Author Topic: Dealing with a Lost Holiday Gift  (Read 3522 times)

mochila

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Dealing with a Lost Holiday Gift
« on: January 01, 2015, 10:19:52 PM »
I'm not sure this is an appropriate question for this forum, but I figured you smart, resourceful folks would know more than what my Googling was able to teach me.

A relative sent me a rather expensive and irreplaceable holiday gift via USPS Priority Mail. The tracking log states that the package was delivered to me 12/22, but I have not received it. I live alone, so there's no one in the house to take it in withoit telling. In case it shows up, my relative is not telling me what's in it, but she has been suggesting, via email and phone almost every day, that I go to the post office to guilt the workers, because she's convinced that one of them stole the package.

Instead, I have:
1) asked my neighbors if one of them received it accidentally (no—I even checked the trash bins behind our houses for remnants of a package addressed to me, in case I missed a neighbor)
2) spoken to my postman (he recalls no such package for me, but adds that the USPS had additional help whose job was to deliver only the parcels)
3) checked at my local post office
4) as well as my town's main post office
5) where I've asked the Postmaster to search for it, and
6) opened an investigation via 1-800-ASK-USPS, which will retrace the package's entire itinerary to catch, e.g., whether misdeliveries or thefts are common on this route.

Depending on the result, I may be filing a police report. I feel awful for my relative, and Priority Mail parcels are starting to haunt my dreams.

Is there anything else I need to do? Thanks in advance.

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
Re: Dealing with a Lost Holiday Gift
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2015, 10:36:08 PM »
I will never, ever EVER send anything important by USPS priority mail. I had a check mailed to me by priority 2-day that should have taken 5 days maximum if sent by regular first class mail. It got lost, and when calling to report it and ask for them to track it (since there WAS a tracking number) they basically said, "yeah, there's a tracking number, but we still don't know where the package is, sorry about that... the number is basically meaningless." and nothing else could be done. They refused to honor their own policies, wouldn't even refund the mailing cost, and the sender had to put a stop payment on the check (which they refused to pay for) and it was a HUGE mess.

The check/package showed up TWO MONTHS LATER with no explanation (again, this was a priority 2-day... and there was an investigation and complain lodged about it). Assholes!

So yeah, you opened an investigation (which will probably lead nowhere, because they really don't care) and hopefully the item is not really irreplaceable and your relative got it insured and it was real property that can be reimbursed through their insurance, otherwise, you're screwed. Or it may show up in a few months. You have no other options as the USPS do not care and will not be held accountable for their lousy package handling.

Lesson here: use UPS or FedEx for anything remotely valuable as they'll actually know what the hell happened to the package and reimburse you in the very unlikely chance they misplace said package. They have infinitely superior tracking than the USPS and much better customer service and track record for making their deliveries.

Self-employed-swami

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2015, 10:48:35 PM »
I don't have any suggestions, as what you've already done seems like the best suggestions.  I hope your package is found though.

Credaholic

• Stubble
    • Credaholic
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2015, 11:34:12 PM »
I have been plagued by this at my new address, and basically you are SOL. For some reason 3 of our USPS deliveries have gone missing since moving in April. Our many FedEx and UPS deliveries have never gone missing. I was convinced that the postman was stealing them since I work from home and answer the door for deliveries, but then a neighbor told me that there was an ongoing problem with some package thieves driving through the neighborhood. I'm not totally convinced, since it's always my small USPS packages that go missing (enjoy that $4 part for fixing my food processor!) but in the end it doesn't matter who is stealing from me, it just sucks.

I've opened claims with USPS and the are USeless. It's basically pointless. The only thing I'd suggest that will still probably not help is calling USPS and asking them to check the GPS coordinates from when the delivery was scanned as delivered. They can tell you almost exactly where the postman was when he scanned the box delivered. On the off chance that you weren't just robbed, maybe you can figure out where it was erroneously delivered. But you were probably just holiday robbed - sorry!!

Side Note on FedEx: I recently ordered a part for my laptop and accidentally threw an extra 1 into the house address. Despite the fact that the house didn't exist, FedEx marked as delivered instead of returning to sender. They weren't able to help me. I knocked on the doors down the street that were the closest thing to the address to no avail. I didn't make more of a fuss since it was my fault, but FedEx offered no explanation of where it possibly could have been delivered.

mochila

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2015, 08:04:13 PM »
basically you are SOL.

I am bracing myself for this very likely likelihood. Sigh. Thanks, everyone, for the commiserations. I feel lucky to have never, at least to my knowledge, lost a package, though I have been selling books on Amazon for years, using only lowly Media Mail. The postal workers know me, but they lost my very special (yeah, yeah, like all the others) gift, anyhow.