Author Topic: Discuss - 'What are your occasional anti-mustachian splurges?'  (Read 9661 times)

Apocalyptica602

• Bristles
Hey all,

I think the average MMM forum goer / site reader is way ahead of the curve when it comes to managing their finances and restricting their lifestyle inflation.

However, the MMM lifestyle isn't about total deprivation, and even MMM himself for example will tell you that he lives in a beautiful and very large home. He does essentially all the work and improvements on it himself, AND (perhaps most importantly) he can afford it.

Does he need such a large house? No, and he'll be the first to tell you he most certainly doesn't.

But there is nothing wrong with wanting it, and having it.

To me, mustachianism isn't necessarily as much about early retirement as it is about freedom. They tend to go hand in hand but aren't mutually exclusive. This is all my opinion of course. What I like to say is "Save money where you can, so you can spend it where you want." (This is an oversimplification, I max out my 401k, am paying 5x my minimum school loan payments, etc)

So what hobbies / interests / things do you let yourself have that you most certainly don't need?

(You could be mustachian about how you approach them ie: DIY, buying used, etc. or not. As long as it's not interfering with their retirement / FI goals, please don't judge)

I'll start: I'm a video gamer (mostly PC) and an "aspiring" home theater enthusiast. I build my own gaming computers, and the most recent one I built in Nov 2011 was $1750 in parts. If I had told Alienware or CyberpowerPC or whoever else to 'build it for me' it would have easily cost me well over $3k.

I'm typing this post up from this PC, which is connected to a 60'' LCD TV about 6 feet away from me. I'm sitting on my couch. I currently have a small 5.1 surround sound system which I want to upgrade once I stop renting. (For the next 2 years I need to relocate for work twice, part of the Engineering development program I got hired into.)

When I purchase a home I plan on building a proper home theater, complete with 10 foot screen, projector, recliners, and proper sound system.

It's pretty unmustachian, even if I do essentially all the work myself. (Which I plan to learn how to do, I'm good with electronics but absolutely terrible with a saw and a hammer)

Because in all actuality, I REALLY don't need a home theater. Nobody does.

What about you?

TheDude

• Bristles
Re: Discuss - 'What are your occasional anti-mustachian splurges?'
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2012, 04:51:37 PM »
We arent great mustchians. I am pretty frugal by nature but my wife is not. We eat a lot more often than I like. I also have a weakness for bicycles. I worked at shops from age 15-26 so I always got them pretty cheap. Now that I dont work at a shop anymore I wait until the end of the year and buy closeout stuff but I still spend a lot on bikes/bike supplies.

Apocalyptica602

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2012, 06:09:47 PM »
Whoops, just realized this isn't really a "dilemma". If a mod wants to move it into General Discussion that works for me haha.

skyrefuge

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2012, 07:32:18 PM »
What I like to say is "Save money where you can, so you can spend it where you want."

Yep.  For example, when out doing something with friends, I never hesitate to spend money with them, and never whine about going to places that are too expensive.  As you say, since I save so much elsewhere, I have more money available to spend than any of them anyhow!

I think Mustachianism is totally cool with spending a bunch on whatever you like, as long as it makes you happy and you don't turn around and whine about not having enough money or not being able to retire when you want.  You like motorcycles, organic food, or weekend trips to Vegas?  Awesome!  Revel in the luxuries your wealth has made possible.  But if you feel like whining about those things costing too much money, then stop spending money on them, because that means they aren't worth it to you anymore.

For me:

- My house: 3 bedrooms, 2 baths, 1/4-acre yard, for one dude?  Crazy!  My mortgage is paid off, but my property taxes alone make up a full 25% of my annual expenses.
- My car: Consciously purchased new, nearly 10 years into a Mustachian lifestyle.  Its purchase price was greater than any single year's worth of expenses during that time.
- Live music: the last couple years I've spent roughly the same on concerts (if I include transportation and beer) as I have on groceries.
- Beer: There are years when I've spent more on craft beer than I spent to heat and cool my home.

So while I spend a lot on these luxuries, these fun comparisons only work because I spend so *little* on the other side of the equation.

travelbug

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2012, 08:48:42 PM »
For us it's food, organic unprocessed, and travel. They are our vices. We love saving and excluding certain things from our budget that other people view as necessities so as we can indulge in what truly means something to us.
I think that is the essence of mustachianism; to take the time and figure out what actually makes YOU happy instead of following the massess to the mall.
C

kudy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2012, 10:47:44 PM »
Every few years I get the travel itch... but I am also a homebody, so I don't *have* to travel.

