Author Topic: Disney World Travel Hacking Advice Sought  (Read 1932 times)

AK

• Stubble
Disney World Travel Hacking Advice Sought
« on: June 21, 2017, 10:56:28 AM »
Hey Fellow Mustachians.

My better half runs the Disney World Goofy race every year and I've did some light research on travel hacking. It seems that much of the travel hacking revolves around credit card sign-up bonuses and other reward programs. Our next trip is in January for 4-5 days and we plan on flying with Southwest since they have a direct flight while other airlines don't.

We will have probably 3-4K in expenses that can be put on a credit card(s) in the next few months and to pay off in full. I'd like to avoid manufactured spending at this time. What Disney World travel hacking advice do you have?

Thanks,
AK

catccc

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Disney World Travel Hacking Advice Sought
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2017, 11:14:26 AM »
I think the southwest companion deal would work for you.  One of you, either you or hour partner, needs to sign up for 2 southwest cards that will net bonus & accumulated points totaling 110K points.  Then you can use the points to get one ticket and the companion pass to get the other for free.  I think min. spend on these cards is maybe 2K per card, so you should be able to get close with your 3-4K in spend.

If you will be handing $$ over to Disney resorts for the trip or park tickets, look into a disney vacation account.  It doesn't yield any interest, but for every $1K you spend on your trip, you'll get a $20 gift card.  You need to establish the account x months before you can get the bonus, so look into details...  Yes, $20 is not a huge bonus, but a 2% bonus is more than what most savings accounts yield.  Another advantage is accelerating spend to meet bonus requirements.  You can "contribute" to the DVA using a credit card.  DH and I used the DVA to help meet minimum spend requirements on a couple of cards late last year, but we don't plan on taking the family until early 2018.  And you can always get your $ back if you decide not to use the DVA funds for a disney vacation.  says the terms and conditions.  I haven't tried it, since we actually plan on going.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!