Author Topic: Dishwasher - Yay or Nay?  (Read 13460 times)

wildbeast

• Pencil Stache
Dishwasher - Yay or Nay?
« on: January 05, 2018, 07:57:47 PM »
We'll be doing a kitchen remodel and I'm wondering if I should add a dishwasher.  We don't have one now and for the most part I haven't missed it, except that lately I'm getting tired of looking at the dish drainer full of dishes, pots and pans most of the day.  And washing dishes three times a day is also getting old.  We cook from scratch and eat most meals at home.  There's just two of us so we'd be able to just run it at night after dinner.

If you could afford to add it, would you? 

Has owning one improved your life considerably?

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
Re: Dishwasher - Yay or Nay?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2018, 08:17:20 PM »
I'm in my mid forties and have never lived in a place which had a functioning dishwasher.

However, when we get our kitchen renovated in about 6 months time, we will be adding a dishwasher. Partly to help with the re-sale value of our place and partly to give us more flexibility. I've had a lot of health issues in the past 5 or 6 years, and recently DH has been low on spoons too. So if DH was away or too low on spoons to wash dishes, it will definitely help us keep on top of keeping the kitchen running.

Given it's just the 2 of us, we might buy one which is 2 drawers, so we can run small loads if needed. And then run a big load if we've left things pile up or we've had people over for a meal or whatever.

Llewellyn2006

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2018, 09:06:12 PM »
We got one installed when we had our kitchen renovated back in 2011. Prior to that neither of us had had one in our previous unmarried lives. Now we wouldn't be without it. It's a single drawer unit and is more than adequate for the two of us. I believe that they don't use much water either which is a bonus where we live.

letired

• Pencil Stache
    • Needs More Glitter
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2018, 09:15:55 PM »
I've lived without a dishwasher for several years, but I didn't enjoy it. I hate washing by hand, so I'm in the always dishwasher camp. If there are extenuating circumstances (cheap rent in an old cottage with a TINY kitchen and no room for a dishwasher), I can manage. But I'm happier and my kitchen is cleaner when I can throw everything in my dishwasher and walk away.

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2018, 10:15:30 PM »
I had never had a dishwasher.  Last spring or summer I bought a portable one I can hook up to the sink faucet, and I love it.  I wish I had done this years ago!  It's just my son and I, but we also cook from scratch, and I hate doing dishes (especially in the winter when my eczema is already acting up).  I fully intend to have a built in dishwasher when I build my simple house in the woods, even though I'll be the only one living there.

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2018, 10:31:43 PM »
If you could afford to add it, would you? 

Has owning one improved your life considerably?

Nope. When the dishwasher that came with our house broke my GF wanted a new one. I didn't and while we argued discussed the matter we did dishes by hand. After a while we just stopped talking about a dishwasher because doing them by hand is so fast and easy it just doesn't make sense to spend money to try and automate the process.

Over the years I've had a few dishwashers and never been blown away by the experience. So ya...if it was me I wouldn't spend the money.

JanF

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2018, 10:47:24 PM »
yes!! Washing dishes 3 times a day is a waste of time, energy, and water IMO. I cook a lot and I sometimes use a lot of dishes cooking, if I had to wash a bunch of plates every time I cook I would lose my motivation to cook. And you don't have to run the dishwasher every day, if I don't use a lot of dishes I run them every other day or whenever they get full.

englishteacheralex

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2018, 10:49:58 PM »
Never had one for eleven years in a studio apartment. Got married, had a kid, no dishwasher. Bought a condo, had a piece of crap dishwasher, had another kid. Didn't understand what the fuss was about re: dishwashers.

Dishwasher crapped the bed two weeks ago. Bought a new dishwasher.

THIS DISHWASHER FREAKIN' RULES.

My kitchen is clean ALL THE TIME now. This takes ten minutes. We cook from scratch all the time, and both of us have full-time jobs. In the past, one reason we've caved in and gotten takeout was because I just couldn't handle the prospect of another sinkfull of dishes.

Now I don't even care. Our already fairly strong cooking at home game is now even more bullet proof.