I like electronics, but in the last few years have realized the minimal value they add to my life - I will still buy them, but probably less frequently and frivolously as I've been known to do.

I probably spend the same amount of money on vegetable gardening as I might buying the produce from the store, but it's a hobby.

I give myself a restaurant/entertainment budget every month that sometimes seems unecessary, especially as I dissect the too-large portion sized and insane pricing at restaurants.  Tonight I grilled steaks & squash, as well as baked a few potatoes for the cost of $2.75 per serving - this is higher than the average per meal cost I hope to achieve at home, but is amazingly affordable when compared to a steak meal out.

dancedancekj

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2012, 12:10:19 AM »
Good food of all types, both raw ingredients (local grass fed beef) and eating out with friends, although that doesn't happen too often.

Gardening, both for materials (mulch, tools) as well as plants and seeds, although these could be construed as somewhat Mustachian (planting perennials instead of lawn saves me money and time in not mowing the lawn, raising some of my own food is cheaper)

I also happen to have a love of tropical fish, some of which can be fairly expensive to purchase. These are my biggest splurge, since keeping ornamental fish species is a pure leisure/vanity interest.

Donovan

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2012, 05:37:20 AM »
I used to be terrible about buying computer parts, but now that I've pretty much sworn off video games and run Linux as my main OS, I have absolutely no incentive to anymore.

These days, my random bits of spending mostly correlate to my far too many hobbies: I just bought some Thai Pads for boxing, I'm looking into some paint and spacer kits to revamp my bike this summer, and I will probably end up with some nice rock climbing and/or lifting shoes before long.  I've had to force myself into a very long "delayed purchasing" habit so that I won't end up with things that won't actually be much use to me.

fiveoh

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2012, 10:03:33 AM »

I'll start: I'm a video gamer (mostly PC) and an "aspiring" home theater enthusiast. I build my own gaming computers, and the most recent one I built in Nov 2011 was $1750 in parts. If I had told Alienware or CyberpowerPC or whoever else to 'build it for me' it would have easily cost me well over $3k.

I'm typing this post up from this PC, which is connected to a 60'' LCD TV about 6 feet away from me. I'm sitting on my couch. I currently have a small 5.1 surround sound system which I want to upgrade once I stop renting. (For the next 2 years I need to relocate for work twice, part of the Engineering development program I got hired into.)

When I purchase a home I plan on building a proper home theater, complete with 10 foot screen, projector, recliners, and proper sound system.

What pc games do you play?  I wasted tons of time on wow for about 2 years.  Currently I play a little SWTOR and BF3.  I've built all my own pcs as well but usually do them pretty cheap.  Intel or AMD?  :) 

Home theater is a weakness for me also.  I don’t have a room for a dedicated theater right now but have a pretty nice setup in my living room.(over 5k in the sound system if I'd paid retail but almost everything is used off ebay/audiogon/cl and I got some steep discounts from having friends working at retail electronics places) 

My other big thing is muscle cars.  I drive a 2011 mustang 5.0, had a pontiac g8 before that, an older 92 fox and I can't keep them stock.  It's a huge money pit but it happens every time.(at least my current car gets 19mpg average hah)  I've done a lot less with my current car and am trying to keep it in check but once I hit a certain financial milestone I plan to indulge on a supercharger for it.

I'm a member of a few car clubs/forums and have come to realize that most of the happiness I get is from the people and camaraderie associated with these and not really the cars themselves.  Similarly with the home theater, I enjoy watching movies with my family and friends.  This has helped curb my always wanting to spend on these things as much. 

That's about it for me as far as spending $$$ on frivolous things I know I shouldn't.   I like to reward myself and splurge sometimes.  I wish I could just not want these things like MMM seems to have gotten to but at this point in my life I'm not there yet.   

Apocalyptica602

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2012, 10:11:26 AM »
Haha, currently I play Diablo 3 mostly. I'm looking forward to Notch (the creator of Minecraft)'s new game 0x10c.

I played WoW for 3 years or so, I played SWTOR as well, and I actually made a profit on my character. (Bought the game for 60 bucks, payed for 1 month of subscription ~$15) completed every raid and got Battlemaster, sold my character for $300 on PlayerAuctions.com

Yeah, I really can't wait until I own a house and can build a proper home theater.

Currently I drive a 1999 Honda Prelude, very old, but not very used, just broke 70k miles on it (yes 70k, not 170k)

Once my college debt is paid off (currently paying ~1500 a month toward it) I'm going to start saving for a new (used) car.

