Author Topic: Dealing with your own proclivity for nonsense...  (Read 6238 times)

psychomoustache

• Bristles
  • American expat in France
Dealing with your own proclivity for nonsense...
« on: May 03, 2013, 02:06:11 AM »
Here's what's resisting change for me (been here since February)... my "nonsense bullshit spending' that is my own stupid fault that needs to be slapped out of me.... or something??
Or am I asking for trouble and showing my masochistic tendencies... 

Here we go:
Resistant to all efforts to stop spending nonsense in order of the nonsense.

1. Coke Zero.
I love luv luv this crap. I realize that I have got myself down to one can a day, and STILL that's 80 centimes a day, or 5,60€ a week or 22,40€ a month. Like DUH. I won't keep it in the house, but this stuff is resistant to my best intentions. Yes, of course that makes no sense and it's my own fault. I know.

2. Lollipops.
WHAT? Yes, lollipops, and gummy bears, crap like that. Not a lot, I don't have a weight problem or anything, but it is complete nonsense. A little bag here and there...40 centimes. Maybe two or three times a week. OK maybe not so terrible.

3. Hair stuff.
Have long curly crazy hair that makes life difficult. I give myself a budget of course, but my hair is a greedy beast that eats hair stuff (the more expensive the better of course) at two-hour intervals.

Otherwise I find for myself that my biggest obstacle can be fatigue - just being tired, which makes me disorganized, which makes me not plan for food on trips, etc. and end up buying crap. OR - being fatigued and not having it in me to deal with the bike. This has happened a bit lately - stress can knock me out pretty badly. And yeah, I've been stressed (see my journal if this is remotely interesting to you).

SO -what's "resisting" *your* best intentions... and how are you trying to tweak it? Advice is fine, but y'know, there's a point where I just have to assume responsibility and stop the kvetching. Je le sais.

EK

• Pencil Stache
    • Happily Enough
Re: Dealing with your own proclivity for nonsense...
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2013, 06:31:59 AM »
For me, it's my plants and my pets.  Since I already have them, I feel obliged to spend the money to take very nice care of them.  And really... I think that's not so bad.  It's a lot of spending, but taking good care of things (especially living things) is a priority for me, so I feel it's worth it.  I used to WAY overspend on clothes and personal care products, but I finally just stopped going to those stores and unsubscribed from all the junk emails.  If I don't see it, I'm not tempted to buy it!

My husband has your exact same problem- candy and soda.  He's mostly got it beat just by not keeping it at home and not going into stores that he know will tempt him to make bad decisions!  It's hard though, and skipping all his treats sometimes leaves him feeling deprived.

matchewed

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2013, 07:35:43 AM »
As a former smoker I can sympathize with what you are saying. It is hard to get rid of habits. I'd try habit replacement.

As for the tiredness leading to laziness I just build routine. But on the topic of what is my weakness, I'd have to say Samoas Girl Scout cookies. No other brand will do. I'm fortunate that it is a seasonal insanity but I will devour a box in what feels like a few minutes.

atlantalee

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2013, 07:53:07 AM »
Wine.  I used to drink 4-5 bottles a week (shared with husband or friends), which when added up at an average of $10/bottle was a $40-$50/week habit.  Oy.  I switched to the Bota Box, which definitely saved some money, but didn't change the habit of drinking most nights.  So after a few too many hangovers in December, I took the month of January off from drinking as a personal challenge.  I now only drink 2-3 nights a week, and I don't consume nearly as much as I used to.

I highly recommend issuing yourself a personal challenge of not consuming Coke or candy for a month.  You just keep telling yourself that you can have as much as you want when the challenge is over.  You might find that you don't crave it nearly as much as you did before.

MDash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2013, 08:14:45 AM »
Yeah my big problem was fancy beer.  Big hoppy yummy ones.  Maybe a coffee porter.  Mmmmm.... Huh?  What are we talking about?