Dishwashers are wonderful.

remizidae

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2018, 11:16:00 PM »
I'm getting tired of looking at the dish drainer full of dishes, pots and pans most of the day.  And washing dishes three times a day is also getting old.

I wouldn't buy one. Depends how much you hate doing dishes--personally I find it soothing to do a simple manual task once a day. You don't need to wash dishes every time you eat! Nothing catastrophic is going to happen if you let things sit for a while. Also, even with a dishwasher, you're going to have a full dish drainer and things to wash by hand--knives, cutting boards, wooden spoons, pots and pans, delicate glassware. There's actually a lot of stuff that should not go in the dishwasher if you want to preserve it.

https://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2013/12/30/are-you-cleaning-out-your-own-wallet/

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2018, 01:16:11 AM »
We have a dishwasher now and love it! We put everything in there except our wooden chopping boards, our two good kitchen knives and our cast iron frying pans. I figure if the dishwasher breaks it, we'll buy a new dishwasher-safe one. So far, zero problems, even with fancy teacups and glassware and silver cutlery. Modern ones are just not that harsh. They do take longer to run at lower temperatures and with less water, but we just put ours on after dinner and it runs while we're in bed. We bought a slimline one to fit into our space and it's just right for the two of us cooking three meals a day at home. It has upped our cooking/eating game because I'm no longer looking at a pan of scrambled eggs thinking "You will be so gross to scrub". Believe me, I would not be eating porridge (oatmeal) for breakfast every morning if I had to clean the pan myself. Get one! But get a slimline one if its just two of you. But do use dishwasher salt and rinse aid and proper tablets. There's a lot of chemistry on the internet explaining why those are not a massive con to steal your money.

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2018, 02:44:09 AM »
If you intend to sell the property before you die, then at the very least have the space created for one, and the plumbing/electrical work done while you remodel.

If I could afford to do it I would. I personally like the dish drawers, much more comfortable loading/unloading.

Eucalyptus

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2018, 02:54:37 AM »
I don't have one, haven't for years. I like doing dishes. I also only use about 4-5L max of water (I've measured) each wash (about once a day) and I can use/choose cold water, also I'm thinking of adding a hot water loop to my compost soon, so free hot water. I can also use it for watering my garden (grey water) easier, and I can carefully control the amount of eco dishwashing liquid i use depending on the wash. All this is more environmentally friendly, and, saves money.

However, within the next two years I'm aiming to completely replace my 1970s kitchen, not for me personally as I can live in the dirt if I want to quite happily, but for value purposes. I'm thinking of putting in a dishdrawer (as well as a convection oven which I'd personally only use a couple of times a year...) even if I don't use it, just to boost the property value. I expect it would add at least $2k worth of value. In two years I need to refinance my loan so this will help me get to a better LVR. Also, if my circumstances change (eg lose job, or meet someone and move, etc) then it will be easier to rent it out. Probably add $10/wk; worth it. Lots of modern people are used to dishwashers now.

I'll probably install it and never use it myself apart from testing or if I happen to be hosting a dinner party.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2018, 03:50:11 AM »
Dishwasher and more than 1 bathroom was the motivation for moving to our current place - we did more years than I could bear handwashing and I was done. It was the straw that broke the camel's back. Since then we eased up a little on the frugality/must diy every flipping thing in the world mindset and I am so much happier. We are still saving 75% but we also get some free time.

SpreadsheetMan

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2018, 03:59:41 AM »
Never had a dishwasher. There are only 2 of us and we wash up as we go, takes no time at all.

