Author Topic: Dishwasher - Yay or Nay?  (Read 13461 times)

JanF

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Dishwasher - Yay or Nay?
« Reply #50 on: January 07, 2018, 05:03:46 PM »
can I throw the pet bowls in with my stuff?  If so, that would be awesome!

I do! DW uses hot sanitizing water so I'm ok with throwing that stuff in there.

frugaliknowit

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #51 on: January 08, 2018, 11:04:44 AM »
Yay or Nay depends on your priorities.  If you value your time and/or do not enjoy the increased clutter that comes with a dish drying rack on your counter, then it's Yay!

It does not save a LOT of time, but it does save considerable time (for a 1 person household).  When my DW was on the fritz, I would do a large washing every evening, M-F.  This took about 15 minutes.  On weekends, I would do 2-3 washings a day, more like 30-45 minutes per day.

Keep in mind:  You need to perform regular maintenance.  The filter needs cleaning every couple of weeks (5 minute task).  The spray arms need to be cleaned maybe twice per year and might need replacing after several years.  You will have repairs.  Where I live it's ~$160 minimum for someone to walk in the door to work on it.  After 5 years, I paid for 1 repair (~$200) and bought a new filter and upper spray arm (~$75).

Why are you saying you cannot run the machine in the evening?

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
Dishwasher - Yay or Nay?
« Reply #52 on: January 08, 2018, 11:30:17 AM »
I still have a dish drainer on my countertop because some things shouldn't be washed in DW and then sometimes the DW is full of clean stuff and just not in the mood to empty it so I hand wash. My DW has no filter to clean and never cleaned the spray arms either. I just fill the Liquid rinse aid up now and then and put in a new wash tab each time. I also add a tablespoon of Borax to the wash because I have hard water and the Borax make everything crystal clean.

ooeei

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #53 on: January 08, 2018, 12:29:23 PM »
We go visit my girlfriend's family regularly and they hate to use the dishwasher, I hate it. They use it purely as storage. Every time I get a glass of water or a snack, gotta wash/dry a dish. At home we do a quick rinse and toss stuff in the dishwasher, and run it when it's full. Obviously you'll need more dishes this way, but the extra cost of having 10 plates vs 2 is well worth it to me.

In a small household where it's just you two it might not be a big deal, but I'm very pro dishwasher.  Also consider the effect on resale value of the home someday. You may not care about having a dishwasher, but the next owner likely will.

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #54 on: January 08, 2018, 05:22:01 PM »
I spent 3 years washing dishes for the 2 of us in an apartment with no DW. Last fall we got a small countertop unit secondhand for $90 (actually sits next to one of our counters on a little thrifted side table). There's still a lot to wash by hand in our case...large pots/bowls/cookware, wooden utensils and cutting boards, knives...But not having to wipe every inch of every plate to get grease/residue off, or scrub every fork's tines, saves me a surprising amount of time and energy. And that results in greater motivation to take care of it. So: I think as far as getting dishes done, I say it definitely helps; and I happen to believe that from an environmental standpoint it saves water/energy (even if it's *possible* to wash by hand with less water/less hot water, I know I don't, because I always do a running-water rinse or I don't feel my dishes are clean).

As for what this would be worth, I would totally think it's worth a couple hundred (cost of a dishwasher) over the course of years of living in a place. Unfortunately, around here, rentals with DW go for 400-500 more *per month* than places without; I don't think I'd go that far. I would, however, get a countertop or roll-away one sooner if I was in a similar situation again.

Oh, and my parents' DW has racks built to support/accept wine glasses and I think humans have broken more glasses than the machine in the time they've lived there. Obviously, loaded intelligently so a heavy bowl can't become dislodged and whack the fragile glasses. Other aspects of the machine are awkward and they've had complaints about its functionality, so I can't recommend it, but I'm sure it's not the only one out there with a glassware rack!

wildbeast

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #55 on: January 08, 2018, 06:11:51 PM »
I've decided to go ahead and get one.  I'm intimidated at the thought of actually shopping for one.  Since I do cook a lot from scratch and do lots of batch cooking, I think a regular full-size one would probably work best.  I'm worried that the drawers or a slim size might not be able to fit in all the big bowls and pots and pans that we use regularly.  But, I haven't actually gone out and started looking at the units to see how they work and how big they are.  I might be pleasantly surprised. 

