Author Topic: Damn cat  (Read 23433 times)

MandyM

• Pencil Stache
Re: Damn cat
« Reply #50 on: January 29, 2016, 07:28:03 AM »
What is the litter box near? Its possible that something spooked him in conjunction with the underlying medical issue. As in, if the litter is near the washing machine and it started a noisy cycle when he was in the middle of a painful urination, he may now be overly spooked by the washing machine.

I would add a litter box to another part of the house. At least temporarily. Definitely consider one in the dining room for maybe a month or so.

starguru

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #51 on: January 29, 2016, 07:38:12 AM »
What is the litter box near? Its possible that something spooked him in conjunction with the underlying medical issue. As in, if the litter is near the washing machine and it started a noisy cycle when he was in the middle of a painful urination, he may now be overly spooked by the washing machine.

I would add a litter box to another part of the house. At least temporarily. Definitely consider one in the dining room for maybe a month or so.

Interesting idea.  yes the litter is near a washing machine but we never run it over night.  The laundry is next to the washing machine, which we do run at night when we go to sleep, but it only runs for 90 minutes.  We could certainly add another litter box somewhere else....

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #52 on: January 29, 2016, 09:36:07 AM »
I would refer you to me earlier post. Sometimes it's anxiety. We dealt with this issue for 18 months. It would recur and then right as we were on the brink of having him put to sleep it would go away. Do you have a laptop with a webcam you could set up in the room that looks at that spot? You can download free software that will take pictures using motion detection. See if you can find a pattern for the timing of when he does this. If there's a pattern it's highly unlikely you have a health issue like a standard UTI. He may need an anti-anxiety medication.

Ahh.  Sorry I missed your earlier post.  Hmm its an idea -- not sure what the pattern would be with him though -- there is no automatic feeder in our house.  How are you getting the prozac?
You might not have an automatic feeder but perhaps there is another trigger for his anxiety that could be causing the problem. The vet writes a prescription for the prozac; it's actually called fluoxetine. It comes at a pill, transdermal gel, and chew. Our cat wouldn't do pills and the gel was making the skin on his ears red over time, so we're getting chews that had the medicine mixed in with them. We still have to break up the chew and mix it in with our cat's food, but he's extremely picky. Our other cat would eat anything. The pills are cheap. The gel and chews cost a little more but it's still cheap enough I don't mind the recurring monthly cost ($20).

Anxiety has also been known to cause inflammation and UTIs in cats through stress. It kinda sounds bizarre but if you google "FLUTD anxiety fluoxetine" you'll find tons of results. I would definitely ask the vet about it, to see what their thoughts are about whether it could be stress related. Our cat showed no other signs of stress, other than marking. From what I've read, some cats develop such bad anxiety in old age that simply moving a living room chair can set off a bout of marking or a UTI. I don't think we (humans) know why this happens in some cats.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #53 on: January 29, 2016, 10:12:54 AM »
One thing you might consider is transitioning him to a raw diet--many cat owners report urinary issues subsiding after doing so. Quality pre-made raw mixes are often less expensive than the prescription diets. DIY raw is more effort, but can be fairly inexpensive if you have the time and freezer space for bulk batches.  feline-nutrition.org has lots of info about raw diets, and is a great starting point for research. At the absolute minimum, consider a grain-free wet food (if you're not already)--cats are not built to consume grain, so it can cause some issues.

We feed our cat Primal brand raw nuggets. She never had any internal issues, but she was fat and lethargic on low-quality kibble. She lost 8 pounds and gained so much energy when we switched her. Also bonus--her poop doesn't smell anymore!

You also should consider discussing diet changes with your vet. However, some vets are very anti-raw, and some also would prefer you buy whatever prescription food they're pushing. Speak to your vet, but also let your own research guide you.

(...and my first MMM forum post ever is about cat pee. An auspicious beginning.)

