Author Topic: Diced veggies...can I still use them today...??  (Read 5317 times)

EconDiva

• Handlebar Stache
Diced veggies...can I still use them today...??
« on: July 26, 2017, 10:58:16 AM »
Diced a huge container of tomatoes, onions and green pepper intending to make chili weeks ago.

Then got lazy and realized I wasn't going to make chili so I put the container immediately in the freezer and went on vacation for 2 weeks.  A few days after returning I took them out and put them in the fridge to thaw. 

That was 10 days ago O.O

Well guess what?  I'm ready to make chili.  Today darnit.  I was ready to throw out the container of diced veggies and buy/dice new ones (I really don't take risks with food) but upon pulling the container out didn't notice any funny smells or visible "issues".  I touched the pieces with a form and they were still firm.  The container was also sitting in a section of the fridge known for freezing our fresh vegetables.

So...can I use them?  Or could there be invisible bacteria I'm not seeing that could make me sick or something?
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 11:00:58 AM by EconDiva »

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Diced veggies...can I still use them today...??
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2017, 11:00:48 AM »
When in doubt throw it out.

EconDiva

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2017, 11:02:19 AM »
When in doubt throw it out.

That's the rule I usually use...

I edited my original post...I put the container in the freezer immediately after dicing.  Then took the container out and put immediately in the fridge 10 days ago.  So they went from the freezer to the fridge 10 days ago.

Don't risk it....?

PoutineLover

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2017, 11:04:05 AM »
Eat a bite and see how it tastes. It's not meat, so I wouldn't be as worried. The texture, smell and taste are pretty good indications if it's still good to eat, and you will be cooking it so that helps.

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2017, 11:15:55 AM »
You can't always go by taste and smell. (Look at all those people who keep getting sick from Chipotle's food) I would be on the safe side especially if she's feeding friends and family...children maybe. Don't forget that bacteria that might put middle-years people in the hospital can actually kill the very old and the very young. You or I might feel so sick we wish we would die, but grandma and the ankle-biters could actually die.

If I get off this thread to go research it I might not be able to get back on. But there should be good Internet answers to a google question about how long to safely keep defrosted raw vegetables in the refrigerator. And it's just tomatoes, onions, and green peppers. It won't break the bank to go buy some fresh vegetables and make the chili with them, rather than taking a chance.

Catbert

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2017, 11:25:10 AM »
Eat a bite and see how it tastes. It's not meat, so I wouldn't be as worried. The texture, smell and taste are pretty good indications if it's still good to eat, and you will be cooking it so that helps.

You're making chili, right?  Cooking the heck out of the veggie.  Wouldn't bother at all if they tasted okay.

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2017, 11:35:28 AM »
Tomatoes are pretty acidic so take a bit longer to go bad (totally my own experience/opinion).

That's basically the fixings for salsa, and according to StillTasty, they consider homemade salsa safe for 5-7 days in the fridge.

If it was frozen, it likely took it at least 2-3 days to thaw completely (and likely was still freezy-ish for longer) in the fridge once you put it back in there.

I'd use it personally. As it was frozen, the cell structure might be a bit more broken down from the water in the cells bursting them (makes veggies a bit more mushy) but as you're cooking chili, that doesn't even matter.

My test is if it smells/feels okay, then I may take a few bites and wait an hour or two to see if I feel sick. I only do this with things I'm 90% sure are okay. With veggies, I'd check to see if they felt slimy, but in this case, it sounds like it would be okay.

Note: I would not risk it with dairy products or meats, but veggies tend to stay good for way longer and as long as you practiced safe prep and storage (I have a veggies only cutting board, disinfect knives after every use, etc)  they likely are good, and boiling them will help if you're still concerned.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 11:39:23 AM by Frankies Girl »

DarkandStormy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2017, 11:36:35 AM »
You're probably fine.  Freezing definitely helped.  Look at them, maybe poke/feel them to see if the texture/firmness has changed at all.  We hate wasting food so if it still looks, smells, and feels normal then we use it.  Plus you're going to cook it, right? Based on the chili I assume they will be heated in some fashion which will help even more.  Just give them a good rinse.  My $.02.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2017, 12:27:00 PM »
If it's not slimy or smelly, and you are going to be cooking it thoroughly in chili, then it should be fine.

EconDiva

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2017, 01:03:00 PM »
You're probably fine.  Freezing definitely helped.  Look at them, maybe poke/feel them to see if the texture/firmness has changed at all.  We hate wasting food so if it still looks, smells, and feels normal then we use it.  Plus you're going to cook it, right? Based on the chili I assume they will be heated in some fashion which will help even more.  Just give them a good rinse.  My $.02.

The texture/firmness hasn't changed.  They tasted fine to me.  I will be sauteeing (spelling?) them on the stove top first, them adding them to a crock pot of beans as it's a vegetarian chili...

frugaliknowit

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2017, 01:03:47 PM »
Probably safe, but the taste is probably "sub-optimal".  I would toss it.

EconDiva

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2017, 01:11:30 PM »

I did consider this as well...

I'd hate to cook a sub optimal entire huge crock pot full of chilli.

I don't know...I'm kinda leaning towards tossing now :( :(

Catbert

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2017, 03:13:34 PM »

But, but...you said they tasted fine to you. 

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2017, 03:32:48 PM »
Cook it down anyway and see how it tastes at the end? But plan something else for dinner? If okay, eat it tomorrow?

EconDiva

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2017, 04:34:12 PM »

But, but...you said they tasted fine to you.

Well yeah, the tiny bite I had was fine.  But I'm no chef so I'm not sure once the whole pot is done and actually cooked how it will taste....

(?)

EconDiva

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2017, 04:34:53 PM »
Cook it down anyway and see how it tastes at the end? But plan something else for dinner? If okay, eat it tomorrow?

This sounds like a plan...

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2017, 05:58:41 PM »
10 days, and they taste OK?  Meh.  I'd throw them in the chili and enjoy it.

Johnez

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2017, 08:41:34 PM »
Frozen and they're being thrown in chili? I say go for it. I throw random odds and ends anyway half the time to get em out the fridge and avoid tossing half the time anyway.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2017, 07:06:16 AM »
If you dont see any mold or fungus, or even a lot of browning, and it tasted fine, I think you are ok.

I just ensure a strong boil for at least 5 minutes.  I do this with other leftovers, too, that are in the fridge up to 7 days.

The reason is the acidity.  Also, I used to work at a fresh fruit salad company, and even melons and fresh fruit cut in very very clean conditions, (no freezing) will hold for up to 10 days.  Even then the mold that fruit gets is not generally the dangerous type. 

Caveat -- I assume everyone in the home is a strong healthy adult.  Don't do this with the elderly, cancer patients, very young, etc.