooth extracted does not mean that she needs to be put down. Cats can live to be over 20.   Please, please, please never get another animal if this is the way you choose to do things. 

shotgunwilly

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2014, 03:37:44 PM »
Just because the cat needs a tooth extracted does not mean that she needs to be put down. Cats can live to be over 20.   Please, please, please never get another animal if this is the way you choose to do things.

It's 17, the vet may suggest it be put down anyway. Yes, they can live over 20 but that doesn't mean the vet will suggest the most humane thing to do is let it wither away.  Again, it depends on the overall health of the animal.  But he was suggesting that he would rather take care of ending it's life instead of the vet, IF the vet decided that euthanasia would be best.  And he obviously hasn't neglected this animal, he's been giving it medication for a tooth infection and he cares enough for this animal to have this tough decision.  There's plenty of owners out there that would do nothing for an infected tooth/might not even pay enough attention to the animal to even notice it.

surfhb

« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2014, 03:44:26 PM »
Ahh....a can of tuna and a 22 huh?   Dude.....you're a complete tool!   I'm assuming youre asking because you don't want to spend the money since it will alter your FIRE plans?    This is about the most anti-mushracian thing I can think of.   

« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 03:51:15 PM by surfhb »

shotgunwilly

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2014, 03:57:02 PM »
Ahh....a can of tuna and a 22 huh?   Dude.....you're a complete tool!   I'm assuming youre asking because you don't want to spend the money since it will alter your FIRE plans?    This is about the most anti-mushracian thing I can think of.   

Ugh. *grabs between eyes*

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2014, 04:00:16 PM »
Vets do not suggest putting down animals because they have an infected tooth.  The cat has only been to a vet once in his life.  People like this should not even own a goldfish.   Cats often live to be very old and that is not inhumane.  WTF are you even talking about putting this cat to sleep?

surfhb

« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2014, 04:33:12 PM »

Ugh. *grabs between eyes*

Ok. I apologize for the comment OP.  I'm just shocked that this way of thinking exist in the modern world....especially when it comes to pets.    I love my dog as much as I love anyone of my family members so to hear things like this is rather upsetting.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2014, 04:39:11 PM »
I would like to extract something from the OP with no anesthesia!

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2014, 05:23:25 PM »
Wow I always thought if I got some terminal disease that was going to lead to an early death I would take the same way out.. I'd use a 38 though..:)

I'm kinda surprised at the vitriol this developed and I am sorry if this has offended anyone.

I do think when the end comes, the "taking it to a vet to have it disappear behind closed doors" is more about protecting the owners emotional state rather than providing what is humane for the pet.

Sorry to upset you all but "home dispatch" method (IF, note IF required) seems less stressful to the animal on balance so that would probably be my choice.

It will break my heart to do but I feel its a more responsible approach.. not talking about what to do about the tooth here.

Frank

RyanAtTanagra

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2014, 05:30:39 PM »
This is a great topic.  OP, I understand the concern for the stress involved for a 17 year old cat for questionable benefit.  As others have said, I would look for a vet that makes house calls, let them know you have the swelling under control and just want the tooth pulled.  And as someone mention, if you have to ask, please don't do the extraction yourself.

To those freaking out about a gunshot as a method of euthenasia, it's the quickest and most humane way to put down an animal (if done correctly, big caveat).  It might not be the most humane for you, the owner, but with a distraction like food, the animal doesn't know what's coming, and doesn't feel anything.  If I had the stomach for it I'd do that for our old dog when the time came, as she has fainting/seizure episodes and I think the drugged falling asleep will scare her (not to mention her hating the vet, and being really nervous with strangers in the home), but I don't think I could handle the mess/cleanup with all the other existing emotions going on.

RyanAtTanagra

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2014, 05:33:32 PM »
I do think when the end comes, the "taking it to a vet to have it disappear behind closed doors" is more about protecting the owners emotional state rather than providing what is humane for the pet.

This.  To counter those above, I think anyone that does THIS should never have another animal again.  I can't imagine letting someone take my dog or cat away, terrified, to be killed by a stranger without me there to comfort them in their passing.

shotgunwilly

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2014, 05:42:04 PM »
Vets do not suggest putting down animals because they have an infected tooth.  The cat has only been to a vet once in his life.  People like this should not even own a goldfish.   Cats often live to be very old and that is not inhumane.  WTF are you even talking about putting this cat to sleep?

