Author Topic: DIY Carpet deep cleaning and impact on warranty  (Read 2841 times)

jamesbond007

• Pencil Stache
  • One penny at a time.
DIY Carpet deep cleaning and impact on warranty
« on: November 28, 2016, 10:47:47 AM »
Hello all,

We are planning to change our carpet and at Home depot found a good one that we like. It comes with a "premium" 20 year warranty for pet stains and normal stains. But the catch is that they say we have to save receipts of all carpet cleanings the we get done by a "professional". If not, the warranty is void. So did anyone has any experience with this? Yearly professional cleaning costs $$$ and I can buy a carpet deep cleaner from Amazon for $80 (Pays for itself in 3 rentals). Is it worth getting this vs potentially voiding the warranty?

Thanks.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
Re: DIY Carpet deep cleaning and impact on warranty
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2016, 10:57:09 AM »
My guess is that the warranty wouldn't cover installation, so it's probably more of a feel-good warranty than something that would actually help you down the road.

Drifterrider

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2016, 11:31:54 AM »
Hello all,

We are planning to change our carpet and at Home depot found a good one that we like. It comes with a "premium" 20 year warranty for pet stains and normal stains. But the catch is that they say we have to save receipts of all carpet cleanings the we get done by a "professional". If not, the warranty is void. So did anyone has any experience with this? Yearly professional cleaning costs $$$ and I can buy a carpet deep cleaner from Amazon for $80 (Pays for itself in 3 rentals). Is it worth getting this vs potentially voiding the warranty?

So, if you hire anyone, keep the receipts.

If you are in the US, doing work yourself never voids a warranty.  There is a Supreme Court case about this.  I don't remember the names.

Using the wrong cleaner or technique may void a warranty.  The devil is in the details.  Read ALL the printed information before making a decision.

Thanks.

jamesbond007

• Pencil Stache
  • One penny at a time.
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2016, 11:40:45 AM »
So I guess I should be ok doing my own deep cleaning every 6 months or so?

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2016, 12:45:51 PM »
I would assume the warranty is useless, and never plan to collect on it, as much of the cost is in the labor, and they will depreciate the carpet.

We had a claim on roof shingles that failed before the warranty.  We likely only got the claim at all because my husband works in the industry and was able to claim the exact right things.  Even so, they failed after something like 15 years of a 20 year shingle, so same time frame as your carpet warranty.  We got 300$.  Compare that to the price of a new roof.  LOL thanks!  They don't count labor, or underlayment, or anything except the actual % of roof ruined, prorated to 25% of the original shingle cost. 

You aren't ever going to see that warranty money, in other words, so clean your carpets however you want to.

jamesbond007

• Pencil Stache
  • One penny at a time.
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2016, 10:23:52 AM »
Great. Thanks for the suggestions.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2016, 09:01:07 AM »
Your best bet may be to reduce the amount of deep cleaning needed. Frequent vacuuming, not wearing shoes inside, promptly cleaning up spills, not allowing meals/snacks anywhere but at the table, etc will really help prevent the carpet from getting dirty. Food spills really do a number on the carpets, and kids are great at spilling/dropping/throwing food.

I typically clean the carpet annually, but skipped it this summer because my roommate was jobless. In retrospect, she doesn't seem to have any sense of urgency about not spending money, so I probably should've just gotten it cleaned. But it isn't bad at all. Like, if you walked in, you wouldn't know it hadn't been cleaned since summer 2015. And I have 2 cats who do things like bring in rodents/bugs, spread litter and fur all over, throw up wherever I don't want them to, etc.