Author Topic: Different carriers for homeowners/umbrella liability and car insurance?  (Read 2429 times)

Trudie

• Handlebar Stache
I did a mid-year review of all of our insurances a couple of weeks ago.  I compared our current carrier to a Costco/Ameriprise and also priced everything with GEICO.

On a total package basis, GEICO was the cheapest by about $80/year.  But auto insurance alone was $200 lower (but homeowners was higher.)  (Clean driving records, no dependents, Berkshire Hathaway discount.)

When I get my renewal rates I will check with GEICO again, but I'm thinking of buying my homeowners locally and going with GEICO for my umbrella and auto -- assuming I don't get screwed too badly on a multi-policy discount with my current carrier.  There were some things I didn't like about the homeowner's policies that GEICO quoted me and I have more confidence in my current company on that score.

My questions are:
1 - Who has experience -- good or bad -- unbundling their coverages.  Did it go all right?
2 - Who has experience with GEICO?  Good or bad?
3 - How important, really, is local service?  We had a significant hail claim seven years ago and still ended up calling the corporate office directly anyway.

woodnut

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Different carriers for homeowners/umbrella liability and car insurance?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2015, 11:44:35 AM »
I have home, auto, and umbrella with the same carrier.  I would probably not unbundle with the umbrella and just go with the best package deal.  Umbrella policies have requirements about minimum liability coverages on the primary insurance.  When bundled there are no worries about your primary insurance meeting ALL the requirements of your umbrella policy.  Plus in the event of an incident, all policies require timely notification.  Which means for a potential liability incident you would have to notify at least 2 insurance companies when unbundled.  In the event it gets to your umbrella policy there would be two adjusters and two sets of lawyers you would have to deal with.

3 - How important, really, is local service?  We had a significant hail claim seven years ago and still ended up calling the corporate office directly anyway.
I've had a mix of good and useless local reps.  The assistant is typically more valuable and helpful.  I think the value of local agents is not that high.

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2015, 02:06:19 PM »
I'm not sure if companies allow you to unbundle your umbrella coverage.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2015, 08:14:11 PM »
I have no experience with umbrella policies, but I have had Progressive auto insurance for about ten years (no local agent). I love them and have never found a rate worth switching for.

My homeowners insurance is with whoever I could find it cheapest.