Not because of an infected tooth, but because of deteriorated condition because of old age, yes they will.  And you're fucking kidding right, about people like this not owning a goldfish? Again, the op has cared for his cat and is still caring for it.  You must be only reading select parts of this thread and making some inhumane crime up in your mind....

There are times when it's more humane to put an animal to sleep. No, not just because of a toothache. 

I would like to extract something from the OP with no anesthesia!

Dumb.

jawisco

• Stubble
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2014, 06:35:32 PM »
I have not read all the posts, but would like to add my experience.

I have a cat who at 5 had a bad tooth.  She was eating her food and you could tell something was wrong, she would stop eating and put her paw to her mouth and kind of shake her head.

I live in the country and took my cat to the country vet.  I told her the symptoms and she handed me a pair of welding gloves and told me to hold down the cat for her.  She opened up the cat's mouth and it was obvious that one tooth was rotten - it was at a strange angle and there was swelling.

She asked if I was okay with her just pulling it.  She said she could put the cat under anesthesia, but she didn't think it was necessary.  I said okay.  She got this tool that looks like forceps - I held the cat  and cat paws down and she opened up the cats mouth with her bare hands with the forceps and got the tooth and gave it a quick pull straight out.  She was good at grabbing the tooth with the tool.  The cat gave a quick cry and the tooth came out easily. 

The vet looked around the mouth and spotted another bad tooth - it wasn't as bad, but it wasn't getting better.  She asked and I said if she thought it was the right thing, it was fine for me.  She grabbed that tooth and pulled and it came out quick as well. 

It was over in about 5 minutes and I had a birds eye view and it isn't rocket science.  It isn't hard and you can do it - I do think you should get someone else to help so you can have your hands free.  Welding gloves were a good idea for the holder.

The cat hasn't held it against either me or the vet - she loves this vet to this day.  Rural vets are also inexpensive - costs were $2 per tooth pulled and $8 for antibiotic to take for 10 days.  - total of $12. 

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2014, 06:57:49 PM »
This is a great topic.  OP, I understand the concern for the stress involved for a 17 year old cat for questionable benefit.  As others have said, I would look for a vet that makes house calls, let them know you have the swelling under control and just want the tooth pulled.  And as someone mention, if you have to ask, please don't do the extraction yourself.

To those freaking out about a gunshot as a method of euthenasia, it's the quickest and most humane way to put down an animal (if done correctly, big caveat).  It might not be the most humane for you, the owner, but with a distraction like food, the animal doesn't know what's coming, and doesn't feel anything.  If I had the stomach for it I'd do that for our old dog when the time came, as she has fainting/seizure episodes and I think the drugged falling asleep will scare her (not to mention her hating the vet, and being really nervous with strangers in the home), but I don't think I could handle the mess/cleanup with all the other existing emotions going on.
I've administered ketamine, which is how cats are put to sleep, I also have had it administered to me as a sedative.  Shooting your cat is not more humane and I hope that you are a troll because you are disgusting me.  Ketamine lets you fall asleep quite peacefully, in a way a gun shoot never will.  If you disagree, go try it on yourself.

Greg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2014, 08:22:46 PM »
I live in the country where the .22 is a common way of dealing with old or sick animals, and for harvesting animals for food etc.

We had a cat who had a very bad cut on its leg and debated the idea of a vet visit.  The cut eventually healed. 

I think it's important to realize the O.P. has provided a good long life for his/her cat.  In the same situation, I would probably opt for a consult at a minimum, but even that can be very expensive.  We experienced this when one of our cats developed a bladder infection.  One line of treatment included overnight observation and $$$, the other some antibiotics, special food and $$.  We opted for the latter.

If you have a problem with shooting a sick or injured animal, don't eat beef.  Sometimes cows aren't even adequately stunned (poked in the brain) before slaughter.  I'm 100% sure the O.P. would be a careful shot in this case if it came to that.

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2014, 08:35:08 PM »
I live in the country where the .22 is a common way of dealing with old or sick animals, and for harvesting animals for food etc.

