Author Topic: Dealing with a horrible tenant  (Read 13763 times)

FIRE47

• Bristles
Dealing with a horrible tenant
« on: May 01, 2016, 06:48:20 AM »
I am not the landlord but what I believe to be collateral damage in a dispute between the landlord and the other tenants in this 2 unit property.

There may be no good solution to this problem and this may be more of just venting my frustrations but if anyone has any advice I'm all ears.

The landlord has been great and addresses all concerns immediately which is why this is also sad for them as they are a young family I believe to be of modest means. Thr unit is great and the plan was to stay here around another year before buying.

Things were never great with our "neighbours" in the unit above as they like to smoke like chimneys inside  (not allowed)and fight loudly until all hours keeping us up including one instance where one occupants' possessions were thrown into the lawn and mostly broken.

We are on good terms with the landlord and sometimes talk - recently we found out in passing that the abo e tenants are not paying rent and eviction proceedings are ongoing, however things seem to have taken a turn for the worst and they perhaps could be "professional tenants" as they were supposed to be gone today but the latest news it could be 1-2 more months if they chose to make thing difficult for the landlord.

This past week is where things have gone from "not great but ok we can deal with this as were saving lots of money and it's another year at most" to very bad as I believe they are deliberately trying to cost the landlord money in any way possible including driving us from the unit. The heat is on full blast and I noticed all their windows were open, (they control the thermostat) on a very hot day, forcing us to do the same. They have also begun playing loud music virtually around the clock with what seems to be a subwoofer which was never the case before.

we have the router in our unit and access to the breakers and water so could theoretically but a sudden end to this nonsense.

The issue is they don't appear to work and if they are already facing eviction starting a conflict with desperate people with nothing to lose would seem a losing proposition. Drugs (and not just the green stuff) also appear to be part of the picture and there are often unsavoury characters lingering around so it would seem moving from collateral to being directly targeted could actually make things worse or even dangerous. I am often away for work so I would not want my dw to be here alone once I go down that path.

I gave it a few days to see if it some kind of one off drug induced bender and to see if they were going to vacate the unit today anyways, however no such luck this is going on a week and they are still here.

My plan is currently as of this morning: formally complain to the landlord, contact the applicable police line, arrange accommodations for my dw and myself with family if it doesn't stop in 1-2 days.

VaCPA

• Bristles
Re: Dealing with a horrible tenant
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2016, 07:20:10 AM »
I don't think there's much you can do about the bad tenants. And I agree provoking them is a bad idea. Eviction can be difficult especially in tenant friendly jurisdictions. Sounds like you need to look out for your family and move even if the negatively affects the landlord.

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2016, 07:23:43 AM »
I'm sorry about the situation.

I would say the only thing(s) you can do are to discretely videotape what you're seeing and report any and every violation of ordinances you can.  Make sure you also have license plate numbers, ect, and offer to testify on behalf of the landlord.

Your evaluation of them being professional dirtbags is probably accurate.  I hope the landlord has hired a tenant eviction service, dealing with the nuances and deadlines of an eviction can be challenging depending on the jurisdiction and in some markets there are professional companies that do nothing but outsource the handling of evictions.

FIRE47

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2016, 07:57:17 AM »
I'm sorry about the situation.

I would say the only thing(s) you can do are to discretely videotape what you're seeing and report any and every violation of ordinances you can.  Make sure you also have license plate numbers, ect, and offer to testify on behalf of the landlord.

Your evaluation of them being professional dirtbags is probably accurate.  I hope the landlord has hired a tenant eviction service, dealing with the nuances and deadlines of an eviction can be challenging depending on the jurisdiction and in some markets there are professional companies that do nothing but outsource the handling of evictions.

I've been brainstorming some ideas this morning, I was thinking of proposing a deal with the landlord whereby I pay reduced say rent ( say 200-300 out of a monthly 1200)  to cover gas and added a costs to stay with family 30 mins out of town until the problem tenants are gone, a good portion of which they will recoup as utilities are inclusive. Of course if they aren't gone in a month or so I would have to give actual notice at that point.

We are not signed to a lease and are month to month. I also think they will not be able to get anyone else in the unit anyways with these people there and this deal could keep us in the unit long term and some money coming in for them of which the other unit is paying none. Seems like it could work for everyone.

What would anyone's thoughts be on this proposal as a landlord?