It would probably have been a different story if we were a larger family, although that also assumes we lived in a house with room for one, which we don't currently.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2018, 04:05:08 AM »
I have had a dishwashers for years but the one I have now is pretty awesome. It is a Bosch. I fill it up once a day and run it while we sleep. If you are going to buy one look into a DW that is quiet in case you decide to run it in the day or evening. Cheap ones are noisy. The one I have now is not the quietest but better than most. Like another poster said, use the soaps and other liquids recommended for the DW. If you start being cheap with that, the efficiency of cleaning may be lessened. I buy jumbo containers of DW detergent tabs from Costco and also the jumbo sized Jet dry from Costco. We are just two people and two doggies and we cook home meals so we fill the DW up every night and have full loads. The only thing I hate, is emptying the DW. It only takes minutes but...still hate it! So bottom line is get a good quality DW, and good quality soaps recommended from manufacturer and you should have no issues. We refrain from adding knives and good quality frying pans to the DW (stainless steel is okay). Before adding stuff, see if it is recommended for the DW.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2018, 04:36:36 AM »
I don’t mind washing dishes, but I can’t stand dirty dishes in the sink. Thus, when we don’t have a dishwasher, I’m washing dishes about 20 Times/day. So I’m fond of having a dishwasher. We cook and eat at home, and need to run it at least daily.

I caution you that a good Bosch dishwasher is not cheap.

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2018, 06:42:18 AM »
When we stayed in an Airbnb for a month with just H and I, and didn't do major cooking projects, I didn't mind not having a dishwasher. When I interned and it was just me, I didn't mind.

But for a family of 4 who all pack lunches and snacks, and with cooking from scratch and batch cooking, it makes life better.

If you have space I would definitely put one in orleacespace for one, because if you ever sell it will be a huge help.

GizmoTX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2018, 07:49:23 AM »
I absolutely hate dirty dishes dumped in the sink — they have to be removed before anyone can use the sink.

A dishwasher uses less water, less energy, & removes the mess of dirty dishes. I think a good dishwasher gets things much cleaner, especially greasy items. The new ones work better if dishes are scraped but not rinsed.

A dishwasher is a must for resale or rental, IMO.

Also think about a super single sink instead of twin sinks, because you can wash big pots & sheet pans much more easily. You can always use a plastic dishpan, large bowl, or big pot to turn a single sink into two basins, but a twin sink will never get bigger.

jac941

• Bristles
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2018, 08:09:57 AM »
Yes dishwasher. It’s a huge time and water saver. Kudos to those of you who find washing dishes soothing. But with 2 adults, 2 kids and 2 full time jobs, I prefer to spend my 30 min of free time per day doing something that’s actually relaxing.

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2018, 08:16:30 AM »
Install a dishwasher. I agree with those who said you'll need it if you sell your place or want to rent it out. I myself don't mind washing dishes by hand,  but can't stand dirty dishes in the sink, so if I don't have a dishwasher I'm washing dishes all day long. With the dishwasher I rinse my dishes and put them in the dishwasher--then run it every evening. I think it helps keep your kitchen neater (unless you're washing/drying/putting away all day long), and also I feel that it sanitizes the dishes--uses much hotter water than I could stand on my bare hands. I also vote for one large single sink. It gives plenty of room for washing bigger things, and can always be divided into two sinks (so to speak) by getting a dishpan.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2018, 08:54:33 AM »
Hell yes! They're inportant for resale, and having one doesn't mean you have to run it  When I was a singleton, I often washed my dishes by hand, then placed them in the DW to air dry so they didn't clutter up the counter. Now that I feed a family of four adults every day, it is a gift from heaven.

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2018, 09:02:31 AM »
We didn't have a dishwasher for many years both when it was just the two of us and after DD1 was born.  Then we got one after DD2 was born and it is wonderful. I love the dishwasher sooo much.  But we also have 2 kids, work full time and cook almost all meals at home.  If you don't have kids, don't work FT and eat out more than us then maybe it's not something life changing.  I know it's not strictly mustachian but there are certain basic things, including a dishwasher and washing machine (but for me, not a dryer or car) that I consider essentials,

We still end up doing a bit of hand washing for things like pots and pans and cutting boards.

pegleglolita

• Stubble
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2018, 09:17:40 AM »
Dishwashers are a sanity saver.  However, consider picking one up on the super cheap at Habitat for Humanity!  When we remodeled the kitchen about 10 years ago we bought all new Samsung appliances (ugh, do NOT get me started on what POS these things are).  After the dw broke 3 years after purchase (WTF), we bought an older KitchenAid one built like a tank for $25 at Habitat.  Still running strong.

wildbeast

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2018, 10:41:54 AM »
I'm happy to see most of you are in the yay camp!  I think you've convinced me to splurge.  I don't like washing dishes, but I was feeling guilty about the DW since it's just us two. 

