Author Topic: daytime home temp with pets?  (Read 10375 times)

MrsSmitty

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
daytime home temp with pets?
« on: December 09, 2014, 09:01:35 AM »
Mustachian pet owners, where do you set your thermostat during the day in winter? I don't want to freeze my fur kids, but I also don't want to spend to heat an empty house. I have it at 59 right now. Thoughts?

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
Re: daytime home temp with pets?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2014, 09:05:22 AM »
Depends on the pet. My dog likes to sit outside in the snow for a few hours. A couple times I've left him in the car with a blanket for a few hours when it was well below freezing. I think he prefers it cooler. Less furry pets might not do as well.

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2014, 09:09:14 AM »
I've got mine set to 55 for our 3 cats.  Granted, it really doesn't get that cold here - by the time the house would cool to that temperature, it is almost always warmer than that outside.

FLBiker

• Handlebar Stache
    • Chop Wood Carry FIRE
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2014, 09:10:45 AM »
I'm no expert on this (being a FL resident) but I think 59 is plenty warm.  I have a cat, and he usually sleeps on the screen porch.  When it's chilly, I close the vinyl windows, but we only keep him inside overnight (he prefers the porch) if it's going to be under 40.  I read somewhere that cats are fine sleeping totally outside/unprotected @ 45 degrees.  In practice, though, they can always find somewhere to hunker down and thus do fine at much colder temps (which explains the feral cat population).  Our cat was a street kitten, and he spent at least some of his first winter sleeping in our carport tucked behind some plastic sheeting before we adopted him.  I don't know anything about dogs, though.

BPA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2014, 09:12:01 AM »
I've got mine set for 59 (15 C) and it seems fine.  The cats have no problem at all and I bought the dog sweaters from kijiji (Craigslist).

NumberCruncher

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2014, 09:16:37 AM »
That's around what we leave it when we're home (bit warmer, actually)!

It probably depends on the pet - we have a huge, fluffy golden retriever. If we had a small, hairless chihuahua we might think about raising the temp or giving it a sweater.

(edited for typo)
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 09:19:53 AM by NumberCruncher »

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2014, 09:17:36 AM »
I think you are fine to go that low, although we tend not to. This winter we've been plutting coats on the little dogs and they live on top of the heat registers, anyway. The cats will find a warm place to curl up.
Our big dog likes it cool.

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2014, 09:19:01 AM »
Agree with above poster.  Largely depends on the animal.  Cats, in general, are pretty self sufficient and even at temps below freezing they find ways to survive.  Not sure about those weird hairless cats (but you said fur babies, so I assume it has fur).

Same thought process with dogs.  Hairy dogs are fine.  Some of the larger spitz type dogs (Huksy, akita, malmute etc) are said to be able to survive at -70F.  My dog, German Shepherd, stays home at 55F during the day.  He regularly spends extended periods of time outside or in cars during the winter.  He does have blankets when he has to stay in the car.

I would say at 59F all dogs and cats are going to be just fine if they are healthy.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 09:22:35 AM by Cromacster »

Hotstreak

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2014, 09:44:20 AM »
Instead of heating the whole house, you could leave an efficient radiator space heater on low in one room, and let the rest of the house get cold.  Even with the door open the heated room will stay noticeably warmer, and if your animals are cold they can/will move closer to the heating unit.

Lis

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2014, 09:47:25 AM »
My cats are like me - they prefer the cold. I usually leave the heat on during the day 55-60, but I also make sure to leave a blanket curled up in case they want to snuggle up underneath it. I'm more concerned about them in the heat.

Funny story: spent a lot of time yesterday outside in the freezing cold. Came home and jacked the heat up (go ahead, punch me). After layering myself up and finally feeling warm again, I decided it was time to turn the heat down. Walked into the living room and noticed my cat sprawled out in front of the door that leads to the garage. Mr. Fuzz (a 20lb very fluffy monster-cat) managed to move the thingy I have blocking under the door so that cold air would come in. He was nice and cool to the touch. Little shit. (And no, I didn't jack up the heat to 90. I'd say mid 60s-70.)

Cpa Cat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2014, 09:59:59 AM »
We set ours to 55F, but leave the heated floors in the bathroom on during the day. One of our cats spends most of the day laying in the bathroom. The other one just curls up on one of her pillows in a colder room. She (pointedly) moves to her other pillow by the gas fireplace when I come home from work, and gives me a cute little "turn on the fire" face until I give in.