My only other option at this point is to give notice tbh (the music, frantic pacing and pounding and yelling which went from the evening until 7am just began again) I'm convinced the female tenant is in some sort of drug induced state at this point

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2016, 08:02:39 AM »
If the police had reason to put them in jail, perhaps for drug offences, your problems would be more or less over no?  So if you have evidence of criminal offences, and particularly if you have reason to suspect them of dealing rather than just using, I would inform on them.

icemodeled

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2016, 08:22:55 AM »
Being a past landlord, theres very little that can be done unfortunately. Not sure if the eviction has been filed but I hope so otherwise it will be an even longer process. Here, once eviction was filed in court it was 1 month total to get them out - never had an issue except one we forcefully had to remove their items and have the sheriff remove them.

Its a tough situation for you and the landlord.. its sad people are like this. Best thing for you is try not to get involved with them, only speak to the landlord.. again probably little they can do. We always encouraged our tenants to call the police if they were overly concerned about something, this case sounds like it. Again, better to not get into it with them though as if could be a dangerous move, who knows what they may do in retaliation against you.

your proposal sounds good, if we had the same issue, we would rather get lower rent then you to move altogether especially if your a decent tenant. I think its a good idea until the eviction is done and they are gone.

Tjat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2016, 08:42:39 AM »
Agreed. You need to temporarily move out.. if the landlord won't accept reduced rent, stop paying him altogether until the problem is resolved. You'd still be his best tenant. I'd take all your valuables with you and periodically drive by the unit and call the cops on the tenants regularly. I'd also be tempted to turn off all utilities, but they may break into your place and wreck it (course they may anyways).

Fishindude

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2016, 08:51:54 AM »
People like that are tough to deal with by the book.  You and the landlord shouldn't let those creeps push you around.  Have the cops over there three times a day if necessary. 

Rezdent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2016, 11:08:22 AM »
Are there noise restrictions where you live?
Here, we can report to police for excessive noise/loud music after 10pm.
If the woman is ranting/screaming, I would call and report it as a noise problem.

Our local police will not reveal who called, but confirm this with them when you call. These folks sound like they would really not like police visits so they might stop with the noise issue, at least.

Fishinshawn

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2016, 11:24:23 AM »
I'm confused, are you guys just renting rooms or something? If it is two separate units, shouldn't each unit be on it's set of fuses/circuit breakers and have their own thermostats? Since you are month to month and could move out, could you find a better or equivalent deal on rent closer to work?

FIRE47

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2016, 11:28:39 AM »
I'm confused, are you guys just renting rooms or something? If it is two separate units, shouldn't each unit be on it's set of fuses/circuit breakers and have their own thermostats? Since you are month to month and could move out, could you find a better or equivalent deal on rent closer to work?

Two separate unconnected units - however it was a house before. The furnace/ utility room and hot water electrica and also router etc is in our unit. The thermostat however is in what was previously the upstairs of the home. Slightly odd but it worked fine until recently. Nothing a space heater or a fan/ window couldn't fix at night if things weren't quite right. Everything including Internet and satellite is inclusive so it doesn't cause any issues that way as far as someone using "our" hydro water etc

As far as moving I really don't want to as the plan was to just buy in 12 months or so, so I Don't really want the hassle if anything I'd just buy now, and tbh I've been turned off of renting pretty badly to the point I'm wondering if I'd just be rolling the dice again, we're lucky at least the landlord is solid. The issue with renting here is housing is fairly cheap comparatively so the rental market is either slum or luxury with little in between. Renting was more of a personal decision due to never having lived together and wanting time without the worry of a home.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 11:42:46 AM by FIRE47 »

Rocket

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2016, 12:40:59 PM »
I would talk to the landlord and get more info on whats going on with the tenant and discuss other options you mentioned.  Maybe a forced eviction is about to happen.  I wouldn't put up with this for very long.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2016, 12:49:10 PM »
Personally, I would talk with the tenant myself.  Strike up a conversation.  Ask her if she's noticed how warm the house is lately?  Don't be confrontational, try to act like you're on her side.  Maybe she'll realize that her actions affect you too and maybe she'll dial it back a bit. 

I realize that she's the problem - but it might just help you survive until she's evicted.  I'm sorry you have to deal with this.  Put yourself and your family first and if you have to kiss her ass until she's out, then it might be worth it. 

pudding

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2016, 01:13:18 PM »
Are you in BC Canada?

Cannot Wait!

• Handlebar Stache
  • FIREd 2016 @ 49
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2016, 03:14:40 PM »
Wow, that really bites.