Lis

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #54 on: January 29, 2016, 12:09:38 PM »
I'm bumping along to follow. My 9 year old male cat always had issues going in the litter that we assumed was behavioral - it started when I went off to college (he didn't pee outside the litter when I was home on breaks or for the summer). Started up again when my parents got a dog. When I moved out and took him and his littermate, it stopped for a while. He occasionally peed on my knock off memory foam bathmats (to the point that I did have to toss them), but lately it's gotten a lot worse. He consistently goes along the wall in my hallway (pee not spray). I did change litter brands a few months ago (right around when it started getting bad again, went from Target brand litter which I hate to Worlds Best Cat Litter, but at least he had been using the litter then). I think I'll head to Target and pick up their litter and try that. If he continues to go outside I think it's time for a trip to the vet...

Reading everyone's post I'm now convinced he has kidney issues AND a UTI AND diabetes AND is an asshole. Ugh. But he's my baby, and I'll do what I can for him.

starguru

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #55 on: January 29, 2016, 05:12:02 PM »
One thing you might consider is transitioning him to a raw diet--many cat owners report urinary issues subsiding after doing so. Quality pre-made raw mixes are often less expensive than the prescription diets. DIY raw is more effort, but can be fairly inexpensive if you have the time and freezer space for bulk batches.  feline-nutrition.org has lots of info about raw diets, and is a great starting point for research. At the absolute minimum, consider a grain-free wet food (if you're not already)--cats are not built to consume grain, so it can cause some issues.

We feed our cat Primal brand raw nuggets. She never had any internal issues, but she was fat and lethargic on low-quality kibble. She lost 8 pounds and gained so much energy when we switched her. Also bonus--her poop doesn't smell anymore!

You also should consider discussing diet changes with your vet. However, some vets are very anti-raw, and some also would prefer you buy whatever prescription food they're pushing. Speak to your vet, but also let your own research guide you.

(...and my first MMM forum post ever is about cat pee. An auspicious beginning.)

Our vet wants us on the special food only until his urine PH is back to normal.  After that I will ask about the raw food diet.  But Im not going to lie, Im not really into all that paleo/raw/organic gorp.   

starguru

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #56 on: January 29, 2016, 05:13:52 PM »
I'm bumping along to follow. My 9 year old male cat always had issues going in the litter that we assumed was behavioral - it started when I went off to college (he didn't pee outside the litter when I was home on breaks or for the summer). Started up again when my parents got a dog. When I moved out and took him and his littermate, it stopped for a while. He occasionally peed on my knock off memory foam bathmats (to the point that I did have to toss them), but lately it's gotten a lot worse. He consistently goes along the wall in my hallway (pee not spray). I did change litter brands a few months ago (right around when it started getting bad again, went from Target brand litter which I hate to Worlds Best Cat Litter, but at least he had been using the litter then). I think I'll head to Target and pick up their litter and try that. If he continues to go outside I think it's time for a trip to the vet...

Reading everyone's post I'm now convinced he has kidney issues AND a UTI AND diabetes AND is an asshole. Ugh. But he's my baby, and I'll do what I can for him.

I wonder, how do you tell the difference between pee and spray?  Ours is snipped, if that matters.  We do see him walking around, with his tail oddly curled, and his rump shaking in what I can only imagine is the spraying dance, but he has always done that, and our issues only started recently. 

DebtFreeBy25

• Stubble
« Reply #57 on: January 29, 2016, 06:43:47 PM »
Uggggg it's started up again.  We have been sticking to his diet and cleaning the litter every day. 

We could put a litter box in the area, but it's the dining room so that is less than ideal.  Would it be worthwhile to block his access to that room?

I would go a step further and confine the cat to one room for a while (if possible).

He goes nuts if he is locked in a room and will start scratching at the door to the point that he starts pulling wood off the door. 

What's so confusing about this is that he is using the litter box.  We are cleaning it twice a day and most times it is clear he has been using it.  Its just every 2 days or so there is a puddle in the dining room.