This purchase is part of a kitchen remodel and you guys have been so helpful I might do a thread for that.  I stress quite a bit about spending money and kitchen remodels are expensive, that's for sure.  And there's so many things to decide on: lighting, flooring, cabinets, sinks, countertops, furniture, paint....

A great big THANKS! to everyone for your generous feedback. 

Next... we tackle lighting!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 06:17:22 PM by jane x »

Papa bear

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #56 on: January 08, 2018, 08:21:20 PM »
I've decided to go ahead and get one.  I'm intimidated at the thought of actually shopping for one.  Since I do cook a lot from scratch and do lots of batch cooking, I think a regular full-size one would probably work best.  I'm worried that the drawers or a slim size might not be able to fit in all the big bowls and pots and pans that we use regularly.  But, I haven't actually gone out and started looking at the units to see how they work and how big they are.  I might be pleasantly surprised. 

This purchase is part of a kitchen remodel and you guys have been so helpful I might do a thread for that.  I stress quite a bit about spending money and kitchen remodels are expensive, that's for sure.  And there's so many things to decide on: lighting, flooring, cabinets, sinks, countertops, furniture, paint....

There are a lot of rehabbers, contractors, and heavy DIYers on the forums. Don't hesitate to start a dedicated thread for all your kitchen questions. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #57 on: January 08, 2018, 10:47:07 PM »

jane x, our current house came with a KitchenAid DW. A feature that I have come to love is that the upper rack can be adjusted. Sometimes things are just too tall for the upper rack (such as some wineglasses), and it's awesome to be able to move it.

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #58 on: January 09, 2018, 01:58:39 AM »

I'm doing a kitchen reno soon. Please let me know if you start another thread!

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #59 on: January 09, 2018, 05:47:38 AM »
I can't adjust the height of my top rack, but I can remove it, which is great for cleaning my furnace filters!  Also, make sure there is a washer arm under the top rack, not just the bottom rack.  Not sure if any new washers don't have that top arm, but it gets the dishes so much cleaner with it.  One of my coworkers has one without that top arm, and they hate it.  Other than that, I have no clue.

MudDuck

• Stubble
« Reply #60 on: January 09, 2018, 06:39:28 AM »

Also, if the DW dies, is it easy enough to replace without disturbing the countertop?  I'm going to splurge and put in some quartz.  I've always had formica and never had to worry about messing up a fancy countertop but lot of the units I see online say "built-in" and it makes me wonder.

Often, replacing a dishwasher is a problem not because of the countertop, but because of the floor underneath the dishwasher. Often, tile (or whatever) is installed in front of the dishwasher rather than underneath it to save money. This places the appliance 1/2" or more below the level of the floor in front of it, which makes impossible to slide the dishwasher out of its space. It's then necessary to lift up the counter in order to get the dishwasher out. A quartz top will be heavy and difficult to move, and depending on the size of the piece, may crack if lifted unevenly. So go for the dishwasher and the quartz, but keep an eye on the installation.

TL;DR answer: pay attention to the thickness of the floor in relation to the space above the dishwasher, or if you're replacing the flooring, spring for tiles underneath the entire kitchen.

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #61 on: January 09, 2018, 07:14:30 AM »
Having recently dealt with one terrible dishwasher and one mediocre one, I highly recommend ready consumer reports.

We will be replacing ours with a Bosch when it dies.

I think most/all have the top sprayer now,and the adjustable top rack. It is very handy. The top sprayer does get them much cleaner.