My retirement accounts are maxed out (401k is, going to open a Roth IRA soon and max that out also) so I don't see the harm if in 2014 I splurge on a 2010 BMW 3 series or something similar.

But like I've said, save money where you can, so you can spend it on what is important to you.

smedleyb

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2012, 10:14:34 AM »
Shall I recount the vices of my youth? :)

Nowadays, I splurge on travel, and the wife splurges on clothes.  And she likes to travel, and I believe in dressing well, so there's perfect symmetry there too.

We're just getting smarter about the way we do both. 

fiveoh

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2012, 10:31:19 AM »
Haha, currently I play Diablo 3 mostly. I'm looking forward to Notch (the creator of Minecraft)'s new game 0x10c.

I played WoW for 3 years or so, I played SWTOR as well, and I actually made a profit on my character. (Bought the game for 60 bucks, payed for 1 month of subscription ~$15) completed every raid and got Battlemaster, sold my character for $300 on PlayerAuctions.com

Yeah, I really can't wait until I own a house and can build a proper home theater.

Currently I drive a 1999 Honda Prelude, very old, but not very used, just broke 70k miles on it (yes 70k, not 170k)

Once my college debt is paid off (currently paying ~1500 a month toward it) I'm going to start saving for a new (used) car.

My retirement accounts are maxed out (401k is, going to open a Roth IRA soon and max that out also) so I don't see the harm if in 2014 I splurge on a 2010 BMW 3 series or something similar.

But like I've said, save money where you can, so you can spend it on what is important to you.

I actually made over 2k selling chars on wow.  How is D3?  I never really played any of the previous diablo games... I am intriguied by the fact they let you sell in game items for real money.... ;) 

Apocalyptica602

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2012, 10:46:29 AM »

I actually made over 2k selling chars on wow.  How is D3?  I never really played any of the previous diablo games... I am intriguied by the fact they let you sell in game items for real money.... ;)

Haha, the RMAH (Real Money Auction House) Isn't in-game yet, expected release is 6/12/12 although more realistically it'll probably be the Blizzard trademark "Soon."

I never got into Diablo 1 and 2, I was all about EverQuest during those days. But I'm really enjoying Diablo 3. Based on the transaction rates I'm seeing from 'Gold Spammers' 1 million Diablo 3 gold is going for $15 or so.

And there are items that will realistically sell for 5-10 million. So provided the game economy doesn't get too inflated, I could see certain perfect-roll rares/legendaries selling for $50 or more.

I believe Blizzard put a cap of $250 on any single transaction, and of course they take a cut of it. I think 15-20%, which is steep but hey... you're making real money playing a video game.

sideways8

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2012, 01:10:23 PM »
I have five pets (two dogs, three cats) that I don't NEED but I love their smelly hairy selves quite a bit! I would just feel way too lonely without them- I'm the only human in my house.

I am taking violin lessons. Again, not needed but I've wanted to learn for a long time. It's kind of a long story about why I pay so much and drive so far for these lessons.

I use my car more than I really need to.

I have a big, fat mortgage on more house than I tehcnically need- 3 bed/2 bath... though I DO use all of the rooms and one of the bed/bath is for my business :). I have 1/3 acre, part of which is fenced in and that is just great for the doggies. My dream is to have this dang thing paid off WAAAAY before it's due.

kudy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2012, 08:59:26 PM »
Pretty angry at myself for incurring a $100 parking ticket today - not a splurge by a stupid mistake that cost a lot of money.

Osprey

« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2012, 08:05:12 AM »
The boyfriend and I play magic the gathering (trading card game) and it's a great social/intellectual activity but the way we do it is not cheap. Also, we like fancy food. :)

lauren_knows

• Pencil Stache
  • Happiness is a choice
    • The Crowdsourced FIRE simulator
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2012, 09:10:44 AM »

No offense, but Diablo 3 can be played on a pretty low-end computer. WTF are you doing building a $2k PC?  I just built a computer last month for $600 (reused my old case, old "data" hard drive, optical drive) and it will run most modern games on high graphics.    Though, to be honest, I'm waiting on Guild Wars 2, which will probably require lower end hardware too.

Taylor

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2012, 09:14:47 AM »
I snowboard, which is a very expensive sport. I don't buy the newest, coolest gear though. My Craigslist board works just fine. I buy a mid-level pass that gets me into all the places I want (Breckenridge, Keyston, A-Basin plus the requesite 10 days at Vail every year). It costs about $550 per year and more than pays for itself. So yes, an extravagence, but it's something I truly love to do.