Clean the area where he pees absurdly well. Annihilate any chance that he could possibly still smell a trace of it. Then rearrange the furniture. Change the environment to the extent possible. Hopefully shaking things up will deter him from peeing in "his corner".

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #58 on: January 29, 2016, 07:15:40 PM »
Posting to follow (no peeing issues thus far but one cat has severe kidney problems and both cats are somewhat neurotic).

If it is urinary, the vet will try to talk you into switching to prescription food which is f'ing expensive. I tried a number only to find that my 4 cats all like a cheap brand (that's widely available) - Purina Pro Plan Urinary Formula (dry and wet). It's been at least a couple years since we had a urinary problem (knock on wood)

There's drops you can buy that do give temporary relief, too. If it's an infection, it won't make it go away, but it might give enough relief that they'll quit peeing all over.

Actually, most cats with feline lower urinary tract disease (assuming no complicating issues like diabetes, kidney insufficiency, etc) will benefit most from a transition to canned food (ANY canned food, not necessarily a urinary diet) and other measures to increase water intake. The second most helpful measure in managing feline lower urinary tract disease is stress/anxiety reduction. There are cats who need the RX diets, but those cats are in the minority.

*sigh* I wish. One of our cats has polycystic kidney disease and nearly died from it a couple of times about 7 months ago but amazingly bounced back. So he and the other cat are on dry renal food. At our last vet consult about him and his weird drinking behaviours, the vet said the same - he should be on a canned wet food diet, not dry food. But the little bugger won't eat any canned food. We have tried him on all the flavours of renal wet food* and a wide variety of tinned food (quality stuff all the way down to the cheap and nasty stuff) but he won't eat any of them. If we add a teaspoon of cheap Aldi cat food (only some flavours, not all) to some water, he will usually drink the water but not eat the food.

Other cat doesn't have any kidney issues but we have been trying to get her to eat wet food too. She is the same as our Kidney Cat. She will eat a little bit of cheap Aldi cat food, but will take like 10 minutes to eat ONE teaspoon of food. *sigh*

*both cats consider wet renal food to be Not Food. Not even worth sniffing at or licking.

Cressida

• Handlebar Stache
  • gender is a hierarchy
« Reply #59 on: January 29, 2016, 07:20:56 PM »
*both cats consider wet renal food to be Not Food. Not even worth sniffing at or licking.

Yeah, I had exactly the same experience. He never really warmed up to it. He didn't die of kidney failure, but only because he died of congestive heart failure first. Poor little cat.

If I had it to do over, I would always feed nothing but canned food. The dry food is like crack.

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #60 on: January 29, 2016, 07:23:19 PM »

Yeah, I had exactly the same experience. He never really warmed up to it. He didn't die of kidney failure, but only because he died of congestive heart failure first. Poor little cat.

If I had it to do over, I would always feed nothing but canned food. The dry food is like crack.

Sorry about your kitty. And yes, agreed. Our problem is that we adopted these cats from friends when they were 3 years old and already quite set in their ways with food.

MandyM

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #61 on: January 30, 2016, 06:40:05 AM »

I wonder, how do you tell the difference between pee and spray?  Ours is snipped, if that matters.  We do see him walking around, with his tail oddly curled, and his rump shaking in what I can only imagine is the spraying dance, but he has always done that, and our issues only started recently.
Generally, pee is on a horizontal surface and marking is vertical. It's not always black and white though. Standing close to a wall will make it look like marking even though it may not be. And I would say that marking can be both behavioral and medical. Basically I think 99% of peeing outside the litter warrants a trip to the vet to check for UTI, crystals, etc.
(Starguru, I realize you did go to the vet. This is a general comment)

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #62 on: January 30, 2016, 08:05:55 AM »
I have no advice, but I am commenting to follow.  One of my parents' cats is frequently going outside the box.

startingsmall

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #63 on: January 30, 2016, 11:33:22 AM »
Posting to follow (no peeing issues thus far but one cat has severe kidney problems and both cats are somewhat neurotic).