The most amazing thing about new dishwashers is they are dear silent. We can hardly tell ours is running.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #62 on: January 09, 2018, 09:04:24 AM »
I've never had a dishwasher, never minded. I saw it as a need not a want. Now that I am a single Mom, and responsible for every single thing, what used to be an enjoyable mindless chore (dishwashing) now feel like I'm stuck in an endless loop of cooking or washing the dishes. when I redo the kitchen (who knows when) I'm going to make space for a dishwasher.
I've taught my kids to wash dishes, but they only do it under duress and under specific orders. However I think they can learn to scrape/ load dishes into a dishwasher as part of a routine, which would help immensely! Plus my sink/countertop will look less messy.

Acastus

• Bristles
« Reply #63 on: January 09, 2018, 10:54:27 AM »
A dishwasher is a nice, affordable luxury. Get one. If nothing else, it is a great place to keep the dirty dishes and clear off some counter / sink space. If you plan to sell the house, a dishwasher is expected. Not having one will reduce the appeal.

wildbeast

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #64 on: January 09, 2018, 11:15:36 AM »

Also, if the DW dies, is it easy enough to replace without disturbing the countertop?  I'm going to splurge and put in some quartz.  I've always had formica and never had to worry about messing up a fancy countertop but lot of the units I see online say "built-in" and it makes me wonder.

Often, replacing a dishwasher is a problem not because of the countertop, but because of the floor underneath the dishwasher. Often, tile (or whatever) is installed in front of the dishwasher rather than underneath it to save money. This places the appliance 1/2" or more below the level of the floor in front of it, which makes impossible to slide the dishwasher out of its space. It's then necessary to lift up the counter in order to get the dishwasher out. A quartz top will be heavy and difficult to move, and depending on the size of the piece, may crack if lifted unevenly. So go for the dishwasher and the quartz, but keep an eye on the installation.

TL;DR answer: pay attention to the thickness of the floor in relation to the space above the dishwasher, or if you're replacing the flooring, spring for tiles underneath the entire kitchen.

This is good to know.  I've been wondering about which would be better to protect against possible water damage.  But since no one has mentioned water damage, the chances of me replacing the unit in the future is much higher than the possibility of water damage.  We're going to be putting in all new floor so I'll just do the whole kitchen.

wildbeast

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #65 on: January 09, 2018, 11:30:49 AM »
Thanks for the tips about the racks, arms and sprayers!  That's the kind of stuff I wouldn't even think about. 

I see that KitchenAid and Bosch are the brands that have been recommended a couple of times so I'll start with those when I begin my search.

And what about the door finish?  I recently bought a stainless steel fridge and have been dismayed at how dirty it looks most of the time unless I clean it (with actual soap) on a regular basis.  Do you guys have the same issue with the ss DW? 
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 11:43:49 AM by jane x »

mstache67

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #66 on: January 09, 2018, 11:55:26 AM »
I would definitely put in the dishwasher!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

meghan88

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #67 on: January 09, 2018, 12:07:54 PM »
We try to minimize the dirty dishes/pots/utensils when we cook.  So many recipes call for extra steps in different pans/bowls etc. and we streamline and cut corners wherever possible during prep.  We also make a lot of one-pot meals, which means one pot + 1 cutting board + 2 bowls or plates and two forks.  And a knife and a wooden spoon.

We've had a dishwasher for years and rarely use it.  We try to use it once every month or two to keep the seals from drying out.  It's useful after a dinner party and that's about it.

For two people, I don't see the need - but it is good for home resale.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #68 on: January 09, 2018, 12:19:48 PM »
As a couple living alone with no kids, we have no dishwasher and it's completely fine.

When we lived in a rental with two other roommates (at one point *five* other roommates), it would have been madness to not have one.  I'm glad we had one there.  So I'd say yes if you have a large household.

Mikila

• Stubble
« Reply #69 on: January 09, 2018, 07:04:12 PM »
Nah.  Our new house has one but I don't see the value.  We have to "rinse" everything anyway and by that time you've used most of the water you would use just to wash the dish.  Many of our pans are cast iron/ have wooden handles/etc and can't go in the dishwasher anyway.  There's also the problem of running out of bowls before everything else and then opening up the dishwasher and  pulling out an encrusted one....

wildbeast

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #70 on: January 11, 2018, 03:32:56 PM »
I browsed online and the KitchenAid is very expensive!  Even higher than the Bosch.  So that one is off the list for me.