When we go away and turn off the heated floors, Bathroom Cat snuggles into a spot on our bed and Pillow Cat maintains her pillow throne. They like heat sources, but are generally unphased by cooler temperatures.

starbuck

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2014, 10:45:26 AM »
I read somewhere that cats are fine sleeping totally outside/unprotected @ 45 degrees.  In practice, though, they can always find somewhere to hunker down and thus do fine at much colder temps (which explains the feral cat population).  Our cat was a street kitten, and he spent at least some of his first winter sleeping in our carport tucked behind some plastic sheeting before we adopted him.  I don't know anything about dogs, though.

Feral cats develop a thicker coat in the winter to help them make it through. Our newest adult cat was a feral (obvi not 'feral' anymore) and last winter I swear he developed his own winter parka. He was like a feline husky! It's starting to thicken up again already.

BPA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2014, 10:54:45 AM »
I read somewhere that cats are fine sleeping totally outside/unprotected @ 45 degrees.  In practice, though, they can always find somewhere to hunker down and thus do fine at much colder temps (which explains the feral cat population).  Our cat was a street kitten, and he spent at least some of his first winter sleeping in our carport tucked behind some plastic sheeting before we adopted him.  I don't know anything about dogs, though.

Feral cats develop a thicker coat in the winter to help them make it through. Our newest adult cat was a feral (obvi not 'feral' anymore) and last winter I swear he developed his own winter parka. He was like a feline husky! It's starting to thicken up again already.

Interesting.  I've noticed that our most recent cat adoptee has grown a gorgeous thick coat.  He may or may not have spent last winter and previous winters outside.  Wish I knew his story but I swear he is the most grateful, happy animal I have ever known.  He particularly likes cozy throws to sleep on.

The_path_less_taken

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2014, 12:03:13 PM »
My thermostat is set to 45, but inside temp rarely drops below 50. (heat primarily with woodstove, so huge temp variation in front room versus back rooms...when I work it can be 50 by the time I get home.)

All 4 dogs are short hair coated: Boxer crosses, a pitt, etc. 3 of them are elderly.

They prefer it to be about 55+ and below that I see shivering. But they all feel fine getting up and in some cases under the down comforter on the bed. Their dog beds have blankets as well, for when they're lounging, although they all prefer my bed. Or the couch, which also has down blankets on it.

If you have some snuggly place for them and they are USED to it, I think 50 is fine. But if you've recently adopted a dog from a 'non-Mustacian' house used to temps in the 80's they will be miserable and you might need to get them a sweater/coat until they acclimate.

On a related note, I'm opposed to blanketing horses, because even the $400+ specialty fabric blankets will get moisture underneath them, which chafes and can cause fungus and other issues. My horse is unblanketed but can get completely out of the weather in a deep 3-sided shelter.

Her coat naturally fluffs up as thick as a Husky dog's coat.

Because she is acclimated. Dogs don't get quite as fluffy but they do acclimate.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2014, 12:05:17 PM »
I keep the house at 60 when I'm not there and at night.  My cat loves heat - her favorite spot is by the heat register under the cabinets in the kitchen (that's the only one that is near the floor, not in the ceiling) and if the heat is off, she curls up on top of the cable box in the den ;-)  She also grows a super thick coat for the winter every year....

mak1277

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2014, 12:23:45 PM »
My dad's dogs used to live outside in a barn year-round in Western Pennsylvania.  I'm pretty sure your house won't get that cold...they're freakin' animals after all, they can handle a lot worse than we can. 

starbuck

• Bristles
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2014, 12:41:37 PM »
We keep ours at 60 during the day. Two cats that are totally fine at colder temps (a long haired cat, and a former outdoor cat) but the dog is a small shorthaired senior citizen mutt that is from a much warmer climate. Below 60 and she'll start shivering. She does have a heated bed for sleeping because she's a spoiled old lady, but she doesn't always use it. On the flip side, we don't have to bother with A/C. The dog will sleep in the hottest spot in the house no matter what, and the cats hang in the creepy basement.

dandeliongirl75

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2014, 12:50:13 PM »
now I feel bad...I leave my 2 cats and rabbit at 50F during the day.....hmmm.....