I like your 'out of the box' proposal about offering reduced rent and staying elsewhere..  You'd be safe and hopefully be able to keep the otherwise good deal you have going.

I would call the police for noise, drugs and possible domestic. Are there other neighbours close by?  You could take turns calling.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2016, 03:41:14 PM »
I went through this once. After the police leave they would just start up again. The police just tell them to be quiet. WE also thought they were dealing drugs so cops had us keep license plates records, etc and nothing ever came of it.

misshathaway

• Bristles
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2016, 07:09:35 AM »
If the police had reason to put them in jail, perhaps for drug offences, your problems would be more or less over no?  So if you have evidence of criminal offences, and particularly if you have reason to suspect them of dealing rather than just using, I would inform on them.

Was in this situation a long time ago in an apt building of 4 apartments. You are just in 2. Our problem was audible through walls partner abuse and child neglect. I reported them and they figured out that it was me. Abuser appeared at my door. Very scary for me, although they did get help. Still, I spent about 2 weeks thinking I would be the next victim.

Fishindude

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2016, 07:42:25 AM »
This is an instance, where you wish you could just handle things wild west style.
Tell them they better be gone by the end of the week or we are going to trow their asses out physically and start pitching their be belongings out by the street.   Know anybody in the mafia that could lend you some assistance?

NoStacheOhio

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2016, 07:57:30 AM »
Are you in Ohio? I may have been these peoples' previous downstairs neighbor; throwing stuff out the window, fighting, smoking and not paying rent ...

We called the cops after a particularly enthusiastic (and physical) fight, then went left for a few hours.

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2016, 12:47:46 PM »
If temporarily moving out, I would take your most valuable things with you.  I'd be afraid they might set a fire.  The chance is very rare, but still.

FIRE47

• Bristles
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2016, 01:25:38 PM »
An update - I got my first good nights sleep in about a week last night.

I was going home to grab some clothes at about 10 pm after being driven out earlier in the day, and there was nothing but silence not even the sound of the overworked furnace. I decided to risk it. Woke up this morning still feeling behind on sleep but there was still no music and not a sound of stirring or craziness by the time I left at around 8 (usually it only stops between about 5am - 7 am).

More than likely the woman crashed after days of no sleep and being strung out on whatever she is on. I'm hoping its not just temporary. The only sign of what had happened other than the silence was the potent smell of marijuana around my entrance and stairs (where I suspect there is nothing but drywall separating us). So I think she finally decided to come off the hard stuff and sleep for a bit.

Temporary arrangements had already been made and a was going to contact the landlord after work today so even one more hint of this and I'm pulling the trigger on my previous plans.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 01:35:23 PM by FIRE47 »

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2016, 01:41:47 PM »
It's situations like this that make me very wary of buying a rental property. I have a house with two spare bedrooms and just had a tenant move into one, fingers crossed that all goes well.

FIRE47

• Bristles
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2016, 01:44:37 PM »
It's situations like this that make me very wary of buying a rental property. I have a house with two spare bedrooms and just had a tenant move into one, fingers crossed that all goes well.

Was planning on buying a duplex and renting out a unit - not a chance anymore.

If I was to ever rent property will at least never live with the tenant. If these people owed me money on top of doing this to me and destroying my investment there would likely be a homicide involved.

patchyfacialhair

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2016, 02:12:04 PM »
This doesn't add to the conversation but this is why I always choose a top floor apartment. I'm in a 3rd floor walk-up now and that's a tiny price to pay knowing that I won't have a loud stepping neighbor.

TrMama

« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2016, 02:19:39 PM »
When I read your first post, I thought you might be one of our tenants. We're dealing with an almost identical situation, however we're the landlords. Thanks to a suboptimal previous landlord (my MIL) who didn't get written agreements with her tenants and overly tenant-friendly laws in our province we've learned it's really, really hard to get rid of people like this. We're doing everything we can and it will still be another 60 days of nonsense before we can be free of them.

I second all the suggestions of continuing to complain to the landlords and calling the police when necessary. Do not contact or provoke the tenant directly. They appear to be seriously mentally ill and you're unlikely to get any kind of rational response from them.

Since it sounds like mental illness may be involved I'd call 911 the next time there's an incident and report them for being crazy. Some areas have mental health workers who respond to calls like that and they may be able to commit them.

frugaliknowit

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2016, 02:28:20 PM »
1.  Give written notice. 
2.  Tell your landlord that if they are out before you make a committment somewhere, you will stay.

