Author Topic: Concrete vs Paver Patio  (Read 3915 times)

NextTime

• Pencil Stache
Concrete vs Paver Patio
« on: August 31, 2018, 09:09:35 AM »
The small deck in my very tiny backyard is at the end of it's useful life. One of our neighbors replaced theirs a few years ago with a concrete patio.  I'm pretty much set on doing the same. It will make the backyard look bigger and also be much cheaper.

At first I was set on the concrete patio, but then I saw some photos of the paver patios and really like the look. So now I'm stuck between the two. The pavers would be much easier to maintain, and easier/cheaper to replace if any issues popup, but they are also significantly more expensive. I've only received one quote so far, and that was from one of the more expensive landscape companies in town. They quoted about $20/sq foot for middle of the line paver patio and $10-$12 for concrete.  I know I can get a much better quote from other companies (especially for concrete), but that shows me that the pavers will be roughly double what the concrete slab would cost. I've got a couple others lined up to come out and take a look.

I've got two small kids, one being a needy 2 year-old going through a clingy stage, so I'm not looking to DIY this.

I'd like to hear some opinions/experiences on which way to go. Is pavers worth the extra cost?

Current Leaning: Really want the paver patio, but leaning concrete due to cost.

KCM5

• Pencil Stache
Re: Concrete vs Paver Patio
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2018, 09:13:32 AM »
Have you priced stamped concrete?

We have brick pavers, diy so it was way cheaper than concrete ($1,000 for all supples for a huge, complicated patio, planters and retaining wall). But concrete is definitely lower maintenance. Pavers mean so many weeds! And we used polymer sand so I don’t know what else we could have done.

NextTime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2018, 09:19:20 AM »
Have you priced stamped concrete?

We have brick pavers, diy so it was way cheaper than concrete ($1,000 for all supples for a huge, complicated patio, planters and retaining wall). But concrete is definitely lower maintenance. Pavers mean so many weeds! And we used polymer sand so I don’t know what else we could have done.

That's interesting. Because I asked about the weeds issue and they said it isn't an issue because of the polymer sand. I'm a big fan of low maintenance.

I will definitely be asking about stamped concrete. My wife really wants a wavy pattern, not just a big square/rectangle, and I think stamped edges will look nice.

familyandfarming

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2018, 07:57:14 PM »
Last year we put in a stamped concrete patio and are very pleased with the results! We had a colored brick pattern stamped around the edges. We had the main patio area colored to match the cement foundation on the house, so it looks like it's been there since the 1970's, when the house was constructed.

To think I fussed for decades about wanting a wooden deck! We would have replaced a wooden deck twice by this time. Instead, we now have a very cost effective, classic-looking, not going out of style stamped concrete patio!

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2018, 08:00:03 PM »
This thread needs photos.  I need ideas.

Firehazard

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2018, 08:06:32 PM »
We had a paver with poly sand patio for 4 years at one of our homes...never any weeds, and it looked great.  Possibly if a lot of dirt built up in the cracks some weed seeds could sprout.  Just use a blower to keep it cleaned off.

Capt j-rod

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2018, 08:20:44 PM »
What region do you live in? In the south pavers are great. In the north like me in Northern Ohio, the frost and freeze/thaw cycle plays hell on pavers. I like the concrete and seal it with a good sealer.

Papa bear

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2018, 08:34:38 PM »
Pavers have been phenomenal for me in central ohio, Northeast Ohio, and upstate NY.  Concrete is more problematic in my experience. It will crack and spall with the amount of salt and freeze thaw.  Pavers already have their expansion points built in for every piece. Pavers can be pulled up, add or remove sand, replace, tamp, and leveled again.

Polymeric sand will hold up for 4-5 years. Regular sand or limestone fines will have weeds in weeks!

I put in paver patios for about 5.50/sf for materials (includes limestone, sand, etc) I buy directly from the manufacturer during the annual clearance sales.

