Author Topic: DEPRESSION and concussion, should disability insurance ask for police report  (Read 1784 times)

Victoria_18

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
hit by a truck that ran through a red light.

having DEPRESSION and concussion after the car accident. unable to work. Filed a disability claim to my disability Insurance company (it is NOT the at-fault driver's auto insurance).  The disability insurance asked for a police report of the car accident. Have no idea what this is for. Should I give a police report to the disability insurance company?

MoseyingAlong

• Bristles
Why not give it to them if you have it? Just curious why you're hesitating.

Without reading all the pages of your policy, I'd guess they are looking for a cause and a start date. And maybe to determine if there is a basis to sue the other driver.

Sounds like a rough time. Hope you're recovering.

NoStacheOhio

• Handlebar Stache
hit by a truck that ran through a red light.

having DEPRESSION and concussion after the car accident. unable to work. Filed a disability claim to my disability Insurance company (it is NOT the at-fault driver's auto insurance).  The disability insurance asked for a police report of the car accident. Have no idea what this is for. Should I give a police report to the disability insurance company?

Yes you should. They may seek money directly from the at-fault driver's insurance. Regardless, they should still pay your claim as usual. You may need to answer some questions for them, but it's mostly between them and the other insurance company. Assuming they approve the disability, you should get the payments without a ton of additional work.

More importantly, are you getting adequate medical treatment? Make sure your health insurance company knows it's the result of an accident where the other driver was at fault, because they'll make the other insurance company pay for it too. Again, should be minimal work for you, but they'll need the report and maybe to answer some questions.

At the end of the day, this shouldn't cost you personally any money at all. However, be aware that all policies have coverage limits, and exceeding them means going after the driver directly for reimbursement, which is often more trouble than it's worth. You may also be eligible for a cash settlement. Often, the insurance company will simply make an offer without your contacting a lawyer. Just make sure you inform them of your injury.

Laura33

• Magnum Stache
First, I'm sorry.  I hope you are getting the treatment you need.

Second, check your policy.  There are two reasons they might want the report:

1.  Most likely, they are going to go after the other insurance company to recover the costs of your treatment from them.  Even my health insurer recently sent me a questionnaire about DS's broken foot, wanting to know if it was caused by an accident and if so who was at fault (ummm, mother nature?  A/k/a ice/mud on a playground?  Yes, let's sue the school for daring to let the kids play.  But that's another rant).

2.  There might be limits on your policy that mean that it doesn't cover disability caused by other people.  In that case, the insurer might deny coverage, and you would have to make a claim on the other driver's insurance company to recover the costs of your treatment from them.

It is probably the first one; I would hope the insurance companies would fight it out amongst themselves and you wouldn't need to be directly involved.  That's the way it should work, at least.  But in any event, you need to provide the police report, because I guarantee you that your policy requires you to cooperate with them on any claims and provide any information they request, so if you don't send the report when they ask for it, they could use that refusal as an excuse to deny your claim.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!