MoneyCat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2014, 12:55:17 PM »
I have cats and I never let it go below 60F when I am out because the cats are miserable when it is colder.  They burrow into blankets and shiver like crazy.  They are older though, which might make a difference.  Their arthritis really acts up in the cold.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 08:30:35 AM by MoneyCat »

sandandsun

• Stubble
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2014, 01:01:25 PM »
older, small dogs, so I keep it at 63-5 whether I'm home or not... and they still burrow under the fleece, so they would probably like it a little warmer even...

FLBiker

• Handlebar Stache
    • Chop Wood Carry FIRE
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2014, 01:02:20 PM »

My cat totally gets a winter coat (even here in FL).  I figured all cats did (not just ones that had been feral).

dude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2014, 01:05:03 PM »
Damn, you're all making me feel very wasteful.  We generally keep it at 64 for our 2 cats and 1 dog.  I'll drop it to the 50's when the house is empty.

purplepants

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • My Journey - Purplepants' Journey From The 7th Circle of Hell
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2014, 01:44:13 PM »
I keep ours set at 62, day and night. 

Our "big" dog (30 lbs) is a mutt and appears to be oblivious to environmental conditions, so I don't think he even notices.

Our little guy is a miniature dachshund and he shivers when it's below 66.  In the evenings, he keeps warm by running around the house with the big guy, then when I settle on the couch to read, he burrows under my lap quilt.  At night and when I'm at work, he sleeps in his crate and rolls himself up in his blanket like a burrito.  I'm sure he'd like it a bit warmer, but he'll be in heaven this summer when I refuse to put on the A/C!

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2014, 02:32:53 PM »
We leave our units set at 64 all the time, but if there's any sun at all during the day, they don't run until it's been dark a while. Thermal mass holds us through mild nights, too. Cold and cloudy for a long stretch means a higher power bill (in other words, January and at least half of February).

guitar_stitch

• Bristles
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2014, 02:49:10 PM »
50 when the house is unoccupied by humans.  60 when home.  Slowly reducing the max temp to adjust to colder weather.  Adaptation.  :>

southern granny

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2014, 04:44:59 PM »
64 when not at home.  We have a 10 year old Brittany spaniel who doesn't like the cold.  When the furnace kicks on, he goes and lays in front of the vent.  I would feel guilty if I turned it down more than that.

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2014, 06:01:00 PM »
Unless you have pets with very short fur, I would think you could go quite a bit colder. I remember being scolded by nurses for overdressing our human children when they were younger -- apparently the rule of thumb is to dress them as warm as you'd dress yourself in similar weather (with small adjustments for inactivity in a stroller or less exposure to wind due to stroller cover).

I would expect the same rule to work with critters. How cold would it have to be before you'd wear a fur coat? Maybe 8 celsius? That would be a good temperature for the house. If you leave a set of south-facing curtains open, your animals will find that warm square of sunlight if they get chllly, or they'll burrow into something warm like a throw on the couch. If you're really concerned, or your pets are old or infirm, you might consider a low-wattage dog bed heater. That way when you're home, you can use it under your feet when you're on the computer!

Prepube

• Stubble
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2014, 10:46:52 PM »
Our rule is that the dogs are outside during the day unless it drops below 20, in which case the least hardy of the bunch comes with us to work.  The other two are good down to zero for up to four hours at a time with no problems. (200 pound Newfoundland, 150 pound St. Bernard, 125 pound Leonberger).  Below zero, everyone is inside, though the biggest would rather be out. The cats are cozy indoors at 55 (which is as low as the stupid baseboard electric heat thermostats will go). The cats sleep on top of the pellet stoves when we are home and want to be warm.

starbuck

• Bristles
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2014, 07:40:25 AM »
200 pound Newfoundland, 150 pound St. Bernard, 125 pound Leonberger

wow that is a lot of dog

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2014, 07:46:12 AM »
now I feel bad...I leave my 2 cats and rabbit at 50F during the day.....hmmm.....

In my experience: the rabbit wants the cold.  We had outside rabbits for a while.  Our biggest problem was we had to put out blocks of ice for them in the summer.   But when the temp was sub freezing... they were frisky and happy as they could be.

As someone else has said: for our indoor animals, we have heated beds.  Punch me if you will.  They don't pull much power.  They put out a tiny bit of heat all the time, but when they sense pressure, they warm up more.  (I just looked at my Kill-a-watt notes and it looks like they pull 5 watts when not being slept on.  It looks like I didn't measure it at "sleeping temperature".)

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!