Author Topic: Davis vs Longmont  (Read 2745 times)

bubbleojoy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Davis vs Longmont
« on: March 13, 2015, 09:41:05 AM »
I'm a long-time reader and I have enjoyed the insights and information gleaned from such a smart group of folks.  My husband and I currently live in Longmont, with two school-age girls.  We have lived here for the past ten years and have, mostly, enjoyed it.  I am now finding that I feel limited with the area and Colorado in general.  I work in public health and my career is fairly limited, especially since I am not willing to drive an hour to work.  The cultural scene is not very invigorating and I miss the diversity of both land and people of my native California.  We are contemplating a move to Davis, CA and I am curious if any mustachians can provide input into this difficult decision-making process.  I am a CA girl at heart, but I don't want to just leave CO because the "grass looks greener" from where I sit now.  We are an active family, enjoy varied cultural and outdoor activities, and we work in public health and environmental resources.  If we moved we would rent out our Longmont home and rent a place in the Davis area before purchasing.  My extended family currently lives in the Bay Area, which is not a consideration due to the COL.  Thanks for any input!

seamer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Davis vs Longmont
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2015, 10:55:08 AM »
Just moved from Sacramento and would advise checking out real estate prices in Davis. They are very high. Also, it's about a 30 minute drive to Sacramento if you're looking for larger-city amenities. On the plus side, it is very ethnically diverse, bikable, and all my friends who live there say the schools are great.

Is there a new job in Davis? If not, I'd recommend considering Sacramento. There are more cultural and outdoor activities, and I would suspect more job opportunities in your field because of the state government, 5 hospital systems, and numerous non-profits in those fields. Sacramento is also very bikable.

lazdijai

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2018, 04:16:06 PM »
I've lived in Davis on and off since 2003. I agree with seamer regarding real estate prices, but otherwise Davis is a nice town and probably not too different from Longmont, although, I've never been to Longmont. If you like a small town feel, and work in town Davis is great. Sacramento is getting a bit crowded in my opinion. However, there would be a lot of State employment opportunities for both you and your husband (assuming you two still want to work) in Sacramento. I know people who live in Davis and work in Sacramento. I know people who do the opposite.

Joel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2018, 05:18:24 PM »
Davis is very bike friendly. I’m always amazed at the great job the city did with planning the various trails out.