We had a cat who had a very bad cut on its leg and debated the idea of a vet visit.  The cut eventually healed. 

I think it's important to realize the O.P. has provided a good long life for his/her cat.  In the same situation, I would probably opt for a consult at a minimum, but even that can be very expensive.  We experienced this when one of our cats developed a bladder infection.  One line of treatment included overnight observation and $$$, the other some antibiotics, special food and $$.  We opted for the latter.

If you have a problem with shooting a sick or injured animal, don't eat beef.  Sometimes cows aren't even adequately stunned (poked in the brain) before slaughter.  I'm 100% sure the O.P. would be a careful shot in this case if it came to that.
Even those who do this on a regular basis miss.  It is not a humane way of killing an animal AT ALL.  A simple ketamine injection is not expensive, I doubt anyone on here would be unable to afford it.  If you make the choice to shoot an animal instead of treat it humanely, you are a horrid human being.  Don't get an animal if you don't plan to care for it, and that includes end of life care.  This cat was lucky he or she did not have medical issues, but not all animals are that lucky.  Anyone who is not willing to get their animals basic medical care should not have an animal.

MBot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2014, 08:42:50 PM »
I have not read all the posts, but would like to add my experience.

I have a cat who at 5 had a bad tooth.  She was eating her food and you could tell something was wrong, she would stop eating and put her paw to her mouth and kind of shake her head.

I live in the country and took my cat to the country vet.  I told her the symptoms and she handed me a pair of welding gloves and told me to hold down the cat for her.  She opened up the cat's mouth and it was obvious that one tooth was rotten - it was at a strange angle and there was swelling.

She asked if I was okay with her just pulling it.  She said she could put the cat under anesthesia, but she didn't think it was necessary.  I said okay.  She got this tool that looks like forceps - I held the cat  and cat paws down and she opened up the cats mouth with her bare hands with the forceps and got the tooth and gave it a quick pull straight out.  She was good at grabbing the tooth with the tool.  The cat gave a quick cry and the tooth came out easily. 

The vet looked around the mouth and spotted another bad tooth - it wasn't as bad, but it wasn't getting better.  She asked and I said if she thought it was the right thing, it was fine for me.  She grabbed that tooth and pulled and it came out quick as well. 

It was over in about 5 minutes and I had a birds eye view and it isn't rocket science.  It isn't hard and you can do it - I do think you should get someone else to help so you can have your hands free.  Welding gloves were a good idea for the holder.

The cat hasn't held it against either me or the vet - she loves this vet to this day.  Rural vets are also inexpensive - costs were $2 per tooth pulled and $8 for antibiotic to take for 10 days.  - total of $12.

+1

Thanks for answering the actual question instead of hypothesizing about the owner's suitability as an animal owner.

That said, even with the travel trauma, it is still slightly more humane to take her to the vet and get the vet to take out the tooth - with painkillers first . Even if the vet recommends euthanasia, they can't stop you from asking to fix the tooth and you'll see what happens.

chicagomeg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2014, 08:46:58 PM »

Even those who do this on a regular basis miss.  It is not a humane way of killing an animal AT ALL.  A simple ketamine injection is not expensive, I doubt anyone on here would be unable to afford it.  If you make the choice to shoot an animal instead of treat it humanely, you are a horrid human being.  Don't get an animal if you don't plan to care for it, and that includes end of life care.  This cat was lucky he or she did not have medical issues, but not all animals are that lucky.  Anyone who is not willing to get their animals basic medical care should not have an animal.

In what way has OP shown he's unwilling to provide basic medical care? Cat is up to date on shots & has lived to 17 years old. Now, he's trying to take care of the cat's abcessed tooth; first by giving it antibiotics at home, then coming here for further input on how to take care of the cat's tooth. Like PP said above, none of this is rocket science. It costs me almost $150 every time I walk in the door at my vet. My dog has a yeast infection & I'm doing everything I can to treat at home before taking her to the vet, just like I would if it were me. The gunshot is a little gruesome to me and I don't really understand what it has to do with the tooth, but I also think it's unfair to say OP doesn't care about his pet.

aspiringnomad

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2014, 09:38:12 PM »
Hmm...Don't know if you've bonded with the cat, but I recently had to put down a cat and it was like putting down a good friend (I know some non-pet owners find this crazy - I probably would have once). It may not hit you until after, but if you have bonded I'll bet you'll feel similarly and would hope that you've done what you could to help it live or die with dignity. Euthanasia is not at all expensive relative to other veterinary costs. If the vet does not recommend euthanasia and instead just pulls the tooth humanely, then think of all the happy days and delicious tuna that cat will enjoy until it's actually time to say goodbye. If the vet does recommend euthanasia, many (including mine) will let you be in the room and even pet her as she drifts off. I was glad to see him off and trust that he was in capable hands as he died.

