Author Topic: Deciding between career options.... for the 2nd time this year  (Read 3109 times)

Blahhhh456

  • 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • *
  • Posts: 90
A bit of background before my question: Back in January 2014, I was emotionally and physically done with my job. I had been doing the same thing for 5 years with slight pay increases and no opportunity to move up, as I was as high as I could go in my Team. I was not being challenged in any way, shape or form for a few years. So I started to apply for others jobs. Within that same week of applying, I had a job interview and was offered a position that same day. After a bit of back and forth with the new company, I was finally ready to tell my boss that I was resigning. During that call with my boss, she had asked if my current company could do a counter-offer. Having not been through this before and I am very friendly with my boss, I agreed. Well my boss came back with a 40% pay increase and I was able to change to a different Team, which would allow me to advance in my career. (note, I have been asking to switch to the other team for years...) Since this offer was higher in pay than the other company was offering I decided to just stay with my company. Although the other company did say they were willing to go up higher in the company for approval to increase my salary, but it would not be more than what my current company was offering. So another factor on why I stayed with my company.

Over the past six months things have been fine with my company, however, I just received contact from the other company that they are still really interested in hiring me. I apparently "wowed" them so much that they have still not filled their position. They are willing to bump up their previous offer by 29% just to get me in the door, which is 13% higher than I make now.

So after all that, my question is do I go for it with this new company. I would be in my same field but a completely different career path (i.e. I will not cross paths with anyone from my current company). It will certainly challenge me much more that I have been, which is what is interesting me so much. However, I have some reservations (mostly what I am struggling with) as my current company did all that work to keep me about 6 months ago. (guilt, I guess is what it is called). Any one have any thoughts or been in the same situation that could lend me some direction? Thanks,

labrat

  • 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • *
  • Posts: 92
  • Location: USA
  • Lady Mustachian-in-training!
Re: Deciding between career options.... for the 2nd time this year
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2014, 03:10:12 PM »
Wow - so the new company sounds like they REALLY want you, and it's a great opportunity.  IMHO if the new position/company is where you'd like to be, then go for it.  Unless you're under contract with your current company, you are free to do as you wish.  That being said, try to leave on good terms if you do take the new position.  You never know when your paths may cross again.

Northerly

  • 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • *
  • Posts: 86
Re: Deciding between career options.... for the 2nd time this year
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2014, 05:50:45 PM »
The only thing your current company did is finally offer you what you were worth (that is not a favor on their part). You happen to be worth more now, so they are now underpaying you. You might talk with your current company about that, and again give them the opportunity to correct your pay if you really want to stay.

cbgg

  • Stubble
  • **
  • Posts: 192
  • Location: Vancouver, BC
Re: Deciding between career options.... for the 2nd time this year
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2014, 05:57:50 PM »
I say this an HR person who has seen this a million times:

You should quit and take the new job.  The primary thing is that you will have new challenges that you are excited about.  That will do more for your future earning potential than anything else.  Secondly, they are offering you more money.  Third, your company needs to learn not to counter offer to keep bored or disillusioned employees.  The fit is wrong, it's time for your to go.

bikebum

  • Pencil Stache
  • ****
  • Posts: 562
  • Location: Nor Cal
Re: Deciding between career options.... for the 2nd time this year
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2014, 06:11:13 PM »
I would probably have some guilt too, but as an unbiased outsider I will say you shouldn't let that stop you from switching companies if that is what you want. You could offer to work with your current boss to get things wrapped up for when you leave, so you don't leave anything hanging.

Blahhhh456

  • 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • *
  • Posts: 90
Re: Deciding between career options.... for the 2nd time this year
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2014, 07:10:35 PM »
Wow - so the new company sounds like they REALLY want you, and it's a great opportunity.  IMHO if the new position/company is where you'd like to be, then go for it.  Unless you're under contract with your current company, you are free to do as you wish.  That being said, try to leave on good terms if you do take the new position.  You never know when your paths may cross again.

Thanks Labrat: Not under contract, just feel guilty because I am traveling to bring in new business next week and I am to be the lead person. I feel guilty that I will be giving my notice as soon as I return. This is where I believe that it will cause issues.

The only thing your current company did is finally offer you what you were worth (that is not a favor on their part). You happen to be worth more now, so they are now underpaying you. You might talk with your current company about that, and again give them the opportunity to correct your pay if you really want to stay.

Northerly: I appreciate that point of view. Although, this time when I resign, I believe I will be terminated immediately rather than given another opportunity for a counter. And at this point I don't want another counter.
I say this an HR person who has seen this a million times:

You should quit and take the new job.  The primary thing is that you will have new challenges that you are excited about.  That will do more for your future earning potential than anything else.  Secondly, they are offering you more money.  Third, your company needs to learn not to counter offer to keep bored or disillusioned employees.  The fit is wrong, it's time for your to go.


Thanks cbgg! I am actually the first person in 5 years they have offered a counter offer to within my team. Every one else that resigned had been given a pat on the back and a thanks for their time. So I am sure this will leave a bit of a bad taste in their mouths.

I would probably have some guilt too, but as an unbiased outsider I will say you shouldn't let that stop you from switching companies if that is what you want. You could offer to work with your current boss to get things wrapped up for when you leave, so you don't leave anything hanging.

Thanks bikebum! I appreciate your response and will offer to work with current boss if I release my resignation.

arebelspy

  • Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
  • *****
  • Posts: 28007
  • Age: -999
  • Location: Seattle, WA
Re: Deciding between career options.... for the 2nd time this year
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2014, 08:46:21 AM »
What'd you end up deciding?
We are two former teachers who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and are now settled with two kids.
If you want to know more about us, or how we did that, or see lots of pictures, this Business Insider profile tells our story pretty well.
We (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out our Now page to see what we're up to currently.