Oh right, I was spending too much drinking 2 of these things a day.  I really enjoyed them, for a long long time, until all of a sudden I realized I wasn't getting much pleasure.  Why?  Because drinking had become a habit and not a treat.  So I went cold turkey for a month, and then realized that I can have around 2-3 a week, or sometimes none for a few weeks, and get extreme happiness from them, instead of just constant OK happiness from them.  I save money, waistline, and enjoy the yummy beers even more now, all while strangely enough drinking much less. 

really just this:  http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2012/02/13/understand-the-marginal-utility-of-booze-and-drugs/

But MMM's observations on booze and drugs certainly applies to sugar, since most studies show that sugar products and even sugar substitutes like coke zero really are just acting on your brain like an addictive drug. 

Cecil

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2013, 08:28:31 AM »
Wine.  I used to drink 4-5 bottles a week (shared with husband or friends), which when added up at an average of $10/bottle was a $40-$50/week habit. 

Ever consider making your own? There are places you can go that will make wine for you for around $3-5/bottle, and all you have to do is bottle it when it's done. Takes half an hour.

ace1224

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2013, 08:48:04 AM »
wine and being tired.

i really really like my wine, and i try to limit it to 1-2 glasses a day.  some days call for 3 after a particularly slammed day at work.  i love love love my job, but some days....sheesh. 

as for being tired, after working and then taking the kiddo to his appointments (speech therapy and tutoring) sometimes i don't feel like making the dinner i already planned out.  most of the time i power through, or i just eat grilled cheese.  i'm so lazy that if i can make it into the house i'm not leaving again, the danger zone for me is takeout on the way home. 

psychomoustache

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2013, 08:58:51 AM »
Yeah - the being tired, especially when it's dark and cold in the winter - makes me very complainypants wimpy.

Or coming home from work at 8pm, knowing I have to be up at 6 (yeah but I love my work) and not being able to "deal" with hard-boiling some lousy eggs for the next day's lunch...

Alas sometimes it really is the little things though (a beer, a lollypop, though beer isn't my thing personally, it's COKE...) that kind of help things keep on keeping on - and yeah that's an excuse... and so be it.

psychomoustache

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2013, 09:03:35 AM »
For me, it's my plants and my pets.  Since I already have them, I feel obliged to spend the money to take very nice care of them.  And really... I think that's not so bad.  It's a lot of spending, but taking good care of things (especially living things) is a priority for me, so I feel it's worth it.  I used to WAY overspend on clothes and personal care products, but I finally just stopped going to those stores and unsubscribed from all the junk emails.  If I don't see it, I'm not tempted to buy it!

My husband has your exact same problem- candy and soda.  He's mostly got it beat just by not keeping it at home and not going into stores that he know will tempt him to make bad decisions!  It's hard though, and skipping all his treats sometimes leaves him feeling deprived.

I Just LOVE my cat, (could you tell) and I love to garden. Not the "good" mustachian gardening, but Flowers. But I have enough perennials, and I try to stay away from garden stores. Just maintaining the garden feels good, so that's good.

I'm going to the States next summer and already dreaming about Hires Root Beer and Cream Soda. Diet (uh-huh) but still. Can't wait.

KulshanGirl

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2013, 10:31:19 AM »
1.  Starbucks Grande Vanilla Soy Lattes.  I have come a looong way with this bad habit.  I make my coffee at home and bring it in a mug every day to work, or drink the free (awful) work coffee.  On weekends though, I still sometimes get one because hey, it's the weekend and I live BLOCKS from the Starbucks and I have a long day of yardwork and I'm doing so good.  Right?  Right?  Punch self in the face. 

2.  New gluten free things that they stick on endcaps at the store to taunt me.  I don't need those things.  I don't need those things.  I don't nee ...OMG Annies has gluten free gingerbread bunnies I NEED THOSE!  Fail. 

