Author Topic: Did I make the right decision to turn down this job?  (Read 7838 times)

latetotheparty1977

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Did I make the right decision to turn down this job?
« on: May 08, 2015, 08:03:30 AM »
Hi Mustachians,
I've had a tough situation recently. I had a company approach me about a job, but this morning I turned the offer down. Now I'm wondering if I should go back and say I need more time, or accept it (don't think it would be a problem). The main issue, for me, is that the new job does not offer work from home. But is that a big enough reason? What would you do?

Current job pros:
-Ease/comfort - Doing what I've been doing forever, 15 years.
-Schedule - I am in the office only 9-12:30 every day. The rest of the day is work from home but I usually have finished everything anyway.
-It's very lax; no one is calling me after I go home.
-Commute - less than 20 minutes.
-Very nice coworkers.

Current job cons:
-Sick of doing what I've been doing forever; would like to branch out.
-Lower pay ($45K)
-High healthcare premium ($480 a month for 2 people)
-Industry that I'm not crazy about
-Less stable industry; possibility of layoffs, although not likely
-Will need to start traveling again soon (I was pregnant last year and have gotten out of most travel). Internationally and domestically at least 4-6 times a year. Will make continuing to breastfeed extremely difficult.
-Very small company with little room to move around.

New job pros:
-Doing something very different/CHANGE, although it could be more of a challenge than I realize.
-New people, new industry
-More money but not a lot more ($52K)
-More stable industry
-Larger company with more room for moving around
-Lower healthcare costs ($230/month for 2 people but has high deductible, and I might have another child soon.)
-Next to no travel.

New job cons:
-Requires being in the office 8.75 hours a day - no work from home.
-Much further away: 40 minute commute (34 miles vs 12 miles currently)
-Possibility I do not like the new role or will require long adjustment period
-Uncertain about work environment, though probably it is fine.

thd7t

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Did I make the right decision to turn down this job?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2015, 08:09:33 AM »
The new job sounds like a bum deal.  You made the right call.  You'd double your commute, probably work more hours and get marginally higher pay.  It looks like a 10k net change over all, but you'd lose at least 3 hours of your time per week (if they let you work from home like your current job).  That's about four extra working weeks per year, just driving.  In addition, you have some good seniority at your current position that probably protects you from some of the stability issues.

Changing jobs to chase salary is a good idea, but this would cost a lot of quality of life.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2015, 08:17:47 AM »
It sounds to me like it might be worth looking for a 3rd job. I think you did right passing up the new job. Re-read "the true cost of commuting" if you want extra reassurance about that choice. But it sounds like your interest and wages are stagnant at your current job. Maybe put out some feelers and see what else you can find.

latetotheparty1977

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2015, 08:19:09 AM »
I do agree that it isn't enough $ to justify lengthening commute and no work from home. It's the other stuff that is bugging me...it's a rare thing if a good company comes to you and wants to hire you, vs. having to apply and sell yourself, at least in my world. I would love to do something different.
Ah, well. Any other feedback I'd love to hear.

thd7t

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2015, 08:23:39 AM »
I do agree that it isn't enough $ to justify lengthening commute and no work from home. It's the other stuff that is bugging me...it's a rare thing if a good company comes to you and wants to hire you, vs. having to apply and sell yourself, at least in my world. I would love to do something different.
This company coming to you is a signal that you are valuable to similar companies.  Is there somewhere you'd like to work in an ideal scenario?  If there are some other companies around, it might be time to try some cold calls.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2015, 08:23:47 AM »

Did you negotiate pay or benefits with the second company?

latetotheparty1977

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2015, 08:26:13 AM »
Yes, they went up from $50K (I asked for $53K, maybe should have asked for more but don't know if it would have made a difference.) But they would not negotiate on work from home, because they are building a new team there and "need everyone there."

Snow White

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2015, 08:27:24 AM »
It is time to look for another job that excites you but has some of the benefits of your current job.  Don't increase your commute or commit to much more time in the office.  You aren't under the gun to accept anything that comes your way so be picky and find what you want! 

You did the right thing turning this one down.  Good luck with your search.

latetotheparty1977

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2015, 08:56:04 AM »
This company coming to you is a signal that you are valuable to similar companies.  Is there somewhere you'd like to work in an ideal scenario?  If there are some other companies around, it might be time to try some cold calls.

Thank you. I am going to step up my search. Before, all I did was update my LinkedIn profile, which led to this inquiry -- so who knows what I might find when I actually apply...