If it is urinary, the vet will try to talk you into switching to prescription food which is f'ing expensive. I tried a number only to find that my 4 cats all like a cheap brand (that's widely available) - Purina Pro Plan Urinary Formula (dry and wet). It's been at least a couple years since we had a urinary problem (knock on wood)

There's drops you can buy that do give temporary relief, too. If it's an infection, it won't make it go away, but it might give enough relief that they'll quit peeing all over.

Actually, most cats with feline lower urinary tract disease (assuming no complicating issues like diabetes, kidney insufficiency, etc) will benefit most from a transition to canned food (ANY canned food, not necessarily a urinary diet) and other measures to increase water intake. The second most helpful measure in managing feline lower urinary tract disease is stress/anxiety reduction. There are cats who need the RX diets, but those cats are in the minority.

*sigh* I wish. One of our cats has polycystic kidney disease and nearly died from it a couple of times about 7 months ago but amazingly bounced back. So he and the other cat are on dry renal food. At our last vet consult about him and his weird drinking behaviours, the vet said the same - he should be on a canned wet food diet, not dry food. But the little bugger won't eat any canned food. We have tried him on all the flavours of renal wet food* and a wide variety of tinned food (quality stuff all the way down to the cheap and nasty stuff) but he won't eat any of them. If we add a teaspoon of cheap Aldi cat food (only some flavours, not all) to some water, he will usually drink the water but not eat the food.

Other cat doesn't have any kidney issues but we have been trying to get her to eat wet food too. She is the same as our Kidney Cat. She will eat a little bit of cheap Aldi cat food, but will take like 10 minutes to eat ONE teaspoon of food. *sigh*

Lower urinary tract disease refers only to bladder/ urethral issues. Kidney disease is an entirely separate issue and definitely warrants prescription food.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #64 on: January 30, 2016, 04:24:10 PM »
Uggggg it's started up again.  We have been sticking to his diet and cleaning the litter every day. 

We could put a litter box in the area, but it's the dining room so that is less than ideal.  Would it be worthwhile to block his access to that room?

I would go a step further and confine the cat to one room for a while (if possible).

He goes nuts if he is locked in a room and will start scratching at the door to the point that he starts pulling wood off the door. 

What's so confusing about this is that he is using the litter box.  We are cleaning it twice a day and most times it is clear he has been using it.  Its just every 2 days or so there is a puddle in the dining room.

Clean the area where he pees absurdly well. Annihilate any chance that he could possibly still smell a trace of it. Then rearrange the furniture. Change the environment to the extent possible. Hopefully shaking things up will deter him from peeing in "his corner".

On this, cats are very averse to eucalyptis oil, so you can sprinkle it liberally over the spot once you are done cleaning it as well as you can. Bonus: it smells nice and really eliminates any residual pee smell for you, too.

starguru

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #65 on: January 31, 2016, 05:35:18 PM »

On this, cats are very averse to eucalyptis oil, so you can sprinkle it liberally over the spot once you are done cleaning it as well as you can. Bonus: it smells nice and really eliminates any residual pee smell for you, too.

We have been using Natures Miracle.

But at this point it's too much.  Woke up this morning to two massive puddles in the same area.  He is banished to the basement until we figure something out.

Im a bit concerned, he drank almost all of his water over night.  Seems like a lot of water.  Going to call the vet tomorrow. 

purplish

• Stubble
« Reply #66 on: January 31, 2016, 07:29:26 PM »
Anytime our cat randomly starts peeing on the floor or on clothes, it ends up being a UTI.  She has kidney disease, it's super important to get these things checked cause they can be related.

Lis

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #67 on: February 01, 2016, 10:25:56 AM »

Generally, pee is on a horizontal surface and marking is vertical. It's not always black and white though. Standing close to a wall will make it look like marking even though it may not be. And I would say that marking can be both behavioral and medical. Basically I think 99% of peeing outside the litter warrants a trip to the vet to check for UTI, crystals, etc.

