Author Topic: Dating on a dime  (Read 6951 times)

Billionaire Beard

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Dating on a dime
« on: August 22, 2014, 08:21:39 PM »
What are some great ideas for dates that are exciting and frugal?

Grid

• Bristles
  • I kept dreaming of a world I thought I'd never see
Re: Dating on a dime
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2014, 08:31:35 PM »
Museums, parks (picnic?), biking, hiking, and festivals.  Sight-seeing in general is great for getting to know someone.  The list goes on, but those are my favorites so far.

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2014, 08:41:02 PM »
What do you like to do? Do that. Either you'll have a common interest which is cool, or your date gets to try something new which is also cool for most people.

MBot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2014, 10:13:14 PM »
One of my favourite was searching for a stein each at the thrift store, each picking a crazy one out. then going on a free microbrewery tour and buying a few after...

Hotstreak

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2014, 10:20:24 PM »
Meet out for a drink, instead of dinner.  Or a mid price dinner, instead of an expensive one.  If you try to be cheap or cut corners on the first few dates - unless you're a student or otherwise expected to be broke - it will come across as you thinking she's not worth investing in.  All that goes out the window once you know each other well (ever wonder why so many of the 'couple' threads around here are largely folks who got together before they got frugal?), but at first, being cheap will eliminate what would otherwise be a great partner for you.

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2014, 10:30:28 PM »
If you are an active person, then do something active together like:
play tennis
go for a hike
frisbee golf
other sports you both enjoy
etc.
bring water and snacks and you'll be the man of the hour.

At some point on an early date (2nd or 3rd?) you should spring for flowers.  Really, they just don't cost that much.

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2014, 07:47:40 AM »
Meet out for a drink, instead of dinner.  Or a mid price dinner, instead of an expensive one.  If you try to be cheap or cut corners on the first few dates - unless you're a student or otherwise expected to be broke - it will come across as you thinking she's not worth investing in.  All that goes out the window once you know each other well (ever wonder why so many of the 'couple' threads around here are largely folks who got together before they got frugal?), but at first, being cheap will eliminate what would otherwise be a great partner for you.

You can be fun and thoughtful about date food without going to a fancy restaurant. Key words: "I'll bring snacks". Then bring some kickass snacks.

Investing your time outside of the date is just as valuable as any other investment.

ETA: just saw that zamboni mentioned snacks too. Right on!
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 09:34:06 AM by Russ »

trailrated

• Handlebar Stache
  • a smooth sea never made a skilled sailor
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2014, 09:25:09 AM »
Best one I have had, I borrowed a pick up from work, filled the bed with couch cushions and blankets, got a bottle of wine and went to the drive in movies $15 total.

Catbert

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2014, 12:51:29 PM »
Are there any fun (and free) factory tours in your area?  Factories like Taylor Guitars in San Diego or Shracha (sp?) chili sauce in Irwindale (LA area). 

Do you like planes?  Wine and cheese plus Trailrated's pick-up truck and you can watch planes land at the local airport at night. 

If you have a  local or neighborhood free newspaper look in it for free/cheap activities. 

Remember breakfast is cheaper than brunch.  Lunch is cheaper than dinner.  Coffee/tea is (usually) cheaper than alcohol.     

MBot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2014, 12:53:14 PM »
One of the "restaurant strategies" I've seen for first dates was sorta genius!

- pick up a gift card online at a discount
- get a coupon for the dinner, 2 for 1 entree
- during dinner, excuse yourself for a moment and settle the bill. Still leave a nice tip, without your date seeing all the discount stuff.
- before you leave, let your date quietly know the bill is already taken care of.

You can spend 30% of the meal cost this way and still pay for everything, plus come across as gentlemanly by paying for it all.

viper155

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2014, 01:38:30 PM »
Booty calls are as cheap as cab be....in the short run, anyway.

surfhb

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2014, 01:41:37 PM »
I made bacon wrapped dates and brought two bottles of wine and met her at the HB pier last week.   It was a hit in more ways then one I can tell you ;)

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2014, 04:11:11 PM »
For me as a guy in college, anything that doesn't involve going to a bar or a fancy restaurant. The same goes for me not buying expensive brand-name clothes. I don't want to be liked for something I'm not.

Because chances are, with people coming from lots of different backgrounds and lifestyles, that if they expect to go out to bars and restaurants, they won't be someone you're looking for. This is just a continuum of Mustachianism in general.

Hotstreak

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2014, 05:43:50 PM »

You can be fun and thoughtful about date food without going to a fancy restaurant. Key words: "I'll bring snacks". Then bring some kickass snacks.

Investing your time outside of the date is just as valuable as any other investment.

ETA: just saw that zamboni mentioned snacks too. Right on!

Absolutely true.

My thoughts might be more in line if this date is with someone new, maybe met online or through some other activity, and this is the first time you're really sitting down and talking to each other.  Once you know each other enough that she feels safe around you and comfortable with you, anything you both think is fun will do.  If you don't do any cheap things for fun by yourself, figure that out first!