I bought a Samsung fridge last summer and I agree about the POS assessment.  A friend has a Bosch and raves about it although the delivery was a huge mess - damaged product, delivered to wrong address (wrong state!), etc... 

Any other brand recommends besides the Kitchenaid?

Also, if the DW dies, is it easy enough to replace without disturbing the countertop?  I'm going to splurge and put in some quartz.  I've always had formica and never had to worry about messing up a fancy countertop but lot of the units I see online say "built-in" and it makes me wonder.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
Dishwasher - Yay or Nay?
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2018, 10:56:57 AM »
I have had several dishwasher brands and a Maytag that broke after maybe 5 years. The place I deal with sells mostly appliances and upscale cabinets like built ins. The guy told me the Bosch would last and not to even bother with an extended warranty. He is right so far. Mine doesn't have tons of buttons either. Appliances are a sore subject for me. When we built our house in 1975 we bought all new appliances. They lasted probably more than 23 years. My washer went and at that time I had Harvest Gold colored appliances and didn't want to have a white washer and a gold dryer so I bought new washer and dryer. Those appliances didn't last any time at all and they were Maytag! I was furious! We all have been brainwashed that Maytag would never break. I now have a Bosch front load washer and it is chugging along. My dryer is a regular type dryer and doesn't match the washer but both are white and isn't Bosch. I swear appliances have a time clock that starts the day you buy them and crap out within 5 years at the most. I had a Maytag refrigerator and it lasted 1 1/2 years and croaked too. ARG! Good luck and do some research on brands and warranties.

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2018, 11:07:59 AM »
Lived without a DW for 46 years, and was perfectly happy not to have one.  Then we moved into this house, which came with a crappy old DW.  We didn't use it much, except for holiday dinners and get togethers.  Got a new one about 8 years ago, and I'm a convert.  No more piles of dirty dishes in the sink or on the counter. We are down to just Mr. SP and myself now, so only run it twice a week.  Still worth it.  Also, anecdotally, we seem to not share our colds and other bugs as much.  When one of us is sick, I can put the DW on 'sterilize' and nuke those germs.   We did buy extra cutlery - with only running it twice a week, we always seemed to be out of spoons and knives.

We have a GE - nothing all that expensive or fancy, but does the job and is reasonably quiet and energy star rated.  No problem installing it - if it's set up correctly, they slide in and out easily.  Ours is secured to the countertop with one easily accessible screw at the front.   I would not buy Frigidaire - friends did, and it was a nightmare of leaking and horrible customer service from day one.  The front panel was visibly warped, and it still took 3 months to get a refund and replacement, even after the service techs said it was not repairable. 

wildbeast

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2018, 11:20:19 AM »
I have had several dishwasher brands and a Maytag that broke after maybe 5 years. The place I deal with sells mostly appliances and upscale cabinets like built ins. The guy told me the Bosch would last and not to even bother with an extended warranty. He is right so far. Mine doesn't have tons of buttons either. Appliances are a sore subject for me. When we built our house in 1975 we bought all new appliances. They lasted probably more than 23 years. My washer went and at that time I had Harvest Gold colored appliances and didn't want to have a white washer and a gold dryer so I bought new washer and dryer. Those appliances didn't last any time at all and they were Maytag! I was furious! We all have been brainwashed that Maytag would never break. I now have a Bosch front load washer and it is chugging along. My dryer is a regular type dryer and doesn't match the washer but both are white and isn't Bosch. I swear appliances have a time clock that starts the day you buy them and crap out within 5 years at the most. I had a Maytag refrigerator and it lasted 1 1/2 years and croaked too. ARG! Good luck and do some research on brands and warranties.

Roadrunner - how long have you had your Bosch?  Any problems with the delivery and installation?

