Author Topic: Detailing My Car  (Read 6497 times)

OSUBearCub

• Bristles
  • Tackling student loan debt/not saving dryer lint.
Detailing My Car
« on: January 03, 2015, 08:41:02 AM »
Help me avoid spending $99 on interior car detailing.  I want to get another 2-3 years out of this 2004 Chrysler Pacifica and I am starting to notice how dirty the interior has become.

I'm planning on doing it myself.  I'll run it through the $3 autowash that provides free vacuuming.  (My vacuum wont reach because I live in an apartment complex and the exterior needs a hose-down anyway...also our hoses are coin-op.)  I've got the usual assortment of household cleaners, bucket, sponge, and rags.

Anyone have effective, easy tips for the interior work?

PtboEliz

• Stubble
Re: Detailing My Car
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2015, 10:02:50 AM »
Hey OSU, I'd get an old toothbrush to scrub in
small crack areas, then after sitting a minute
chase with some Q-Tips
to get out the grunge. A hand vac is also handy.
You can buy the interior wax stuff though it's not
necc and probably chalk of chemicals. Have fun! :)

zataks

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2015, 10:08:15 AM »
Start big and go small. 
Vacuum it out then I like to start with a damp terry cloth or micro fiber towel and wipe everything down except for the glass.
After that, if you're detail oriented, go for this toothbrush/Q-tip recommended above.
There are all sorts of cleaners and products for all different types of interior materials.  Some probably work better than others; most require repeated use.  So unless you need to clean upholstery (and even then) I'm a big fan of [mild] soap and water.

I'm not certain auto glass cleaner works any better than windex/ammonia/vinegar or any variety of homebrew glass cleaning solutions.

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2015, 10:16:19 AM »
ArmorAll works well for all your car's interior surfaces other than windows. It gives things a nice shine and you don't have to worry about chemicals damaging your car. You can use Windex for the windows. I think it's like 7.99 for a spray bottle of ArmorAll and you'll only use a little bit.

+1 for the toothbrush idea, they are great cleaning utensils.

Rezdent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2015, 12:20:07 PM »
If you're really OCD - ish (or just doing a one time deep clean) you can use pipe cleaners in the cracks where the qtips can't reach.  If you don't have pipe cleaners then a toothpick with a bit of paper towel works too.
I've found this little trick makes the difference between looking clean and looking like new.

DollarBill

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2015, 01:49:06 PM »
I love detailing my vehicles but I'm a bit OCD :). For plastics and leather get a magic eraser sponge it will get it super clean because it gets down into all of the tinny cracks of the surface. For clothe seats it's just cleaning. I even do the engine compartment.
I only use Maguire's Quick detailer for the paint, Armorall for tires and pastic (if you want it extra shinny put it on by hand), glass cleaner.

I never made this but saw it online:
Homemade ArmorAll
Ingredients
•1 cup of any Baby Oil
•⅓ cup of water
•2-3 drops of Dawn dish soap
•Spray Bottle

NICE!

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2015, 01:53:01 PM »
How do ya'll get the junk out between the seats and center console/other areas that you can't reach with a regular car vacuum (or other vac)?

OSUBearCub

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2015, 03:40:45 PM »
How do ya'll get the junk out between the seats and center console/other areas that you can't reach with a regular car vacuum (or other vac)?

Excellent question!

DollarBill

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2015, 04:50:32 PM »
Adjust seat fwd vacuum then move it to the rear then vacuum. A lot of the rear sears lift up/flip up. If not reach what you can and ignore the rest.

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2015, 05:29:00 PM »

Excellent question!

If this doesn't work:

then start applying this to the fasteners holding in the seats:

NICE!

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2015, 01:42:35 AM »
When I return home to my car in several months I'll try the vacuum extension again, Jack. It didn't seem to get everything in the past. I guess you're right - I could detach the seat! Are they usually easy to put back into place?

Joan-eh: yes, it is humorous to see high NW people discuss this stuff, but that's because of the consumption culture. If you think about it, it makes sense that we keep things nice and try not to blow hundreds of dollars on professional detailing.

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2015, 08:15:22 AM »
I guess you're right - I could detach the seat! Are they usually easy to put back into place?

I was mostly joking about that part. I wouldn't do it if your seats included any electrical connections, and especially wouldn't do it if they have side-impact airbags.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2015, 09:20:44 AM »
I guess you're right - I could detach the seat! Are they usually easy to put back into place?

I was mostly joking about that part. I wouldn't do it if your seats included any electrical connections, and especially wouldn't do it if they have side-impact airbags.
Emphasis mine.  I had a '96 Volvo with side airbags, and when I had to replace the seatbelt, things got a bit hair-raising due to how interconnected all that is.  Be careful, and follow directions.  In order to not freak out the airbag system, I had to disconnect a certain fuse while messing with everything, and then replace it when I was done.  I disconnected the battery while I was working too just to be sure.

OSUBearCub

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2015, 09:29:15 AM »
Joan-eh: yes, it is humorous to see high NW people discuss this stuff, but that's because of the consumption culture. If you think about it, it makes sense that we keep things nice and try not to blow hundreds of dollars on professional detailing.

I'm not high net worth yet.  Not making a car payment for another two-three years will certainly help though! :-)

Greg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2015, 09:49:03 AM »
I cheat and use hand cleaner wipes for a lot of cleaning jobs.  You can add water if they dry out.  Otherwise a damp soapy cloth (hand towel size) or this cloth and a bucket of water will work wonders, it will even collect the crud between seats, and carpet stains.  I wouldn't recommend ArmorAll or similar coatings, unless you live where sun damage is a thing.