Author Topic: Debt Free in 2014  (Read 2524 times)

Krum312

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Debt Free in 2014
« on: November 16, 2013, 05:04:30 PM »
Freeing myself from all debts within the next year should be a very feasible task.

I have never had a student loan, a car payment, or a mortgage. I like my freedom.

I made terrible financial decisions in the past. All of my debt is in collection accounts from years ago.

I have moved so to different homes and cities, and after nine years with the same phone number, it has recently changed. I do not get any calls or letters from people asking for the money I may owe them. The last time I checked my terrible credit score, it did not include account numbers of previous accounts. I do not know how to get the information I need to pay off my debts.

I have read about the statute of limitations. Friends have told me that if the debt is seven years old, don't worry about it. I have heard about negotiating with debt collectors, but I do not know the best way to go about doing this.

I would like to taken advantage of a VA Home loan in a few years. My largest debt is a medical bill around 10k. Had I understood my VA medical benefits at the time, I would not have this debt. It is almost six years old. All of my debt might be around 15-20k.

My income widely varies each week, but it is much higher than my low cost of living. I would like to take care of this old debt as quickly as I can. Should I plan on writing letters or e-mails to make sure they have proof of what I owe, and so I can get documentation of any negotiations?

Empire Business

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Debt Free in 2014
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2013, 05:13:17 PM »
Third party services usually do not include all the complete information on your credit report.  Contact each credit reporting agency directly and ask them to mail your credit report to you.  (Even the online version from the credit reporting agency can be incomplete.)  These are free to you if you have not requested them already in the past year.  However, the phone menus are increasingly labyrinthian, so you might have to spring for stamps to send them a letter with your identifying information and request for your credit report.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!