This way, you pressure your landlord's hand.  It's not a friendship, it's a business arrangement.

The problem is you DON't know for sure how long this is going to take.  You're not on a lease, so get out.

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2016, 03:11:29 PM »
1. Suggest to your landlord that he offer "cash for keys" (i.e., bribe them to vacate).

Two separate unconnected units - however it was a house before. The furnace/ utility room and hot water electrica and also router etc is in our unit. The thermostat however is in what was previously the upstairs of the home.

2. Disconnect the thermostat wire from the furnace and wire in a new thermostat in your unit. Don't tell the asshats upstairs.

I would say to get your landlord's agreement before doing this, but depending on the rules in your jurisdiction it might be better to give the landlord plausible deniability for the change: "it's not my fault you can't control the HVAC anymore; the other tenant messed with it! No, I'm not going to put it back, because the thermostat downstairs works so it still counts as being in 'good working order.' Feel free to move out if you don't like it."

(It seems like lots of places give tenants extensive rights against the landlord, but rights against another tenant might be a different story.)

3. If they start playing loud music again, turn off their circuit breakers until it stops.

4. Call the police for every little thing. Criminal charges might allow the landlord to evict "for cause," faster.

5. Buy a shotgun, and answer the door carrying it (loaded) if the asshats confront you. (Use one of those door chain locks so they can't get in and grab the gun from you, but stand back and hold it where they can clearly see it.) Note: I'm not saying to go confront them, or to make them aware of your willingness to defend yourself unless they force you to.

SKL-HOU

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2016, 06:55:45 PM »
1. Suggest to your landlord that he offer "cash for keys" (i.e., bribe them to vacate).

Two separate unconnected units - however it was a house before. The furnace/ utility room and hot water electrica and also router etc is in our unit. The thermostat however is in what was previously the upstairs of the home.

2. Disconnect the thermostat wire from the furnace and wire in a new thermostat in your unit. Don't tell the asshats upstairs.

I would say to get your landlord's agreement before doing this, but depending on the rules in your jurisdiction it might be better to give the landlord plausible deniability for the change: "it's not my fault you can't control the HVAC anymore; the other tenant messed with it! No, I'm not going to put it back, because the thermostat downstairs works so it still counts as being in 'good working order.' Feel free to move out if you don't like it."

(It seems like lots of places give tenants extensive rights against the landlord, but rights against another tenant might be a different story.)

3. If they start playing loud music again, turn off their circuit breakers until it stops.

4. Call the police for every little thing. Criminal charges might allow the landlord to evict "for cause," faster.

5. Buy a shotgun, and answer the door carrying it (loaded) if the asshats confront you. (Use one of those door chain locks so they can't get in and grab the gun from you, but stand back and hold it where they can clearly see it.) Note: I'm not saying to go confront them, or to make them aware of your willingness to defend yourself unless they force you to.

I would not do any of the above. Why even bother? If you have to go to these extremes, just move out! You are not stuck there.

Fishindude

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2016, 05:25:25 AM »
Pretty good ideas Jack !
Fair, ethical, logical, and by the book does not work with nutcases like this.

Tjat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2016, 04:01:34 PM »
Great idea to retire the thermostat. Should take 15 min if that. Agree with all of jacks ideas

Cannot Wait!

• Handlebar Stache
  • FIREd 2016 @ 49
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2016, 04:34:57 PM »
Time to start your 6AM bagpipe lessons!

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2016, 05:57:39 AM »

I would not do any of the above. Why even bother? If you have to go to these extremes, just move out! You are not stuck there.

Don't ever try #5.  I know a guy who did five years for that stunt.  The women in the adjoining home came over to beg for help, since her husband was beating the hell out of her.  Tough guy grabs his shotgun and heads across a common front porch, Literally five feet from his own front door.  The insane assailant attacks him, he shoots, bad guy is dead. Convicted of manslaughter with a five year minimum. Bottom line is calling 911 would of been a much smarter decision. In the end the first cop to respond most likely would of ended up killing the same violent asshole, two or three minutes later, but that's a whole different scene.

