Author Topic: Delta Airlines, etc gift cards, trip protection and cancellations  (Read 1612 times)

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
Delta Airlines, etc gift cards, trip protection and cancellations
« on: September 10, 2016, 06:46:23 PM »
Hey all,

So I booked several tickets between myself, my wife and my in-laws, for flights to Hawaii for an upcoming destination wedding/vacation. For some of the tickets (Delta, pretty much), I had gift cards that I applied to cover part of the ticket costs and then paid the rest with my Chase Sapphire.

I was curious how it works if we end up needing to cancel (we are traveling in late Dec/early Jan and my wife is due Feb 28th - it's still a while from her due date but you never know) particularly for the flights. I understand with Chase Sapphire, I should be covered for a refund up to whatever I charged to the card. But what about the portion of the Delta tickets I paid for with gift cards? Will Delta credit that amount back to me in the form of credits or gift cards to use at a later time? And will they only credit me the portion I used to pay in gift cards specifically? Or will they issue a credit for the full amount? If they issue a credit in the full amount, what then happens with the Chase Sapphire trip protection (do they still refund me the amount I charged to the card, regardless of what happens with Delta?)?

TIA!

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
Re: Delta Airlines, etc gift cards, trip protection and cancellations
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2016, 07:08:22 PM »
So I called Delta and the rep mentioned that in this case, they would waive any change fees and issue a credit of the full value of the ticket good for up to a year from the original travel date. As far as Chase Sapphire trip protection, I'm not quite sure what would happen but it seems like since they're 'detached' Chase would just credit me back the amount I charged on the card. I just realized I should have asked if they could issue a non-expiring credit only for the portion of the ticket I paid for with the GC... from the sounds of it though, they probably wouldn't do that.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!