Does anyone have experience with some of the newer models from LG, GE or Whirlpool?  I was at Costco today and the LG looked pretty good.  The trays look very sturdy and you can pull out the top one without having to drop the door all the way to the floor.

englishteacheralex

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #71 on: January 11, 2018, 03:36:00 PM »
We just got a GE for $450 and it's been working great. We've had it less than a month, though, so who knows? So far, we love it.

wildbeast

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #72 on: January 11, 2018, 03:48:25 PM »
We just got a GE for $450 and it's been working great. We've had it less than a month, though, so who knows? So far, we love it.

Cool!  I'll check out the GE next.  Both Sears and JCPenney have them close to my house.  Interesting that JCP has gotten into the appliance game. 

Oh, in case anyone is shopping for appliances right now, I saw that Costco extends the mfg warranty by 2 yrs and if you pay with the Costco Visa you get an additional 2 yrs: https://www.costco.com/concierge-two-plus-two-warranty.html?langId=-1

They only had LG and Whirlpool on display, but they also sell GE.  And Samsung, though my experience with a Samsung fridge makes me delete them from consideration.

englishteacheralex

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #73 on: January 11, 2018, 05:53:40 PM »
We couldn't find anything cheap enough at Costco (Hawaii Costco doesn't always have the same selection). Everything was too high end for our taste. Most credit cards will extend the manufacturer's warranty by an additional year. So that usually equates to two years (one year from the manufacturer, and one year from the credit card you bought it with).

Not as sweet as four years, that's for sure.

Funny story about Samsung: the condo we bought came with a stackable Samsung washer/dryer. The washer went out but the dryer was still good, so we went with a Samsung washer to keep the set going.

When they delivered it, the guys installed it and turned around and said, "Did you guys get the extended warranty? What? You didn't? Should've! Samsungs SUCK!"

We shook our heads. Um, we just bought that from you?

Extended warranty on a $500 washing machine? The 5-year warranty was half the price of the appliance. Seemed dumb.

sea_saw

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #74 on: January 12, 2018, 03:02:28 AM »
Since this is a MMM forum... I'm going to put in a plug for 'check out craigslist/facebook marketplace/etc'. Obviously it's more active in some areas than others, the ideal is a high density area with lots of movement of people in and out, but you never know your luck.

I got a £330 dishwasher for £130, sparklingly clean and well maintained, you wouldn't know it had previously been used at all. (Bosch, if you care). I've been blowing it kisses since.

It's more faff than just ordering from a shop but a bit of effort can pay off :)

wildbeast

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #75 on: January 12, 2018, 05:54:59 PM »

Funny story about Samsung: the condo we bought came with a stackable Samsung washer/dryer. The washer went out but the dryer was still good, so we went with a Samsung washer to keep the set going.

When they delivered it, the guys installed it and turned around and said, "Did you guys get the extended warranty? What? You didn't? Should've! Samsungs SUCK!"

Lol!  I had to have my fridge replaced a week after it was installed because it was malfunctioning.  The replacement install guy said, "This fridge looks very nice, but if the new one breaks down, you should get something else."  I think that was his polite way of saying what your guys said, although I didn't know it at the time. 

The replacement has started to grow mold on the seals of the refrigerator section.  I've never had that happen before.  And the freezer part is starting to form thin layers of ice on the pull out bin.  We've had the unit for less than 6 months.  I'm wondering if I can get Sears to take it back or if I have to deal with the mfg for these minor things than can become major with time.

wildbeast

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #76 on: March 06, 2018, 12:53:50 PM »
I've started a kitchen remodel thread over in the DIY section! https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/do-it-yourself-forum!/the-kitchen-thread/#new

Would love to get feedback from you guys.  Since we already discussed DWs here and I'm getting one, the first item for discussion is SINKS.  Come over and help me choose one!  :)