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2016, 07:05:11 AM »
Don't ever try #5.  I know a guy who did five years for that stunt.  The women in the adjoining home came over to beg for help, since her husband was beating the hell out of her.  Tough guy grabs his shotgun and heads across a common front porch, Literally five feet from his own front door.  The insane assailant attacks him, he shoots, bad guy is dead. Convicted of manslaughter with a five year minimum. Bottom line is calling 911 would of been a much smarter decision. In the end the first cop to respond most likely would of ended up killing the same violent asshole, two or three minutes later, but that's a whole different scene.

Check your reading comprehension, because the guy in your anecdote did exactly what I explicitly did not say to do! Standing five feet in front of your door is very different than standing a few feet behind it, with the chain secured. In the latter case it's obvious the "insane assailant" can't actually reach you, so you'll know you're not allowed to shoot and won't be tempted to do so.

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2016, 01:33:23 PM »
No Jack, like most rational adults here, my comprehension is more than adequate. Your twisted logic is one of the many reasons that the citizenry of all the other first world nations end up shaking their heads and asking WTF, on a daily basis, as we shoot and kill thousands of our fellow men, every year. Often, for very little cause.

This is a tenant issue, FFS!  You recommend hiding behind a locked door with a loaded shotgun, how bizarre is that? You really think that the silly little door chain, with a pair of 1" wood screws in the door trim, is going to keep an enraged guy from kicking the door in? You are sure you would have what it takes to guarantee they you ended up the only one breathing a minute later? Yea, I know all the macho, cowboy bullshit about how great all the  tough gun owners think they are, but reality is a bitch, and so is killing somebody, since you didn't have what it takes to walk out the back door. Or ending up as a stain on the carpet, since your tough guy ass got stomped by a tweeker, before he took your gun, and blew a gallon paint can sized hole in your chest.

The case I referenced is of another tough guy, who though his shotgun would save the day. He killed the assailant in self defense, and still got five years. The reason that he is now a convicted felon? Because he had to be a dumb-assed macho cowboy, and go save the day. The event had multiple witnesses who all were in agreement on one fact, if he had not killed the other man, he would of been the victim, since the guy was out of his mind and wrestling for control of the gun.  All of this shit could of been avoided if we didn't live in a society where there are far too many douche bags who think they are Billy Badass because they own a gun.

Solving your issues with a loaded shotgun?  How sad is that???????
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 01:58:31 PM by paddedhat »

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2016, 05:08:06 PM »
No Jack, like most rational adults here, my comprehension is more than adequate.

Bullshit. If that were the case you could have responded to what I actually said the first time instead of dreaming up a strawman.

Speaking of which, you still fail at it! Here's a hint: the claim that I "recommend hiding behind a locked door" is a lie too.

What I actually recommended was assertiveness -- to demonstrate that you are not an easy target to victimize. Nothing more, nothing less. You alternately decided to pretend I was recommending aggressiveness (a terrible idea) or passiveness (also a terrible idea). If you think my logic is "twisted" then you're the only one doing the twisting!

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2016, 05:43:55 PM »
No Jack, like most rational adults here, my comprehension is more than adequate.

Bullshit. If that were the case you could have responded to what I actually said the first time instead of dreaming up a strawman.

Speaking of which, you still fail at it! Here's a hint: the claim that I "recommend hiding behind a locked door" is a lie too.

What I actually recommended was assertiveness -- to demonstrate that you are not an easy target to victimize. Nothing more, nothing less. You alternately decided to pretend I was recommending aggressiveness (a terrible idea) or passiveness (also a terrible idea). If you think my logic is "twisted" then you're the only one doing the twisting!

No you're right Jack, it's all about having a gun to prove you are "assertive".   Of course I am wrong, silly me. Standing behind a door held by a sad little hotel privacy chain isn't really a "locked door" and you are after all, only holding a loaded shotgun to assert your dominance and manliness, IN AN IMAGINARY TENANT DISPUTE,  FFS!

The whole concept you are vigorously defending is too fucked up to even bother arguing about. One only needs to take a detached view of the whole mess, look at the facts, and it the truth is  irrefutable. Since the turn of the century nearly half a million Americans are dead as a result of gun violence. You're idea is working great, eh?  ( for those of you who live in civilized nations, are you aware that some of these assholes are succeeding at legalizing the carrying of concealed weapons on college campuses, and in some states they have already won that battle? They respond to gun violence in our schools be asking that elementary teachers be allowed to carry weapons. Yes it REALLY is that demented here).  We nearly lead the entire planet, when it comes to gun violence, only losing to the failed nation of Iraq.  We have a nation where a minority of the males are obsessed with gun ownership, how doing so provides them with some imaginary "protection" and how necessary it is to be armed to "protect yourself, your family, and your castle"  It's all a bunch of horse shit, and you illustrate that perfectly. One day it's all going to come to an end, by then a lot of the crusty old nut jobs will be dead, and getting a handle on this whole epidemic will be a little easier, but it's coming. We have got to join the first world, and finally put a stop the idiots who think that flooding a nation with weapons and testosterone has been anything but a disaster.

