Author Topic: Dishwasher and appliances  (Read 4423 times)

Zman

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Dishwasher and appliances
« on: February 04, 2015, 05:34:36 PM »
If I have a dishwasher that is 5-6 years old and starting to break down, where do i draw the line on replacement vs repair?

Its a double drawer stainless steel kitchen aid dishwasher and  I have been quoted in the 500-600 dollar range for a repair. getting a new one will probably be around 1100-1200 dollars i think. Is the repair only going to delay replacement? Thoughts?

Also, similar question on washing machines.

Thanks!

Picklemeister

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Dishwasher and appliances
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2015, 06:06:31 PM »
Have you considered replacing the broken appliances with ones that have less bells and whistles? You can get a new dishwasher for less than the repair costs you outlined if you're in the U.S.

miskomd

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2015, 06:35:04 PM »
I'd try to fix it myself. I've revived my 20 yr old water heater several times over the last 4 years, adding up to roughly $30 in parts and 3 hours of my free time. If I would have paid a plumber, it would have been exponentially more to repair or replace. In the age of youtube/google, I feel like almost any appliance repair is within the grasp of most people. Ever since buying a house, I've done dryer, AC, dishwasher, water heater, oven...nothing was too crazy. If it's not working anyways, you might as well try. Even specialized parts are cheap online.

shanghaiMMM

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2015, 06:36:01 PM »
I've never owned a dishwasher. Maybe try it and see if you can cope without!

Zman

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2015, 06:38:00 PM »
It is working but it floods the other drawer. As for cheaper alternatives, yes they are out there but right now we are trying to stick to the same kind as we had. So I guess I'm looking for maybe a percentage of replacement cost where repairs become not worth it?

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2015, 06:43:47 PM »
The double drawer ones get ridiculously bad reviews for a reason.

I'd replace with a nice single dishwasher for 600-800$ and be done with it. 

(Or a less nice one, but apparently you are fancy).

SaintM

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2015, 07:42:53 PM »
I've never heard of a double drawer dishwaser. After lee arching for them on DuckDuckGo, I conclude they are gimmicks designed to separate kitchen affectionados from even more of their paychecks.

I'm shocked my sister and brother-in-law do not have one.

Zman

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2015, 09:24:55 AM »
Ok, thanks... We will try to repair and if that doesnt work we will buy a cheaper new one (single drawer).

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2015, 09:26:08 AM »
Sears Outlet is a great place to buy appliances for substantial discounts if you can live with a few dings.

newton86

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2015, 10:56:48 AM »
I also have never heard of a double drawer dishwasher, but before replacing it I would suggest pulling it out and inspecting the drain hose. You may simply have a clog if the bottom drawer is being flooded. If there is a clog, a new dishwasher will do the same thing, since you don't generally replace the drain hose with a new install.

TrMama

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2015, 12:19:16 PM »
If I have a dishwasher that is 5-6 years old and starting to break down, where do i draw the line on replacement vs repair?

Its a double drawer stainless steel kitchen aid dishwasher and  I have been quoted in the 500-600 dollar range for a repair. getting a new one will probably be around 1100-1200 dollars i think. Is the repair only going to delay replacement? Thoughts?

Also, similar question on washing machines.

Thanks!

My advice for both appliances is to try to fix them yourself. Even if you're not successful, it will be hard to break them more than they already are and you'll learn how to fix the next  one.

I fixed my KitchenAid dishwasher last year for $30 and about an hour's time. I also learned that dishwashers are basically put together like Lego and are ridiculously simple machines. Check YouTube for a tutorial.