GizmoTX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2018, 11:49:26 AM »
Dishwashers just slide in & out -- there should be no effect on a countertop unless the one that's there was installed in a non-conventional way. They usually are hooked to drain into a garbage disposal.

We replaced an ancient DW with a basic GE in our lake house. I don't select the heated dry option so we don't have to worry about stuff melting & find that most things dry by morning if I run it overnight. Steam and/or a stainless steel liner are nice options.

If you want a really good DW, go with Miele. Love the separate cutlery tray instead of the typical basket. We've had ours for 10 years & have only had to replace a filter basket, without a service call. A less expensive quality choice would be Bosch or Asko, but I don't have first hand experience with them.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
Dishwasher - Yay or Nay?
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2018, 11:50:36 AM »
The Bosch DW is approx. 8 years old. The appliance place ordered the DW and then hired outside contractors to deliver and install. No issues really. The guy took forever to install it and I couldn't figure out why since basically he was taking the broken one away and installing the new one in its place. The other thing the delivery guys did was put a small gouge in my vinyl floor. That made me mad but didn't really know it happened till maybe a week later. GRRRR!!!

wildbeast

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2018, 11:56:24 AM »
The Bosch DW is approx. 8 years old. The appliance place ordered the DW and then hired outside contractors to deliver and install. No issues really. The guy took forever to install it and I couldn't figure out why since basically he was taking the broken one away and installing the new one in its place. The other thing the delivery guys did was put a small gouge in my vinyl floor. That made me mad but didn't really know it happened till maybe a week later. GRRRR!!!

There must be something with Bosch installers because my friend had a horrible time with them.  He ordered a DW, fridge, microwave and stove and they all had some type of issue or another with the delivery.  Two items had to be replaced because they were badly damaged, one item was delivered to a different state, and so on.  He hasn't had them long.

I'm glad to hear that your DW has held up well. 

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2018, 12:04:43 PM »
I have a fairly new whirlpool that works great. It was about $500.

Happy shopping!

letired

• Pencil Stache
    • Needs More Glitter
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2018, 02:15:01 PM »
My friends have a new Bosch, which I helped them install. While I can't comment on it's longevity, I can say that thing cleans like a mofo. They're at the top of my craigslist search :) They come up used and cheap every once in a while.

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2018, 02:19:45 PM »
If you intend to sell the property before you die, then at the very least have the space created for one, and the plumbing/electrical work done while you remodel.

+ 1
But I would add that each bedroom and bathroom in the house weights toward installing one.  The more beds, the more eaters, the more dishes (and the less time for the cook).
The OP doesn't say if they are empty nesters still living in the house they raised their kids in.

To the OP:  if you have enough dishes and cookware to only run a dishwasher once a day, why are you hand washing 3 times a day?  I usually hand wash every other day - I live alone.

asauer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2018, 02:59:31 PM »
I assume you own your home if you're doing a remodel.  I would add a lower end model if only for resale.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2018, 03:25:30 PM »
I'm happy to see most of you are in the yay camp!  I think you've convinced me to splurge.  I don't like washing dishes, but I was feeling guilty about the DW since it's just us two. 

I bought a Samsung fridge last summer and I agree about the POS assessment.  A friend has a Bosch and raves about it although the delivery was a huge mess - damaged product, delivered to wrong address (wrong state!), etc... 

Any other brand recommends besides the Kitchenaid?

Also, if the DW dies, is it easy enough to replace without disturbing the countertop?  I'm going to splurge and put in some quartz.  I've always had formica and never had to worry about messing up a fancy countertop but lot of the units I see online say "built-in" and it makes me wonder.

It depends on how it’s installed I guess. We remodeled the kitchen two summers ago, and got (gasp!) granite counters (dh picked them out, but I like them and find them very easy to clean.) When we bought a new dishwasher last summer, the guy at Lowe’s muttered that they could be hard to install if you have granite, but the installers didn’t seem to have any problems.

OTOH, my friends have laminate countertops, but when they replaced their dishwasher, some of the floor tiles had to be pulled up.