I was always told it's a lot less likely to be marking if he's snipped (my boys are too). Usually spray is a lot stronger and more disgusting smelling (we had a male feral in my neighborhood growing up who decided our house was his). My boy just squats and pees.

My mom found this on Amazon, and most of the reviews are great: http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I9SI40S?redirect=true&ref_=pe_849460_165159030_em_1p_0_lm

My vet gave me some wipes last time I went to rub inside the carrier next time I had to take them (they do NOT like the carriers) and it worked like a charm (super surprisingly - one of my cats is virtually silent unless you stick him in the carrier, then he's the loudest cat I've ever heard). I'm very, very tempted to try this, I just don't have an outlet that's very close to the area he tends to use (my apartment isn't very big, but all the outlets are around corners and walls - he pees in the hallway). Anyone else try this? I might order some today and I can report back in a week.

(One day, I'll remember how to insert URLs. But today is not that day.)

MandyM

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #68 on: February 01, 2016, 10:58:53 AM »

I was always told it's a lot less likely to be marking if he's snipped (my boys are too). Usually spray is a lot stronger and more disgusting smelling (we had a male feral in my neighborhood growing up who decided our house was his). My boy just squats and pees.

My mom found this on Amazon, and most of the reviews are great: http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I9SI40S?redirect=true&ref_=pe_849460_165159030_em_1p_0_lm

My vet gave me some wipes last time I went to rub inside the carrier next time I had to take them (they do NOT like the carriers) and it worked like a charm (super surprisingly - one of my cats is virtually silent unless you stick him in the carrier, then he's the loudest cat I've ever heard). I'm very, very tempted to try this, I just don't have an outlet that's very close to the area he tends to use (my apartment isn't very big, but all the outlets are around corners and walls - he pees in the hallway). Anyone else try this? I might order some today and I can report back in a week.

(One day, I'll remember how to insert URLs. But today is not that day.)

Yes, a cat that is neutered is much less likely to mark (I REALLY hope we are all talking about neutered cats). And "marking" may not be the correct term. When I use the term marking, I mean behavioral peeing caused by anxiety or stress. It isn't quite the same as an intact male marking his territory. (also, this is not a male only issue. I have talked to hundreds of people that will only adopt female cats due to marking concerns. I, personally, have had more litter box issues with females.)

I've heard mixed reviews about Feliway. Very mixed - as in, cat savvy people I know have told me very different stories. My guess is that results are very dependent on the cat; some will respond and others will not.

BFGirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #69 on: February 01, 2016, 02:01:21 PM »
Feliway very much helped a cat of mine who was anxious after a move.  The same cat started peeing outside the litter box and was around 13 at the time.  Once we got a shallow pan to use a litter box, it was much better.  I think it may have been painful for her to get in and out of the other one.  Another friend of mine had the same issue with one of her cats who was very young and she got a large shallow storage box and uses it as a litter box and that has solved the problem of her cat peeing on the carpet.

Cressida

• Handlebar Stache
  • gender is a hierarchy
« Reply #70 on: February 01, 2016, 02:42:22 PM »
I don't know if Feliway would have worked on our cats. We tried it, but I had to unplug it after a day because I could not abide the smell of it. N=1.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #71 on: February 01, 2016, 03:22:21 PM »
Quote from: startingsmall link=topic=48832.msg923120#msg923120 date=1451830030
Here's Freaking Maryanne, caught in the act of climbing our Christmas tree.
[/quote
I think you have next year's Holiday card photo. What a cutie!

This year, our rescue kitty loved to sit underneath and stare up at our revolving  tree, but she never touched anything. She's called Alice, which often gets pronounced as Aaaaa-lice (Long "i", as in the vermin.) when she's up to no good.

She occasionally poops in inappropriate places, generally because one of our bad dogs has done something similar before. No amount of cleaning deters the next one from wanting to reclaim the bad place from the last one.