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2014, 10:04:10 PM »

Even those who do this on a regular basis miss.  It is not a humane way of killing an animal AT ALL.  A simple ketamine injection is not expensive, I doubt anyone on here would be unable to afford it. If you make the choice to shoot an animal instead of treat it humanely, you are a horrid human being.  Don't get an animal if you don't plan to care for it, and that includes end of life care.  This cat was lucky he or she did not have medical issues, but not all animals are that lucky.  Anyone who is not willing to get their animals basic medical care should not have an animal.

You are joking, right? I spent a week walking round my family farm at 14 years old shooting sheep who had been caught in the Ash Wednesday bushfires. They all needed putting down. I did it with a gun, because it was the only humane way. There were several hundred, and it had to be done quickly because they were suffering. Injecting them "humanely" would have caused far more suffering. 

Don't comment on things you have absolutely no clue about. I am not a horrid human being. I have no tolerance for people who spout off shit like that without knowing what they are talking about.

OP cares for his cat, that much is obvious. Like someone above said, I've seen vets pull teeth without anaesthetic, because the act of administering the anaesthetic and the recovery period when they come out cause far more trauma than a quick tooth pull. I definitely wouldn't do it without help (someone holding the poor bugger down!), but what he's asking is definitely not out of the question.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 10:05:47 PM by Primm »

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2014, 10:11:47 PM »
Sorry ex flyboy that your cat is unwell. I felt similar thoughts when my cat was sick and too nervous and anxiety ridden to live a normal life. I thought he would be better off if he was out of the world rather than stressed in his everyday life. It was painful to watch.
The concern I have with the 22 method is what if something foes wrong. Cats brains are teeny tiny little things. What if you miss it and hit something else, then the cat runs and you've inflicted more suffering and now can't do anything about it? 

I had another cat that was also terrified of the vet and carriers. My solution was to wear a big sweatshirt and just put the cat in the sweatshirt with me.  She'd get nervous, and if she really wanted to, she could have crawled out of the neck, but she was quite comfy there and it seemed to soothe her. Once we got into the vet waiting room, she'd hear the other animals and smell the scents and she wouldn't move a muscle. She was like a rock in that sweatshirt and I'd just cradle that little lump and press her against my body.  Then when we got into the exam room I'd lift up the shirt and she felt safe enough to be curious.  It worked for us. Why don't you give that a try? 

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2014, 10:33:26 PM »
I never drop off a animal when it is time to say goodbye.  I stay with the baby as it simply falls to sleep and the last voice & touch it feels is mine. Many of our animals have needed dentals & they had anesthesia and were comfortable. Sorry but the OP is really mentally sick.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #40 on: September 17, 2014, 12:18:31 AM »

This.  To counter those above, I think anyone that does THIS should never have another animal again.  I can't imagine letting someone take my dog or cat away, terrified, to be killed by a stranger without me there to comfort them in their passing.

Wait. There are vets who wil do this behind closed doors without the people there with the pet? Dear God. In that case, a 22 at home is much better for the pet, if not for the poor owner.

Don't let the comments from those who aren't in your position get to you, Frank. See what the antibiotic does. See about a house call; you really don't want kitty blaming you for an extraction, and anyway you want all the swelling gone first. Is the tooth all that's going one?