So to humor my SO for a project, I had a company quote one project. 10k. I did it for 3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Papa bear

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2018, 08:45:05 PM »
Edited to pavers in northern climates:

These have to be properly installed. They require 4-6" of tamped gravel and limestone fines.  This is the same base required for concrete. Pavers over dirt/clay will not hold up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carma

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2018, 09:33:33 PM »
Location: Rural Canada/ interior BC. We moved into our new house at the end of June me, and we just finished installing 600 sq ft of pavers a couple weeks ago. Our choices were between replacing a slightly raised wood deck ( that we ripped out because it was rotten), doing a concrete patio, or doing a paver patio. We chose the paver patios because a) we could do it ourselves, b) we live in a very rural area where concrete (and paver) suppliers are extremely limited, and c) we plan on living here for 30+ years and wanted something that would last forever(ish) if properly installed. Luckily the base material here was good enough to make a solid base when compacted (as per the pros). We also luckily have some good connections with the main paver supplier here, so we got a great price on the pavers and were able to borrow key equipment like plate tampers and scree (sp??) rods to ensure the base was completely solid. All in, we have spent  ~$5k to date, including pavers, 1/2 dump truck of regular sand, 1 full dump truck of topsoil( for the rest of the yard that we dug up to regrade) + “rural” delta very, and  slightly over 600 sq ft of pavers, + 8 or so bags of polymeric sand to fill between the pavers. price does not include the $$ we spent to have the yard regrade to ensure some melt does not flow directly into our crawl space next year. The same patio installed by pros, even with our “friends and family rate” would have run us $8-9k.

Awesomeness

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2018, 11:13:29 PM »
I’m going through this now.  I’m getting new sidewalks put in because the idiot that dug out my new water line used a massive backhoe and busted them up pretty bad. They were already the ugly original 1947 sidewalks, everyone else’s is too so I didn’t care. But it looks so bad that I’m having it redone. Water line guy didn’t get his money for the job so that’s good.

So I’m taking the opportunity to put in a patio for me in the front of my home. Yep the front. I rent my basement and they use the back of the house w the deck so I have no outdoor space unless I go to my garage. The front isn’t a traditional spot but it’ll only cost me a couple hundred more since they’re already there. I’m doing a 6x13 foot patio, just enough for a couple chairs and a little table or something,

I thought of pea gravel for the easy install and for the look.  But I really like the idea of concrete for no maintenance.

I have no utilities in that spot, if I did I’d do gravel or pavers to make it easier to access the sewer or water line etc. Consider the location and know where your utilities are. My back deck is over my sewer and my old water line.  Had to repair a leak around a pipe and they had no problem pulling up a few decking boards to dig the hole. They charged me a ton, should have done it myself, anyway.

Taxes are an issue, pavers or gravel would be free but they’ll tax me more for concrete. Literally had an assessment this year so it will be four more years til they come again. Had a huge increase, 25% because the house had no driveway last time.  Got a huge one now, the little patio won’t be much more but it will be included in future assessments so keep that in mind.

So I’m a concrete fan. Stamp it if you have the funds but to me it’s clean and maintenance free but know where your utilities are and if you’ll be taxed on concrete.

Capt j-rod

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2018, 09:05:43 AM »
Not all concrete is created equal. Around me 6 1/2sack is $125/ yard with a 4 yard minimum. No matter what the base is everything. I use a 12" thick base of recycled crushed concrete. You can only put it in 3-4" at a time. Each layer needs to be wetted down with a hose and plate tamped. If the area is prone to water then we use #57's so the water drains out. All of your saw cuts get power washed and filled with a flexible crack filler called "sika-flex"... Seal everything with a good sealer, preferably not water based. I am a big fan of wire mesh, but it has to be pulled up during the pour or your money is wasted. Pavers will work with the same base, but always plan for good drainage with no standing water. The last pavers I laid are on-top of 4" of concrete. ONE and DONE!

NextTime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2018, 10:42:50 AM »
Sorry I lost track of this thread. I thought it died after my last comment since I hadn't seen it.

Capt J-Rod - I live smack dab in the middle of the country - NE Kansas.  Hot summers and cold winters.

Sol - I need pictures and ideas too. 

I called on some quotes. One guy was supposed to be there at 7:00 Friday morning. He left his card in the door, but I have no idea what time he came. I did not have a missed call and he did not ring the doorbell (the dog would have gone nuts if he had).

Another was supposed to call me back last week and didn't.

I'm a little agitated but it sounds like these guys are pretty busy at this time of the year.

I'll be making some more calls today. I've gotten quite a few references.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 10:46:09 AM by dcozad999 »

NextTime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2018, 10:45:02 AM »
Last year we put in a stamped concrete patio and are very pleased with the results! We had a colored brick pattern stamped around the edges. We had the main patio area colored to match the cement foundation on the house, so it looks like it's been there since the 1970's, when the house was constructed.

To think I fussed for decades about wanting a wooden deck! We would have replaced a wooden deck twice by this time. Instead, we now have a very cost effective, classic-looking, not going out of style stamped concrete patio!

Do you mind telling me the cost and square footage? I like the stamped look, but may just do it on the edging if we go that route.