Author Topic: delving a bit deeper into investments  (Read 1502 times)


  • 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • *
  • Posts: 19
delving a bit deeper into investments
« on: June 02, 2013, 06:38:51 PM »
I was wondering if seasoned mustachians can help me figure a few things out

1) I was told someone who works for investment side of Vanguard, that a financial advisor is good for (figuring out) taxes.  For a newbie like me, is this a wise decision?

2) I am a bit fussy on what type of funds should be in taxed/non taxed portfolios, here are my own current breakdowns

Roth: VTSAX 54%; VDMIX 18%; VBSIX 18%
T-IRA: VTSAX 70%; VGSLX 15%; VBTLX 15%
rolling portfolio: VTSAX 70%; VGSIX 15%; VBSIX 15%

The only thing I have in my roth that does not have another equivalent elsewhere is the VDMIX.

Thanks so much for your help!


  • Walrus Stache
  • *******
  • Posts: 8275
  • Age: 63
  • Location: The Villages, Florida
Re: delving a bit deeper into investments
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2013, 06:47:36 PM »
For taxes, you want a CPA or an Enrolled Agent, not a "financial advisor". That's an unregulated term, by the way. My pet cats can be financial advisors. CFPs (Certified Financial Planners) have some tax training, but not nearly the level of most CPAs or EAs. You will find lots of do-it-yourselfers here, though.