Author Topic: DC Area Housing Options?  (Read 2290 times)

Felicity

• Stubble
  • ruff!
    • Fetching Financial Freedom
DC Area Housing Options?
« on: October 13, 2016, 04:07:04 PM »
So I'm interviewing with a company in the Georgetown area and am trying to get an idea of (1) housing costs, in addition to (2) which neighborhoods might be the best place to look. Would love a mustachian perspective from others who have lived or are living in the DC area. :D

Details on what we'd be looking for:
  • Likely a 2-bed apartment so husband can have a dedicated office from which to work from home, 1 bedroom might work, though
  • Decent enough interior - not talking marble countertops, but peeling laminate would be :( - things like basic washer/dryer in unit would be great
  • Car parking ideal but not necessary if near the metro
  • Close to work (Georgetown)- shortish commute one way or another (be it walking, biking, or metro)
  • Easy access to the city (ideally Blue Line)
  • Walkable neighborhood / high Walkscore https://www.walkscore.com/ (80+ would be ideal, would definitely pay more for 90+)
  • Nice-ish neighborhood: no broken glass on the sidewalks when we go out to walk the dog, etc.

Thanks all for any and all input! From a basic survey of the internets, it looks like our cost of living would definitely go up if we moved (current rent $1,200), I'm just trying to get an idea of how much (like, are we talking doubling or tripling rent??). O.o 

Migrator Soul

• Stubble
  • The sooner you realize life is hard, the better.
    • Cerebral Combatant
Re: DC Area Housing Options?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2016, 04:48:31 PM »
For me, another soon to be DC Mustachian, I'll be experiencing at least a 4x rent increase. It's staggering. (Currently paying 400 flat for half a house in Texas)

Totally wish you the best of luck. I've heard that using Craigslist you can find some sweet steals.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2016, 05:22:54 PM »
So I'm interviewing with a company in the Georgetown area and am trying to get an idea of (1) housing costs, in addition to (2) which neighborhoods might be the best place to look. Would love a mustachian perspective from others who have lived or are living in the DC area. :D

• Likely a 2-bed apartment so husband can have a dedicated office from which to work from home, 1 bedroom might work, though
  • Decent enough interior - not talking marble countertops, but peeling laminate would be :( - things like basic washer/dryer in unit would be great
  • Close to work (Georgetown)- shortish commute one way or another (be it walking, biking, or metro)
  • Walkable neighborhood / high Walkscore https://www.walkscore.com/ (80+ would be ideal, would definitely pay more for 90+)
  • Nice-ish neighborhood: no broken glass on the sidewalks when we go out to walk the dog, etc.

Thanks all for any and all input! From a basic survey of the internets, it looks like our cost of living would definitely go up if we moved (current rent $1,200), I'm just trying to get an idea of how much (like, are we talking doubling or tripling rent??). O.o
You may need to reassess your commuting options -- metro doesn't go into Georgetown.  Arlington (Clarendon, Courthouse, Balston, or Rossyln) may be better choices to get into Georgetown for less.  You can bike in or walk over the Key Bridge.

Felicity

• Stubble
  • ruff!
    • Fetching Financial Freedom
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2016, 05:31:10 PM »
For me, another soon to be DC Mustachian, I'll be experiencing at least a 4x rent increase. It's staggering. (Currently paying 400 flat for half a house in Texas)

Totally wish you the best of luck. I've heard that using Craigslist you can find some sweet steals.

Oof da, that's a big increase!

I'm looking a bit on Craigslist - sometimes it's hard to separate the scams from the steals (like listing the address of a $1.3M condo as $1750/mo rent - seems highly unlikely that one's real, for instance)

Good luck to you as well! Hopefully you're getting enough added compensation for it to be worth the move (or other benefits)?

You may need to reassess your commuting options -- metro doesn't go into Georgetown.  Arlington (Clarendon, Courthouse, Balston, or Rossyln) may be better choices to get into Georgetown for less.  You can bike in or walk over the Key Bridge.

Good point! There are a number of buses, though, right?

Good to know biking and walking over Key Bridge is an option, too.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!