The sweatshirt idea might be a good one, but laceration could also ensue.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 12:27:31 AM by Rural »

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2014, 04:47:40 AM »
Forgot to mention, when it was finally time to say goodbye to kitty with renal failure, vet came to home and it was difficult but peaceful. You don't drop your animals off at the door unless you can't stand to be there with them. And if youre an anxious mess, then please don't pass that on the pet. They know when you're upset.  Have your last moments be gentle and peaceful.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2014, 05:13:55 AM »
I have never heard of a vet who would euthanize behind closed doors - all my pets have been cuddled by a family member while the shot was given.  We have used euthanol, not ketamine, very easy on the animal.

OP's method would also work (euthanasia = fast, painless death) but needs skill.  I would prefer to cuddle my pet, but cat+tuna is OK too.

Really though, 17 is not really old if the cat is healthy.  Think a healthy 75-80 year old person.  Cats loose teeth - the first time my cat had her teeth cleaned (horrible breath) she ended up losing 4 small teeth.  Good breath, happy cat.

Neustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #43 on: September 17, 2014, 05:22:42 AM »
I don't think Frank is much phased by other's opinions, but if he is, just wanted to chime in here that I get the .22 thing - and as far as missing, well, if my hubby can pick off a squirrel (with a much, much smaller head) from 10 yards away at an odd angle, surely Frank can make a shot from point blank range.  I don't have anything to say on the extraction end, but good luck with it if you try to DIY!

RichLife

« Reply #44 on: September 17, 2014, 05:48:20 AM »
Please take your cat to the vet instantly and pay whatever money it costs like a responsible pet owner. No amount of money saved is worth it not giving your pet the best care they deserve. If you really mind then please simply do not get a pet in future. Do you really think that being FIRE sooner is worth it? I would caution you against the fact that you may someday regret your actions and that will stay with you for your entire life and no amount of money will fix that. Also, fwiw, I've had to let my one of my first cats go after only a year due to kidney failure. It was heartbreaking but in retrospect I am glad I was there with him and saw him gently doze off as if going to sleep. He was relaxed and while I can still shed a few tears over the memory I take solace in the fact that the end of his suffering was at least peaceful and with dignity.

shotgunwilly

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #45 on: September 17, 2014, 07:21:36 AM »
I never drop off a animal when it is time to say goodbye.  I stay with the baby as it simply falls to sleep and the last voice & touch it feels is mine. Many of our animals have needed dentals & they had anesthesia and were comfortable. Sorry but the OP is really mentally sick.

I'm pretty sure it's you who are out of your mind.

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #46 on: September 17, 2014, 07:26:34 AM »
I think alot of this boils down to country/farmer vs city folk.  They grow up learning different values for what animals are.  That doesn't mean they don't care about them.  But when a cow tries to jump over a fence, nearly get severed in half, gets stuck and dies, how do you get it off?  Chainsaw.  If you have 200 barn cats because you let them get out of control, how to do you handle it? .22.

I'm pretty sure it's you who are out of your mind.

Politics, religion, and pets.

What is the best way to stir up internet message boards?

(Although the recent religion thread has been unusually respectful)
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 07:33:08 AM by Cromacster »

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #47 on: September 17, 2014, 07:49:34 AM »
MOD NOTE: Not gonna call out anyone in particular, but the personal attacks can stop now please. No matter how strongly you hold your opinion, I'm sure it's possible to share it without insulting OP or others.

shotgunwilly

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #48 on: September 17, 2014, 07:58:22 AM »

Politics, religion, and pets.

What is the best way to stir up internet message boards?

(Although the recent religion thread has been unusually respectful)

Yea, saw this coming the instant I read the OP. (I think he did too.)  IMO there are things that you just don't bother to put on a message board.

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #49 on: September 17, 2014, 08:03:19 AM »
Tooth extraction for a cat is not that expensive, and even if the cat is 17 it shouldn't be that traumatic.  I also seriously doubt a vet would offer euthansia for an infected tooth.  So the cat doesn't like the carrier.  That's called "being a cat."  When we take our cats in for shots, it sounds like the Voyage of the Damned on the way over because all of them are yelling GAAAH THIS SUCKS I HATE THIS THING! in feline.   If you have pets, there will be times that you have to spend money on them.  We did have an eleven-year-old cat put down when we found he had liver cancer because the treatment would have been incredibly expensive and the vet told us it would only extend his life by a few months.  And yes, we were accused of being cheap because of it.  If the treatments would have brought him back to full health and given him years?  We would have gladly paid.