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2016, 06:24:32 PM »
The whole concept you are vigorously defending is too fucked up to even bother arguing about.

I'm vigorously defending reading comprehension. What's fucked up is that you're trying to take what amounted to not much more than an offhand remark and use it as an excuse to go off on some kind of incoherent rant about gun control. I don't really even care about the specific gun situation, it was just the best example I could think of at the time to demonstrate assertiveness/willingness to defend oneself!

Since you're so Hell-bent on arguing (contrary to your claim), why don't you take that shit to off-topic where it belongs (and where I can promptly ignore it for the irrelevant noise that it is)?

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2016, 08:13:03 PM »
The whole concept you are vigorously defending is too fucked up to even bother arguing about.

I'm vigorously defending reading comprehension. What's fucked up is that you're trying to take what amounted to not much more than an offhand remark and use it as an excuse to go off on some kind of incoherent rant about gun control. I don't really even care about the specific gun situation, it was just the best example I could think of at the time to demonstrate assertiveness/willingness to defend oneself!

Since you're so Hell-bent on arguing (contrary to your claim), why don't you take that shit to off-topic where it belongs (and where I can promptly ignore it for the irrelevant noise that it is)?

Jack, you obviously are a bit short in the comprehension department yourself,  if you think my response to your proposal to hide behind your locked door with a loaded gun is an incoherent rant. It is an indictment  of you and your kind. All the sad American males with their desperate need for guns, to protect themselves from imaginary boogiemen, regardless of how many have to die in the process. So for the third time, let's review.

You are on an forum composed of an unusually intelligent and diverse, literally world wide, membership. You propose to engage a theoretical neighbor by hiding behind a locked door with a fucking loaded shot gun. You not only think you are correct and rational in your "need" to show you "assertiveness" , but you are willing to continually make a fool of yourself by rehashing this stupidity. Instead of wasting bandwidth here, I'm sure there are many like minded souls on other sites who feel as you do, and just know that no one is safe unless they are armed to the teeth, and ready to kill at a moment's notice. I'm sure the NRA will help be happy to help you in your hour of need.

MOD NOTE: PERSONAL ATTACKS WILL NOT BE TOLERATED. CONSIDER THIS A WARNING
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 09:08:53 PM by swick »

RosieTR

• Bristles
« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2016, 08:47:13 PM »
Why are people so reluctant to call the police? And to tell the police the most serious plausible scenario for what might be going on?

We had back-of-the-fence neighbors who decided a fun thing to do would be have an all-night pool party. Which meant we didn't sleep. We called on a noise complaint at like 3:30 or 4am...and nothing.

A couple of weeks later, same deal. That time, we called at like midnight, and said we thought there was underage drinking going on. Noise stopped. I had no idea how old the participants were, but if you're making a bunch of noise in the middle of the night, I'm going to say something other than noise complaint.
For these problem tenants:
-illegal drug activity.
-psychotic behavior and you're worried someone may inflict harm to themselves or others.
-domestic violence.

Any of these could be true, based on what you have described for their behavior. Keep calling, because if the cops show up and anything IS illegal, then they can arrest. If they get repeated complaints, that probably helps the landlord build a case, as someone mentioned. Move any obvious valuables or heirloom type stuff to another location (family/friend/safe deposit box etc) and make sure your renters insurance is paid up, and that you have photos or videos of your major possessions.

I would not advocate getting or flashing a firearm. Then the psychos can call the cops on YOU and say you were threatening them with a weapon (in the case where you open the door but the chain is on and brandish a shotgun). And, they know you have that as a valuable and might look for that if they break in. If you already have a weapon, it's for if they breach your apartment's threshold and you use it because you feel you have no other choice.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2016, 09:11:36 PM »
MOD NOTE: A reminder to follow the forum rules which include Forum rule #1 Don't be a jerk and to respect fellow forum members. If you feel the need to argue, use logic and not personal attacks. Anyone who feels the need to do so will gain a 3 day ban for a first offense.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!