Apocalyptica602

• Bristles
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2012, 09:22:12 AM »

No offense, but Diablo 3 can be played on a pretty low-end computer. WTF are you doing building a $2k PC?  I just built a computer last month for $600 (reused my old case, old "data" hard drive, optical drive) and it will run most modern games on high graphics.    Though, to be honest, I'm waiting on Guild Wars 2, which will probably require lower end hardware too.

Oh, I think you misunderstood me. I don't mean to imply I just built that computer to play Diablo 3. I originally built it for Skyrim, BF3, Metro 2033, Crysis 1,2. and will be playing Farcry 3 and so on.

Diablo 3 is just what is currently occupying the most of my time. It'll be overtaken by Guildwars 2 (Another beta weekend June 8th-10th, woo!).

I also try to build my computers with enough power to last 4-5 years and then rebuild from scratch (other than maybe the case and optical drives). My previous computer was built in 2006, ended up costing 2k also, but it still would run most of today's games at 720p and medium graphics for instance.

Do I really 'need' to run these games at maximum resolutions, AA, AF, etc? No. But I will say since I play PC games on a 60'' TV roughly 5-6 feet away, there is a stark difference between Ultra and Medium.

lauren_knows

• Pencil Stache
  • Happiness is a choice
    • The Crowdsourced FIRE simulator
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2012, 09:24:55 AM »
Do I really 'need' to run these games at maximum resolutions, AA, AF, etc? No. But I will say since I play PC games on a 60'' TV roughly 5-6 feet away, there is a stark difference between Ultra and Medium.

Fair enough. I didn't mean to bring in the mustacian face punches in a thread that obviously is meant to talk about such "wants". :)

Apocalyptica602

• Bristles
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2012, 09:31:13 AM »
I snowboard, which is a very expensive sport. I don't buy the newest, coolest gear though. My Craigslist board works just fine. I buy a mid-level pass that gets me into all the places I want (Breckenridge, Keyston, A-Basin plus the requesite 10 days at Vail every year). It costs about $550 per year and more than pays for itself. So yes, an extravagence, but it's something I truly love to do.

Ah, I can understand that. About 3-4 years ago I started my foray into skiing. After the initial bunny hill failures I started to realize how incredibly fun the snow sports were.

I'm starting to get much better now and I never invested in lavish trips or season passes as I only tend to go 2-3 times a season, due to cost and time constraints.

Although I see my snowboarding/skiing friends taking trips to Vail or Jackson Hole or even just here in the northeast up to Killington and I'm like WOW, definitely want to do that.

I'm going to need to tighten my belt extra hard in other places to maintain my 50% savings rate yet still be able to afford things like that.

Taylor

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2012, 09:53:33 AM »

Ah, I can understand that. About 3-4 years ago I started my foray into skiing. After the initial bunny hill failures I started to realize how incredibly fun the snow sports were.

I'm starting to get much better now and I never invested in lavish trips or season passes as I only tend to go 2-3 times a season, due to cost and time constraints.

Although I see my snowboarding/skiing friends taking trips to Vail or Jackson Hole or even just here in the northeast up to Killington and I'm like WOW, definitely want to do that.

I'm going to need to tighten my belt extra hard in other places to maintain my 50% savings rate yet still be able to afford things like that.

The only thing that actually makes it afforable for me is living close to all the resorts. Taking actual trips to these places (airfaire+lodging) would definitely break the bank. But being a 1-2 hour drive away makes me a lucky girl :)

I always pack my pockets with clif bars to avoid paying crazy prices for food on the mountain, and of course you must pack a flask full of Bailey's to sip on the lift.....

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2012, 10:06:49 AM »
Bonus points if it's homemade!

jpo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2012, 01:07:19 PM »
Spending money on our German Shepherd.

Spending money on a few pairs of new shoes this month, although they are sold by one of the companies I have stock in.

KittyWrestler

« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2012, 03:47:32 PM »
summer BBQ and rock band party!
Usually, 30 ppl show up.. I get all the stuff from Sam's club in bulk to cook on the grill, but still runs close to a week worth of grocery cost.. But I do value relationship with family and friends more than money.. plus I like to cook here and there.. so it's fun.

stashette

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2012, 06:53:59 AM »
Travel is my biggest splurge, because I like to go to exotic locales with expensive airfare.  I often have to pay more for airfare to get the most out of my vacation time due to the limited number of vacation days I have.  My costs on the ground though are pretty low though, and I think that if I were FI, I could decrease these costs a bit.

My other big luxury is my pet Pomeranian.  She had some serious vet bills this year, but since I can afford it, I have to treat her. 

Zoot Allures

• Stubble
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2012, 09:15:06 AM »
High-end bourbon.