Author Topic: DIY home options (or alternatives to standard "buy home" living)?  (Read 2556 times)

ender

• Walrus Stache
My wife and I spent far too much of today looking up DIY log cabins. It turns out there are actually a lot of people interested in this sort of thing and it appears to be reasonably cost effective (lots of time required, though it seems totally doable).

It seems like Mustachian's would be a great audience to ask about this sort of thing.

What alternative housing options are out there? Is it remotely feasible to DIY a home?

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
Re: DIY home options (or alternatives to standard "buy home" living)?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2015, 07:22:34 PM »
Yes, it's possible to DIY a home.  Having a second person will more than double your speed, though.  It's a lot of work.

In fact, it's on my bucket list when I retire--build our perfectly-designed retirement home on the perfect lot in the perfect, low-tax state...

As far as "alternatives to buying a home", there are plenty.  Travel and live in an RV.  Cruises.  Log cabins.  Move in with kids.  Homes built with double walls for extra insulation, or SIP, or ICF.  There's someone in the DIY category who is finishing a 2-car garage into a full home for their family.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 07:59:05 PM by zolotiyeruki »

shuffler

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2015, 07:25:48 PM »
I haven't done it myself, but I've been attracted to Insulated Concrete Forms (ICF) rather than logs.

Retired To Win

• Handlebar Stache
  • making the most of my time and my money
    • Retired To Win
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2015, 09:02:23 PM »
And there's more.  Houses built out of adobe.  Houses built out of straw bales (for true).  Geodesic dome home kits.  Remodeled cargo shipping containers (also for true; single or multiple style).  Houses built out of turf "bricks."

Google away and you will find suppliers and plans for any of the above.

Have fun!

Cornelia

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2015, 06:46:03 AM »
Look up shelter-kit on google, they have some pretty neat diy homes/cabins. Super fast to erect as well.

Single story , loadbearing strawbale is very diy, DH and I are going to build a 2 story post and beam strawbale on our future homestead, but we'd rather have the professionals handle it 😊