WhatIsFrugalAfterAll

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2015, 10:18:46 AM »
May we ask what kind of position do you work in?

Current job seems great if you only need to work half days.  If I wanted to switch jobs I would want a substantial pay jump (double?)...  but no idea what the feasible pay range is for your position. Check http://www.bls.gov/bls/blswage.htm or similar and find your mean industry pay, you should be in the top 25% with 15 years of experience...

dodojojo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2015, 10:47:15 AM »
Out of curiosity, what job pays 45K but requires both domestic and international travel?  I'm thinking of maybe non-profit international service/development?  When I think of jobs that require international travel--they tend to be high pay/power.

jrhampt

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2015, 12:06:32 PM »
I'm not sure you could pay me enough money anymore to take a job where I have to go into the office 8 hours a day.  As a matter of fact, I may have been spoiled for any job that requires me to go into the office more than once or twice a year.  Maybe the next job you look for should be 100% remote.  Working from home is awesome.

latetotheparty1977

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2015, 09:45:30 PM »
Out of curiosity, what job pays 45K but requires both domestic and international travel?  I'm thinking of maybe non-profit international service/development?  When I think of jobs that require international travel--they tend to be high pay/power.

Managing editor at a trade publication. We also put on trade shows.

latetotheparty1977

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2015, 09:48:11 PM »
May we ask what kind of position do you work in?

Current job seems great if you only need to work half days.  If I wanted to switch jobs I would want a substantial pay jump (double?)...  but no idea what the feasible pay range is for your position. Check http://www.bls.gov/bls/blswage.htm or similar and find your mean industry pay, you should be in the top 25% with 15 years of experience...

It's not even half days. That's what is so great. I was in the top 1% in my first 7 years, but moved to a low COL area (where I am from) where pay is far less.

Emg03063

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2015, 12:08:08 AM »
Yes, you made the right decision.  If you want more cash, it souds like you have plenty of time for a side gig.

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2015, 02:53:45 AM »
Your current gig sounds super sweet. If you're tired of the work add hobbies or side hustles you are interested in.  Commute and face time are not worth what you'd be giving up.

latetotheparty1977

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2015, 08:23:45 PM »
Ah, thanks. I feel better knowing you all agree! The weather has turned amazing, and I am so happy I will be able to enjoy it.

Axecleaver

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2015, 09:30:05 AM »
$45k for a 17 1/2 hour work week is a pretty sweet deal. At 50 weeks a year, with two weeks paid vacation, that's $51/h. Your new job would need to pay you closer to 100k for you to have a similar pay rate.

Regarding health insurance, especially if you are actively having children, make sure to compare apples to apples. High deductible plans are only a good deal if you don' t have many doctor visits - definitely not your situation. Your current plan is probably lower out of pocket over the course of a year.

I think the first thing you need to figure out is, what's more important? More money or more free time? The answer to that question will lead you down the path to your next logical step.

latetotheparty1977

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2015, 03:17:24 PM »
Well, I got called into my boss's boss's office this morning and got news I would be getting the max annual raise, 3%. I've been enjoying the sunshine with my kid all afternoon. I think I temporarily lost my sanity when I questioned my decision! Good news is, the company is open to inquiring about another job down the line if my situation changes. Thanks again, smart people!

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2015, 05:23:09 PM »
Congrats on the raise!

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2015, 06:37:18 PM »
Keep in mind if you aren't developing yourself professionally you will slowly become less and less marketable.

This may or may not be a problem.

GarythePunster

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2015, 07:05:00 PM »
Agree with others you made the right move. Focus now on networking -- making connections with people on a professional basis, within the industries which are you familiar with. (And, as someone in PR, I know there are editors for trade publications everywhere. :-) )  You are clearly in enough demand that something will come your way, though it make take a few months. At your stage in life, workplace culture is going to be an important factor once you sort through the salary and commute issues. Good luck!

latetotheparty1977

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2015, 08:53:55 AM »
Keep in mind if you aren't developing yourself professionally you will slowly become less and less marketable.

This may or may not be a problem.

My current job I also did not apply for -- they found me, and I turned it down the first time. They came back six months later and that time I took it. To the person who said editors are everywhere, it is not so. It seems there is a dearth of people with my skills in my area. My workplace often has a difficult time filling positions.

(In the longer term, I want to quit altogether and stay at home. But first my husband needs a full-time job. He is going on two years without full-time work as his background is extremely specialized in a not-exactly-in-demand scientific field.)

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!