Just this weekend we ordered two tall baby gates because a camera in the great room revealed bad activities by both dogs, the cat and grandma, who has Alzheimer's. The email that their shipment would be delayed almost made me weep.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #72 on: February 02, 2016, 07:14:09 AM »
But Im not going to lie, Im not really into all that paleo/raw/organic gorp.

You know, I'm not either. The cat is the healthiest eater in our little family (the humans in this family eat too much junk and know it), and I can't really argue with the results I've seen with my own eyes. While I do understand that raw feeding isn't for everyone (and some cats outright refuse, no matter how much the owner wants it), I will always advocate a species-appropriate diet, even if it's a high-quality, grain-free wet food. But ymmv--you know your cat and I don't.

I wish you and kitty the best of luck.

Lis

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #73 on: February 02, 2016, 09:52:08 AM »
So I switched back to the cheap, smelly Target brand litter and my little pain in the butt is using it. I still have one litter container full of Worlds Best Cat Litter (flushable, non chemical smell, much more preferable) but even my less picky one is using the icky one. Sigh. Better the gross cat litter than the carpet I suppose... And better a picky cat than a sick one.

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #74 on: February 02, 2016, 10:19:57 AM »
When your cat went to the vet, did they do any blood work? If your cat is still drinking an abnormally large amount of water that could be an indication of kidney failure. Nothing they can do about that one though. Just something to be aware of.

Spondulix

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #75 on: February 12, 2016, 02:46:39 AM »
It can take weeks from a UTI diagnosis/changing foods to their PH really getting back to normal. Here's a couple suggestions:

- Water fountain (vs water bowl). More water = less UTIs
- Herbal UTI relief. There's liquid you can put in their water bowl that somehow helps them pee. It seems to help when they're going through UTI
- More wet food (temporarily)
- Move the box (temporarily) if they're still peeing outside the box. Or get a cardboard box (or plastic bin) and put some paper towels in it. They may be inclined to use that as an alternative

My cats wouldn't eat one of the expensive brands (Royal Canin or Hills - I forget). We had to try a few brands before we found one that worked. I mentioned before I use Purina Urinary now but for a while I also mixed it with Wysong. It's cheaper than the prescription and better ingredients, so good in the interim.

starguru

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #76 on: June 06, 2016, 02:04:53 PM »
Just to update this: so kitty has been in the basement for the last two months.  He has been eating special vet-assigned food to restore his urine pH balance.  We finally let him up over the weekend to see how it would go.

And it started.  Again.

He saw me looking around and that area,  where there was a mark,  and the next thing I see when turning is the damn cat scampering off to the basement.  Little shit knows.

So I don't know what to do.  Im beginning to think it's behavioral. 

Meowmalade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Like "Marmalade". Not like an ailing French cat.
« Reply #77 on: June 06, 2016, 03:12:10 PM »
Our girl cat has cystitis (which is all the symptoms of a UTI, but not an actual infection, so it can't be cured).  The only solution is to give her painkillers for about 5 days when she gets a flare-up and starts peeing outside.  We have two litterboxes in our bedroom and another two downstairs, all because of her bathroom finickiness-- she would rather go outside the box than go in a soiled one.  One of the bedroom ones now lives permanently behind the door, which is a terrible place for it, but which seems to be the preferred box for both cats.

Have you tried putting a box where the cat's been going?  That might be the solution... once he starts using it consistently, you can move it about an inch a day to relocate it very slowly to your desired location.

Nederstash

• Bristles
« Reply #78 on: June 06, 2016, 03:22:41 PM »
Just to update this: so kitty has been in the basement for the last two months.  He has been eating special vet-assigned food to restore his urine pH balance.  We finally let him up over the weekend to see how it would go.

And it started.  Again.

He saw me looking around and that area,  where there was a mark,  and the next thing I see when turning is the damn cat scampering off to the basement.  Little shit knows.

So I don't know what to do.  Im beginning to think it's behavioral.

Well if someone locked me in a basement for two months I'd pee on all your stuff out of pure spite.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!