Author Topic: Dishwasher Detergent  (Read 2828 times)

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
Dishwasher Detergent
« on: September 09, 2018, 01:00:32 AM »
Hey we are going through our grocery bill line by line, calculating the cost per unit for every single thing and generating a price book.

My boyfriend just bought some dishwashing detergent last night for $9.99.  It was the Cascade Platinum Packets with Powder & gel combination.   $9.99 for 32 loads, which comes to 31 cents per load just for the detergent.

We do love how the dishes come out.  Never any spots or residue, crystal clean.

But I was wondering is there a way to get as clean dishes at say half the cost ?  I'd really like to cut this monthly bill down to $5 per month instead of $10. (we do about a load of dishes per day).

Beach_Stache

• Stubble
    • This Frugal Father
Re: Dishwasher Detergent
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2018, 07:36:13 AM »
I make my own dishwasher detergent.  I do the same with laundry detergent and used to do it with Soap as well (only a few times - made me feel like Tyler Durden).  The bar soap doesn't save much money, but it was fun.  The dishwasher detergent and laundry detergent saves a TON of money though, and is super easy to make.  You can youtube DIY laundry detergent and find a bunch of stuff.

My wife thinks it doesn't work super great, but that's b/c she throws dishes in caked w/food on them.  So it's not as good as the toxic stuff, but I like the idea of saving money, DIY'ing as well as knowing exactly what chemical's go into the detergents.  You should look online or DIY, but off the top of my head here is what I do:
Laundry Detergent - https://youtu.be/9-zrjzqX5i0
- Only change is I add in maybe half a cup of scentables stuff (the generic stuff from Walmart).  I get all the ingredients from walmart and it's the cheapest there.
Dishwasher Detergent - https://youtu.be/9OivmnM3usk
- Only change is I add in maybe half a cup or so of Absorbic Acid (that I got on Amazon) which helps de-grease and makes things smell good.

I also make fabric softener out of the cheapest hair conditioner, water and vinegar and that seems to work.  The only thing I notice w/laundry is that it's not as gentle on the clothes maybe.  But for the expense and knowing what goes into it, I like it.  I would give that a try if you're looking at saving money.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2018, 08:12:50 AM »
I think it depends on the dishwasher. I've got a Bosch, and I found that using anything besides the recommended Finish tabs eventually caused the sensors to freak out. The repair guy said that Cascade "over foams".

However, I buy the giant package on Amazon and that brings the cost down a little bit. (Looking at Amazon, I pay .15/each, but your Cascade is a bit cheaper than what you're paying, too.)
« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 08:16:27 AM by Cranky »

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2018, 12:37:51 PM »
Thanks for the replies!  These look promising at 10 cents per load:
I've seen some before and after photos of dishes washed with this and the people doing the reviews say they come out sparkling and spot free:

https://www.samsclub.com/sams/mm-auto-dish-ult-105-105-count/prod11610180.ip?xid=plp_product_1_1
« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 12:44:00 PM by JenniferW »

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2018, 12:44:04 PM »
I switched back to cascade gel.  It is so close to the tabs in cleaning power, and now that the kids don't load the dishwasher,  the spills are less and I don't need the portion packs.  Gel is about 7 cents/ load.   

The powder detergent is even cheaper per load.  I find I make a mess under the cupboard with it, it sticks in the cup, so I like the gel, don't mind the marginal cost.

Hey, it is an easy trial, anyway -- why don't you try switching next time you need to buy and compare the unit cost?

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2018, 12:45:52 PM »
For the gel at 7 cents per load, do you fill up the little recess under the door or use less? say like half?  That's a good deal.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2018, 01:10:57 PM »
My dishwasher wants me to use two cups.  I have soft water though, and I could cut back.  My DW often does not have enough pressure up top, which doesn't clean well sometimes, and frustrated me doesn't want to figure out how much using only one compartment of solution, versus the two cup (pre wash / wash) cups contributed.

MBot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2018, 04:39:34 PM »
I find regular Cascade works great. Have you tried that one?

Depending on where you are you may get “mailer” coupons for $2 off regular Cascade.  Ours come in the flyer insert for our free newspaper in Canada.

Then the best price is usually at Walmart here.

Checkout 51 app also has a $2 rebate on them sometimes.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2018, 06:14:54 PM »
For the gel at 7 cents per load, do you fill up the little recess under the door or use less? say like half?  That's a good deal.
That price is CDN $ and assumes 1 oz per load is used.   

catccc

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2018, 08:27:47 PM »
31 cents per load is pretty high!  Do you have a costco membership or know someone who does and can buy you a costco cash gift card?  The finish tablets there are $15.99 for 125, making it under 13 cents per load.  That's the regular price and I usually stock up when they are on sale for even less.  This is the faaancy stuff IMO (what, pre-portioned?  huh, magic powerball promises clean rinsing?), but I've decided it is worth the cost.  I just don't want to spend time making my own and then having it harden into an unusable solid mass in a short time, as it happened.  Also, I didn't think it worked that well.  Cascade frequently left residue, wasting time and effectively doubling the bargain price with having to rewash things.  So it's finish for us, but in bulk and on sale from Costco.

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2018, 11:01:32 PM »
No Costco's near here, lots of Sam's Club though.

Cache_Stash

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2018, 05:18:52 AM »
No Costco's near here, lots of Sam's Club though.

Sam's has it as well.  That's where I buy my finish tabs.

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2018, 08:30:53 AM »
My brother says he uses "All" for 13 cents per load.   How does Finish compare to All?  I guess I shall buy some Finish right now and trade a few tabs with him so we can both compare. 

Right now Sams has sale on Finish for 10.2 cents per load :)