Author Topic: Decision, Decision  (Read 3928 times)

Insanity

  • Handlebar Stache
  • *****
  • Posts: 1026
Decision, Decision
« on: April 09, 2014, 06:42:06 PM »
Okay, the last post came off entirely wrong, so I'll try it this way.

Two offers on the table:
A: Currently is a 3 month contract with renegotiation set after that (either hire or continue as contractor and re-negotiate the rate).  Work is commutable by a 45 minute train ride (initially 50-70% but can be less).  Work type is probably more in-line with where I want to be now. Can work with my current contract and if it gets to be too much, I can drop my current contract cause the work isn't that interesting.   Rate works out to be less when factoring benefits than B, but not by all that much (when not factoring in bonus of B).

B:  FTE.   Lots of issues to start out with - first there was confusion over FTE vs Contract to hire, the initial offer was rejected really before it came (I had notified the recruiter I was going to do consulting).  Then there's the start date.  They have an orientation on the 21st that they want me in for.  Which I could probably do, but I can't officially start work there until after that things with my current contract clear up. Basically, these seem to be HR type problems.  The commute is by car anywhere from 45 min - 1.5 hours.  Work initially seems to be similar to my current contract, but could expand to be more like A.  Valued everything (including bonus) and essentially the rate of A needs to go up another 20% to beat it.  Telecommuting and flexing hours is an option, but probably not at the start.  Cost of commuting (outside of stress) is roughly the same.

Both offers have been accepted at one point (A is currently a counter offer because of B -- I had signed the contract with A and told B before an initial offer was made, then I accepted B because I really didn't want a bidding war).

Thoughts?


MDM

  • Walrus Stache
  • *******
  • Posts: 9413
Re: Decision, Decision
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 07:49:24 PM »
Although you have done well enough describing the quantitative aspects of these jobs, it appears they are "close enough" that qualitative aspects will tip the scales.  E.g., how much do you like your co-workers? ...your boss? ...etc.?

As it is difficult to portray qualitative feelings in a blog post, it will be hard for readers to interpret correctly.  Have you ever tried this: http://www.lifehacker.com.au/2012/07/decision-making-with-a-coin-toss-its-not-what-you-think/?

Insanity

  • Handlebar Stache
  • *****
  • Posts: 1026
Re: Decision, Decision
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2014, 08:00:36 PM »
Although you have done well enough describing the quantitative aspects of these jobs, it appears they are "close enough" that qualitative aspects will tip the scales.  E.g., how much do you like your co-workers? ...your boss? ...etc.?

As it is difficult to portray qualitative feelings in a blog post, it will be hard for readers to interpret correctly.  Have you ever tried this: http://www.lifehacker.com.au/2012/07/decision-making-with-a-coin-toss-its-not-what-you-think/?

Unfortunately, the qualitative aspects are unknowns as they are new jobs.  So, I have no clue.  I do know that I seemed to interact well with the team members of B.  The commute (which I drove tonight because I had to go there) back from B is going to be at best a tough drive.  Now, I know it is hard to compare since I went there for only 15 minutes (fingerprinting) and it is a long drive to begin with.

I honestly have been going back and forth on this for four days.



Frankies Girl

  • Magnum Stache
  • ******
  • Posts: 2955
  • Age: 81
  • Location: The laboratory
  • Typical Ghoul Next Door
Re: Decision, Decision
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2014, 05:01:43 AM »
What else does A have going for it other than less confusion? Personally, I'd be torn - I really don't like companies that can't keep stuff straight and organized, so B would really bother me (sign of how their day to day operations would be like?) but I also tend to go towards security, which B has going for it.

So it it was me, I'd have a slight bias toward choosing A, as it sounds like it would have more flexibility and work would be interesting and also due to the fact that the confusion and HR issues would make me think that the company wouldn't be a super place to work for, but for the benefits and safety, I'd choose B.

So if you're playing it safe, go with B. If you want more interesting and flexibility, go with A. That's my completely useless 2 anyway.

Insanity

  • Handlebar Stache
  • *****
  • Posts: 1026
Re: Decision, Decision
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2014, 08:34:06 AM »
What else does A have going for it other than less confusion? Personally, I'd be torn - I really don't like companies that can't keep stuff straight and organized, so B would really bother me (sign of how their day to day operations would be like?) but I also tend to go towards security, which B has going for it.

So it it was me, I'd have a slight bias toward choosing A, as it sounds like it would have more flexibility and work would be interesting and also due to the fact that the confusion and HR issues would make me think that the company wouldn't be a super place to work for, but for the benefits and safety, I'd choose B.

