Author Topic: Data scientist(data science)  (Read 1075 times)

Accountant

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Data scientist(data science)
« on: May 02, 2020, 02:18:01 PM »
I have seen a couple of people on the forum who have switched careers to data science, one was formally an accountant. Mi am interested in looking at this path.  I have been in corporate accounting for 20 years have gravitated toward decision support or analysis.  What are the key considerations in considering the skills needed to get started?  Is there a good certification bootcamp or online program that is good?

Beach_Stache

• Stubble
    • This Frugal Father
Re: Data scientist(data science)
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2020, 06:31:50 AM »
There are lots of programs and bootcamps.  The "data scientists" in my office have PHD's or ORSA's from the Army.  Their focus is more on statistics though.  I learned SQL myself on the job years ago and know a lot more about data studies, mining data, etc. however their degree's seem to get them street cred but I haven't seen a big advantage to actually accomplishing a job.  If your goal is to progress your career then certificates and programs will help, if you want to learn stuff, they google/youtube has always been my best friend.

Accountant

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2020, 07:59:56 AM »
I think i should think of data analytics different than science.  I am sure there is a point where they intersect.  I am a licensed CPA but enjoy modeling and data more than the business side.  I used access for years, but have gravitated to power query/pivot for modeling.  I do not know SQL, but have managed people for years that do.  My goal at this point is to frame up annidea of what i need to work on to be able to get out of the finance side and in to the data side.  I am 46, so i view this as a potential way of indefinitely working in some form.

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2020, 08:05:20 AM »
It's helpful to look at actual job descriptions,  on indeed or whatever, to see what company wish lists are.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2020, 11:46:54 AM »
Take a beginner's course on coursera or edx.

Here's an intro: https://www.coursera.org/specializations/introduction-data-science

This series of classes from Johns Hopkins is for beginners: https://www.coursera.org/specializations/jhu-data-science

NorCal

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2020, 01:17:35 PM »
I'll come at this from a different perspective.  With that much accounting background, I wouldn't go straight to the BI route.  There are some very interesting decision support routes that would use your existing knowledge with only a small amount of re-learning.  You also wouldn't have start over on the salary ladder.

Take a good look at Financial Planning & Analysis roles.  A significant percentage of people in the FP&A world come from an accounting background.

If that's not enough for you, you could look at roles in financial systems related to the forecasting modules.  This is essentially data modelling, but working in an environment of accounting data.  You could pick this up pretty quickly.

Feel free to DM me if you'd like to talk more.  I spent about a decade in corporate finance (split between FP&A and deal support), and spent my last year as a consultant building financial forecasting models. 

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!