Author Topic: Deciding between Capital One Venture Rewards and Barclaycard Arrival Plus  (Read 4134 times)

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
https://www.nerdwallet.com/card-details/card-name/Capital-One-Venture-Rewards
https://www.nerdwallet.com/card-details/card-name/Barclaycard-Arrival-MasterCard#cardholder-reviews

They both give $400 worth of "travel" credit which we will use for a 4-5 night hotel (which may mean getting a second card, though) but I can't decide between the two.  Has anyone used either?

Vanguards and Lentils

• Bristles
Re: Deciding between Capital One Venture Rewards and Barclaycard Arrival Plus
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2016, 04:30:36 PM »
They look pretty equivalent. I assume you'd downgrade the card before the annual fee hits, since there are 2% cashback cards with no annual fee (like the citi double cash), which is better than 2 miles/$ since miles can only be redeemed on travel purchases.

The barclaycard has a 5% bonus when you redeem which the capital one card doesn't. So assuming you get the $400 bonus, you would want to first redeem about $394, get an extra .05*$394= 19.70, then redeem that last $25.70 (since the minimum redemption amount is $25). So you'd end up about $20 ahead of the capital one card.

Another factor is which card would be easier to hit $4000 in spending with. The capital one card is visa, the other is mastercard. If you are a renter, I can suggest paying your landlord with radpad, which charges a 1.99% fee with mastercard, and that fee is more than negated by the 2 miles/$.

use2betrix

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2016, 05:34:37 PM »
I have the Barclay for my "permanent" card and love it. I use it for everything when I don't have a separate card that I'm using for a sign up rewards deal. I've had it a couple years.

Schaefer Light

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2016, 06:09:07 AM »
I've used both, and I think they're pretty much equal.  If you're just going to keep the card for a year, then I'd lean towards the Barclaycard because it gives you a 5% bonus when you redeem your rewards.  If you're going to keep the card for more than a year, then the Capital One card starts to look more attractive due to the lower annual fee.  I wouldn't spend too much time debating it as they're both good cards and just about every business accepts both MasterCard and Visa.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2016, 01:44:43 PM »
I've done both.  I like the Barclay's better.

But it's worth doing both.  :)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

use2betrix

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2016, 02:05:22 PM »
Thanks for the link btw. Just ordered the capital one to use now that I'm finishing on my citi sign up rewards card.

GizmoTX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2016, 02:06:18 PM »
We've done both, too, & like the Barclays better. Capital One is very stingy with credit limits & doesn't do requests to raise them.