So if you're playing it safe, go with B. If you want more interesting and flexibility, go with A. That's my completely useless 2 anyway.

That is one of the reasons why I am torn. 

there others:
1) Company A is still doing consulting and I'm not sure that I want to be doing that any more.  I like being part of a team and will be with team B.  Granted, A is a long term project (5 years, they just want to space it out for budget reasons in three month increments) so I could become part of that team.

2) Company B is a full time position and I have a chronic illness.  I haven't needed to use any disability or extended time off, but recent lab works.

So, it still comes down to playing it safe vs not.

Sigh.
I'll have to try that coin flip trick :)

DoubleDown

  • Handlebar Stache
  • *****
  • Posts: 1989
Re: Decision, Decision
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2014, 09:19:39 AM »
I don't know which job is best for you to take, but there are several decision-making tools or methods you might google (besides the coin toss!) that could definitely help. One, for example, is to figuratively choose Job A, then see how comfortable you are with that choice. Are you regretting it? Are you thinking maybe you made the wrong choice? Then choose Job B instead, and go through the same exercise. The choice with less regret afterwards is likely the better choice. Here's a book with different decision-making techniques, I'll bet many of them are on wikipidia or something:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Thinkers-Toolkit-Powerful-Techniques/dp/0812928083

By the way, I didn't think your original post on the topic came off wrong, I don't think you deserved any flak for it.

Insanity

  • Handlebar Stache
  • *****
  • Posts: 1026
Re: Decision, Decision
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2014, 10:47:00 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions.  Things are, well, still up in the air, and a bit more interesting...

Position A: I wind up signing the updated SoW due to the way things have worked with B (more on that).  The day after signing it, the consulting agency I am sub-contracting for tells me that it is part time with possible of full time and that I shouldn't leave my existing contract (this goes against everything I was told at the beginning - led to believe I'd need 50%-70% on site at the beginning, has turned into 100% on site just only part time).  Turns out this is actually a 10-12 week part time contract that will most likely be extended after this period.  They are expecting 20 hours be billed and while they can approve more, they will run out of funding for the contract (though getting more will not be an issue given importance of project).

Position B:  The head of HR and I talked on Tuesday.  The background check still had not cleared (going on a week+) and he asked if I was required to give 2 weeks.  I said I am not technically required to, but I would not feel right given less. 


I am still working the main contract I have, but my goal was to get out of that contract soon.  The work just isn't there for a full time cycle either right now and the rate is too low and I have no plan on renewing the contract given the type of work.  The rate for A is too low and it is part time, but if the contract is extended then I could theoretically justify asking for much more (I'm sure the offered amount is lower).

My fear is that B is looking into someone else that is capable of starting sooner.  I know the hiring manager wanted me, but given some of the statements, I'm wondering if that position will be pulled out.  Granted if it is pulled out because either (a) I didn't provide the income verification they wanted or (b) wasn't willing to screw my existing client, then I won't feel too bad about it.

I was hoping to use A to get out of my existing client.  I can't afford to be on site 20 hours a week with A and work my existing client.  The time just isn't there and the rate is no where near enough to support full time (they would need to double it).


Insanity

  • Handlebar Stache
  • *****
  • Posts: 1026
Re: Decision, Decision
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2014, 07:55:18 AM »
Well, part of the decision was made.  Unfortunately it was made for me.  Apparently, Position B pulled their offer claiming employment dates didn't match up with their background check and that I couldn't start in the period of time that they wanted.  I'm not sure I understand the second part of that as no one would leave until the background check had cleared and all I wanted was to give two to three weeks as deserved.  I offered to do the orientation when they wanted and even start ramping up, but I couldn't do full time.  The date thing was probably one of two things - I either was rushing to get the app in and made a mistake without reviewing it (it was filled in after the offer) or it was because of a contract to hire position where I noted the contract to hire portion on the side (I don't remember the contract agency nor do I feel like splitting out two positions - one for four months and one for nine months - it just looks a lot worse to me).  My guess is the head of HR knew about that on that Tuesday when he had the call with me and when I said I hadn't resigned yet he took that opportunity.  The recruiter I used is also furious with them regarding this whole process after all the effort I made to comply with their process and the fact they made a counter offer.

So, now I am even more glad I signed that SoW for the part time work, I just need to find away to (a) make it more full time and (b) get the rate where I want it to be.


MDM

  • Walrus Stache
  • *******
  • Posts: 9413
Re: Decision, Decision
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2014, 10:29:57 AM »
Maybe not so unfortunate in the long run.  Assuming any company would likely show its best behavior when trying to get you to join, working at company B could have been not so great....