3.  Gorgeous vegetable starts. Surely I have room for that 4-pack of zucchini starts and that specialty mint plant and WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH ME!?

4.  Amazon.com.  I thought I was over this problem, but mint.com is totally calling me out on this.  To be fair, I'm buying things that are IN the budget sort of, but then I need to add in things to get the free shipping and then I am no longer sticking to the budget. 

So, I will take this as a challenge.  NO amazon.com.  NO plant starts other than the usual tomatos.  NO gluten free inpulse buys.  I still get my occasional latte though, dammit.  I am not ready for that.  :)  This is a great thread.

tmac

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2013, 10:53:08 AM »
1. Driving my car. I have all the best excuses. I just picked up fenders for my bike, though, so I'm hoping my enthusiasm will increase once I get them installed. I'm still walking to do very close errands, and don't get in the car all that much, but I know I could do much better.

2. Fast food. I'd thought our family's eating-out habit was all about other people, but now that we're following an eating-out budget and don't do it very often, I find myself in the drive-through at least once a week. By myself.

3. Both of the above contribute to my lack of fitness. Intellectually, I know how important it is. I enjoy running, biking, swimming, and other activities once I'm doing them, but it's so easy to not do them. I enjoy healthy food, but it's so easy to slide. I'm generally healthy, but not what anyone would call fit. And I want to be.

But today, I will eat my healthy lunch and go for a walk before the kids get home from school. One day at a time.

psychomoustache

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2013, 10:55:01 AM »
But MMM's observations on booze and drugs certainly applies to sugar, since most studies show that sugar products and even sugar substitutes like coke zero really are just acting on your brain like an addictive drug.

I know. I know I know. Believe me. But, but, but...
Today Psychomoustache did not indulge her Coke Addiction. ODAAT, y'know ?

FI@2022Jem

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2013, 03:55:06 PM »
KulshanGirl,
I feel you on amazon.com- my solution has been subscribe and save.  I only get my shipment every other month but I have it set up so everything ships the same day (free shipping) and if you are subscribed to more than 5 items per delivery you save 15% (15% off amazon.com's cheapest prices!).  Anyway, not to enable you... I only do it for the things I get anyway and are budgeted (facewash, multivitamin, probiotics, fish oil, toothpaste, etc.) and I can always skip a shipment or switch around products if I don't need something yet.

As for me:
1. I don't bike.  I want to... seems like such a great idea... I'm getting there.  I do walk for errands (not as often as I could though).  My thinking is with the weather warming up my motivation may rise..?  I promise when it does happen (it will happen) it'll be a cheapy craigslist find until I actually figure out what I'm doing.

2. Also, skittles.  I started a new job and for some reason my resistance to the vending machine has evaporated.  Usually I can make a bag last over 2 shifts but still.  I should at least buy them at the store on sale and bring into the office but I should just quit it cold turkey instead and stick to *actual fruit*

so yeah, typing that out sucks.  I will make an effort to improve with these and anyone is welcome to call me out on it. 

KulshanGirl

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2013, 04:08:00 PM »
Jennie, I used to do subscibe and save, but I've found cheaper options on many of the items on there locally, if you can believe it.  I do get my vitamins on Amazon, but not often enough to do S&S.  Then, I do need them, and I need $12 more worth of something, so I have a wish list of other small items to round it off with, that I do sort of need, but not really and not immediately.  I was proud that I've got my orders to always be around $25 and not higher.  Now I am getting irritated that they are as HIGH as $25.  I just can't win.  Hehe. 

Amazon is the devil, but really helpful for a full time workin' single mom.  For example, I got a new bike recently but needed a bike lock.  Do not have time to go and shop around, so I can go online and punch a button and it appears on my doorstep, at a great price, days later.  Magic!  Hehe.

But for the next month, NO MAGIC FOR ME. 

For your candy fix, I recommend a vat of Costco Jelly Bellies.  I got one for Christmas and just ran out.  Or, maybe they have skittles at Costco.