Lanthiriel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2018, 03:39:16 PM »
I’d be divorced without my dishwasher. It’s a minor expense and a big bump in quality of life.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2018, 03:59:30 PM »
It's something that so many people expect that it makes sense to at least make the kitchen ready for one. If you put one in and don't like using it, just use it as a drying rack/storage. At least that way you'll clear up counter space.

Christof

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2018, 04:04:49 PM »
To me it's a work related expense. I tried for two months to minimize dish washer usage to less than once per week, because they are expensive to operate. About 1 KWh even without a dryer cycle, so 30 cents here. But man, with a kid and two adults working, it really is stressing when not all of you are cool letting the dishes stay in the sink for two days, or so.

So for now we keep using our brand new 14-year old eco dish washer, but it'll likely be the last (and second) one we ever owned.

Papa bear

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2018, 04:45:28 PM »
Put in 2!! One for clean, one for dirty.  Rotate.  Reduces your cabinet space.

But I guess I did remodel my house and only did 1.  Next kitchen...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

le-weekend

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2018, 08:16:38 PM »
I am single and always need this or that plate or cup again before the dishwasher gets filled. So I do a lot of hand washing and don't mind too much. I lived for years in apts without one, so I can take it or leave it. But I agree that for resale value purposes, most buyers would expect one.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

dreams_and_discoveries

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2018, 02:05:28 AM »

But I guess I did remodel my house and only did 1.  Next kitchen...

A friend of a friend once had her massive kitchen redone -  she told the builders she kept kosher so they'd not find it strange she had two ovens etc.....they then suggested two dishwashers, she duly accepted and now they apparently are a godsend.

sea_saw

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2018, 02:48:28 AM »
What, like a separate meat and dairy/parve fridge? Dang, that is dedication! I could see more people keeping entirely separate plates, utensils and appliances that way actually. If you have the space for all of this duplication...!

Anyway I am on TEAM DISHWASHER 100%. Gets things cleaner, uses less water, saves time, stores the dirty dishes out of sight. Plus purely subjectively, I hate and put off washing dishes, but actively enjoy and look forward to loading/unloading dishwashers as a satisfying tetris task.

I actually finally got a (slimline) dishwasher installed yesterday and have already run it twice to get through a large meal cooked for guests + my previous backlog of dishes (since I knew a dishwasher was coming). That was exciting enough but after that I was transferring some leftover fat drippings from the meal I'd cooked into a tiny jar, and I used:

* a wooden spatula to scrape them up from the pan while I deglazed it on the heat
* a flexible silicone spatula to wipe the pan totally clean
* finally a teaspoon to catch the last pool of liquid gold from the corner of the tray

And I WASN'T EVEN ANNOYED ABOUT IT. Previously I'd have done the task some absurd way in order to minimise washing up.

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2018, 03:38:54 AM »
I lived with and without dishwashers. When I don't have one, I adjust. When I do have one I wonder how I ever did without one.
So its a yes from me.

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
« Reply #43 on: January 07, 2018, 04:53:59 AM »

But I guess I did remodel my house and only did 1.

Fisher & Paykel Dishdrawers have two seperatly controlled wash compartments in a standard dishwasher size.

BookLoverL

• Bristles
« Reply #44 on: January 07, 2018, 07:06:43 AM »
When my parents used to have a dishwasher in my early teen years, it used to leave the dishes still dirty afterwards unless you rinsed them first. And as far as I'm concerned, if you have to rinse it first, you may as well wash it completely by hand. Maybe dishwashers have improved in the last decade, IDK. YMMV.

If the problem is that there is too many things to wash, consider making your cooking more efficient, so that you dirty less pans per meal. Also, you don't have to wash things immediately if you don't want to - we usually leave the breakfast dishes and the small lunch plates/soup dishes in the bowl all day, and wash everything in the evening after dinner. Don't get a new glass every time you have a drink if it was the same type of drink and recent, and if you snack, don't get a new plate for every snack. That's my advice, anyway.

wildbeast

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #45 on: January 07, 2018, 12:04:49 PM »
And I WASN'T EVEN ANNOYED ABOUT IT. Previously I'd have done the task some absurd way in order to minimise washing up.

