Author Topic: Did I take a misstep by switching jobs? New employer is terrible  (Read 5265 times)

jamesbond007

• Pencil Stache
  • One penny at a time.
Did I take a misstep by switching jobs? New employer is terrible
« on: September 08, 2016, 03:48:30 PM »
Hello fellow mustachians,

I recently changed jobs. I left a perfectly awesome job for another for money. There was literally more I'm making now (25% more) compared to my past job. But the new employer terrible beyond any reasoning to the point where I am frustrated. Not sure what to do. It's been less than 6 months since I changed jobs. Is it good idea to change jobs again? Or maybe even go back to my past company? My past manager is still in touch and we have a very good relationship and they still value my contributions.

How do I deal with this situation? I tried sucking it up because with the 25% more money I can become FI quicker but I reached a point where I am starting to feel it;s not worth it to sell my soul.

jsalazar92

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Did I take a misstep by switching jobs? New employer is terrible
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2016, 03:57:48 PM »
I also changed from a  job i hated , to a job a hated but in a different way, to another one which i dreaded, to another one that frustrated me, LOL, always making 20% more with every switch..
so, if you can switch jobs again, why not.
i would say try not to go back, youll have regrets about not pushing yourself further i think..

oh wait, you did love your last job.. that changes it. 10 years in a good job vs 7.5 in a terrible one? no questions
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 03:59:20 PM by jsalazar92 »

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2016, 04:02:02 PM »
I once quit a job for a job with more money... went there... worked 5 days and realized:
* I didn't like the new folks
* I was going to be working a shit ton more hours
* ...and driving all over town

I just called up old boss and said "is my job still available?".  About a month later, I was back at my old desk and everything was back to normal.

Dezrah

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2016, 04:34:20 PM »
Not my proudest moment, but I also took a job where I was let go before the probation period was through.  It was definitely the best thing FOR ME as well though, because the boss/owner was an unbelievable jerk.  The guy had such a reputation that when I interviewed for my current job they just shrugged and nodded when I explained the situation.  Hopefully this is my last real job, but if I had to look again I'll be much wiser and more careful about looking at who I'd be working for.

Go back to your old job and chalk this up as a learning experience.  Maybe they'll give you a slight raise for your trouble.

catccc

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2016, 08:12:00 AM »
I would try to get my old job back.  You are on good terms, people make mistakes.  Good luck!  If going back to your old job doesn't work out, I might try and find something else.  You can take the months employed off of your resume and pretend it never happened.  You can tell the whole story if asked.  I did this years ago, leaving an employer after 3 months.  Best decision ever, and it never affected my ability to land a job.

TheAnonOne

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2016, 12:46:21 PM »
Just start looking again... you have been here for 6 months so it's not going to look super bad, and job hopping isn't really an issue anymore anyway.

I have jumped jobs faster than that, and in hindsight, moving jobs for more money is the sole reason I can even think about FIRE.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2016, 12:57:44 PM »
Try to move forward, not backward.

LouLou

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2016, 06:42:41 AM »
Job hopping is only a problem if you do it repeatedly.

I say if you're miserable, it's time to leave. Look for a new job, and pay careful attention when you're interviewing. An interview is a two way street - you are evaluating them as much as they are evaluating you.

ltt

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2016, 06:45:21 AM »
Life is too short to be working at a place that you really don't like. 

Mr. Llama

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2016, 07:35:41 AM »
My take on this as an employer is to be totally open about this with your previous manager. Tell them that you're not really happy in your new job, but you felt like you could not make progress financially in the old job.

If I had a truly good employee leave because we were not paying them enough, and it was not an easily replaceable position I would definitely consider a 5-10% bump in pay to keep them on board. Finding and training new employees is a pain in the ass, and a truly good company is not always looking for the cheapest option.

radram

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2016, 07:39:09 AM »
I would not even think twice about looking elsewhere.  6 months is a long time to stick it out.  I would absolutely add it to my resume, as I see it as a strength that you stayed so long, not a weakness.

Since you are still on good terms with your old boss, I would simply let him/her know you would be willing to come back, and ask what they could do for you.  I would make sure the old boss knew you were looking elsewhere as well.  If they valued your work like you say, they might not let you go so easily this time and might increase their offer to get you back.

Keep us posted.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2016, 09:21:51 AM »
Yes, look for another job - even at your old company. Look all over the place!

However DON'T DON'T DON'T go for a pay cut. Go for another increase.

Go at this hard, for at least 6 months.

meghan88

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2016, 05:59:19 PM »
I'd look around and try to get back to the old place, without appearing desperate ... sometimes (as was obviously the case with your move to your current employer) the devil you know is better than the devil you don't know.  Try to get more money; maybe they can promote you?  Life is too short to spend it at a place you hate.  Maybe take up a side-gig to make up the income?

jamesbond007

• Pencil Stache
  • One penny at a time.
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2016, 10:39:09 AM »
Thanks for the practical advice. It will be 6 months in early November. I will suck it up for another 2 months. I will start looking in mid October to match the timeline. I will keep you posted.

momcpa

• Stubble
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2016, 11:29:20 AM »
I left a job once for what I've since referred to as the 'greed factor'.....they were willing to pay me a lot more money.  It was not a good move.  Other people had warned me that the place that was hiring me had a reputation about one of their owners being VERY difficult to work for.  I poo-poo'd it and said that I never had problems with bosses before.  I WAS WRONG.  I stayed 9 months.  I left there for a job that was going to pay me LESS.  I've worked my way up the pay scale, and now make a very comfortable wage.  And I've been here a LONG time. 

I guess I'm saying that sometimes a big increase can backfire, and a cut in pay can work out really well.  Problem is, YOU JUST NEVER KNOW. 

jamesbond007

• Pencil Stache
  • One penny at a time.
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2016, 02:29:25 PM »
Yes. I figured it out the hard way too. This is my first job change and I learned a very valuable lesson. Money is not everything. I could've stayed in my past company and it only would've pushed my FI date by a few years but looking from my perspective now, it is just not worth the stress and mental strain.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!