This made me laugh!  You wouldn't believe (or maybe you would) the number of times I purposely leave a small amount of food in a saucepan or skillet so I can stick it in the fridge instead of washing it.   And I get so annoyed with DH when he uses extra stuff that will need to be washed. 

So I'm assuming that the DW does a good job with pots and pans of most sizes since no one has said otherwise.  I just realized I've never actually used a DW.  Like ever.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
Dishwasher - Yay or Nay?
« Reply #46 on: January 07, 2018, 12:12:55 PM »
Some pots shouldn't go in the DW. If you have very expensive pans/pots I would be careful to see if manufacturer recommends it. I used to put everything in DW but some of my pots that were black turned a grayish color and Hub has a thing with knives and we have some very expensive carving and steak knives that we wash by hand. The DW ruins the handles and he says the DW dulls them too. It was hard breaking the habit of throwing everything in and sometimes I fear I have forgotten and put his knives in the DW! Most things have instructions on whether to put in DW or not.

Plastic things like Rubbermaid/Tupperware tend to not always dry and I usually put the in the dish drainer to finish drying.

sea_saw

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #47 on: January 07, 2018, 01:53:22 PM »
This made me laugh!  You wouldn't believe (or maybe you would) the number of times I purposely leave a small amount of food in a saucepan or skillet so I can stick it in the fridge instead of washing it.   And I get so annoyed with DH when he uses extra stuff that will need to be washed. 

Ha. I don't tend to do that because living alone it is me vs future me, so an empty pot is just as fine on the counter as in the fridge. But I will often attempt to squeeze the whole 10-portion cooking pot into the fridge rather than decanting the 1 portion it actually contains into a NEW receptacle... I'm going to have to clean that you know!!

Dishwashers handle pots and pans OK for the most part. Depending on the type it can shorten the lifespan of the coating, but I've decided to plant my flag on the 'fuck it' side of the fence. And they're amazing for e.g. oven trays and things like that which are such a pain by hand. The one thing I personally won't use them for is sharp knives, which go noticeably blunter after only a couple of dishwasher cycles. Sharpening them frequently is more effort and expense than cleaning them by hand.

People who find their dishwashers don't clean stuff properly need to 1) confirm they're loading it correctly and using a good detergent for their machine/water type, and 2) if it still doesn't work well, replace it. There is absolutely no reason for things not to come out consistently great.

JanF

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #48 on: January 07, 2018, 02:11:46 PM »
Some pots shouldn't go in the DW. If you have very expensive pans/pots I would be careful to see if manufacturer recommends it. I used to put everything in DW but some of my pots that were black turned a grayish color and Hub has a thing with knives and we have some very expensive carving and steak knives that we wash by hand. The DW ruins the handles and he says the DW dulls them too. It was hard breaking the habit of throwing everything in and sometimes I fear I have forgotten and put his knives in the DW! Most things have instructions on whether to put in DW or not.

Plastic things like Rubbermaid/Tupperware tend to not always dry and I usually put the in the dish drainer to finish drying.

Agree about the knives. I have cheap ones so I don't care but it definitely gets dull when you put them in DW. My policy is if my things can't handle abuse (DW, washer/dryer) I don't buy them. Makes my life easier.

wildbeast

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #49 on: January 07, 2018, 02:31:41 PM »
Most of my pots and pans are cheap, the skillets are cheap non-stick, and I have a few big dutch ovens and stock pots that I'll need to do by hand (but I don't use these all that often), as well as the knives if blunting is an issue.  Cleaning one knife instead of a big sink full of stuff is way better!

My daily stuff would be a couple of small saucepans, a skillet or two, dishes, glasses, cutlery, cutting boards, assorted containers in glass or plastic, a few food prep items like colanders and such.  Oh hey, can I throw the pet bowls in with my stuff?  If so, that would be awesome!  Or is that totally unsanitary and gross?  Perhaps I'm putting the DW on a pedestal now?